PDA

View Full Version : Mentally Ill Man Dies Hooded and Strapped to Chair, Prison Staff Make Jokes

phill4paul
06-24-2014, 05:52 AM
COLORADO: A mentally ill prison inmate has died in custody, hooded and strapped to a chair, following a seizure – while guards are caught on tape stood around joking, and failing to attend to his medical needs.

According to the lawsuit filed by the family, at least 16 state prison staff members did nothing to help Christopher Lopez, 35, as he suffered seizures and died after being restrained in a chair, as documented in the video provided to 9News.

Lopez, who suffered from bipolar schizoaffective disorder, had just been released from nine-and-a-half months in solitary confinement when he was discovered lying on the floor in his cell barely conscious. Instead of calling for medical assistance, the guards are alleged to have put Lopez in chains and placed a ‘spit hood’ over his head before strapping him into a chair.

In the video, while trapped in the hood and chair, Lopez can be seen having one or two grand mal seizures before slumping over. It is not clear if any staff saw the seizures as the video camera filming him appeared to be unmanned.

Eventually prison staff remove Lopez from the chair, and place him on his side on the ground, with one officer saying,

”Holler if anything changes,” and another replying, “Like, if he stops breathing?”

As the hours pass, where vital medical intervention might have saved Lopez’ life, instead clueless prison staff orbit his unconscious body – aiming jokes, cusses and insults at the prostrate and dying man.

An on-call mental-health clinician speaks to Lopez through the food slot in his door, “What are you doing? Why are you doing this?”

She then adds “I can see you breathing.”

“Is he still on the floor?” asks one guard to which another replies, “Uh huh.”

Another guard can be heard to say “He likes it on the floor.”

The officers then hang out by the door to Lopez’ cell talking about Disneyland and Walmart before deciding to take Lopez out of his restraints.

It isn’t until 9:24 a.m., 18 minutes after the video shows Lopez taking his last breath, that an officer says, “We need to check this guy’s pulse.”

Finding no pulse, prison medical staff attempted CPR – too little, too late.

Read more...http://iacknowledge.net/mentally-ill-man-dies-hooded-and-strapped-to-chair-while-prison-staff-make-jokes/

http://iacknowledge.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/A0057-750x400.jpg

Does this look familiar?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/assets/2014/02/nick-christie-pepper-sprayed-300x225.jpg

Working Poor
06-24-2014, 06:13 AM
dammit

Terry1
06-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Jeez--how barbaric. I hope they get what's coming to them. I didn't think this kind of stuff still went on.

Occam's Banana
06-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Not intentionally malevolent.

I hope all the brave staff managed to make it home without getting any spit on them ...

mrsat_98
06-24-2014, 06:46 AM
There are two Garland County Arkansas deputies trying to figure out how to pay a 5 million dollar judgment for leaving a fellow in his cell who OD'd and died, there is another similar issue in Union County Arkansas. Once you are in custody you are considered a non person by statute ( i.e. animal).

DamianTV
06-24-2014, 06:59 AM
There are two Garland County Arkansas deputies trying to figure out how to pay a 5 million dollar judgment for leaving a fellow in his cell who OD'd and died, there is another similar issue in Union County Arkansas. Once you are in custody you are considered a non person by statute ( i.e. animal).

Change "custody" to "accused of any crime" and I think its a bit more applicable, although it doesnt follow the exact letter of the law. They consinder us to be "animals". Well know fact. Why does anyone that comes here think we constantly use words like "mundane" or "just-us"?