PDA

View Full Version : Why was there a fully armed M113 on a US interstate on 6/20/2013?

osan
06-21-2014, 04:59 PM
On 6/20/2013 my wife and I got onto I-79 S at Elkview, WV. About 2 miles along the way a column of two vehicles caught my attention. Leading, a full desert camo Humvee. Trailing, an M113 APC in what was apparently full battle array. There was a man on the mounted weapon, either an M241 or M2, boxed, belted, and presumably loaded and ready to rock. Gunner appeared to be in full battle armor. Two other men, each fully armored and equipped with M16s were out the other two hatches. No idea whether anyone additionally other than the driver was aboard.

This caught my eye, as you might imagine, and I immediately called a friend. He found it VERY unusual. He called around and discovered that such comportment is generally regarded as a no-no. 6/20 was WV's birthday. Had they been on their way to some parade, the gun should have been sporting a blue, non-functioning parade barrel. It was not.

I have never before witnessed a combat vehicle on an interstate under its own power. I've seen countless tanks, APCs, Bradleys, 155s, and so forth on trailers, but never once one under its own power. This was a tracked vehicle, no less.

Can anyone offer a reason such a vehicle with what was presumably a fully armed and battle-ready crew was doing on an American interstate?

kcchiefs6465
06-21-2014, 05:03 PM
On 6/20/2013 my wife and I got onto I-79 S at Elkview, WV. About 2 miles along the way a column of two vehicles caught my attention. Leading, a full desert camo Humvee. Trailing, an M113 APC in what was apparently full battle array. There was a man on the mounted weapon, either an M241 or M2, boxed, belted, and presumably loaded and ready to rock. Gunner appeared to be in full battle armor. Two other men, each fully armored and equipped with M16s were out the other two hatches. No idea whether anyone additionally other than the driver was aboard.

This caught my eye, as you might imagine, and I immediately called a friend. He found it VERY unusual. He called around and discovered that such comportment is generally regarded as a no-no. 6/20 was WV's birthday. Had they been on their way to some parade, the gun should have been sporting a blue, non-functioning parade barrel. It was not.

I have never before witnessed a combat vehicle on an interstate under its own power. I've seen countless tanks, APCs, Bradleys, 155s, and so forth on trailers, but never once one under its own power. This was a tracked vehicle, no less.

Can anyone offer a reason such a vehicle with what was presumably a fully armed and battle-ready crew was doing on an American interstate?
Because they are fascists. (I could expound, if wanted)

I believe the title is meant for yesterday and not a year ago?

MelissaWV
06-21-2014, 05:05 PM
If it was late at night/early in the morning, I can say I've seen the same thing before in WV, MD, and VA. That doesn't make it any less disturbing.

osan
06-21-2014, 05:09 PM
It was ca. noontide.

aGameOfThrones
06-21-2014, 05:12 PM
because of terrierists like the one in boston

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-21-2014, 05:15 PM

To combat little boys and girls with lemonade stands and book exchanges in their front yards.

Pericles
06-21-2014, 05:23 PM
If it is a M113A3 I call first dibs on it.

http://www.military-today.com/apc/m113a3.jpg

ZENemy
06-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Obliviously a special delivery of freedom.

kcchiefs6465
06-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Music video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J3TuZbVz34

Occam's Banana
06-22-2014, 04:02 AM

... 'coz 'Murrica! That's why! Theye built the system for Themme - not for thee or me ...

FTA (footnotes & links elided): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_System

The Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways (commonly known as the Interstate Highway System, Interstate Freeway System, Interstate System, or simply the Interstate) is [...] named for President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who championed its formation.

[... Eisenhower] was influenced by his experiences as a young Army officer crossing the country in the 1919 Army Convoy on the Lincoln Highway, the first road across America. Eisenhower gained an appreciation of the Reichsautobahn system, the first "national" implementation of modern Germany's Autobahn network, as a necessary component of a national defense system while he was serving as Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in Europe during World War II. He recognized that the proposed system would also provide key ground transport routes for military supplies and troop deployments in case of an emergency or foreign invasion. [...]

A Son of Liberty
06-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Accustomisation.

pcosmar
06-22-2014, 08:52 AM
A few years ago I predicted that this would be seen.

"Mark my words" I said..

crazy I was called.

I take absolutely no pleasure in being right. :(

Anti Federalist
06-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Militarized police state gonna militarize...

osan
06-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Accustomisation.

That was what the wife said right off. "They want us to get used to seeing this."

A Son of Liberty
06-22-2014, 03:21 PM
That was what the wife said right off. "They want us to get used to seeing this."

I've seen them around a time or two myself, and that was what I thought. And not just for us to get used to seeing it, but for the soldiers to be patrolling American roadways.

tod evans
06-22-2014, 03:52 PM
I've seen them around a time or two myself, and that was what I thought. And not just for us to get used to seeing it, but for the soldiers to be patrolling American roadways.

I'm sure these exercises are portrayed to the soldiers as "anti-terrorist" activities.....

What they fail to tell them is that we're the terrorists...:o