PDA

View Full Version : David Young wins 3rd District GOP nomination in stunning upset

MichaelDavis
06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
David Young, a former chief of staff to U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley, won a stunning upset victory Saturday to capture the Iowa Republican Party's nomination in what is expected to be a nationally watched race to succeed U.S. Rep. Tom Latham.

Young's win came on the fifth ballot at a convention of 3rd Congressional District delegates at Des Moines Christian School in Urbandale. The day had begun with six candidates vying for the nomination, but the final ballot came down to a decision between Young and state Sen. Brad Zaun of Urbandale.

Zaun had led on the first four ballots and had been in first place in a June 3 primary among six candidates, but he couldn't get enough votes from rural county delegates to secure the nomination. As the balloting proceeded and other candidates dropped out, Young's candidacy gained in strength.

"I am trusted, tried and true in my conservative thought," Young said. "I am asking for your vote."

The final ballot had Young with 276 delegate votes, or 55.5 percent, to Zaun's 221 votes, or 45.5 percent"

Vanguard101
06-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Won by the same amount as Brat did. Around the same number too

"
Zero Based Budgeting – this solution simply means that each year, the funding level for all government programs and agencies will begin at $0. This is a better budgeting practice than giving every program the same amount as last year, plus a raise.
Sunset Legislation – attaching a sunset clause to every law enacted by Congress means policies will no longer outlive their usefulness. When the sunset date arrives, Congress will examine the program anew and determine if it should continue for another finite period of time.
Full Federal Audit – the budget of every government department and agency should undergo a thorough outside audit to ensure taxpayer funds are being used in the most effective manner possible.
Flatter, Fairer, Simpler Tax Code – the current U.S. tax code is 74,000 pages long. Giving a percentage of your income to fund the government should not require us to hire professional assistance. Additionally, the longer the code the more loopholes exist and the more opportunity there is to skirt the system and engage in fraudulent activity.
Balanced Budget Amendment – it is often said states are the test tubes of democracy. The concept here is simple: never spend more money than you have revenue. In Iowa, this concept is just common sense.
Full Repeal of Obamacare – The disastrous rollout of government run Obamacare is the prophetic announcement of the real mess to come. Trying to fix our health care system via a top-down approach, will never improve a broken system. All Americans deserve the benefits of lower health care prices, better access to providers, and less government spending.
"

Some stuff about him

William Tell
06-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Our people were supporting Zaun.

RandallFan
06-21-2014, 05:14 PM
http://stevedeace.com/news/iowa-says-yes-to-gubment-again/

(http://stevedeace.com/news/iowa-says-yes-to-gubment-again/)
The only reason to elevate Young at the end was a need for government, as Young articulated in his speech before the final vote to the big government delegates up-for-grabs. He made the case he doesn’t want to burn down Washington, D.C., with a Congress that has the lowest approval rating in the history of anything polled by Gallup. And that got him the big government supporters previously pledged to a lobbyist he needed to put him over the to

Keith and stuff
06-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Even if this is a loss for liberty, it is still a darn interesting story. Thanks for sharing with us.

RandallFan
06-22-2014, 05:49 PM
I don't think he is too bad a candidate. He will always be overshadowed by Grassley, possibly Ernst and Steve King.

jon4liberty
06-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Iowa has just been awful this year. Besides a few good liberty candidates, I definitely got my hopes up and expected better results. I can't find myself voting this year. I mean Joni Ernst, Terry Brandstadt, and David Young in three key Iowa races no thanks.

Keith and stuff
06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Iowa has just been awful this year. Besides a few good liberty candidates, I definitely got my hopes up and expected better results. I can't find myself voting this year. I mean Joni Ernst, Terry Brandstadt, and David Young in three key Iowa races no thanks.

Some of the decent state rep. candidates won this year. Just pay attention closer to the general. The Ron Paul folks should make sure you know who to vote for ;)

malkusm
06-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Rod Blum is supposedly good in IA-1, no? YAL PAC endorsed him...

MichaelDavis
06-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Rod Blum is supposedly good in IA-1, no? YAL PAC endorsed him...

He is, but the district is solidly Democratic. It would take the perfect candidate in a wave election year to win this seat.

Not voting is giving up one of our most sacred privileges. Just remember that (almost) every Republican is better than every Democrat. I challenge anyone to name one pro-liberty congressional Democrat. The entire purpose pf the Democratic Party is to expand government.

XTreat
06-23-2014, 11:40 AM
He is, but the district is solidly Democratic. It would take the perfect candidate in a wave election year to win this seat.

Not voting is giving up one of our most sacred privileges. Just remember that (almost) every Republican is better than every Democrat. I challenge anyone to name one pro-liberty congressional Democrat. The entire purpose pf the Democratic Party is to expand government.

I imagine there are several here, myself included, that would challenge that line of thinking, because a vote is such a powerful thing. If cast unwisely that vote could amount to all manner of horrible things being done in your name. There are about 350 Republicans in congress I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, but I donate to Amash and Massie every time they ask. A vote is earned, just having the right letter next to your name isn't good enough to get me off my couch.

I don't want to speak for everyone else, but I would guess that this is the more prevalent thought process here.

I can name several D's that are better on certain issues than most R's, Ron Wyden on privacy and civil liberties is better than 90% of R's.

MichaelDavis
06-23-2014, 08:20 PM
I imagine there are several here, myself included, that would challenge that line of thinking, because a vote is such a powerful thing. If cast unwisely that vote could amount to all manner of horrible things being done in your name. There are about 350 Republicans in congress I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, but I donate to Amash and Massie every time they ask. A vote is earned, just having the right letter next to your name isn't good enough to get me off my couch.

I don't want to speak for everyone else, but I would guess that this is the more prevalent thought process here.

I can name several D's that are better on certain issues than most R's, Ron Wyden on privacy and civil liberties is better than 90% of R's.

http://congress.freedomworks.org/legislators/ron-wyden
http://www.thenewamerican.com/freedomindex/profile.php?id=W000779
http://scorecard.organizeliberty.org/legislator/300100/ron-wyden