PDA

View Full Version : Leawood shuts down boy's little free library

Suzanimal
06-19-2014, 08:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EstgiDZm.jpg

A 9-year-old Leawood boy is doing his part to promote reading, but he's hit a roadblock.

Leawood city leaders have told Spencer Collins that he has to stop sharing books with his neighbors.

Collins had to take down his little free library, essentially a communal bookshelf, on Wednesday. The motto of the sharing center had been "take a book, leave a book," but Collins learned there's a lot less give and take in city government.

Collins loves reading. He doesn't just dive into a book -- he swims through its pages.

"It's kind of like I'm in a whole other world and I like that," he said. "I like adventure stories because I'm in the adventure and it's fun."

When he tried to share his love for books, it started a surprisingly frustrating adventure.

"When we got home from vacation, there was a letter from the city of Leawood saying that it was in code violation and it needed to be down by the 19th or we would receive a citation," said Spencer's mother, Sarah Collins.

Leawood said the little house is an accessory structure. The city bans buildings that aren't attached to someone's home.

The family moved the little library to the garage, but Spencer Collins said he plans to take the issue up with City Hall.

"I would tell them why it's good for the community and why they should drop the law," he said. "I just want to talk to them about how good it is."

"We empathize with them, but we still have to follow the rules," said Richard Coleman of the City of Leawood. "We need to treat everybody the same. So we can't say if somebody files a complaint but we like the little libraries -- we think they're cute -- so we ignore it. We can't do that."

Leawood said it has received two complaints about Spencer Collins' library.
:mad: Assholes that complain about a kid's little library need to get a life.

Collins said he's trying to think outside the box, looking for ways to keep the library going within the letter of the law.

"I thought, why not get a rope and attach it to our house and the library?" he said.:) I like the way that kid thinks, keep an eye out for him~he's going places.

Several surrounding cities also have little libraries. Prairie Village told KMBC 9's Haley Harrison that the city simply doesn't enforce codes that would restrict little free libraries.

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/news/leawood-shuts-down-boys-little-free-library/26552394#ixzz358rpt3JU

Anti Federalist
06-19-2014, 08:40 PM

That's Boobus.

And why I have no sympathy whatsoever for what Boobus is going to get.

My only problem is that assholes like that are going to drag the few of us that still have our heads screwed on straight, right along with them into hell on earth.

TonySutton
06-19-2014, 08:53 PM
If you are on facebook you can visit his page and give some support https://www.facebook.com/Spencerslittlefreelibrary

satchelmcqueen
06-19-2014, 09:32 PM
"We empathize with them, but we still have to follow the rules," said Richard Coleman of the City of Leawood.

well do away with the fucking law asshole!!

dannno
06-19-2014, 09:34 PM
"I thought, why not get a rope and attach it to our house and the library?"

Wow, the kid is really a genius.

jclay2
06-19-2014, 09:40 PM
These city officials can go jump in a lake. What type of sick ****, goes and takes down a communal library started by a 9 year old.

Henry Rogue
06-19-2014, 09:47 PM
The park bench is also an accessory structure.

Henry Rogue
06-19-2014, 09:54 PM
"We empathize with them, but we still have to follow the rules," said Richard Coleman of the City of Leawood.

well do away with the fucking law asshole!!
Then tree houses and those little sheds that hold lawn tractors and leaf blowers would be popping up all over the city, it would be anarchy.

bunklocoempire
06-19-2014, 10:05 PM
I wonder if he has Bastiat and the other greats for his library. He seems a bright and caring lad, he might be running the town by this time next year with a bunch of folks watching his back and driving that perverted law monster into the pit.

EBounding
06-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Good. This makes me feel safer.

Spikender
06-19-2014, 10:11 PM

Kids like Spencer haven't had their minds clamped down on by the state just yet.

That's Boobus.

And why I have no sympathy whatsoever for what Boobus is going to get.

My only problem is that assholes like that are going to drag the few of us that still have our heads screwed on straight, right along with them into hell on earth.

I sometimes just feel like kicking back, lighting up a joint, and letting them just enjoy the shitstorm they've made while I sit back and watch.

But it just hurts too much not to do anything.

phill4paul
06-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Is there not just one human being, not boobus, that will stand and say "enough?"

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjDSzwr0d2cHDbZED-QAWrGbTlu_MQKI60WfOusAPdOxPDLITVtQ

Paulbot99
06-19-2014, 11:31 PM
Does this kid have a criminal record now? I wouldn't be surprised if he's seen as a troubled child in public school.

oyarde
06-20-2014, 08:14 AM
So this town has no sheds ?

libertyjam
06-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Then tree houses and those little sheds that hold lawn tractors and leaf blowers would be popping up all over the city, it would be anarchy.

So this town has no sheds ?

Exactly, most places are smart enough that they don't write codes that forbid the everyday garden shed! F**ing idiots everywhere!

thoughtomator
06-20-2014, 09:24 AM
I would FOIA these alleged complaints. I bet they are fabricated.

Philhelm
06-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Even the most bloodthirsty tyrants throughout history wouldn't give a shit about a kid doing this. Our tyrants are so fucking weak and pathetic that it's beyond belief that they haven't yet been put to the sword.

pcosmar
06-20-2014, 12:14 PM
You have to be a sick fuck to apply for a job in code enforcement,, but you have to be a truly evil individual to get hired. :(

luctor-et-emergo
06-20-2014, 12:54 PM
I do not promote the act of reading but I think anyone should be allowed to have any books they like and share them with their friends. It's not like reading a book will make you kill someone, the days people thought that are over.

Wait what ? Sicko's, worry about a real problem, people not having job opportunities or something...

"I thought, why not get a rope and attach it to our house and the library?"
At least something that made me smile. Although, I'm not sure if he's going to be rewarded for having good logic and a sense of humor. I made similar comments when I was a kid and usually people didn't understand, they still don't. People don't like having to argue with a kid, especially if they're losing the argument.

Even though it's a sad story it's good to read this kid and his parents aren't backing down !

phill4paul
06-20-2014, 01:03 PM
We cannot have an unregulated free market. The government is in charge of libraries. To let individuals compete would mean total anarchy. Who would be there to put scofflaws in jail for over due books?

It's an issue that has cost libraries a lot of money. Nearly 150 libraries in Texas participated in a survey earlier this year that found 966,000 items were checked out long enough to be considered lost, with the total cost exceeding $18.2 million, said Gloria Meraz, a spokeswoman for the Texas Library Association

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20131226-book-em-texan-s-arrest-for-overdue-library-book-a-rare-case-but-not-unheard-of.ece

Henry Rogue
06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Why democracy doesn't result in Liberty.

From comments below article.

ROKWUD**Betsy Smith Soppitt*•*2 days ago

As much as I agree with you, and would think it the right thing to do for Leewood to take Prairie Village's stance on 'ignoring' the law for these book things these great kids are doing, if they let someone slide, then......there'd always be someone taking advantage of the loophole, although I don't know how, but you know they would.

Leewood and other cities should come up with specific lightweight rules for the kids to do these book things, and make them code. That's the right thing to do.
And this person had 14 likes and zero dislikes, but they will sing with pride and reverence, "land of the free and home of the brave". :rolleyes:

V3n
06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Does this town have mailboxes at the street? Everyone's in violation! !

amy31416
06-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Who are the two fucktwats who complained to the city? That's what I want to know.

limequat
06-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Who are the two fucktwats who complained to the city? That's what I want to know.

1) Code enforcement fucktwat
2) Code enforcement manager fucktwat

(can dudes use "fucktwat" too, or it kinda like the "n word" and it's not cool?)

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 03:19 PM
I would FOIA these alleged complaints. I bet they are fabricated.

Could be, but I doubt it...there are some very small and petty Boobisie out there.

amy31416
06-20-2014, 03:26 PM
1) Code enforcement fucktwat
2) Code enforcement manager fucktwat

(can dudes use "fucktwat" too, or it kinda like the "n word" and it's not cool?)

I encourage the use of the descriptor "fucktwat" for any gender, race or religion when describing a snitch/nanny.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-20-2014, 03:27 PM
My wife and I were at the public library getting movies. It was 8 minutes until closing when this guy who works there walks right by us. This prick goes to the light switch and shuts it off without saying a word about closing. They also do not even have announcements about when they close, but I was fully aware of their closing time before I walked in the door that day. I walked over to the light switch and turned it back on. The other employee looked at us and just shook her head. Guess I was lucky I did not get tazed.

Yeah, I should not even be in a public library anyway. We just went to Goodwill and bought VHS tapes for 75 cent each. I had to watch Titanic last night, but even that beats the public library experience.

Acala
06-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Could be, but I doubt it...there are some very small and petty Boobisie out there.

Yup. I can almost guarantee that there were actual complaints. Most cities don't have the resources to go looking for trouble so code enforcement like this is generally complaint-driven.

The people in this country have victimized themselves.

mad cow
06-20-2014, 03:33 PM

Barnes & Noble?

Suzanimal
I encourage the use of the descriptor "fucktwat" for any gender, race or religion when describing a snitch/nanny.

I concur, fucktwat is not only acceptable but encouraged in this context. I think boobus is actually too nice for the kind of douchebaggery it takes to nark out a kid for having little free library.

Henry Rogue
My wife and I were at the public library getting movies. It was 8 minutes until closing when this guy who works there walks right by us. This prick goes to the light switch and shuts it off without saying a word about closing. They also do not even have announcements about when they close, but I was fully aware of their closing time before I walked in the door that day. I walked over to the light switch and turned it back on. The other employee looked at us and just shook her head. Guess I was lucky I did not get tazed.

Yeah, I should not even be in a public library anyway. We just went to Goodwill and bought VHS tapes for 75 cent each. I had to watch Titanic last night, but even that beats the public library experience.
Public Library SWAT teams and MRAPs are budgeted for next year.

kcchiefs6465
06-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Why democracy doesn't result in Liberty.

From comments below article.

ROKWUD**Betsy Smith Soppitt*•*2 days ago

As much as I agree with you, and would think it the right thing to do for Leewood to take Prairie Village's stance on 'ignoring' the law for these book things these great kids are doing, if they let someone slide, then......there'd always be someone taking advantage of the loophole, although I don't know how, but you know they would.

Leewood and other cities should come up with specific lightweight rules for the kids to do these book things, and make them code. That's the right thing to do.

And this person had 14 likes and zero dislikes, but they will sing with pride and reverence, "land of the free and home of the brave". :rolleyes:
Thank you for sharing that, Henry.

*mixes drink*

specsaregood
06-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Yup. I can almost guarantee that there were actual complaints. Most cities don't have the resources to go looking for trouble so code enforcement like this is generally complaint-driven.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Leawood is a wealthy town, with median income more than double that of the state. Mostly executives, doctors and lots of lawyers live there. With that said, the same type of douchebags that would make such complaints.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Never underestimate the capacity for your friend or neighbor to rat you out. These cock suckers are also your enemy.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Another thought. The po-lice and other bureaucrats like to claim that their hands are tied in these situations. This, as we know, is total baloney. They are a full one third of government and have wide discretion.

Somebody once stole my car, but I had to file a report over the phone. You'd think they might pick up a tip or two on how to stop crime by examining the "crime scene," but these lazy monkeys could not even be bothered to come out. They won't come out for this, but crap their pants when a little kid sticks a few books in some dog house thing.

This library villain boy is the perfect example of their tied hands baloney. The article said the other town(s) are not even bothering with something this ridiculous.

MelissaWV
06-20-2014, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Leawood is a wealthy town, with median income more than double that of the state. Mostly executives, doctors and lots of lawyers live there. With that said, the same type of douchebags that would make such complaints.

Given there are only two complaints, I buy it.

The first complaint likely included the terms "eyesore" and "property value."

The second feared for the child's safety.

kcchiefs6465
06-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Book drive?

Weston White
06-20-2014, 06:00 PM
"Leawood said the little house is an accessory structure. The city bans buildings that aren't attached to someone's home."

...Still waiting to see the building structure in question.

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 06:24 PM
...Still waiting to see the building structure in question.

So everybody is clear on just what the non compliant structures were:

amy31416
06-20-2014, 06:27 PM
So...no birdhouses either?

MelissaWV
06-20-2014, 06:44 PM
These ordinances have very very very long lists/definitions for what can and can't be allowed. They're designed that way so no one really reads them, especially the police or those who've been fined.

No accessory building, structure or use, or temporary building, structure or use shall hereafter be built, moved, remodeled, established, altered or enlarged unless such accessory building, structure, or use is permitted by and in conformance with the provisions of Section 16-4-1 of this Ordinance, and all other regulations or requirements pertaining, whether generally or specifically, to the district in which such building, structure, or use is located.

Section 16-4-1 states: (in part)

10. Children's play equipment including swing sets, jungle gyms, sandboxes, playhouses, tree houses and other related equipment, provided playhouses do not exceed 64 square feet in gross floor area, with a maximum door width of 24" and 15 feet in total height measured from the ground to the highest point. Only one playhouse is allowed per residence.

21. Hobby or craft activities operated by the occupant only provided that articles produced or constructed are not sold on the premises.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.leawood.org%2FPDF%2FLeawood% 2520Development%2520Ordinance.pdf&ei=EdOkU8XFC8yqyATG9oDIAw&usg=AFQjCNGoTy0FpwXW4RRywN7AA4X0AihmTQ&bvm=bv.69411363,d.aWw

^ will open a pdf

Acala
06-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Another thought. The po-lice and other bureaucrats like to claim that their hands are tied in these situations. This, as we know, is total baloney.

True. They have discretion. But as a practical matter here is what happens:

Someone complains to the code enforcement department about a violation of the code. Either it is a feud between neighbors or a neighbor who is just an asshole or it is a neighbor who is pissed because they were previously bitten by the code and now out of spite they are going to spread the misery. Whatever the reason, a complaint is made. If the problem doesn't go away, they call again and again. Each time they call, somebody at the city has their soap opera interrupted and they get annoyed so they send someone out to cite the owner. If the problem still doesn't go away, then the neighbor calls their council ward office. The ward office doesn't like to get calls from unhappy constituents and also doesn't like their soap opera interrupted so the ward office calls the department. The department doesn't like to piss off the ward office because they won't get their budget increase next cycle so they increase the heat on the property owner. Etc. And so a little more joy gets squeezed out of life in America.

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 06:57 PM
And so a little more joy gets squeezed out of life in America.

A little more joy, a little more freedom, a little more common sense, a little more "live and let live".

We are surrounded by a population of the most uptight, grasping, clutching, scraping, backsliding, backhanded, nerve wracking, mind numbing, complicit, duplicitous, scandalous sons of bitches that the world has ever seen collected in one location.

Ugh...neighbors...

phill4paul
06-20-2014, 07:00 PM
A little more joy, a little more freedom, a little more common sense, a little more "live and let live".

We are surrounded by a population of the most uptight, grasping, clutching, scraping, backsliding, backhanded, nerve wracking, mind numbing, complicit, duplicitous, scandalous son of bitches that the world has ever seen collected in one location.

Ugh...neighbors...

sig worthy in entirety. +rep.

Take a bow.

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 07:10 PM
sig worthy in entirety. +rep.

Take a bow.

I mean, Christ, who the hell calls the town hall or the cops over this????

An ugly, small, petty, wretched piece of shit, that's who.

One who is acting out the third base want of mankind:

Exercising some petty power over their fellow man.

People like that actually get a thrill out of squashing the joy out of somebody else's day.

Exactly like crabs in a bucket...

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 07:10 PM
////

phill4paul
06-20-2014, 07:32 PM
I mean, Christ, who the hell calls the town hall or the cops over this????

An ugly, small, petty, wretched piece of shit, that's who.

One who is acting out the third base want of mankind:

Exercising some petty power over their fellow man.

People like that actually get a thrill out of squashing the joy out of somebody else's day.

Exactly like crabs in a bucket...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjDSzwr0d2cHDbZED-QAWrGbTlu_MQKI60WfOusAPdOxPDLITVtQ.....

is the only solution.

The simple fact that it has gotten this far is a testament of mind control, the societal effemination of men and the destruction of the family. We are fooked. Well and truly.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-20-2014, 08:14 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjDSzwr0d2cHDbZED-QAWrGbTlu_MQKI60WfOusAPdOxPDLITVtQ.....

is the only solution.

Hmmm, perhaps. There is a time and place for everything. This one however, might be handled a different way. It's often obvious who has snitched. Seems to me that somebody, somewhere must have taken exception to this kind of thing. Maybe it was a well placed rock thrown through a bedroom window that sent a chill up the spine of the snitch. Maybe it was something a little more drastic, depending on the severity of nosy parker's transgression. Perhaps the tattletale learned a lesson and never snitched again, or at least, it curbed the rat's behavior. Maybe the word got and influenced others not to do it.

phill4paul
06-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Hmmm, perhaps. There is a time and place for everything. This one however, might be handled a different way. It's often obvious who has snitched. Seems to me that somebody, somewhere must have taken exception to this kind of thing. Maybe it was a well placed rock thrown through a bedroom window that sent a chill up the spine of the snitch. Maybe it was something a little more drastic, depending on the severity of nosy parker's transgression. Perhaps the tattletale learned a lesson and never snitched again, or at least, it curbed the rat's behavior. Maybe the word got and influenced others not to do it.

Naw. That only enforces the belief that government needs to protect others from vigilantes. Cow the government and the snitches, tattletales and rat's will fall in line once they have no no one to enforce their spineless will. Snitches, tattletales and rat's will have their way until there is a reckoning. Politics isn't gonna solve it.

tangent4ronpaul
06-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Little Free Libraries are a national movement. We have several around here. You can look up where your local ones are here:

http://littlefreelibrary.org/

They have a gallery of some of them. Quite creative.

our area also has no building codes for treehouses and sells rain barrels cheap, unlike a neigboring county that will fine you for collecting rainwater. God help you if you have a chicken, though... :(

If I were that kid, I'd build it on a dolly and have a sign up sheet for who wants to host it what month. Since it's on wheels, it's no longer a structure and the code is different and since you normally get a month to correct the situation, making it nomadic fixes the problem...

-t

satchelmcqueen
06-20-2014, 10:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tP9fI2zbE

PRB
06-21-2014, 03:52 AM
what about bird feeders?

MelissaWV
06-21-2014, 06:03 AM
what about bird feeders?

Already addressed earlier...

These laws have very, very long and precise sections devoted to defining what does and does not constitute a violation.

What is typical but saddening here is that it seems that the "structure" in this case should be covered under two different subsections. The child is not selling the hobby/craft items (they are free), and also his "structure" looks like a playset, which is allowed. The laws should not exist, but if they are going to exist, and the cops are going to do this, you'd hope that they'd at least have a real violation to back up their action.

Occam's Banana
06-21-2014, 06:09 AM
:rolleyes::mad:

Thank you for sharing that, Henry.

*mixes drink*

With or without cyanide (arsenic, anti-freeze, etc.) ... ?

LibForestPaul
06-21-2014, 06:34 AM
1."We empathize with them, but we still have to follow the rules," said Richard Coleman of the City of Leawood.
2."Exactly, most places are smart enough that they don't write codes that forbid the everyday garden shed"
3."Who are the two fucktwats who complained to the city? That's what I want to know.

1. No they don't. They are because they want to. They have discretion. They have their interpretations of the law
2. The law is so written that it can be interpreted in numerous ways. Ways that may be beneficial to certain privileged citizens, and detrimental to other less privileged citizens.
3. Probably some little old lady, and some librarian. Don't underestimate how much your neighbor hates you.

56ktarget
06-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Its funny how that libertarians are all about the "rule of law" except when they aren't...

PRB
06-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Never underestimate the capacity for your friend or neighbor to rat you out. These cock suckers are also your enemy.

that's what you get for not paying them off

MelissaWV
06-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Its funny how that libertarians are all about the "rule of law" except when they aren't...

1. Wow I've never seen two red rectangles before.
2. Please link to someone who supports a bunch of laws just for the sake of the "rule of law" on these forums, or an a libertarian forum, or really in most places (even non-internet, non-libertarian folks will generally not support every single law just because it's a law).

heavenlyboy34
06-21-2014, 02:20 PM
SMFH.
http://bellzor.shapemeup.se/files/2013/05/triple_facepalm_by_spottedheart98464-d3kuyp3.png

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Except that it's not about law, but rather order.

56ktarget
06-21-2014, 04:17 PM
http://m.youtube.com/results?q=ron%20paul%20rule%20of%20law&sm=3

Straight from ron paul himself. Try again paulites.

MelissaWV
06-21-2014, 04:52 PM

Wow you can do a search! It's a shame you did not actually read or view things you linked to. The phrase "follow the Constitution" is quite prevalent, and Dr. Paul has never said one should not fight to change laws that are corrupt, excessive, or not even properly enforced.

In fact, as I linked earlier, the child was NOT IN VIOLATION OF ANYTHING.

Please. *Don't* try again.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-21-2014, 05:05 PM

So you googled "Ron Paul" and "rule of law" and then posted the list. Might want to try again yourself.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Thomas Jefferson on order, and refreshing the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants and patriots:

"Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusetts?...God forbid we should ever be 20. years without such a rebellion...If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...

We have had 13. states independant 11. years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century and a half for each state. What country ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms...

What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusets: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order."

--Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

kcchiefs6465
06-21-2014, 05:27 PM
He's not looking to actually have a debate. Many have been quite courteous and offering of information. It pops in from time to time to [badly] troll.

I'd personally welcome his responses to Bryan's on gun control and one regarding taxes [?] (I don't recall the second subject exactly but it was on the lines of economic policy).

osan
06-21-2014, 05:35 PM

Wanna see genius? Behold, Avery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_x_vrSZBM

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Wanna see genius? Behold, Avery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_x_vrSZBM

Very nice and outstanding.

And his nickname is "Painkiller"? Heh heh. Double outstanding.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
He's not looking to actually have a debate...It pops in from time to time to [badly] troll.

User 56KIncomeforAll is very weak and very slothful. It's probably from spending too much time on Democratic Underground. Any really debater on that forum is quickly banned. It results in an echo chamber that weakens their already weak thought processes.

56K comes over here and thinks the emotional arguments that fly over there are going to work here. Too bad his metrosexual and liberal friends don't have to actually debate when negotiating their government handouts.

amy31416
06-21-2014, 06:23 PM

What's that again Skippy?

Anti Federalist
06-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Don't underestimate how much your neighbor hates you.

KCIndy
06-21-2014, 06:30 PM
You have to be a sick fuck to apply for a job in code enforcement,, but you have to be a truly evil individual to get hired. :(

Dennis Rader (The infamous "BTK Killer") was a code enforcer.

I know there will be people who will jump up and down in indignation and yell, "Not all code enforcers are bad!!! Quit generalizing!!!" Even so, I think there must be some sort of control-freak, power hungry pettiness in the souls of those who work as code enforcers. Seriously. What sort of person gets off on making people's lives miserable over tiny, meaningless, harmless infractions of laws that are already 99% of the way to full-blown stupid?

See if this sounds familiar:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/unsolved/btk/20.html

In most cases, serial killers are primarily motivated by the need for power and control. Rader was no different and often flaunted his self-perceived supremacy in his work and in everyday activities. At the time of Rader's arrest, he was employed by Park City as a compliance supervisor, which involved "animal control, inoperable vehicles, general code compliance and nuisances." However, if there was anyone a nuisance, Rader's neighbors claimed it was he.

Fox News said that Rader was often referred to as a "bureaucratic bully" who would go "out of his way to find reasons to give people citations." It was further reported that he would go around filming his neighbors in the hopes of catching them committing some minor transgression. He even measured the grass of one woman he disliked, in order to catch her in violation of a city ordinance....

....ABC News reported that Donna Barry, a neighbor of Rader's who has known him and his family since she was a child, had seen a darker side of Rader.

"Barry said she and her children were out on their front lawn one day, and a neighbor from across the street was outside with his dog. In his capacity as a dog catcher and ordinance officer, Barry said Rader approached the dog and allegedly tried to mace it.

"But, according to Barry, the 'wind blew the mace back in his face.' She says Rader groped for his tranquilizer gun, but couldn't get to it. That's when he allegedly pulled out a gun and shot the dog."

Anti Federalist
06-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Hah, yeah right...if there is anything I know to be true, it is this:

The Law (and its enforcers) is an ass.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-21-2014, 06:33 PM

The saying about Keeping up with the Joneses has taken on a whole new meaning.

Anti Federalist
06-21-2014, 06:38 PM
1. Wow I've never seen two red rectangles before.

That was due to a rare -rep on my part.

specsaregood
06-21-2014, 07:13 PM
I know there will be people who will jump up and down in indignation and yell, "Not all code enforcers are bad!!! Quit generalizing!!!" Even so, I think there must be some sort of control-freak, power hungry pettiness in the souls of those who work as code enforcers. Seriously. What sort of person gets off on making people's lives miserable over tiny, meaningless, harmless infractions of laws that are already 99% of the way to full-blown stupid?

I hate to be that guy but I will be. You imply that everybody that works as a code enforcer likes it and "gets off" on it. I figure the majority of them start out as just taking the job because they need the paycheck and hell it probably comes with benefits and the work is stable. We all gotta feed the monkey. Like most distasteful things; they probably grow desensitized to it and soulless the longer they do the job and some might grow to enjoy it.

KCIndy
06-21-2014, 07:24 PM
I hate to be that guy but I will be. You imply that everybody that works as a code enforcer likes it and "gets off" on it. I figure the majority of them start out as just taking the job because they need the paycheck and hell it probably comes with benefits and the work is stable. We all gotta feed the monkey. Like most distasteful things; they probably grow desensitized to it and soulless the longer they do the job and some might grow to enjoy it.

I'm guessing (okay, hoping) the ones who take the job just for the paycheck would be prone to let the little things slide and not become "code Nazis." But frankly, if they just need a paycheck, why not get an honest job at McDonald's? I know my conscience would be a lot more clear if I spent eight hours a day flipping burgers rather than writing people tickets for operating microlibraries or having a lawn 1/4" too high.

As for growing desensitized, you're very much right. It happens, and happens easily. Same thing is true for cops, I would imagine.

heavenlyboy34
06-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Thomas Jefferson on order, and refreshing the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants and patriots:

"Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusetts?...God forbid we should ever be 20. years without such a rebellion...If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...

We have had 13. states independant 11. years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century and a half for each state. What country ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms...

What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusets: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order."

--Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787
I've always found it a nice thought, but antiquated. The various "authorities" in 1787 were not armed to the teeth with 1001 ways to light you and your family up. Maybe if we take the cops' toys away and give them muskets and horses to play with, it would be a reasonable proposition.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-21-2014, 09:44 PM
I've always found it a nice thought, but antiquated. The various "authorities" in 1787 were not armed to the teeth with 1001 ways to light you and your family up. Maybe if we take the cops' toys away and give them muskets and horses to play with, it would be a reasonable proposition.

I always interpreted that as him speaking in broader terms. Many places and many eras. There were some who also thought the British army and navy too daunting.

devil21
06-22-2014, 01:59 AM
These kinds of free libraries are installed in parks in my area. I don't know if they're gov't sanctioned or not but there are some. I left a copy of End The Fed in one the other day.

alucard13mm
06-22-2014, 04:50 AM
I saw the same exact setup in southern california. Think it was in monrovia. Same communal library stand.

Suzanimal
07-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Looks like Leawood found the town assholes...

Temporary moratorium exempts Kansas boy's 'Little Free Libraries' from ordinance

Spencer Collins can turn the page and reopen his “Little Free Library” in his front yard for now, thanks to a temporary moratorium passed late Monday by council members in a Kansas town.

The Leawood City Council unanimously approved a moratorium, effective Tuesday, until Oct. 20 to re-examine a decade-old ordinance that banned tiny structures in front yards. The decision came after the 9-year-old boy addressed council members during a public comment portion of the meeting, Fox4KC.com reports.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I like checking the little library to see what books have been taken and what new books are left,” he said. “I think free little libraries are good for Leawood and I hope you will change the code.”

The boy’s father, Brian Collins, said he hoped an amended ordinance would pass.

“For one simple reason: promote literacy and promote community, two things we can all agree on are good,” Brian Collins said.

One unidentified man argued that the little structures are actually an “eyesore” that could decrease property values.

“You will destroy Leawood if you destroy our codes and bylaws,” he said.

Spencer, meanwhile, said he was pleased that the ruling will allow his library to stay at least temporarily. He made national headlines last month when Leawood officials asked his family to remove the library.

The lending library trend began in Wisconsin, according to the Kansas City Star, and has led to more than 30 little libraries in the Kansas City area. They foster literacy by suggesting that people “take a book, return a book.”

Not everyone is a fan, however.

“Why do we pay taxes for libraries and have those boxes on our streets?” Leawood resident Wade King asked, according to the Star. “In a blighted area? Sure, put them everywhere. We’re not a poor area. We don’t need them.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/08/temporary-moratorium-exempts-kansas-boy-little-free-libraries-from-ordinance/?intcmp=latestnews

Anti Federalist
07-08-2014, 04:47 PM
“You will destroy Leawood if you destroy our codes and bylaws,” he said.

That's the guy who will turn you in.

And like Satan, they are Legion.

Suzanimal
02-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Little Free Libraries on the wrong side of the law

Crime, homelessness and crumbling infrastructure are still a problem in almost every part of America, but two cities have recently cracked down on one of the country's biggest problems: small community libraries where residents can share books.

Officials in Los Angeles and Shreveport, La., have told the owners of homemade lending libraries that they're in violation of city codes, and asked them to remove or relocate their small book collections.

In Los Angeles, Peter Cook, who acts under the name Peter Mackenzie, and his wife, writer Lili Flanders, were told by a city investigator that their curbside library was an obstruction. They were given a week to remove it, or else face fines from the city. This came after an anonymous note from "a neighbor who hates you and your kids" was left on their library, ordering them to "Take it down or the city will."

The couple is declining to remove or relocate the library, with Cook telling the Times that he'll refuse to obey "the blinded Cyclops of L.A. city — wildly swinging its cudgel to destroy something that has made the city and this neighborhood a better place."

A spokesman for City Councilman Paul Koretz said there's a chance the library could remain if the owners got a permit, which could be paid for by city arts funds.

It's a similar situation to the one in Shreveport, where the city sent a cease and desist letter to the owners of a Little Free Library. Ricky and Teresa Edgerton were told they could file an appeal to let the library remain, but it would cost $500.

Residents of the Louisiana city were not amused. An artist named Kathryn Usher constructed a makeshift lending library outside her home, and told The (Shreveport) Times, "I did it in solidarity with Ricky. I'm basically telling the [Metropolitan Planning Commission] to go sod off." Another Shreveport resident, Chris Redford, did the same thing, saying, "I just put my books out there to show that I support the Little Free Libraries in every community and what they stand for."

The Edgertons might get a reprieve, however: a Shreveport city councilman told the newspaper that "a resolution is being drafted to waive existing Little Free Libraries" from zoning laws.

It remains to be seen how both situations will be resolved, and what other cities might join Los Angeles and Shreveport in addressing the growing problem of people sharing books they love with their neighbors.

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-little-free-libraries-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-law-20150204-story.html?track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=717819

Suzanimal
04-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Scattered stories like these have appeared in various local news outlets. The L.A. Times followed up last week with a trend story that got things just about right. "Crime, homelessness and crumbling infrastructure are still a problem in almost every part of America, but two cities have recently cracked down on one of the country's biggest problems: small-community libraries where residents can share books," Michael Schaub wrote. "Officials in Los Angeles and Shreveport, Louisiana, have told the owners of homemade lending libraries that they're in violation of city codes, and asked them to remove or relocate their small book collections."

Here in Los Angeles, the weather is so lovely that it's hard to muster the energy to be upset about anything, and a lot of people don't even know what municipality they live in, so the defense of Little Free Libraries is mostly being undertaken by people who have them. Steve Lopez, a local columnist, wrote about one such man, an actor who is refusing to move his little library from a parkway. His column captures the absurdity of using city resources to get rid of it:

Having written previously about crackdowns on parkway vegetable gardens, I knew the city's argument is that you can't do anything that might block emergency vehicle access, obstruct motorists' views, impede pedestrians or make it hard to open car doors. But the Tenn-Mann Library, at the intersection of a four-way stop, does none of those things. And I can't help but point out that a city tree in front of Cook's house, on the parkway strip, has untamed roots that have lifted the sidewalk a few inches, posing a clear and obvious obstruction and tripping hazard. The city pays out millions of dollars in trip-and-fall settlements every year, and last time I checked, tree-trimming was on a 45-year cycle—no joke. But put up a lending library and the city is at your door in a jiffy.

The column goes on to note that a city spokesman "said that if there is no clear obstruction, it might be possible to keep the library where it is if Cook is willing to apply for a permit. And it's possible that city arts funds could be tapped to pay for the permit." This is what conservatives and libertarians mean when they talk about overregulation disincentivizing or displacing voluntary activity that benefits people. We've constructed communities where one must obtain prior permission from agents of the state before freely sharing books with one's neighbors! And their proposed solution is to get scarce public art funds to pay for the needless layer of bureaucracy being imposed on the thing already being done for free.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/02/little-free-library-crackdown/385531/?utm_source=atlfb