PDA

View Full Version : UT-Cop, on false alarm search for missing child, enters yard and kills family dog.

Anti Federalist
06-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Dog shot and killed during search for toddler

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=30367532&nid=148&title=dog-shot-and-killed-during-search-for-toddler&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory

SALT LAKE CITY — A neighbor's dog was shot and killed during a police search for a 3-year-old Wednesday.

Around 4:30 p.m., Salt Lake City Police Department reported that a 3- year-old boy named Kelby was missing from his home near 2500 South and Fillmore Street. He was found safe in his home just before 5 p.m.

As police searched for the toddler, an officer entered Sean Kendall's yard, felt Kendall's dog, Geist, was aggressive, and shot the dog, police said.

Police can lawfully enter private yards during an emergency.

Kendall said Geist, a 110 pound Weimaraner, was his hiking buddy, sleeping partner and best friend.

"He was a member of my family," Kendall said. " He was just goofy and funny and he loved to play. He was a big cuddler, a big cuddler, and now he's gone."

Marsha Stemer lives a few doors down from Kendall. She said she heard two gunshots and saw the officer leave Kendall's yard.

"That's really freaky that that could happen," she said.

(Like, well, duh! - AF)

Kendall said Geist had never been aggressive or lunged at anybody, so "the idea that he attacked an officer — it just doesn't make sense," he said. "I believe my dog came out of the dog kennel to see what was going on, who was here, stopped right here, and those were his last moments."

Kendall said Geist had a single gunshot wound to the head.

"Just the sheer sight of seeing my dog there — it was traumatizing," Kendall said. "Now he's dead. I have him wrapped up in a blanket in the back of my truck, and now I have to go bury him."

The Salt Lake Police Department confirmed an officer went into Kendall's backyard while searching for that toddler. Police said the officer who was searching in Kendall's yard felt the dog was aggressive and going to attack him, and that's why he shot the animal. They are investigating the incident before they issue any further statement.

bunklocoempire
06-19-2014, 04:18 PM
How does one "lose" a 3 year old toddler?

How does "losing" one's toddler result in the destroying of a complete strangers property by a third party in a matter of 30 minutes?

How does one "find" a toddler back on the toddler's premises?

You're going to look in your neighbor's property before you rip apart your own house?

These "police" are nothing more than irresponsible behavior promoters.

God help that toddler -because apparently no one else is up to the task.:mad: ...and then there's the dog.:(:mad:

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 05:59 PM
I wonder: how long was this child "missing" before the parents called the cops?

Salt Lake City police try to address outrage over dog shooting

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58093101-78/dog-officer-kendell-slcpd.html.csp

Fenced backyard » Dog killed on its home ground, questions arise over why non-lethal response not used first.

By Bob Mims

| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published Jun 20 2014 07:37 am • Updated 29 minutes ago

The Salt Lake City Police Department is trying to get ahead of public outrage over an officer’s shooting of an alleged aggressive dog in its fenced backyard during a neighborhood search for a child later found asleep in his own basement.

The 3-year-old boy, described as non-verbal and unresponsive to his name being called, was reported missing by his parents from his home near 2500 South and Fillmore Street (1400 East) about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. A door-to-door neighborhood search ensued.

The child was located about the same time one of the searching police officers entered the backyard of absent neighbor Sean Kendell’s home. The officer claimed Kendell’s 2-year-old, 110-pound Weimaraner, "Geist," aggressively confronted him. Two shots were fired, killing the dog.

SLCPD said that given the emergency nature of the search, when there was no answer to knocks on the front door of Kendell’s home at 2400 S. 1500 East, the officer — unaware the boy had been found — decided to entered the backyard to look for the boy.

As news of the shooting spread on Thursday, questions arose from Kendell, animal advocates and the public about why the officer did not first use non-lethal means — such as a Taser, pepper spray or baton — to defend himself.

SLCPD Sgt. Robin Heiden said the incident was being reviewed by the department’s Internal Affairs unit, though the officer — who was uninjured — involved remained on duty.

Gene Bairschmidt, executive director of the Humane Society of Utah, questioned the decision to apparently shoot first, even as he offered his organization’s expertise to help the SLCPD explore ways to avoid a repeat of the incident.

"Shooting should not be the ‘go to’ first response when officers, who we know have a difficult job, are confronted by a dog, especially when the animal is confined to its own property," he said.

The organization asked for "full disclosure" of the SLCPD’s internal investigation into the incident, along with its plans to better address confrontations with perceived aggressive animals in the future.

Police Chief Chris Burbank confirmed that his office had been in contact with Kendell, hoping to set up a meeting next week to discuss the issue. The chief also has opened discussions with the Humane Society "to discuss the dynamics of dog encounters."

Further, the department will be reviewing a training module offered by the Department of Justice’s Office of Community Oriented Policing that, among other things, addresses animal encounters.

Burbank also invited concerned citizens to email him at askthechief@slcgov.com to share in "a free and respectful exchange of opinions on this issue."

As of Friday morning, more than 100 emails had been received and the number was steadily climbing, said Detective Dennis McGowan. The SLCPD’s Facebook page also was awash with reactions, overwhelmingly critical, and many of them calling for the officer’s termination.

As for the dog’s owner, he said he was grieving the loss of "my best friend," hiking and sleeping partner, who he found lying dead in the grass with a gunshot wound to the head when he returned home.

He told KUTV News that he does not believe his dog was a threat to the officer, but reacting like any dog would to a stranger intruding on their home turf.

The growing controversy has given birth to a "Justice for Geist" Facebook page. As of late Friday morning, it was approaching 5,000 "likes."

Henry Rogue
06-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Only two shots fired and one of those struck the dog in the head. Either that cowardly terrorist is unusually good at hitting a small target moving fast at him or the dog was standing still and at a close range. Cowardly terrorists who fear for their lives usually unload their magazines at a target and miss the majority of their shots.

SeanTX
06-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Something similar happened here a couple of years back, somebody reported their toddler missing , and immediately dozens of officers were swarming the area, along with a helicopter searching overhead. Then they found out -- oops -- the "missing" toddler was in the house all along, hiding in a box or under a blanket or some such silly thing. Fortunately no dogs were shot (that I'm aware of).

It seems like every little thing these days is an excuse for the cops to launch something similar to a small-scale military operation. Last week I was fishing in a park and after a while the place was swarming with cops -- I must have counted at least 10 different police vehicles.

A K-9 cop came up me and asked if I had heard "a couple arguing" , and I told him nope, and I had been there for a while. If anything really bad was going on I would have known about it. I guess some busybody type heard a little argument going on, then just had to call 911 to bring out the cavalry to save the day.

Anyway, just ridiculous how they over react to every little thing anymore -- in the past a missing toddler search would have been handled by just a couple of officers driving around looking for it -- now they'll swarm the whole area, send up a helicopter, and barge into neighbor's yards. Or, like has happened here, they'll find a missing kid wandering the streets in the middle of the night and then go around the entire neighborhood at 3:30 am pounding on doors to find out where it belongs. And if you don't like it you're just a meany who doesn't care about da children ...

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 06:46 PM
See Something, Say Something, comrade.

Perfect conditioning...Boobus dials 911 if somebody farts loudly, and swarms of Berserkers turn out, hut hutting about and pushing people around.

Something similar happened here a couple of years back, somebody reported their toddler missing , and immediately dozens of officers were swarming the area, along with a helicopter searching overhead. Then they found out -- oops -- the "missing" toddler was in the house all along, hiding in a box or under a blanket or some such silly thing. Fortunately no dogs were shot (that I'm aware of).

It seems like every little thing these days is an excuse for the cops to launch something similar to a small-scale military operation. Last week I was fishing in a park and soon the place was swarming with cops -- I must have counted at least 10 different police vehicles. A K-9 cop came up me and asked if I had heard "a couple arguing" , and I told him nope, and I had been there for a while. If anything really bad was going on I would have known about it.

Anyway, just ridiculous how they over react to every little thing anymore -- in the past a missing toddler search would have been handled by just a couple of officers driving around looking for it -- now they'll swarm the whole area, send up a helicopter, and barge into neighbor's yards. Or, like has happened here, they'll find a missing kid wandering the streets in the middle of the night and then go around the entire neighborhood at 3:30 am pounding on doors to find out where it belongs. And if you don't like it you're just a meany who doesn't care about da children ...

Occam's Banana
06-21-2014, 06:59 AM

It seems like every little thing these days is an excuse for the cops to launch something similar to a small-scale military operation. Last week I was fishing in a park and after a while the place was swarming with cops -- I must have counted at least 10 different police vehicles.

A K-9 cop came up me and asked if I had heard "a couple arguing" , and I told him nope, and I had been there for a while. If anything really bad was going on I would have known about it. I guess some busybody type heard a little argument going on, then just had to call 911 to bring out the cavalry to save the day.

Hut-hutters gonna hut-hut ...

♫ Officer Friendly is a cop, "hut-hut-hut-hut-hut!" ♪
♫ With a "hut-hut" here, and a "hut-hut" there! ♪
♫ Here a "hut," there a "hut," everywhere a "hut-hut!" ♪
♫ Officer Friendly is a cop, "hut-hut-hut-hut-hut!" ♪

Working Poor
06-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Weimaraners are such nice intelligent dogs I used to have one I know that the dog's friend must be really sad.

SeanTX
06-21-2014, 09:35 AM
I just remembered something from my childhood, there was a toddler girl who lived across the street, and she was quite the escape artist, always running off. I remember one time riding around with my dad looking for her, and there were some ham radio operators who helped out with things like that who were looking for her also. Back in those days (late 1970s) people relied more on family and their neighbors than they did on the police.

I don't remember the police involvement in the search, I'm sure they were involved to a small (and reasonable) degree, probably mostly coordinating the volunteer searchers -- they weren't hut-hutting around the neighborhood, pounding on neighbor's doors, prepared to kill anything that might frighten them. And no helicopters were wasting taxpayers dollars looking for her. I suppose nowadays if any neighbors volunteered to help find a missing child they would be "ordered" to stay in their homes, so as to not endanger officer safety as they hut-hut about.

A different time I guess -- life wasn't as "safe" back then, we didn't have benevolent protectors from twenty different LEO agencies to save us from every little thing that might happen -- but life was certainly better.

SeanTX
06-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Here's a video of the owner confronting the police (though the chickenshit who trespassed and killed his dog was no longer there). The owner is demanding that the officer be fired (of course, nothing will happen to him, unless something is done outside the system).

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/26/pissed-off-man-confronts-police-after-they-shot-his-dog-video/

“Which officer shot my dog? Please,” Kendall asked several officers standing in his front yard when he arrived at the scene.

“We were looking for a lost child,” one officer responded. A neighborhood parent had reported their 3-year-old child missing earlier in the day. The child was later found asleep in the basement of the family’s home.

“And that gives you probable cause to enter a private residence without permission from the owner?” said a livid Kendall, who asked for the names and badge numbers of the officers.

“He was threatened by the dog, and he shot the dog. That’s as simple as it gets,” one officer said.

The officer who shot Geist was not at the scene at the time, though the officers gave Kendall his name.

“So backing up slowly and leaving the residence was not an option?” Kendall asked, his voice growing more agitated.

“I understand it wasn’t you personally,” he said, “but you guys killed my dog.”

“I’ve had this dog for three years. He was my best friend, and he was shot because an officer couldn’t back the fuck up out of my house!”

snip

jllundqu
06-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Unreal. The man would be justified in killing that officer to prevent him killing his dog, imo.

heavenlyboy34
06-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Unreal. The man would be justified in killing that officer to prevent him killing his dog, imo.

Indeed. Makes me wonder if the states with "stand your ground"/"Castle" type laws allow people to kill threatening cops as well as threatening mundanes. (I won't hold my breath about it)

SeanTX
06-26-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't have a source, but I've seen some comments here and there that seem to indicate the dog may have been shot *through* the fence -- i.e. , cop was on one side of the fence, dog was on the other.

Anti Federalist
06-26-2014, 03:27 PM
“I’ve had this dog for three years. He was my best friend, and he was shot because an officer couldn’t back the fuck up out of my house!”

About fucking time...

Good for you Mr. Kendall.

SeanTX
06-26-2014, 03:49 PM
About fucking time...

Good for you Mr. Kendall.

Yes, better than the majority of people in these cases who are like "oh, I'm sad my dog is dead, but I can understand why the officer did what he/she had to do."

A good tongue-lashing from one of their victims is more than what these creeps usually get -- it might at least make them wonder what the next step could be.

alucard13mm
06-26-2014, 04:06 PM
People are pissed, especially with the video of the incident going around. It was interesting how the offier who was involved in the shooting left while 3-4 other officers and animal control was there.

SeanTX
06-26-2014, 07:52 PM
This source says the officer's name is Brett Olsen. It also says he is a "hero" who back in 2007 took out a shooter who had killed five people. So no chance of that guy getting fired.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58118281-78/officer-dog-kendall-police.html.csp

Anti Federalist
06-26-2014, 08:03 PM
This source says the officer's name is Brett Olsen. It also says he is a "hero" who back in 2007 took out a shooter who had killed five people. So no chance of that guy getting fired.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58118281-78/officer-dog-kendall-police.html.csp

Oh yeah, he'll skate.

phill4paul
06-26-2014, 08:15 PM

Golden. Even have a wiki page about the "Trolley Street Square" shooting. I don't know how long this "hero" has been on the force. He was on the force at least five years. I'm guessing he will get a chance at either retirement or duty related injury pension.

phill4paul
08-01-2014, 03:59 PM
http://edge.liveleak.com/80281E/ll_a_s/2014/Aug/1/LiveLeak-dot-com-d19_1406916138-1-c2cfb8383f_1406916159.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6 249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bdd7904447d9d6ff52&ec_rate=230

Anti Federalist
08-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah, he'll skate.

Called that one:

UPDATE: SLC officer cleared in shooting of Geist the dog

http://fox13now.com/2014/08/01/salt-lake-city-officer-cleared-of-wrongdoing-after-shooting-dog/

1 Aug 2014

SALT LAKE CITY — A pair of investigations have cleared a Salt Lake City police officer who shot and killed a dog while searching for a missing child.

An internal affairs investigation and a probe by Salt Lake City’s Civilian Review Board found Officer Brett Olsen did not violate policy when he shot Geist in the backyard of Sean Kendall’s home.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2014, 05:32 PM
From the "Civilian (Copsucker) Review Board" report:

§ 22:217. Exigent circumstances

When officers are faced with circumstances amounting to an emergency which make seeking and obtaining warrant unfeasible, a search may be made without a warrant.

Such a situation exists—

•where there is a danger of damage and possible loss or destruction of desired evidence.

•where there is a likelihood of a defendant's escape before a warrant can be obtained.

•where officers have a justifiable belief that a felony is being committed.

•in the case of a vehicle, where there is probable cause to search for contraband goods and it is not practicable to secure a warrant because the vehicle can be quickly moved out of the locality or jurisdiction in which the warrant must be sought or if the warrant could be obtained only by detaining the vehicle for some period.

•when officers are reacting to an immediate life-threatening emergency.

•where there is danger of physical harm to officers or other persons.

•when a suspect is on the move and police are in hot pursuit.

•when officers stop a person on the street while investigating suspicious circumstances, to "stop and frisk" him with reason to believe he is an armed and dangerous individual and for the protection of the officer and others nearby.

•when a search uncovers a dangerous object such as a quantity of explosives.

•when necessary to avoid some other consequence improperly frustrating legitimate law-enforcement efforts.

Careful reading of the above, indicates that there is no such thing as a 4th Amendment anymore.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Also from the same report.

A copsucker neighbor made sure to throw this poor bastard (and his dog) under the bus.

Redacted

Sent:
Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:52 PM

To:
AsktheChief

Subject:
Dog incident sugar house 6-18-14

First, and foremost, a heartfelt thank you for the response to yesterday's scare of a missing child. I live near the family of the missing child, and near the home of the deceased dog. I feel fortunate to live in an area where the police can respond with such swiftness and in force to an emergency.

Second, as I walked the neighborhood that day I remember going past the house with the dog and it charged the fence as we walked by. I love animals so I assumed it was anxious because of the unusual neighborhood activity. I didn't think much of it because the fence kept the dog inside its yard.

When I read the account today of the dog being shot I remembered its mannerism yesterday. I don't know why the policeman went into the backyard, but that dog was not inside a kennel, and it was anxious and behaved aggressively. Its up to the police department to decide what the officer should have done at that point.

My heart goes out to the dog owner. My gratitude goes out to the police force. I live in a safe neighborhood and for this incident to be the top issue in our community means we live in an area where we are fortunate to see little crime. I trust the department to do what is best in this situation but I wanted to express my thanks for helping keep our community safe.

Sincerely,
Redacted

Redacted
Sugar House

phill4paul
08-01-2014, 05:42 PM
I don't know why the policeman went into the backyard, but that dog was not inside a kennel, and it was anxious and behaved aggressively.

It was in a fuggin' fenced in yard. That's like a kennel. Only bigger you dipstick!

SeanTX
08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Justice will never be obtained within *their* system ...

Anti Federalist
06-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Under Utah law, Mr. Kendall cannot sue a cop, without paying first

Utah statute 78B-3-104, passed in 2008, says that anyone who wants to sue law enforcement must first pay a bond to cover the estimated costs and attorney fees of the officer being sued.

That’s right—before any litigation can proceed, the victim must shell out thousands of dollars to cover the predicted costs to the offending officer. The plaintiff can recover costs if he/she prevails.

The statute reads:

“(1) A person may not file an action against a law enforcement officer acting within the scope of the officer’s official duties unless the person has posted a bond in an amount determined by the court.

(2) The bond shall cover all estimated costs and attorney fees the officer may be expected to incur in defending the action, in the event the officer prevails.

(3) The prevailing party shall recover from the losing party all costs and attorney fees allowed by the court.

(4) In the event the plaintiff prevails, the official bond of the officer shall be liable for the plaintiff’s costs and attorney fees.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-jumps-mans-fence-kills-dog-state-man-pay-cop/#ZmJ8dikluB43m2uY.99

RJB
06-25-2015, 06:56 PM
An internal affairs investigation and a probe by Salt Lake City’s Civilian Review Board found Officer Brett Olsen did not violate policy when he shot Geist in the backyard of Sean Kendall’s home.

This is always the case because their policies are tyrannical. However boobus reads it that the officer followed the law. Case closed.