PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's New Confidant: Nate Morris

tsai3904
06-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Rand Paul's New Confidant
Why the Kentucky senator and Nate Morris became fast friends.

By Shane Goldmacher

As the bus came to a stop near the Dead Sea, Nate Morris and the rest of the gang had one question: Would Rand Paul jump in? "It was a big joke, because we were all wondering," recalls the 33-year-old businessman, who was part of a large group visiting Israel with Kentucky's junior senator. Paul quickly answered in the affirmative. He took off his hiking boots, an orange button-down, and a gray "Army Strong" undershirt, then waded into the salty waters wearing flowered swim trunks. He smeared mud across his cheeks and his bare chest; he raised his arms in triumph.

It was January 2013, and Morris was one of some 50 Americans who had joined Paul for the tour of Israel. Although President Obama hadn't even technically begun his second term, Paul's trip clearly had implications for the next presidential race. The destination itself suggested he was seeking to reassure establishment Republicans that he did not share the hostility of his father—GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul—to the Jewish state. The guest list, meanwhile, read like the manifest of a ship bound for 2016. The state party chairmen of Iowa and South Carolina were there, along with Iowa's Republican National Committeewoman and key religious leaders. When I asked David Lane—the politically active evangelical leader who organized the trip—how the invitees had been chosen, he answered with a question of his own: "What are the first presidential primary states of 2016?"

Yet Nate Morris, a Kentucky resident, did not hail from an early-primary state. Nor was he a religious leader. Nor was he particularly vocal about Israel. Nor did he even know Paul all that well: The two had met only a few months before.

So why was Morris on the trip? Kentucky is not exactly a rich state, but Morris had carved out a reputation as a man with a talent for shaking loose campaign cash. Back in 2004, he was, at 23, by all accounts the country's youngest bundler for George W. Bush, raising at least $50,000 and becoming a "Bush Maverick." His list of contacts had only grown in the years since. "People in politics know who raises money," Morris says. "That's not a secret." In short, Morris was just the kind of moneyman Paul needed if he was going to pursue his presidential ambitions.

More:
http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/rand-paul-s-new-confidant-20140618

specsaregood
06-19-2014, 10:41 AM
very insightful piece. it was somewhat humorous that the guys father in law is one of the guys Randal debated back in '84 when standing in for his father.

Henry Rogue
06-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Why politics isn't for me, I don't have the skill to turn being likable into a career. Cronyism equals campaign purse, I guess. Interesting read, another view into the nature of humans.

DamianTV
06-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Why politics isn't for me, I don't have the skill to turn being likable into a career. Cronyism equals campaign purse, I guess. Interesting read, another view into the nature of humans.

I think you do have the skill. But like many others, you dont have any desire to make backstabbing secret backroom deals to get not what you want, but to gain Power over mundanes in general. And that Power is really an Illusion as we all know damn well that Politicians hold no real power, they are Puppets to the Corporations and the Industrial Complexes that rule this world with an iron fist.

Sorry, totally off topic of thread on my part...

georgiaboy
06-19-2014, 07:23 PM
very good read.

"With people like Nate Morris, he appeals to your Romney donors, which is something his father could never do, ever," Comer says. Paul, he continues, wants to appeal to those donors "because you have to do that to win. Rand is running to win. He's not running to make a statement or to prove a point. He's running to win."

Badger Paul
06-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Nobody from New Hampshire or Nevada on the trip I see...

Crashland
06-19-2014, 09:33 PM
I think you do have the skill. But like many others, you dont have any desire to make backstabbing secret backroom deals to get not what you want, but to gain Power over mundanes in general. And that Power is really an Illusion as we all know damn well that Politicians hold no real power, they are Puppets to the Corporations and the Industrial Complexes that rule this world with an iron fist.

Sorry, totally off topic of thread on my part...

Yep, money makes the world go round

ronaldo23
06-20-2014, 01:35 AM
"Jesse Benton, another veteran of the Ron Paul presidential bids, ran the younger Paul's 2010 Senate campaign; he remains close to the candidate, is married to Rand's niece, and is expected to have a senior role in any 2016 campaign."

http://i47.tinypic.com/9bloyh.jpg