PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Undersheriff Unhinged at Hailstorm Allegations

EBounding
06-18-2014, 10:15 PM
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25814703/should-new-technology-be-used-to-track-down-fugitives

The county undersheriff rants about the allegations surrounding the cell phone tower spoofing device. Tom McMillin is interviewed as well.

State Representative Tom McMillin, who has launched a run for Congress, chairs the House Oversight Committee and says he has an issue with police using the cell phone technology.

His primary complaint?

"I do feel like I've been stonewalled. I also, they sent me to the FBI, I talked to them as well. It just seems like, are [sic] we really want to use the devices, military-style devices, and we don't know what it's doing; there was no oversight. I'm crafting legislation to make sure that there is oversight and I welcome the sheriff's department. I'm not saying that this shouldn't be used, but if we can ensure that it can be used without violating Fourth Amendment," says McMillin.

"It does not surveil people. It does not fly in the sky. It doesn't take pictures. It doesn't take video. It does not record conversations. It does not collect data, personal data, on anybody. It doesn't go into your smart phone and download anything, okay? It does not data mine. It's a tool that's authorized by the court that allows us to arrest fugitives, wanted fugitives," says McCabe.

Steve-in-NY
06-19-2014, 07:08 AM
It does not collect data, personal data, on anybody.

If it does not collect any data, then it has no value. Why would anyone use it?

... oh right, because IT DOES collect data. Location data. That's why.

Someone seems confused... and I'm pretty sure it's not me.

Occam's Banana
06-19-2014, 07:55 AM
"It's a tool for law enforcement that we use to arrest wanted fugitives, people that rape, people that rob people, people that commit heinous crimes," says Oakland County Undersheriff Untersturmführer Michael McCabe.

Fixed that for them ...

And notice the attempted spin of McCabe's "logic" here - "fugitives and rapists and robbers, oh my!!" - as if any concerns that this technology might be abused by LEOs and their agencies are trivial, specious and unwarranted.

This is just the "law enforcement" equivalent of Frédéric Bastiat's "Broken Window" fallacy - you are expected to ignore "that which is not seen" (i.e., the innocent people, "perpetrators" of victimless "crimes," and assorted other "undesirables" against whom this may be used).