PDA

View Full Version : OK-Cop beats, pepper sprays 78 y/o man and his wife for "non compliance".

Anti Federalist
06-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Reading through the comments, it seems that the cop was the one driving the wrong way on a one way street.

This foolish mundane had the temerity to shout "that's illegal" at his betters.

Now he knows just who the boss is on Tara.

Sperry Man Claims Officer 'Bloodied And Humiliated' Him At Traffic Stop

http://www.newson6.com/story/25773978/sperry-man-claims-officer-bloodied-and-humiliated-him-at-traffic-stop

13 June 2014

SPERRY, Oklahoma -

People in Sperry want answers after a 78-year-old man said he ended up in the hospital after a police officer treated him roughly and pepper sprayed him during a traffic stop.

Charles Griffith and his wife were on their way home from church Wednesday night when they said a Sperry police officer pulled him over.

They said what happened next landed him in the hospital. On Thursday night, he was at Sperry's city hall to tell city council members his story.

Holding back tears, Griffith explained how he said he ended up being pepper sprayed, bloodied and humiliated. He and his wife Joy were among dozens who packed into Sperry's city hall Thursday to tell town leaders what happened the night before.

"I never been in trouble before or nothing," Griffith said.

That changed after he was coming home from church Wednesday night. He said a Sperry police officer pulled him over for driving on the wrong side of the street. Griffith said he got out of the car to wait.

"He come up there and said, ‘get back in the car,' and I did. He wanted to see my driver's license and he just started saying he was going to take me to jail and this kind of stuff. I hadn't did anything wrong," said Griffith.

He said since he has health issues with his legs, he tried to extend them out of the car to stand up.

"Then he told me sit back down, and then he tried to get me up, twisted my arm," Griffith said.

He said that's when the officer put his wife in danger.

"She was sitting in the car when they pepper sprayed me, and I was afraid they were going to get her," he said.

Joy said, "Yeah, they sprayed me in the face when I was still sitting in the car."

Griffith said the officer yanked him up by the shirt and he ended up bruised and bloody.

After going to the hospital to be checked out, he, his wife and Sperry residents packed into city hall, hoping to talk to city leaders, but they couldn't hold an official meeting because the mayor had open heart surgery last week.

"I don't want to have any hard feelings or anything, anybody get in trouble. Just like to stop this from happening anymore to anybody," said Joy.

Sperry's police Chief Mike Smith, told News On 6, "The officer stopped this individual, but this individual may not have been as compliant as everyone thinks he was."

The officer's report will go to the DA's office. He is on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.

The chief also added that Griffith has not filed a complaint with the department, but police are looking into the public's complaints.

The officer has only been with the police department for a few months.

SeanTX
06-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Well, it could be worse, he could be like the man in Moore, OK who was beaten to death for "failure to show ID" outside the move theater there.

"Failure To Comply" = DEATH or serious bodily injury -- if the responding officer(s) so choose to administer on-the-spot justice ... if you choose to "not comply" you DID IT TO YOURSELF. Now, STFU, and take your lumps and comply -- or we'll put some real lumps on you ...

-- Officer "Not-So Friendly . "

acptulsa
06-18-2014, 09:11 PM
There are no one way streets in Sperry. The town has one four-way stop sign and there you are.

When this man was young any Oklahoma man would yell at a cop for driving left of center when there was obviously no emergency. I've done it myself. I recently got ID checked for using a public bench on the University of Tulsa campus because I was in the middle of a twelve mile bike ride and wanted a break. I've been doing that since before the campus cop was born, and told him so.

This used to be a civilized state before we got network Damnyankee news media in here. We ought to voluntarily ban that crap.

Roid Rage. It's not just for football players and Soviet block Olympic weightlifters any more. That cop would be wise to quit and move. Quickly. Neither the Sperry PD nor the Osage County Sheriff's Dept. is big enough to protect him. And there's no guarantee they'd be interested in doing so, either.

SeanTX
06-18-2014, 09:22 PM
There are no one way streets in Sperry. The town has one four-way stop sign and there you are.

When this man was young any Oklahoma man would yell at a cop for driving left of center when there was obviously no emergency. I've done it myself. I recently got ID checked for using a public bench on the University of Tulsa campus because I was in the middle of a twelve mile bike ride and wanted a break.

What is it with cops and "ID checks" ? Esp in Oklahoma -- it seems like it's the new way to escalate any old minor thing into an arrest or deadly force situation ( the movie goer in Moore OK, cops justified his beating death as being a result of his "failure to comply" when asked for ID). Present ID when demanded, or we will KILL you!

I know there are a few states like Massachusetts, etc. where you "have" to provide ID on demand for no reason other than the cop wants to mess with you , but in most states there has to be reasonable cause of a crime having been committed before they can demand it (of course, they can and will make up "reasonable cause"). And I'm pretty sure OK is one of those states where cops can't just demand ID for no reason (could be wrong, of course).

Campus cops should be looking for people who are committing real crimes -- not just someone taking a break during a bike ride. One of the last times I got stopped by a cop was while walking through a campus parking lot, at 6:30pm at night -- at the university I had graduated from just a few years before. I was walking to an evening event that was going on AT that location.

At least he didn't demand ID -- he just asked where I was going and was then like "uh, okay." I guess I could have said what I really felt like saying and said "none of your business" -- but then I would have been taking a ride downtown most likely.

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't (they have us right where they want us -- don't exercise your "rights" , get fucked, exercise them, get double fucked).

Anti Federalist
06-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Wiping it off boss.

acptulsa
06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Kolender v. Lawson...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolender_v._Lawson

...so far as I know, has never been overturned. We don't have to show any kind of license if we're not engaged in an activity which requires a license.

Occam's Banana
06-19-2014, 08:22 AM
This foolish mundane had the temerity to shout "that's illegal" at his betters. [...]

Sperry's police Chief Mike Smith, told News On 6, "The officer stopped this individual, but this individual may not have been as compliant as everyone thinks he was."

In other words: Charles Griffith neglected to bow his head, avert his eyes, tug his forelock, and reply only with a meekly muttered "m'lud" whenever he was addressed.

In other other words: Charles Griffith did this to himself.

Suzanimal
06-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Poor guy got his "education".

"I don't want to have any hard feelings or anything, anybody get in trouble. Just like to stop this from happening anymore to anybody," said Joy.

Bless her heart, if someone beat my husband and pepper sprayed me, I'd be calling for their head on a spike.

acptulsa
07-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Well, the air is preagnant with silence concerning what may or may not be done with the cop. But the county DA has decided to forego his own lynching by publicly declining to press charges against the victim...

http://www.newson6.com/story/25989981/das-office-wont-file-charges-against-sperry-man-involved-in-alleged-police-altercation

Philhelm
07-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Well, it could be worse, he could be like the man in Moore, OK who was beaten to death for "failure to show ID" outside the move theater there.

Where's this story?

acptulsa
07-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Where's this story?

You act like the forum search engine is completely worthless. And you're nearly correct.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?444248-Family-Says-Moore-Police-Beat-Father-To-Death&highlight=moore+theater

tod evans
07-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Poor guy got his "education".

Bless her heart, if someone beat my husband and pepper sprayed me, I'd be calling for their head on a spike.

Translation for yankees;

"Bless her heart" is a Southern euphemism used to politely say "you fucking idiot"....

Henry Rogue
07-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Translation for yankees;

"Bless her heart" is a Southern euphemism used to politely say "you fucking idiot"....
Good to know.

Root
07-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Translation for yankees;

Lol, that makes a lot of sense actually.

heavenlyboy34
07-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Translation for yankees;

Depends on context. My Southern grandmama sometimes used that in a nice way-like to show surprise and appreciation for an unexpected polite gesture.

tod evans
07-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Depends on context. My Southern grandmama sometimes used that in a nice way-like to show surprise and appreciation for an unexpected polite gesture.

Tonal infliction and circumstances must be taken into account....;)

Kotin
07-10-2014, 05:12 PM
well non-compliance is treason if your 'merican

Suzanimal
07-10-2014, 05:35 PM

Mine did too:) but it's also a polite insult.

Exactly.

acptulsa
07-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Tonal inflection and circumstances must be taken into account....;)

If it's a 'pea pickin' little old heart', that's not a good sign.

KCIndy
07-11-2014, 12:07 AM
What is it with cops and "ID checks" ? Esp in Oklahoma -- it seems like it's the new way to escalate any old minor thing into an arrest or deadly force situation

It's "fishing" plain and simple. Just like the old "I noticed you weaving while you were driving" routine. If a cop wants to f*ck with you, he'll make up an excuse, the law be damned.

After all, who is going to hold a cop responsible?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

heavenlyboy34
07-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Mine did too:) but it's also a polite insult.

Exactly.

Yes indeed! :cool: