PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Patent Office Cancel Redskins Trademark Registration

AuH20
06-18-2014, 09:07 AM
These people don't stop. Every underhanded, immoral trick will be used to get their way. I hope Dan Snyder uses his ample fortune to start an advertising campaign against these fascists.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24591552/us-patent-office-cancels-redskins-trademark-registration

AuH20
06-18-2014, 09:21 AM
This just made my day:

If all these blowhard, jump on the band wagon of public opinion balless political knuckleheads really, REALLY want to make a statement, give Manhattan back to it's original owners!!!

now THAT would be something!!!

oyarde
06-18-2014, 09:26 AM
This just made my day:

Yes , I know people who are ready to have the returned Manhattan appraised.

Lucille
06-18-2014, 10:22 AM
http://www.theburningplatform.com/2014/06/18/what-a-fking-joke/

This is the kind of trivial mind numbingly stupid shit that our elected officials spend their time on in Washington D.C. The entire fucking world is exploding in violence and war caused by U.S. meddling and these douchebags are consumed with the “racist” name of a fucking sports team. This is the bread and circus bullshit used to distract the ignorant masses as Rome burns.

The American military empire is crumbling as 100 years of fiat currency fraud enters its final catastrophic phase, and these traitorous fucks spend their time writing letters to the NFL commissioner and using government agencies to damage an organization generating millions in tax revenue to pay their salaries. This fucking country is a hopeless case. We’re not a Democracy, we’re an Idiocracy.

cajuncocoa
06-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Will Saints be next? Angels? (both offensive to non-religious people)
Yankees? (offensive to Southerners)
Cowboys? (sexist)
Tigers? Lions? Jaguars? Panthers? Bengals? (offensive to dog people)

cajuncocoa
06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
These people don't stop. Every underhanded, immoral trick will be used to get their way. I hope Dan Snyder uses his ample fortune to start an advertising campaign against these fascists.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24591552/us-patent-office-cancels-redskins-trademark-registration
I was thinking the same thing, but I wonder if the feds would threaten the NFL's tax exempt status if Snyder makes waves over this.

Southron
06-18-2014, 11:07 AM
If they are forced to change the name, they should mock their federal overlords with a name like the Washington Fascists.

Carlybee
06-18-2014, 11:10 AM
A lot of Indian activists have been pushing for this. Most of us part injuns could give a crap. It's sad that our Indian nation continues to rely on the government while on the other hand say they want sovereignty. Part of that means stop giving govt power which is exactly what this does.

Philhelm
06-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Cowboys? (sexist)

Actually, the Yankees are offensive to men who aren't getting any.

Philhelm
06-18-2014, 11:18 AM
If they are forced to change the name, they should mock their federal overlords with a name like the Washington Fascists.

That would be something to behold.

AuH20
06-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Look who chimes in. A not so subtle threat..............

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/harry-reid-washington-redskins-name-dan-snyder-107999.html?hp=l1

AuH20
06-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Snyder's early bio is very interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Snyder

Snyder was born to a Jewish family[2][3][4] on November 23, 1964,[5] in Maryland,[3][6] the son of Arlette (née Amsellem) and Gerry Snyder.[7] His father was a free-lance writer who wrote for United Press International and National Geographic.[6] He attended Hillandale Elementary School in Silver Spring, Maryland. At age 12, he moved to Henley-on-Thames, a small town near London, where he attended private school.[6] At age 14, he returned to the United States and lived with his grandmother in Queens, New York. A year later, his family moved back to Maryland and he graduated from Charles W. Woodward High School in Rockville, Maryland.[6] His first job was at B. Dalton bookstore in the White Flint Mall.[6]

At 17, Snyder experienced his first business failure when he partnered with his father to sell bus-trip packages to Washington Capitals fans to see their hockey team play in Philadelphia.[citation needed] He was disappointed when he found his fliers littering the streets after a tough loss.[citation needed] By age 20, he had dropped out of the University of Maryland, College Park[8] and was running his own business, leasing jets to fly college students to spring break in Fort Lauderdale and the Caribbean.[6] Snyder claims to have cleared US $1 million running the business out of his parents' bedroom with a friend and several telephone lines.[9]

Snyder courted real estate entrepreneur Mortimer Zuckerman, whose US News & World Report was also interested in the college market, and who agreed to finance his push to publish Campus USA, a magazine for college students.[6] Zuckerman and Fred Drasner, co-publisher of Zuckerman's New York Daily News, invested $3 million in Campus USA.[6] The venture did not generate enough paid advertising and was forced to close after two years.[6]

HOLLYWOOD
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
US government didn't have any problem ripping Native Indians off for all the natural resources stolen off their reservations since the 1800s.

Poor Indians had to settle years(decades) of their lawsuits and US government obstruction maneuvering for pennies on the dollar.

Like I say, government is good at 3 things; Lying, Stealing, and Destroying

James Madison
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
As someone who is part Irish, I find Notre Dame's mascot incredibly offensive. 'Fighting' Irish -- clearly a reference to stereotypes depicting Irish men as being violent, thuggish, wife-beaters. And what's this? They have a midget at games dressed up like a leprechaun, dancing around like a retard? And a tobacco pipe, too?! Not all Irish are smokers, dipshits.

James Madison
06-18-2014, 11:30 AM

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/harry-reid-washington-redskins-name-dan-snyder-107999.html?hp=l1

“The name will change and justice will be done for the tribes in Nevada and across the nation,” Reid said.

Yes, changing the name will end years of poverty, drug abuse, and government tit-sucking for native populations everywhere. There will also be a dinosaur and a unicorn that craps rainbows.

oyarde
06-18-2014, 11:31 AM

Dirty Harry Reid .

TonySutton
06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
They fought this once before after losing in 99 and won on appeal in 03. Expect a new appeal to drag out for several years. Once all is said and done Dan Snyder might keep the name to spite the ruling. He just loses trademark protection. There is no law saying he can not keep the name or the signature emblem.

AuH20
06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Yes, changing the name will end years of poverty, drug abuse, and government tit-sucking for native populations everywhere. There will also be a dinosaur and a unicorn that craps rainbows.

I'm sure the BLM won't hesitate to crack some skulls if a 'redskin' happens to trespass on government tended land.

PRB
06-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Guys, please let me know when the council has reached a consensus, are we supposed to be happy that the government is NOT protecting a team/franchise's right to exclusively profit from a word? or mad that the government used its power to arbitrarily refuse to protect one team due to one word due to political correctness?

Is this government shrinking or expanding? I gotta know how to react and not piss off the sacred liberty movement.

PRB
06-18-2014, 02:14 PM
As someone who is part Irish, I find Notre Dame's mascot incredibly offensive. 'Fighting' Irish -- clearly a reference to stereotypes depicting Irish men as being violent, thuggish, wife-beaters. And what's this? They have a midget at games dressed up like a leprechaun, dancing around like a retard? And a tobacco pipe, too?! Not all Irish are smokers, dipshits.

you missed the part about Irish people being the only white people (along with Jews and Italians) in this country who are allowed to be proud of their heritage. Everybody else would be considered racist and "just white". This may in fact be partially due to Irish and Italians suffering in the past as immigrants. Not all Irish are smokers and dipshits, but most are drunks, grumpy Catholics, and pop out babies like clockwork. It's not our fault that we can predict their first names either : Sean, Patrick, Conor, Colin, Erin, Trinity, Liam, Molly, Kate....etc.

juleswin
06-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Cowboys? (sexist)

You missed the biggest one. The Iris of Notre Dame should be next, I mean the Iris are actually real people who have been oppressed in the past. Remove the trademark on it now.

Anti Federalist
06-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Cowboys? (sexist)

The Boston Snuggle Bunnies.

The New York Marshmallows.

The Chicago Happy Elves.

The Los Angeles Fuzzy Kittens.

There's a good start.

CPUd
06-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Wasn't it an Indian who created their logo?

evilfunnystuff
06-18-2014, 03:27 PM

This would be awesome, maybe Washington Overlords

Carlybee
06-18-2014, 03:29 PM
you missed the part about Irish people being the only white people (along with Jews and Italians) in this country who are allowed to be proud of their heritage. Everybody else would be considered racist and "just white". This may in fact be partially due to Irish and Italians suffering in the past as immigrants. Not all Irish are smokers and dipshits, but most are drunks, grumpy Catholics, and pop out babies like clockwork. It's not our fault that we can predict their first names either : Sean, Patrick, Conor, Colin, Erin, Trinity, Liam, Molly, Kate....etc.

Uh no..the Scots Irish from Northern Ireland are Protestant.

Carlybee
06-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Give up mascots ...just call them the Washington Football People.

evilfunnystuff
06-18-2014, 03:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_JS5WCO31Y

Spikender
06-18-2014, 03:32 PM
I only wish people paid as much attention to the crumbling country around them as they did to the name of a fucking sports team.

Abolish the patent office and let them call themselves the Washington Scalpers for all I care. They'll suffer the consequences of their actions and lose business if people don't like their name.

heavenlyboy34
06-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Well, it's generally okay to be a proud German during Oktoberfest. ;) :D

bunklocoempire
06-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Harry, the fellow who flaunts his own name offending those of us who are follicle-ly challenged.

PRB
06-18-2014, 03:55 PM

NI is not part of Ireland as a country. I said "most"

PRB
06-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Well, it's generally okay to be a proud German during Oktoberfest. ;) :D

Which is not a holiday celebrated like St Patrick's Day.

PRB
06-18-2014, 03:58 PM
I only wish people paid as much attention to the crumbling country around them as they did to the name of a fucking sports team.

Abolish the patent office and let them call themselves the Washington Scalpers for all I care. They'll suffer the consequences of their actions and lose business if people don't like their name.

Patent office can't stop them from using the word. Patent and trademark office does (can) not censor, they can only decide whether to enforce a protection for the mark owners.

Spikender
06-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Patent office can't stop them from using the word. Patent and trademark office does (can) not censor, they can only decide whether to enforce a protection for the mark owners.

You act as if the two statements that I made in that second sentence aren't mutually exclusive.

CaptUSA
06-18-2014, 04:04 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10402516_648366331915389_2056096897959525553_n.jpg

PRB
06-18-2014, 04:11 PM
You act as if the two statements that I made in that second sentence aren't mutually exclusive.

I act as though they're not mutually exclusive, yes.

liberalnurse
06-18-2014, 04:49 PM

Chief Wahoo? Next? :(

dannno
06-18-2014, 04:53 PM
They fought this once before after losing in 99 and won on appeal in 03. Expect a new appeal to drag out for several years. Once all is said and done Dan Snyder might keep the name to spite the ruling. He just loses trademark protection. There is no law saying he can not keep the name or the signature emblem.

Right, I suppose he just won't be able to sue if somebody goes out and starts selling Redskins memorabilia.

UtahApocalypse
06-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Cowboys? (sexist)

Cleveland Indians.

Chicago Blackhawks.

Notice anything similar about both of those teams to the Redskins, and more importantly what is different?

LibForestPaul
06-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Better not ban this (http://thisiswhyimdrunk.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/for-web4-e1358203971539.jpg?w=500&h=691) beer!

Or this either bitches (http://31.media.tumblr.com/1d9d0dc026336fd3925c1d450c8becc8/tumblr_n2nla8X1C21s0dm0jo1_500.jpg)!

otherone
06-18-2014, 05:35 PM
spoiler alert: new team name-

WASHINGTON
http://www.wallydfantasyfootball.com/things/flip-off-middle-finger-fantasy-football-helmet-logo.png
BUREAUS

I heard rumors that their mascot is a 6-foot black dildo
(only after his second term is over).

Henry Rogue
06-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Washington Oppressors
Washington Warmongers
Washington Tax Ticks
Washington Leaches
Washington Thuggees
Washington Liers

Feeding the Abscess
06-18-2014, 06:51 PM

Chief Wahoo? Next? :(

The Indians have already removed Chief Wahoo from their uniforms and other apparel.

satchelmcqueen
06-18-2014, 08:08 PM
perfect name

ChristianAnarchist
06-18-2014, 08:29 PM
It's nuts. I've said many times that I don't even recognize this country and I don't...
The office of newspeak is requesting a larger budget. It's passage is guaranteed..

Snew
06-18-2014, 10:09 PM
The name is racist as heck but is waaaaay low on the importance scale if we are talking "justice" for Natives.

It's just the government posing as caring about them, when they couldn't give less of a crap. Look at the type of conditions most reservations are in, for goodness sake. :mad:

evilfunnystuff
06-18-2014, 10:19 PM
The name is racist as heck but is waaaaay low on the importance scale if we are talking "justice" for Natives.

It's just the government posing as caring about them, when they couldn't give less of a crap. Look at the type of conditions most reservations are in, for goodness sake. :mad:

I don't think it is racist at all.

It's not the Washington Indian Givers, or the Washington N-Words. lol

milgram
06-19-2014, 01:15 AM
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6786/go8m.png

EJ Hill @RicochetEJHill

#Redskins and Democrats in Congress reach compromise in flap over team name and logo.

AlexAmore
06-19-2014, 02:28 AM
Guys, please let me know when the council has reached a consensus, are we supposed to be happy that the government is NOT protecting a team/franchise's right to exclusively profit from a word? or mad that the government used its power to arbitrarily refuse to protect one team due to one word due to political correctness?

Is this government shrinking or expanding? I gotta know how to react and not piss off the sacred liberty movement.

You speak the truth and yet nobody here is listening. People here are acting like the government banned the word or something lol. Nope, the government just shrunk itself. We should be cheering.

The government stopped protecting a big corporation! WOOOHOOO THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!

Occam's Banana
06-19-2014, 05:24 AM
You speak the truth and yet nobody here is listening. People here are acting like the government banned the word or something lol. Nope, the government just shrunk itself. We should be cheering.

The government did not shrink shit - let alone itself.
They did nothing nothing but revoke a piece of paperwork.
ALL the authority and powers they possessed previously still exist and are still operational.

Let me know when they shut down the United States Patent and Trademark Office in toto.
THEN we can sanely and sensibly talk about the government having been "shrunk" ...

The government stopped protecting a big corporation! WOOOHOOO THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!

No, it isn't awesome. It's just another exercise of executive fiat.
The government did NOT stop "protecting a big corporation."
And it is not going to stop "protecting a big corporation."
It is merely indulging a politically-correct cause célèbre.

oyarde
06-19-2014, 08:52 AM

I am not sure I need a patent office .

AuH20
06-19-2014, 09:08 AM

Nope. The government is actively trying to diminish the product (the Redskin name) of an individual (Daniel Snyder) because they are on a social justice witch hunt. How would Apple feel if the fed gov barged in and told they can't use the prefix 'i' in their product device platforms? This is the exactly the same type of interference.

cajuncocoa
06-19-2014, 09:34 AM

Huh??

ifthenwouldi
06-19-2014, 10:15 AM
You know what I learned today from Wikipedia? That "Oklahoma" basically means "red people."

Oklahoma, as in the place where the US sent all the "civilized" red people IF they could survive the journey, with the promise (later broken) that they could have land to themselves. Funny that our Almighty Federal Government hasn't done anything about that...

oyarde
06-19-2014, 10:37 AM
You know what I learned today from Wikipedia? That "Oklahoma" basically means "red people."

Oklahoma, as in the place where the US sent all the "civilized" red people IF they could survive the journey, with the promise (later broken) that they could have land to themselves. Funny that our Almighty Federal Government hasn't done anything about that...

Yeah , the Indian Territory was established in 1834 with what I think was called The Indian Intercourse Act. 1907 , it was all over. The " removals " started about 1830 ,or 1831 to the area before the Indian Territory was established. The "Civilized" tribes would have been the Choctaw, Creek , Chickasaw , Cherokee and Seminole , I imagine. Originally it would have been inhabited by the Caddo , Wichita , Kiowa and later Osage.

acptulsa
06-19-2014, 12:03 PM

It's also the end of the last shreds of pretense that this federal government can provide a service which is held above politics and is, therefore, unarguably fair and respectable.

Not very. But as for the name, I don't see any tribe trying to get rid of the single most public use of the endangered Choctaw language in the world any time soon.

There's also historically some question whether 'red' might not be in the name to describe the dirt that comprises the western half of the state.

That said, the end of those treaties from the 1830s came when all the tribes here joined the Confederacy.

Yeah , the Indian Territory was established in 1834 with what I think was called The Indian Intercourse Act. 1907 , it was all over. The " removals " started about 1830 ,or 1831 to the area before the Indian Territory was established. The "Civilized" tribes would have been the Choctaw, Creek , Chickasaw , Cherokee and Seminole , I imagine. Originally it would have been inhabited by the Caddo , Wichita , Kiowa and later Osage.

Yes, those are the 'Five Civilized Tribes' whose Great Seals are partially reproduced on the State Seal. None of those are native to this region. And there are a few other native native tribes who did spend all or part of the year around here, like the Tonkawa and the Quapaw.

PRB
06-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Nope. The government is actively trying to diminish the product (the Redskin name) of an individual (Daniel Snyder) because they are on a social justice witch hunt. How would Apple feel if the fed gov barged in and told they can't use the prefix 'i' in their product device platforms? This is the exactly the same type of interference.

No, lacking trademark protection is not prohibiting you from using it. It's just preventing you from prohibiting other people from using it. Refusing to protect your mark and monopoly is not the same as prohibiting you to use it.

No wonder liberty movement people don't understand legal tender laws. To use your analogy about Apple, it would be equivalent to saying Apple can't have iPhone or iPad as trademarks, but they are still free to use them as names, they just can't stop other people from using it.

Occam's Banana
06-19-2014, 12:27 PM
No wonder liberty movement people don't understand legal tender laws.

What do legal tender laws have to do with it, and what don't I (as a "liberty movement" person) understand about them?

PRB
06-19-2014, 12:38 PM
What do legal tender laws have to do with it, and what don't I (as a "liberty movement" person) understand about them?

I didn't say everybody doesn't understand them, and you probably do. What I hear most common about the mischaracterization of legal tender laws, is that it prohibits alternative forms of currency, or forces people to always accept cash, or worse yet, that gold and silver are prohibited as barter.

Point being, by analogy, lacking protection to exclude, is not the same as prohibiting use. Similarly, lacking the ability to force a person to use bitcoin as currency, is not the same as prohibiting use of bitcoin as currency.

AlexAmore
06-19-2014, 02:53 PM
The government did not shrink shit - let alone itself.
They did nothing nothing but revoke a piece of paperwork.
ALL the authority and powers they possessed previously still exist and are still operational.

Let me know when they shut down the United States Patent and Trademark Office in toto.
THEN we can sanely and sensibly talk about the government having been "shrunk" ...

What the Patent office did was a step in the right direction, regardless of motives. When I said "shrink", I mean they are less prolific, even if by a tiny amount. As long as they are operational, they still have that coercive power, so they could expand later on. I suppose this is an argument against Minarchism.

Someone already addressed your woeful ignorance, but I'll do it again. You're comparing apples and oranges. The Fed just told America that they aren't gonna allow a corporation to monopolize a name using the force of government. So not only is the Fed not saying "You can't use Redskins", they are ACTUALLY saying "EVERYBODY can use the word Redskins".

Huh??

Durrr.

acptulsa
06-19-2014, 03:06 PM
What the Patent office did was a step in the right direction, regardless of motives. When I said "shrink", I mean they are less prolific, even if by a tiny amount. As long as they are operational, they still have that coercive power, so they could expand later on. I suppose this is an argument against Minarchism.

Argument? Reads like a little random free association to me.

Someone already addressed your woeful ignorance, but I'll do it again. You're comparing apples and oranges. The Fed just told America that they aren't gonna allow a corporation to monopolize a name using the force of government. So not only is the Fed not saying "You can't use Redskins", they are ACTUALLY saying "EVERYBODY can use the word Redskins".

Someone already addressed your woeful ignorance, but I guess I'll do it again. The word redskins is not something anyone was ever restricted from using except by good taste. Neither are the words seahawk, chief, cowboy, lion, bengal, jaguar, panther, forty-niner, bear, brown, packer, eagle, ram, cardinal, saint or et cetera. The patent office has de-trademarked the team logo, despite the fact that it was never considered particularly derogatory (Chief Waco it ain't) and despite the fact that it's a drawing which should receive automatic copyright protection, as a misplaced reaction to the offensive name.

Durrr.

Huh.

Occam's Banana
06-19-2014, 03:23 PM
When I said "shrink", I mean they are less prolific, even if by a tiny amount.

I guess my liberty meter just isn't sensitive enough to detect parts-per-gazumpty-bazillion ...

acptulsa
06-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I guess my liberty meter just isn't sensitive enough to detect parts-per-gazumpty-bazillion ...

...especially when withdrawing protection for an 'artwork' which should get it automatically over public reaction to a word associated with it could be considered to be exercising a tiny iota less power, but certainly exercises power in a more injudicial, prejudicial and discriminatory manner.

PRB
06-19-2014, 03:44 PM
The word redskins is not something anyone was ever restricted from using except by good taste. Neither are the words seahawk, chief, cowboy, lion, bengal, jaguar, panther, forty-niner, bear, brown, packer, eagle, ram, cardinal, saint or et cetera.

and still isn't.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-19-2014, 04:11 PM
The real kicker is how the liberal heathen uses his government gods to promote terms that are not even accurate or are themselves disparaging. They actually pat themselves on their intellectual backs thinking that Native American or Asian-American is somehow better or more accurate than Oriental or colored man.

AuH20
06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
No, lacking trademark protection is not prohibiting you from using it. It's just preventing you from prohibiting other people from using it. Refusing to protect your mark and monopoly is not the same as prohibiting you to use it.

No wonder liberty movement people don't understand legal tender laws. To use your analogy about Apple, it would be equivalent to saying Apple can't have iPhone or iPad as trademarks, but they are still free to use them as names, they just can't stop other people from using it.

You do realize the NFL may step in, now that the Washington Redskins lost their trademark protection? This entire charade is about forcing the owner's hand. A very calculated shakedown is at work, hence Reid's recent comments.

LibForestPaul
06-19-2014, 05:08 PM
How would treaties hold up? If the owners still have trademark protection overseas?

PRB
06-19-2014, 05:25 PM
You do realize the NFL may step in, now that the Washington Redskins lost their trademark protection? This entire charade is about forcing the owner's hand. A very calculated shakedown is at work, hence Reid's recent comments.

NFL didn't need the USPTO's permission to ban them from using the name. So they always had such a right. USPTO cannot protect them against NFL rules.

PRB
06-19-2014, 05:26 PM
How would treaties hold up? If the owners still have trademark protection overseas?

trademarks like these are rarely violated overseas. so it's too small to matter.

CaptUSA
06-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Well, this is pretty funny. H/T Draft Judge Napolitano For President

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10440849_676692889067986_4591693646704099624_n.jpg
http://constitutionalrightspac.com/campaign-petition/change-the-redskins-name-to-the-washington-tea-party

Henry Rogue
06-19-2014, 07:08 PM

I made no comment on Trade Marks. Nor did I defend the teams current name. I suggested alternative names that reflect the character of the city that team calls home.

There are plenty of members here who are pro IP law, so for those members criticizing the governments action isn't hypocritical at all. For me it demonstrates the governments willingness to pick and choose who it protects and who it doesn't. Rule of Law, no. Rule by Whim. I'm all for getting rid of IP laws, but don't be selective about it, then it's just another weapon to use against your political or economic enemies. In this particular situation it is used for social engineering.

AlexAmore
06-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Someone already addressed your woeful ignorance, but I guess I'll do it again. The word redskins is not something anyone was ever restricted from using except by good taste. Neither are the words seahawk, chief, cowboy, lion, bengal, jaguar, panther, forty-niner, bear, brown, packer, eagle, ram, cardinal, saint or et cetera. The patent office has de-trademarked the team logo, despite the fact that it was never considered particularly derogatory (Chief Waco it ain't) and despite the fact that it's a drawing which should receive automatic copyright protection, as a misplaced reaction to the offensive name.

Well obviously you're nitpicking. I hope we're all on the same page that when I say "Redskins" I mean the logo. Anybody should be able to create a Redskins or Patriots t-shirt according to their taste and sell it freely. If the best you can do is nitpick my semantics, I wouldn't waste your time. My argument still stands.

Clearly, you're in favor of governments using force to protect intellectual property. The problem is that is a completely anti-free market position. The Redskins can make plenty of money elsewhere, they don't need the government protection to make money from their artwork. Governments are artifically inflating the value of combinations of colors. Making a copy of something is not aggression. I have not stolen anything, I have merely rearranged things in a similar fashion.

Nobody has a right to a combination of words or graphics...these things are not scarce. If they do have a right, show me where it's written in the fabric of the universe. It's probably just some BS someone thought up, right? When we start allowing people think up rights they have, we end up with liberals. Stop acting like a liberal.

You don't have the right to tell me what to do with my property. How do you enforce IP without the initiation of force? I have a pen, I have paper, I can write what I want. I can draw what I want. I can put it on a shirt and freely exchange goods. Who are you to put a gun to my head and say no? You're willing to kill me on these grounds...to protect someone's wallet that I have not even touched or looked at?

Root
06-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Wtf Chief? Racist gonna racist.
http://hdwallpappers.com/images/wallpapers/Cleveland-Indians-mobile-wallpaper_.jpg

acptulsa
06-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Well obviously you're nitpicking. I hope we're all on the same page that when I say "Redskins" I mean the logo.

Maybe starting now. Maybe.

Anybody should be able to create a Redskins or Patriots t-shirt according to their taste and sell it freely. If the best you can do is nitpick my semantics, I wouldn't waste your time. My argument still stands.

Clearly, you're in favor of governments using force to protect intellectual property.

That's one hell of an assumption to glean from me informing you on the difference between the word 'logo' and the word 'word'. How the hell did you manage to leap the one from the other? Please, walk us through this process. We're all dying to see your chain of evidence.

The problem is that is a completely anti-free market position. The Redskins can make plenty of money elsewhere, they don't need the government protection to make money from their artwork. Governments are artifically inflating the value of combinations of colors. Making a copy of something is not aggression. I have not stolen anything, I have merely rearranged things in a similar fashion.

So go sell copies of Red Dawn and see if you can out-talk Tom Clancy, because I don't care.

Nobody has a right to a combination of words or graphics...these things are not scarce.

Especially words. Why, I had a strange and unfamiliar combination of words forcibly stuffed in my mouth this very day. By you.

Do I have a right to deny them, at least?

If they do have a right, show me where it's written in the fabric of the universe. It's probably just some BS someone thought up, right? When we start allowing people think up rights they have, we end up with liberals. Stop acting like a liberal.

I'm acting like a liberal because I'm not close enough to the fabric of the universe to read the fine print? I could have sworn I've known several people over the course of my life who weren't liberals, yet had never once read the fabric of the universe.

You don't have the right to tell me what to do with my property.

You don't have a right to tell me what to spit out of my mouth either, but it doesn't seem to be slowing you down any.

How do you enforce IP without the initiation of force? I have a pen, I have paper, I can write what I want. I can draw what I want. I can put it on a shirt and freely exchange goods. Who are you to put a gun to my head and say no? You're willing to kill me on these grounds...to protect someone's wallet that I have not even touched or looked at?

Oh, trust me. If I kill you it will be for running around like a teenaged girl telling people I said stuff which I never, in fact, even alluded to. You won't have to touch a pen to get killed that way.

Damn, man. Who are you having this conversation with really? Does one of your roommates sound just like me, or something? Or are you confusing me with one of the voices in your head?

phill4paul
06-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Re-brand. I'm a marketing genius.......

http://www.peanut.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/337e76d9767a67c3b7c4ebde255d00da/r/e/redskin-salted-peanuts-can.jpg

and for our latest immigrants...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XDOsozp-L._SX300_.jpg

and.......

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyDMdDelLNISJUR9w56Nsq4UYL6VtMz Q1ngyv_F2mMyg9DydiN

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m1XhPdY2gtTHAU7R5XPaM4A.jpg

It's genius. Redskins and Planters go together like..peanuts and football.

oyarde
06-19-2014, 10:46 PM
It's also the end of the last shreds of pretense that this federal government can provide a service which is held above politics and is, therefore, unarguably fair and respectable.

Not very. But as for the name, I don't see any tribe trying to get rid of the single most public use of the endangered Choctaw language in the world any time soon.

There's also historically some question whether 'red' might not be in the name to describe the dirt that comprises the western half of the state.

That said, the end of those treaties from the 1830s came when all the tribes here joined the Confederacy.

Yes, those are the 'Five Civilized Tribes' whose Great Seals are partially reproduced on the State Seal. None of those are native to this region. And there are a few other native native tribes who did spend all or part of the year around here, like the Tonkawa and the Quapaw.

Yeah , I should not have forgot about the Tonkawa , dead language , believed to have been unique and not shared , different one now , I think ,nearly wiped out by the Apache , probably as early as the 17th century , probably the Lipan , who they were later allied with for a time as they had been previously with the Comanche. I have been to Blanco Canyon , I think , where they later fought the Comanche. From some things , I imagine they once lived closely with the Waco. There were originally a dozen or groups of them , I have no real idea which of those groups were the majority of the surviving 40 or so that has now become , less than 600. I have had a few arrow points from these peoples at one time , think I gave them to one of my Grand Daughters .

acptulsa
06-19-2014, 11:02 PM
We got most of the tribes, but not all.

The Iroquois, Lakota and some other tribes managed to avoid relocation somehow. The Apache, Navajo, Hopi and some others were left in their desert because nobody else wanted it. When the Santa Fe built across the Mojave they had to train Apaches to build track because no one else could survive the working conditions. I'm certain they still have many Apaches maintaining that stretch of rail to this day. The Nez Perces seem to have earned the right for themselves and some of their neighbors to stay on the salmon rivers by being some of the most tactically brilliant warriors the world has ever seen. They didn't thrive in Oklahoma and managed to get sent back; I suspect some calvary generals developed soft spots for them.

But we got a great many tribes from a great many places. I like it. I can always find a powwow.

acptulsa
06-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Oh, wait I get it. AA, you built that whole sand castle on this, didn't you?

...and despite the fact that it's a drawing which should receive automatic copyright protection...

Dude. Dude. I was just saying what the current state of U.S. jurisprudence was when the fedgov was actually following and enforcing federal law. You know, before it went nuts and decided that pandering to the easily offended was more important than the rule of law in the society. I wasn't endorsing that law, I was just saying what the federal government would have done had it actually given a shit a about the law.

Dude. Don't take a used match and a chewing gum wrapper and use it to claim I wrote Mein Kampf again. Deal?

PRB
06-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Well, this is pretty funny. H/T Draft Judge Napolitano For President

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10440849_676692889067986_4591693646704099624_n.jpg
http://constitutionalrightspac.com/campaign-petition/change-the-redskins-name-to-the-washington-tea-party

funny, but won't actually piss off the PC left. You need racial slurs or sexist slurs to do that.

Tea Party will just be nicknamed what lefties already use as an epiphet-teabagger

PRB
06-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Clearly, you're in favor of governments using force to protect intellectual property.

Property of any kind is by definition protected by force. If it's legitimate property, why does it matter who's using force to protect it? Either the owner will protect it or he'll hire somebody to, or he'll pay taxes for somebody to.

PRB
06-20-2014, 12:29 AM
Nobody has a right to a combination of words or graphics...these things are not scarce.

So I can ask people to donate to the Rand Paul 2016 campaign by sending money to my bank account or bitcoin wallet?

I mean, nobody can tell me what words to use, right?

PRB
06-20-2014, 12:30 AM
If they do have a right, show me where it's written in the fabric of the universe. It's probably just some BS someone thought up, right? When we start allowing people think up rights they have, we end up with liberals. Stop acting like a liberal.

Show me first where in the fabric of this universe, it's written you have a right to live. Go ahead, show me, show me how it's not made up by man.

Todd
06-20-2014, 05:14 AM
The Other Redskins: Here’s A Map Of The 62 High Schools That Still Use That Nickname

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/the-other-redskins-heres-a-map-of-the-62-high-schools-that-still-use-that-nickname/

Oh.....and one of the schools is on a Navajo reservation and 90% Native American and home of the Red Messa Redskins.

http://rlv.zcache.com/red_mesa_redskins_high_teec_nos_pos_arizona-rd76c7e8ae8704953a51d761d25e096aa_8nhmf_512.jpg

oyarde
06-20-2014, 08:02 AM
The Other Redskins: Here’s A Map Of The 62 High Schools That Still Use That Nickname

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/the-other-redskins-heres-a-map-of-the-62-high-schools-that-still-use-that-nickname/

Oh.....and one of the schools is on a Navajo reservation and 90% Native American and home of the Red Messa Redskins.

http://rlv.zcache.com/red_mesa_redskins_high_teec_nos_pos_arizona-rd76c7e8ae8704953a51d761d25e096aa_8nhmf_512.jpg
Red Mesa Redskins is pretty cool , but it will be hard to top the fierce and angry Arab used at Coachella Valley High in Calif. :)

Carlybee
06-20-2014, 08:20 AM

The high school my son went to here in Houstopia were forced to get rid of their redskins moniker.

oyarde
06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
The high school my son went to here in Houstopia were forced to get rid of their redskins moniker.

Not surprising , what else from a place originally named Buffalo Bayou ?

Carlybee
06-20-2014, 08:38 AM

My ancestors are Chickasaws removed to Oklahoma. The Chickasaws have done pretty well in the state.

The tribe owns two off-track wagering facilities, 18 casinos, two bingo halls, 18 tribal smoke shops, seven motor fuel outlets, and two truck stops. They also own and operate Bedré Fine Chocolate in Pauls Valley, Lazer Zone Family Fun Center in Ada; WinStar Inn and Suites and Golf Course in Thackerville; Solara Healthcare in Westlake, Texas; Chickasaw Nation Industries in Norman, Oklahoma; Global Gaming Solutions, LLC; KADA (AM), KADA-FM, KCNP, KTLS, KXFC, and KYKC radio stations in Ada; and Treasure Valley Inn and Suites in Davis. Their estimated annual tribal economic impact is over $13.9 billion.[1] In addition, the Chickasaw Nation operates historical sites and museums including the Chickasaw Cultural Center, Chickasaw Nation Capitols, and Kullihoma Grounds.

Their casinos include Ada Gaming Center, Chisholm Trail Casino, Gold Mountain Casino, Newcastle Casino, Riverwind Casino, Treasure Valley Casino, SaltCreek Casino, and WinStar World Casino. They also own Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas and Remington Park Casino in Oklahoma City.

oyarde
06-20-2014, 09:23 AM
My ancestors are Chickasaws removed to Oklahoma. The Chickasaws have done pretty well in the state.

Golf course , for some reason that strikes me as funny .

Carlybee
06-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Golf course , for some reason that strikes me as funny .

They also run a bunch of healthcare clinics and not just in Oklahoma. *edit...that's the Solara clinic listed

cajuncocoa
06-20-2014, 11:31 AM
The Dallas Cowboys are Next (http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/the-dallas-cowboys-are-next/)

After all, it was cowboys who shot and killed all those redskins (er, I mean, Native Americans) as depicted in hundreds of movies and television shows known as “Westerns.” Then there are the Buffalo Bills. The so-called “Buffalo Soldiers” of the late nineteenth century were ex-slaves recruited into the U.S. Army to assist in the army’s campaign of mass murder and genocide against the Plains Indians. This cannot stand.

parocks
06-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Maybe they're picking off the owner of sports teams they don't like one by one. They didn't like Clippers owner either.

PRB
06-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Maybe they're picking off the owner of sports teams they don't like one by one. They didn't like Clippers owner either.

It's not one group, though they may all utlimately subscribe to the same ideology. NBA did not get federal government involved.

William Smitch
08-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Well first of all I would like to introduce you about trademark that. A Trademark can be a word, letter, number,symbol, shape, logo, design, scent or phrase used by trader for distinguishing their goods within the marketplace. It help consumers to recognize the origin or source of the goods or services being offered. Trademark Solution (http://www.trademarksolutions.com.au/) provide all these services to individual client, small business or a company.
I think this is not a bad introduction about trademark if you are all agreed with this :-)
Have a nice day .
Take care n Good Bye

Root
09-10-2014, 09:26 AM
FCC's Wheeler: 'Redskins' Name Is Offensive, Should Go

FCC chairman Tom Wheeler says he thinks the "Redskins" name for Washington's NFL team is offensive and should be changed, but thinks public pressure is the best vehicle for that exit.

Former FCC chair Reed Hundt, who is leading an effort (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/former-fcc-officials-push-broadcaster-forum-team-name/123801)) by former FCC officials and others to get Redskins owner Dan Snyder to change the name of the team, had asked FCC commissioners to speak out. Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel has said she knew the name was offensive to a number of people and had concerns herself (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/fcc-s-rosenworcel-has-concerns-about-redskins-name/133579), but Wheeler had yet to weigh in -- the other commissioners have declined comment.

"I don’t use the term personally and I think it is offensive and derogatory," he told B&C/Multichannel News. "I am a Civil War buff," Wheeler pointed out, "and there were a lot of terms that were appropriate at that time that aren’t appropriate any more."

Hundt has said he thinks the term could be indecent (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/hundt-redskins-use-may-make-snyder-unfit-licensee/132141) by FCC standards or its use disqualify Snyder under character qualifications for ownership ().

George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf has gone further, challenging the license of Snyder's WWXX-FM (ESPN 980) Washington over the broadcast of the name "Redskins," arguing that it could be indecent, or borderline obscene, or possibly hate speech, and in any event its use is not in the public interest, which broadcasters must serve as the condition of their license.

"Does the FCC have a role in advancing that goal beyond the bully pulpit?" B&C/Multi asked Wheeler. "I think it would be great if the Washington football team would recognize those kinds of changes itself," he says. "I hope that this is something that if enough people express themselves, Dan Snyder can see which way things are going."

Over 100 groups including Common Cause and NAACP last week asked broadcasters (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/groups-ask-broadcasters-eschew-use-redskins/133638) to stop using the name, saying it was a dictionary-defined slur.

The Washington Post has decided not to use the name (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/washington-post-editorial-board-shuns-redskins/133396) on its opinion pages, and the New York Daily News has said (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/ny-daily-news-scrubs-redskins-paper/133647) it won't use it in stories about the team. In Washington, Democratic legislators have pushed for a name change, led by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), and the Copyright Office has ruled the name offensive and won't extend federal protection to Redskins-licensed merchandise.

On that front, e-commerce site Etsy said this week (http://%28http//www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fates-and-fortunes/etsy-expunges-redskins-name-logo-site/133834) it will no longer carry items with the name or logo in its online marketplace. That may be less of a sacrifice that it once might have been. There are reports, cited by Etsy, that sales of Redskins merchandise have dropped dramatically in the wake of the name controversy.

- See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/news/fcc/fccs-wheeler-redskins-name-offensive-should-go/383700#sthash.HGxyFE8H.UYrXJdrU.dpuf

FFS already :rolleyes: Please get me a ride out of bizzaro-world. smh

AuH20
09-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Less than 25% of the total population wants the name changed, yet they have carefully crafted this meme that the Redskin name can no longer be tolerated. This recent poll is proof positive how liberal elites and other goons manipulate public opinion with their media organs.

COpatriot
09-10-2014, 10:49 AM
This whole media-manufactured "controversy" has made me incredibly happy I chose not to pursue a career in sports media. This has opened my eyes to the fact that the profession is filled with a bunch of sanctimonious, disingenuous, self-important cretins. They publicly announce that they have hopped on the bandwagon with grovelling articles filled with feigned outrage over this name that they suddenly find offensive, and then arrogantly assume that they have the moral high ground over everyone else. And then the people that want it changed resort to bullying and intimidation to try to force others to not even say the word "redskins". Most Americans either don't want it changed or don't give a shit and that includes most natives. If this was as offensive to natives as these people insist it is, there would not be high schools with a majority of native American students that also use the redskins as their mascot.

My favorite argument they use is that it's no different than having a team named the "Washington N-words." I've heard people use every slur you can think of in a hateful/derogatory context. Has anyone ever heard someone actually refer to a native American as a "redskin" before? I haven't. And who uses the name of their mascot to demean instead of choosing something intimidating? Answer: Nobody, and that includes the Redskins.

And watch, they'll go after the Kansas City Chiefs next and then the Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, and everyone else that uses anything even remotely similar. They've already strong-armed multiple universities into changing their names and getting rid of other traditions over this bullshit. They won't stop with the Redskins.