PDA

View Full Version : RPFs.com ChipIn: A Soldiers Christmas - Cowlesy threw down a $500 matching challenge!

Bryan
12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
RonPaulForums.com is pleased to announce a community ChipIn project to send care packages to soldiers serving in Iraq providing a great opportunity for us to make a difference for our troops.

This ChipIn is a collaborative effort that will be under the direction of forum member Airborne373, Douglas, to compliment his ongoing efforts in sending similar care packages. Douglas is a U.S. Army Veteran who served with the 3rd BN ABN 73rd Armor, this unit was deactivated in 1997 but was recently reinstated as the 3rd BN (RSTA) 73rd Cavalry Regiment and will be the ones receiving our care packs. This unit has been deployed in the Middle East for over 5 months with at least 10 months to go, the units Command SGM is an old friend of Douglas.

WHAT'S TO BE SENT: Items we plan to send included beef jerky, candy that does not melt, gum, personal hygiene products, books, magazines, DVD's and other items per Douglas' direction. We may expand this to some basic field items such as quality pocket lights & multi-tools if funds allow and as needed. If you would like to donate for something specific please indicate before hand to assure there are no issues. We will not be sending any slimjims or the like. We will include a card as written below, contributors can include additional personal letters.

DETAILS: The ChipIn will run until December 7th. On the weekend of December 8/9 Josh, myself and any other interested Houston area meet-up members will complete the purchases of items and pack them ready for shipment to Iraq so they can arrive by Christmas. We plan to photograph and post as much of the experience as possible so all can enjoy the fruits of the community effort. 100% of the ChipIn funds will be used for newly purchased care package items and postage (about $1.15 per pound).

NOTE FOR HOUSTONIANS: Anyone in the Houston area that would like to help out on this should post here or PM so we can arrange details of where and when. Please indicate if you would like to bring something to add to the package so Douglas can assure it is suitable.

I have spoken on the phone for several hours with Douglas regarding this effort, Ron Paul, his military background and the future of our country and I am very excited to have a chance to make a difference working alongside with such a patriot, I hope others will join in as they can.

Here is the ChipIn:
http://ronpaulforumsdotcom.chipin.com/a-soldiers-christmas

THE CARD:
--------------
Gentlemen,

It is an honor to know that the great American heritage is being uplifted by the paratroopers of the 3RD Squadron (RSTA), 73RD Cavalry Regiment Airborne. Your service in defending liberty and the US Constitution will forever be immeasurable and words alone can not thank you enough. Within our community we stand with you in support of freedom as we see it as a cornerstone of mankind's quest. This is the importance of the mission and why our community on the homeland honors you.

Your friends and countrymen at the RonPaulForums.com community

--------------

NOTE: It's understood not everyone will agree/partake in this project but please note this is not a debate thread- thanks.

Geronimo
12-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Bump

JenHarris
12-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I gave $100 to the other thread before it became a forums thing but it's a good cause so I'm in for $50 more.

CurtisLow
12-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I donated $30.76

noztnac
12-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't know if this chipin had anything to do with me. Several days ago I recommended a chipin for care packages to soldiers.

Anyway, I choose to think it did.

Great to see someone doing it.

I'm notifying my entire family. Hopefully they will "chipin."

Best of luck.:)

daniroyer
12-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I'll try to give $10 or more on Monday when my husband gets paid. This is a terrific cause. No matter what your stance on the war, those soliders need our love.

Cowlesy
12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Bryan & Josh -- Thanks for organizing this. If there are a group of Americans who could use a little boost at Christmas time, it's our freakin' troops sweatin' it out in the middle of the desert.

I'm in for $50.

Thanks again,
RC

Anyone willing to match me? It's true the best thing we can do for our troops is to get them home ASAP, but since we can't get them home for this xmas, let's try to make it a little easier on them.

JenHarris
12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Is it just me or are donations not showing up on the chip in? I see $50 and that's it.

daniroyer
12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Is it just me or are donations not showing up on the chip in? I see $50 and that's it.

When I logged in about 5 minutes ago, it was $200. I've been seeing it go up all night.

freedominnumbers
12-01-2007, 11:50 PM
This is a worthwhile cause.

Look what I got back last time.
http://i14.tinypic.com/6s70pdg.jpg

literatim
12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
We could send Ron Paul's book. :)

Cowlesy
12-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah I only see $50 as well, and that was before my $50. Maybe it has something to do with caches or something.

Bryan
12-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah I only see $50 as well, and that was before my $50. Maybe it has something to do with caches or something.

In one of my browsers is says $200, the other is $50- so it is some weird (and annoying) caching issue. I'm going to take a look into it.

BTW- Thanks everyone!! I'll be adding in a good bit, they won't let you ChipIn to your own deal.

forronpaulicy
12-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Regarding the note, are we sure that everyone it is going to is a gentleman? Just wouldn't want to leave anyone out.

Bryan
12-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Regarding the note, are we sure that everyone it is going to is a gentleman? Just wouldn't want to leave anyone out.

That's a good question- the answer is yes from what Douglas tells me which is coming from the field officer. For sure something to be aware of but best to be as specific as possible IMHO (better than saying "People," :))

inibo
12-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Transaction ID: 5CE57547JY4882105 Placed on Dec. 2, 2007
Payment For Quantity Price
A Soldiers Christmas by RonPaulForums.com (ronpaulforums@yahoo.com)
1 $50.00 USD

If it is not too late can we please not use the word "homeland" in the note?

Say "in the States" or "at home" or anything else, but please. Not that word.

indivi
12-02-2007, 03:03 AM

I completely agree. Also, I donated as well.

Bryan
12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
We could send Ron Paul's book. :)
I'll have to think about that one. I do have an extra copy... I'll consult my council. :)

Transaction ID: 5CE57547JY4882105 Placed on Dec. 2, 2007
A Soldiers Christmas by RonPaulForums.com (ronpaulforums@yahoo.com)
1 $50.00 USD

There seems to be some solid consensus for a change (via PMs), it's not altering the meaning or intent so I'll go with it so long are there are no objections from any who have already donated.

Cowlesy
12-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Sounds good to me. Thanks again for doing this on behalf of us for the troops.

JenHarris
12-02-2007, 10:33 AM
The change doesn't bother me. Btw I talked to my Dad who's a vet and he suggested also sending things like canned nuts and cookies. Not everyone is a fan of jerky. Those might have been on the list already, but just thought I'd throw that out there in case they weren't.

freedominnumbers
12-02-2007, 10:36 AM
It cost me about $200 to send cookies to all 1000 troops overseas from CT.
Bought Famous Amos from Sams Club.

Cowlesy
12-02-2007, 10:37 AM
If anyone else wants other ideas for the troops, a fraternity alumnus and friend of mine runs a deli in Newark NJ and has donated I believe over 2 TONS of salami to the troops. It's been going on for a while, and for $10 (cost w/shipping) they send the troops a big chunk of salami.

www.operationsalamidrop.com
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7730298/

CurtisLow
12-02-2007, 12:11 PM
How about some playing cards of Ron Paul. And on the back have a photo of him and some facts about him on the inside?

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1491/getshoppingcartthumbnaiib8.jpg

http://sellsystems.centrics.com/Generic/EditProof.aspx

You don't have to use this company.

I'm sure someone could come up with a great design.

daniroyer
12-02-2007, 02:25 PM
The playing cards sound like a great idea.

Maybe include some of the Ron Paul postcards they have on the official campain site? It gives RP info to them and they can use them to write to their families.

My mom still has the postcards she recieved from her brother during Vietnam.

olehounddog
12-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Say "in the States" or "at home" or anything else, but please. Not that word.[/QUOTE]

I donated earlier today. I agree with not using that word.
Keep up the good work.

steph3n
12-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I am just bumping this topic but I am only seeing the $50 all the time as well :(

Cowlesy
12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Stephen -- I see $350 now...woot :)

steph3n
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Stephen -- I see $350 now...woot :)

Still $50 here, oh well chipin is dumb sometimes :)

Bryan
12-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks everyone for chipping in! There are 300 soldiers in the 373 so there is still pleantly of room before we get to going overboard. :)

I talked to Douglas - sending the book will be good so I'll add my extra copy of that in there.

Here is the ChipIn again:

:)

robert4rp08
12-04-2007, 12:59 AM
awesome. count me in for $50.

if appropriate, i'd be willing to contribute some ron paul business cards. just need an address to mail them to.

derdy
12-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Donated $10. It's all I could do for now. I actually donated a yesterday or the day before.

inibo
12-05-2007, 08:28 PM
This Payment will appear on your credit card statement as "BRYAN"

Transaction ID: 3YV71557UK580903S Placed on Dec. 5, 2007
Contribution to A Soldiers Christmas by RonPaulForums.com (ronpaulforums@yahoo.com)
Total Amount: $50.00 USD

Bumpity.

Cowlesy
12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
My first decree as a Mod is that you all considering at least chipping in $5 to our friends/son/daughters/neighbors over in that forsaken desert country known as Iraq!! ;)

Cowlesy
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
In fact, I will issue a challenge. If the board can get the amount from the current $510 to $1000, I will contribute an extra $500 to it on December 15th (xmas bonus day), effectively a 50% increase of the board's contributions.

Let's support the troops!

Bryan
12-07-2007, 10:38 AM
In fact, I will issue a challenge. If the board can get the amount from the current $510 to $1000, I will contribute an extra $500 to it on December 15th (xmas bonus day), effectively a 50% increase of the board's contributions.

Let's support the troops!
:eek: So how about it everyone? Can we do this? Today is the last day!

We're talking 300 troops here...

steph3n
12-07-2007, 10:42 AM
:eek: So how about it everyone? Can we do this? Today is the last day!

We're talking 300 troops here...

donated

Bryan
12-07-2007, 12:57 PM
donated

Thanks steph3n! Now Cowlesy has me all excited about this ChipIn! I'm wondering it he'll allow my off-line ChipIn since the system won't let you ChipIn to your own account. :)

I really want to his challenge meet!

Bryan
12-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Shameless bump- can we meet Cowlesys challenge? :)

airborne373
12-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi fellow RP supporters and patriots.

My words cannot convey the appreciation and pride I have for all of you who have given your hard earned money to support our citizens in uniform. This is a very effective way to reach out to our fighting men and women. All the money goes directly to purchase comfort items and shipping. This is the great thing about grassroots efforts real people helping others without management or bureaucratic costs. For me this is an ongoing effort, my former unit will not come home before August, 2008, if then.

I have not let the guys at the 3/73 know all the details yet but have let them know there is an effort underway for their benefit. I wanted to see the level of actual support first. I have received an email from the battalion command and I will share part of it with you now:

"I am glad you were able to access some of the good news stories that are out there about the Squadron these Paratroopers have done a tremendous job here and I,m very proud to be a part of this organization once again.

Now of course Christmas will not be the same but whatever your contributions and others are willing to send Doug is much appreciated. Nothing in particular the items you've sent us in the past were fantastic. So far we've done well to accommodate the Troopers getting out of here on R&R. What I am going to do is give you a call perhaps this weekend but very soon so that we can talk in person because I do have something for you that I want to send to you on behalf of myself and the Commander.

It's not much but I think you would appreciate it because it is in appreciation for your support and that doesn't always come easy as some would think. I've attached a few photos so enjoy and I'll be in touch with you soon."

CSM 3rd Squadron 73rd Cavalry

http://i221.photobucket.com/abums/d49/airborne373/Top4-1weblog.jpg

NOTE: This is a non-partisan effort to support our troops, not my fault if Ron Paul supporters show their support better.

steph3n
12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi fellow RP supporters and patriots.

My words cannot convey the appreciation and pride I have for all of you who have given your hard earned money to support our citizens in uniform. This is a very effective way to reach out to our fighting men and women. All the money goes directly to purchase comfort items and shipping. This is the great thing about grassroots efforts real people helping others without management or bureaucratic costs. For me this is an ongoing effort, my former unit will not come home before August, 2008, if then.

I have not let the guys at the 3/73 know all the details yet but have let them know there is an effort underway for their benefit. I wanted to see the level of actual support first. I have received an email from the battalion command and I will share part of it with you now:

"I am glad you were able to access some of the good news stories that are out there about the Squadron these Paratroopers have done a tremendous job here and I,m very proud to be a part of this organization once again.

Now of course Christmas will not be the same but whatever your contributions and others are willing to send Doug is much appreciated. Nothing in particular the items you've sent us in the past were fantastic. So far we've done well to accommodate the Troopers getting out of here on R&R. What I am going to do is give you a call perhaps this weekend but very soon so that we can talk in person because I do have something for you that I want to send to you on behalf of myself and the Commander.

It's not much but I think you would appreciate it because it is in appreciation for your support and that doesn't always come easy as some would think. I've attached a few photos so enjoy and I'll be in touch with you soon."

CSM 3rd Squadron 73rd Cavalry

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd49/airborne373/Top4-1weblog.jpg

NOTE: This is a non-partisan effort to support our troops, not my fault if Ron Paul supporters show their support better.

Looks like thanksgiving decor, glad you started this effort!

Wayne Hammond
12-08-2007, 01:27 PM