PDA

View Full Version : Stop Calling the Iraq War a 'Mistake'

enhanced_deficit
06-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Dennis J. Kucinich

Stop Calling the Iraq War a 'Mistake'

06/16/2014

As Iraq descends into chaos again, more than a decade after "Mission Accomplished," media commentators and politicians have mostly agreed upon calling the war a "mistake." But the "mistake" rhetoric is the language of denial, not contrition: it minimizes the Iraq War's disastrous consequences, removes blame, and deprives Americans of any chance to learn from our generation's foreign policy disaster. The Iraq War was not a "mistake" -- it resulted from calculated deception. The painful, unvarnished fact is that we were lied to. Now is the time to have the willingness to say that.

In fact, the truth about Iraq was widely available, but it was ignored. There were no WMD. Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11. The war wasn't about liberating the Iraqi people. I said this in Congress in 2002. Millions of people who marched in America in protest of the war knew the truth, but were maligned by members of both parties for opposing the president in a time of war -- and even leveled with the spurious charge of "not supporting the troops."

I've written and spoken widely about this topic, so today I offer two ways we can begin to address our role:

1) President Obama must tell us the truth about Iraq and the false scenario that caused us to go to war.
When Obama took office in 2008, he announced that his administration would not investigate or prosecute the architects of the Iraq War. Essentially, he suspended public debate about the war. That may have felt good in the short term for those who wanted to move on, but when you're talking about a war initiated through lies, bygones can't be bygones.
The unwillingness to confront the truth about the Iraq War has induced a form of amnesia which is hazardous to our nation's health. Willful forgetting doesn't heal, it opens the door to more lying. As today's debate ensues about new potential military "solutions" to stem violence in Iraq, let's remember how and why we intervened in Iraq in 2003.

2) Journalists and media commentators should stop giving inordinate air and print time to people who were either utterly wrong in their support of the war or willful in their calculations to make war.
By and large, our Fourth Estate accepted uncritically the imperative for war described by top administration officials and congressional leaders. The media fanned the flames of war by not giving adequate coverage to the arguments against military intervention.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dennis-j-kucinich/stop-calling-the-iraq-war_b_5499375.html

kahless
06-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Unfortunately, boobus will discount anything Kucinich says as he is "the guy who sees aliens".

enhanced_deficit
06-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately, boobus will discount anything Kucinich says as he is "the guy who sees aliens".

Boobus is clearly equipped to dicern reality from fiction and Iraq invasion was indeed god's work aimed to find WMDs and spread democracy.

fisharmor
06-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Oh Dennis....
I'm just going to call him Boromir from now on.

GunnyFreedom
06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
This is just semantics, really. It's amazing progress since 2007 just to get them to admit it was a mistake. I'm not going to be upset just because people aren't calling it a war crime yet. :rolleyes:

PaulConventionWV
06-17-2014, 09:16 AM
This is just semantics, really. It's amazing progress since 2007 just to get them to admit it was a mistake. I'm not going to be upset just because people aren't calling it a war crime yet. :rolleyes:

Well, I am. I don't think calling it a mistake is "progress." I think it deflects blame where it should rightly be placed. It implies that there were no evil intentions that need to be held accountable. They're not "admitting" anything, just telling people a lie so they can go back to sleep and ignore the reality of the situation. Face it, the "mistake" argument comes to a conclusion about the whole ordeal; the wrong conclusion, but a conclusion, nonetheless. Since people think this mystery is concluded, do you really, honestly think they are going to be critical enough to start thinking that it was anything more than a "mistake" in the future? Progress implies an end that is better than where we currently are, and since this is supposed to be a conclusion in the minds of the people, I don't call it "progress" because the people think it's already been settled. In other words, the "war crimes" attribution is going nowhere if we allow ourselves to hold the sentiment that it's okay to call this a mistake.

GunnyFreedom
06-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Well, I am. I don't think calling it a mistake is "progress." I think it deflects blame where it should rightly be placed. It implies that there were no evil intentions that need to be held accountable. They're not "admitting" anything, just telling people a lie so they can go back to sleep and ignore the reality of the situation. Face it, the "mistake" argument comes to a conclusion about the whole ordeal; the wrong conclusion, but a conclusion, nonetheless. Since people think this mystery is concluded, do you really, honestly think they are going to be critical enough to start thinking that it was anything more than a "mistake" in the future? Progress implies an end that is better than where we currently are, and since this is supposed to be a conclusion in the minds of the people, I don't call it "progress" because the people think it's already been settled. In other words, the "war crimes" attribution is going nowhere if we allow ourselves to hold the sentiment that it's okay to call this a mistake.

This is politics. Unfortunately, for better or worse, politics is about perception not truth. I would rather the voters saw Iraq as a mistake than as if it were some holy mission from God.

CaptUSA
06-17-2014, 09:58 AM
I don't think it was a mistake by the leaders at the time, but it was certainly a mistake for the American public to allow it.

That is a mistake from which we should be able to learn. And not repeat. Ever.

heavenlyboy34
06-17-2014, 10:18 AM
I don't think it was a mistake by the leaders at the time, but it was certainly a mistake for the American public to allow it.

That is a mistake from which we should be able to learn. And not repeat. Ever.
It's been repeated over and over since "Mr Jefferson's War" (or earlier, depending on how you reckon it). I don't foresee it changing anytime soon. There will have to be a massive shift in how the masses and political class views war and peace.

PaulConventionWV
06-17-2014, 12:56 PM
This is politics. Unfortunately, for better or worse, politics is about perception not truth. I would rather the voters saw Iraq as a mistake than as if it were some holy mission from God.

Was it ever going to be seen as something good? They justify it by calling it a bad thing, but it's really no different than hailing it as a success. What I am telling you about IS perception. The people are perceiving this as a mistake, and they should not be. Regardless of the truth, this perception is not what we want. Calling it a holy mission from God would be unrealistic in any scenario, so the fact that they don't see it as that is hardly a step forward. It comes to a conclusion where there should be no conclusion. If we are ever going to convince the people, we want them to remain unsure about it because, otherwise, we're wasting our time.

GunnyFreedom
06-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Was it ever going to be seen as something good? They justify it by calling it a bad thing, but it's really no different than hailing it as a success. What I am telling you about IS perception. The people are perceiving this as a mistake, and they should not be. Regardless of the truth, this perception is not what we want. Calling it a holy mission from God would be unrealistic in any scenario, so the fact that they don't see it as that is hardly a step forward. It comes to a conclusion where there should be no conclusion. If we are ever going to convince the people, we want them to remain unsure about it because, otherwise, we're wasting our time.

Speaking about wasting time, good luck trying to get that superficial self-absorbed lot called 'the electorate' to admit their own culpability in doing evil.

06-17-2014, 03:48 PM
I call it what it was, a fuck up.