PDA

View Full Version : Ham radio operators have problems with marijuana grow lights:

Matt Collins
06-16-2014, 06:23 PM
http://www.arrl.org/grow-light-rfi

Tod
06-16-2014, 07:08 PM
more at Matt's link...

Grow Lights & RFI Large high-power grow lights in residential areas are on the rise. These lights are typically over 1,000 Watts and employ electronics that can act as ballast or perform some other vital function. See photos for a typical such light and ballasts. All photos are courtesy of Tom Thompson, W0IVJ.
Unfortunately these lights have proven to be a notorious source of RFI to the Amateur Radio service. Based on the distances over which the noise can propagate, and tests conducted in the ARRL Lab, these devices can exceed the FCC limits by a considerable margin. Although these tests were limited to just a few samples, one light was measured to be in excess of 30 dB over the FCC limits.
Interference from grow lights has been shown to be problematic at distances of over 1,000 feet. This is well over three times the distance one might expect from a legal Part 15 or 18 device, i.e., one that meets the applicable FCC limits. In addition, they are typically controlled by a timer, cycling on and off at precise times every 12 hours or so.
Historically most reports of RFI from grow lights have been from a limited number of states, particularly those known to have legalized or decriminalized marijuana. California and Colorado, for example, are two such states. So far, the ARRL has received more confirmed complaints from these two states than all the others combined. It must be emphasized, however, that grow lights are being used for a wide variety of indoor horticulture. For example, other uses include growing indoor vegetables and household, ornamental and exotic plants. The mere presence of a grow light is not proof that illegal activity may taking place in someone’s home.
Pertinent Federal, State, and Drug Laws
Under federal law, only the FCC can create and enforce rules regarding harmful radio interference. Furthermore, both Part 15 and 18 of the FCC’s rules unconditionally prohibit interference to a licensed radio service caused by lighting devices. This includes interference to Amateur radio caused by grow lights. As an example, this advisory letter issued by the FCC not only describes some important rules, it also demonstrates the Commission’s willingness to enforce them:
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/Grow_11_09_30_5275.html
While the FCC may not have jurisdiction in the enforcement of drug laws, an interference complaint to the FCC may result in an investigation. Grow lights can also produce a distinctive noise signature that may result in an unwelcome calling card, depending on the type of plants involved. Although marijuana may not be illegal under some state laws, it is still illegal under federal law. Should a field investigation uncover a grow light operation involving marijuana, we simply don't know what inter-agency agreements may exist between FCC and other law enforcement bodies. Many such growers might wish to cease operation of the offending device rather than risk a federal investigation of any kind.

dannno
06-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Marijuana grow lights = Same thing as street lights.

Shut the fuck up or legalize it if you have a problem.

My medicine >= Your nerdy hobby

Matt Collins
06-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Marijuana grow lights = Same thing as street lights.No not at all actually. Completely different parts of the spectrum.

Dr.3D
06-16-2014, 08:11 PM
They wouldn't need grow light if they were allowed to take advantage of sunshine.

Imagine how expensive tomatoes would be if they were only grown using grow lights.

Matt Collins
06-16-2014, 08:31 PM
They wouldn't need grow light if they were allowed to take advantage of sunshine.In Colorado? :confused:

LibForestPaul
06-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Don't get it. Every thing I read, paraphrasing label, "FCC wont cause interference"

acptulsa
06-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Marijuana grow lights = Same thing as street lights.

Shut the fuck up or legalize it if you have a problem.

My medicine >= Your nerdy hobby

The ability to communicate without using/being dependent upon/being automatically monitored and recorded by the powers that be => your desire to get high.

Constitutional Paulicy
06-16-2014, 10:58 PM
One acronym L.E.D.s. I use them to grow a coral reef in my living room. They are energy efficient. Produce less heat. Last 50 times longer than high out put metal halides. And most of all, they cant be detected from high energy consumption by those targeting this activity.

alucard13mm
06-17-2014, 01:01 AM
When I turn on my computer :p it disrupts AM radio for about 100 feet around.

oyarde
06-17-2014, 01:04 AM
When I turn on my computer :p it disrupts AM radio for about 100 feet around.

The Fax machine @ work screws up my radio .

oyarde
06-17-2014, 01:13 AM
I have used grow light in winter before to start tomatoes and bell peppers , never interfered with my radio .

Anti Federalist
06-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Looky here, another Collins thread with nothing but a link...well I know it's not about Adam Kokesh going to jail.

Let's see...

Many such growers might wish to cease operation of the offending device rather than risk a federal investigation of any kind.

Good advice...I can't speak for all of course, but most "hams" I've run across over the years have been "by the book" and "report them" types.

If they can pin down where the interference is coming from, count on visit from the FedCoats...which these days mean they'll probably bring a SWAT team.

Dr.3D
06-17-2014, 09:34 AM
In Colorado? :confused:
Yeah, in Colorado. From what I've been told, they still can't grow outdoors.

oyarde
06-17-2014, 09:46 AM
Looky here, another Collins thread with nothing but a link...well I know it's not about Adam Kokesh going to jail.

Let's see...

Good advice...I can't speak for all of course, but most "hams" I've run across over the years have been "by the book" and "report them" types.

If they can pin down where the interference is coming from, count on visit from the FedCoats...which these days mean they'll probably bring a SWAT team.
I would guess you are correct about that .

Dr.3D
06-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Let's see...

Well, from what I've come to understand, many have the silly idea that Amateur Radio is some sort of emergency communications service.

I'm an Amateur Extra and I look at the hobby as being the same as a snowmobile club. The snowmobiles become emergency vehicles only when they are used as such. That would be the same with Ham radio and emergency communications happens only as necessary and only on the amateur bands.

Some Hams for some reason turn out to be whackers. You can usually spot them by the light bars on their vehicles and their wearing clothing to make them look like they are some sort of government official.

I'm still trying to figure out what frequencies those grow lights are supposed to be causing trouble with. When I started my tomatoes, my grow lights didn't bother my Ham radio communications in the least.

oyarde
06-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Well, from what I've come to understand, many have the silly idea that Amateur Radio is some sort of emergency communications service.

I'm an Amateur Extra and I look at the hobby as being the same as a snowmobile club. The snowmobiles become emergency vehicles only when they are used as such. That would be the same with Ham radio and emergency communications happens only as necessary and only on the amateur bands.

Some Hams for some reason turn out to be whackers. You can usually spot them by the light bars on their vehicles and their wearing clothing to make them look like they are some sort of government official.

I'm still trying to figure out what frequencies those grow lights are supposed to be causing trouble with. When I started my tomatoes, my grow lights didn't bother my Ham radio communications in the least.

Yeah , I am not even sure that this is real .