PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Minnesota, another company relocating.

Danke
06-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Markets More: Mergers And Acquisitions
US-Based Medtronic Is Buying Covidien And Moving To Ireland In A $43 Billion Mega-Deal

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/medtronic-to-buy-covidien-in-43-billion-deal-2014-6#ixzz34poWhOcm

Medtronic Joins List of Minnesota Companies Relocating Headquarters
Medtronic has announced their intention to acquire a company as a way to move their headquarters from Minneapolis to tax-friendly Ireland to save the company billions of dollars.

"This is not good news, and every Minnesotan should be concerned with this announcement," said Chairman Keith Downey of the Republican Party of Minnesota. "They have of course stated their commitment to keep and grow their Minnesota operations, but like Nash Finch and others before them, in these deals it is usually just a matter of time before the operations shrink too."

While Medtronic CEO Omar Ishrak was careful not to pin the decision on any one tax or regulation, it is hard to miss the timing of their move considering the imposition of Obamacare's medical device tax as well as state policies making it more difficult for companies to do business in Minnesota.

From Bloomberg:
"Companies are so keen to escape the U.S. system because of the combination of a high tax rate -- 35 percent, the highest among developed nations -- and the practice of taxing the earnings of U.S. companies’ foreign subsidiaries when the money is transferred back to the U.S. Many other nations, such as the United Kingdom, tax only domestic profits."

From the Star Tribune:
"...the deal would allow it to better use profits made overseas. Medtronic has managed its tax expense in the past by leaving abroad the profits earned by its non-U.S. subsidiaries."

Governor Dayton and the Democrats have sent a strong signal that Minnesota intends to grow government, raise taxes and unionize entire industries. That message now directly coincides with another of Minnesota's largest and most prestigious Fortune 500 companies' decision to move their headquarters out of the country.

bunklocoempire
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Uff-da.

"They have of course stated their commitment to keep and grow their Minnesota operations, but like Nash Finch and others before them, in these deals it is usually just a matter of time before the operations shrink too."

Color them gone.

Here's the MN (any) statist's next talking point on this matter:

"We have a global economy and technology is leaping forward, it is imperative that we educate our children to compete in this changing world and keep hi-tech jobs in this state, without education we are sure to fall further behind"

Danke
06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Medtronic HQ is close to my hangar, so less traffic for me.

asurfaholic
06-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Medtronic HQ is close to my hangar, so less traffic for me.

big businesses in my area mean more business all around. Hope your job doesn't depend on those shuttling around on Medtronic business...

Danke
06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
big businesses in my area mean more business all around. Hope your job doesn't depend on those shuttling around on Medtronic business...

It doesn't. If government would just leave, I could have a well again.

TN_VOL
06-16-2014, 05:51 PM
It doesn't. If government would just leave, I could have a well again.

Poor you. Years ago a salesman came to our house wanting to sell us a water filtration device but first he wanted to check how pure our water was. After testing he said we didn't need a filter because our water was the purest water he had ever tested. Everyone that visits say our water is some of the best they ever tasted. In have some of my family, who are on city water, bring empty jugs to fill up with our water, when they come to visit, because theirs tastes so bad. Well water ...you can't beat it.