PDA

View Full Version : Mike Rogers Says Google Is Unpatriotic For Not Wanting NSA To Spy On Its Users

DamianTV
06-16-2014, 03:47 AM
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140613/07480127565/mike-rogers-says-google-is-unpatriotic-not-wanting-nsa-to-spy-its-users.shtml

This past Wednesday, the CIA held its first ever Conference on National Security at Georgetown University. It included plenty of the usual talking heads spouting nonsense, but I wanted to focus in on one particular talking head spouting particularly ridiculous nonsense. It's our old friend, Rep. Mike Rogers, who is retiring from Congress to try to become an even bigger blowhard on talk radio (as if that's possible). Apparently, Rogers is using this conference to practice the classical blowhard strategy of making a variety of absolutely ridiculous claims that directly contradict each other.

So, for example, he kicked it off by attacking Silicon Valley tech companies for fighting back against NSA surveillance, and for arguing (accurately) that the NSA's efforts have created a major business problem for them around the globe, as people outside the US no longer trust them. In Rogers' mind, that means these companies are putting "European profits above national security." This isn't even close to true, but that's what Rogers is claiming (at about 2 hours 10 minutes into the video, which is also embedded below):

(Continues on link)

A: Google wants to Spy on you because its profitable. Make no mistake, they have zero intent of protecting your privacy. You are what they sell.

B: Fuck you Mike Rogers. Let us put a camera on you 24/7 and see how you like it.

Ronin Truth
06-16-2014, 08:46 AM
I Say Mike Rogers Is Unpatriotic For Wanting NSA To Spy On Americans.

asurfaholic
06-16-2014, 09:49 AM
I wonder if google is feeling the squeeze as people switch search engines to duckduckgo.com and others.

I don't think google cares, but when it loose enough revenue and you will see them trying to sell themselves as against the spying.

DamianTV
06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
I Say Mike Rogers Is Unpatriotic For Wanting NSA To Spy On Americans.

... but but but he's wrapped himself in an American Flag and carrying a Bible, he must be a Patriot! Not sure about the Borg implants all over his face.

---

I wonder if google is feeling the squeeze as people switch search engines to duckduckgo.com and others.

I don't think google cares, but when it loose enough revenue and you will see them trying to sell themselves as against the spying.

Actually, I doubt it. Google Ads are their main source of revenue, which dont always require a person to use Google as their search engine, just that Google Ads are served by many many sites that just show Google Ads as a way to make money. Not using Google as a search engine unfortunately still allows Google to track every website that a person visits and probably doesnt hurt their revenue in the least.