PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul needs to say HOW he will get rid of the IRS

TheNewYorker
12-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I noticed mostly all of the people I have talked to about Ron Paul will not support him because of his views with ending the IRS. It's not because they don't want the IRS to end, it's because they say Ron Paul is all talk, and has presented no plan on how he would go about doing it.

I think they raise a good point. In almost all the debates, or interviews I have seen, Ron Paul says he would end the IRS, but never says how. He has no plan.

I think it's essential for Paul to come up with a plan, or if he has one already, state it and how it would work, for we can swing some of the undecideds who are hot on this issue to our side.

F3d
12-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Flash
12-01-2007, 01:09 PM
He doesn't get much time to talk on those debates. I'm sure he would say the plan if he had more time.

maxmerkel
12-01-2007, 01:10 PM
getting all troops home, cutting spending for various agencies, and gradually decreasing the income tax to 0 ????

mconder
12-01-2007, 01:10 PM
The problem is he needs to say more than that. Huckabee is saying this now. The difference is Huckabee will replace it with another form of tax with the same or greater burden. I like the Ron Paul like, "I want to get rid of the IRS and replace it with nothing." It would be good for Ron Paul to use this line in conjunction with a good explanation of his plan to accomplish it.

F3d
12-01-2007, 01:11 PM

VIDEODROME
12-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Basically he plans to cut spending big time which will allow a smaller government to function without the income tax.

The obvious cut back being the war and all the bases we have setup up around the world.

I do agree though some specifics would be nice. Like whether or not businesses will still be taxed.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:16 PM
How to get rid of the IRS...

Hmm, the first thing that comes to my mind is the gallows. But that's just me.
RP may have other plans. <grin>

Steve4RP
He just needs to continue explaining as he has already. If the federal government cut back spending to the level it was 10 years ago we would not need an income tax as the tax accounts for 40% of fed income...is how I believe he explained it. He admits that it would have to be a gradual elimination, but could easy be done in cutting out things such as out nation building and other non-constitutional government entities.

Teenforpaul08
Dr. Paul has stated that he, alone, cannot get rid of the IRS. "America has to rethink about the way the role of government ought to be." Before that happens, not much can get done. He has also said that he would be a transition period. He needs a lot of help from you and me. But, he is HOPE!

ronpaulfan
12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
It is easy. He'll push for lower income taxes until it is Zero.

ronpaulfan
12-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Direct all Mike Huckabee "No more IRS!" people to this video

"Ending the IRS: Mike Huckabee vs. Ron Paul"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS3BxggBTa8

JustBcuz
12-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Something that has worked for me (or at least gotten some people to think twice)

Remember, the Income tax is only ONE THIRD of Federal revenue. You can save that much money just by bringing the troops home from 130 different nations, and that's before you start slashing worthless Federal programs.

ThePieSwindler
12-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I noticed mostly all of the people I have talked to about Ron Paul will not support him because of his views with ending the IRS. It's not because they don't want the IRS to end, it's because they say Ron Paul is all talk, and has presented no plan on how he would go about doing it.

I think they raise a good point. In almost all the debates, or interviews I have seen, Ron Paul says he would end the IRS, but never says how. He has no plan.

I think it's essential for Paul to come up with a plan, or if he has one already, state it and how it would work, for we can swing some of the undecideds who are hot on this issue to our side.

You seem to step into this fallacy that Ron Paul can "do" something about it. The thing is, Ron Paul is not be a "powerful" president, he will probably be seen as a rather "weak" one, simply because he actually respects the constitution. So obviously, he would want to work toward a repeal of the 16th which would thus eliminate the IRS' purpose. Of course, he cant just do this on his own - hes "just" the president! He would need to talk with congress and the American people to build support for the idea. Hes said this, and said that its really call he can do because he is not going to abuse executive power.

blackmouth
12-01-2007, 01:46 PM
3:05 into the Jay Leno Interview

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B0KwY9Uzqtk

He explains it pretty well there.

Unspun
12-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Remember, the Income tax is only ONE THIRD of Federal revenue. You can save that much money just by bringing the troops home from 130 different nations, and that's before you start slashing worthless Federal programs.

Precisely, in the CNN debate (and many other times) you will see him mentioning this and that if we cut our budget to what it was in 2001 we wouldn't even need an income tax. So it's not up to him on how to do it, it's completely up to us. Do we want to continue this ideological war? Do we want to continue the welfare state? Or continue to lessen the value of our money by inflating it and spending beyond our means? If we cut or drastically reform these policies we can see the complete dissolve of the IRS.

derekjohnson
12-01-2007, 02:29 PM
You guys keep saying he'll replace it with nothing when that's not exactly true. He wants the states to decide.

Exactly. If the IRS is eliminated, and states were set up to handle education, roads, energy, welfare, etc, you would likely see states implement property taxes and sales taxes to cover those costs. You will see an increase in those taxes, but no nearly equal to that of federal income tax, because the states would be more efficient and able eliminate a level of bureaucracy and waste. It would also allow one's taxes to be spent in their own back yard, rather than building bridges in Alaska for Senator Stevens. This is the message that needs to be delivered more clearly. He can't just say I want to eliminate the IRS...that seems like an empty promise without support.

dude58677
12-01-2007, 03:39 PM

I agree he hasn't said anything about pardoning tax evaders or laying off IRS employees. He needs to get into the technical ways of getting rid of the IRS.

Corydoras
12-01-2007, 09:21 PM

Are you talking to people who are so well informed about RP that they bring this up themselves, or are you telling them he's going to end the IRS as if he's going to be a dictator?

I generally think it's probably better to emphasize how he will (1) cut down the government enough to (2) be able to reduce taxes. In that order. And use the word "reduce."

Phoenix Revolution
12-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Nice thread of seeking information about getting rid of the IRS.

max
12-01-2007, 10:30 PM
killing the IRS still would leave the Feds with about 1.3 trillion in annual revenue....enough to cover legitimate government functions...tithe people over...AND pay down the national debt...ALL while getting rid of income taxes...

bring troops home...save aboyt 600 billion yearly
implement the Grace Commission recomendations on waste ...save 500 billion

get rid of education...energy..homeland security etc.....100's billions more

Corydoras
12-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Did you see the Business Week article?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=45191