PDA

View Full Version : For cops, punching a hippie is like winning the lottery. The $120,000 a year for the rest of y

Carson
06-14-2014, 10:58 AM
A NYPD cop caught in a violent confrontation with an Occupy Wall Street protester has been granted a tax-free disability pension for injuries suffered during the confrontation, the Daily News has learned.

Fark headline;

For cops, punching a hippie is like winning the lottery. The $120,000 a year for the rest of your life lottery

Story;

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/punched-ows-protester-tax-free-disability-pension-article-1.1828434

Comments;

http://www.fark.com/comments/8298959/For-cops-punching-a-hippie-is-like-winning-lottery-The-$120000-a-year-for-rest-of-your-life-lottery

Suzanimal
06-14-2014, 12:05 PM
So no one was charged in the altercation but the hippie won a settlement? :mad:

A NYPD cop caught in a violent confrontation with an Occupy Wall Street protester has been granted a tax-free disability pension for injuries suffered during the confrontation, the Daily News has learned.

Video captured Deputy Inspector Johnny Cardona, punching Felix Rivera-Pitre during a demonstration in the Financial District on Oct. 14, 2011.

The NYPD said Rivera-Pitre, then 37, was the instigator and tried to elbow Cardona.

Roy Richter, head of the Captains Endowment Association, said other video shows Cardona caught in a headlock and that Cardona was trampled and hurt so badly he suffered back injuries and needed hip replacement surgery and operations on both knees.

This week, sources said, the NYPD pension board granted Cardona, 50, a three-quarters tax free disability pension — roughly $120,000 a year.

Neither Rivera-Pitre, nor Cardona, were charged in the incident, but Rivera-Pitre, an artist, filed a lawsuit and settled for $55,000.

Ron Kuby, his lawyer, was incredulous to learn about Cardona’s pension.

“What’s his disability?” Kuby asked. “He hurt his fist when he punched Occupy Wall Street protesters? If he went out on a psychological disability that would have been appropriate.

“At least he’s off the force.”

Rivera-Pitre, living in a commune in Tennessee, could not be reached for comment.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/punched-ows-protester-tax-free-disability-pension-article-1.1828434#ixzz34dbrNoTC

Ender
06-14-2014, 12:12 PM
So no one was charged in the altercation but the hippie won a settlement? :mad:

The hippie won nothing- the cop got a boo-boo award for hurting his widdle self in the confrontation.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
where do I sign up to get 120k a year for disability? Which/how many limbs do I need to break?

SeanTX
06-14-2014, 02:06 PM
where do I sign up to get 120k a year for disability? Which/how many limbs do I need to break?

You don't even have to break or injure a limb. There's a cop in NJ who has been collecting disability for years because he injured his "trigger" finger. He was recently seen at a gun range, firing away with the "disabled" trigger finger.

Carson
06-14-2014, 02:38 PM
so true.

I remember hearing something about a high percentage of officers getting disability plus retirement of some sort.

Oh. Here it is.

Quote;

“Even the California Highway Patrol - at the highest levels - is not spared from fraud allegations. ABC News reported "possible abuse ... specifically among its highest ranking officers. Most startling of all, 80 percent of assistant chiefs retired on disability - almost as many deputy chiefs ... 68 percent of assistant CHP commissioners were disabled when they retired. Investigators found that the CHP had the highest rate of disability retirements in state government."

http://hernandotoday.com/news/hernando-sports/2009/feb/13/ha-our-culture-of-corruption-ar-281582/

And another;

Fark headline:

Thousands of police officers and firemen in Los Angeles are taking advantage of a program that allows them to collect full retirement pay while still working, netting on average $200k extra

Story in the paper:

http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/03/03/24627/little-known-la-policefire-retirement-plan-lets-of/

Fark comments:

http://www.fark.com/comments/6009715/Thousands-of-police-officers-firemen-in-Los-Angeles-are-taking-advantage-of-a-program-that-allows-them-to-collect-full-retirement-pay-while-still-working-netting-on-average-$200k-extra

dannno
06-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Worth every penny.

At least he's off the force. -Ron Kuby

mwkaufman
06-14-2014, 02:52 PM
The hippie won nothing- the cop got a boo-boo award for hurting his widdle self in the confrontation.

The hippie sued and got $55,000 presumably since the officer assaulted him. The officer needed at least three surgeries after the confrontation. Giving him his pension is a win for the officer who risked them wanting to rehab and come back to the force or getting fired with cause, and a win for the force avoiding a messy fight with an injured officer where they'd have to prove one of their own went way over the line assaulting a hippie.

Obviously a loss for the taxpayer.

bunklocoempire
06-14-2014, 05:19 PM

Well first you have to start with your conscience. Get that out of the way first and you'll soon be on the road to great things.

Ender
06-14-2014, 07:32 PM
The hippie sued and got $55,000 presumably since the officer assaulted him. The officer needed at least three surgeries after the confrontation. Giving him his pension is a win for the officer who risked them wanting to rehab and come back to the force or getting fired with cause, and a win for the force avoiding a messy fight with an injured officer where they'd have to prove one of their own went way over the line assaulting a hippie.

Obviously a loss for the taxpayer.

The hippie "settled'- he didn't "win".

Difference.

presence
07-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Am I reading this right?

No charges for the cop. No charges for the protester.

Protester gets one time $55,000 - 30% tax for getting his face pummeled.

Cop gets $120,000 tax free annually for life for breaking his hand while pummeling?

You're shitting me. This is beyond ridiculous.

RM918
07-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Actually it's even better than winning the lottery because you still have to pay taxes on that.

heavenlyboy34
07-04-2014, 01:28 PM
/speechless :eek:

LibForestPaul
07-04-2014, 03:01 PM
3/4 tax free , so he was making 160k a year?

PRB
07-04-2014, 03:10 PM
just don't post pictures on facebook showing how much fun you're having with your lottery money.

PRB
07-04-2014, 03:11 PM
3/4 tax free , so he was making 160k a year?

that's good money for beating and shooting people