PDA

View Full Version : YAL warns against working with "Turning Point USA"

Matt Collins
06-14-2014, 08:18 AM
From an e-mail just sent out:

I want to make you aware of a very serious matter that recently impacted YAL and our members.

You may be aware of a new, fledgling group called Turning Point USA. In fact, they may have emailed you recently without your consent.

This occurred because they unlawfully obtained YAL's members list and proceeded to solicit all of our members. Firstly, I'd like to apologize that this happened. We take privacy very seriously at YAL, and we've improved our safeguards to prevent this from ever happening again.

But more importantly, I want to strongly caution you and all YAL chapters against working with Turning Point USA.

Normally, I wouldn't be so direct about avoiding a specific organization. In fact, I am enormous advocate for cooperation and partnering with all like-minded organizations. We have excellent relationships with groups like Students for Liberty, the Leadership Institute, Campaign for Liberty, and many others.

But this recent action by Turning Point USA crossed the line. I was willing to accept the fact that their language, strategy, and programs often attempt to copy YAL activities. I was even willing to accept the fact that their staff has never reached out to our staff to introduce themselves and try to work together.

But unlawfully obtaining and using YAL's private membership list for their own purposes just went too far and shouldn't go unaddressed.

Fortunately, I had our attorneys contact them directly with a cease and desist letter. To which, they claimed they removed all your private data from their records. So your data should be secure once again.

But, personally, I've had enough. And after consulting with our staff and a few Leadership Team members, we decided that it is not in YAL's best interest to partner with Turning Point USA. And I strongly encourage you to avoid their solicitations.

I'm sorry I had to send this. This is not the type of decision I like to make. But hopefully we can move forward from here, and this will have little to no impact on you or your chapter.

Please feel free to contact me directly by replying to this email with any questions.

For liberty,

Jeff Frazee
Executive Director
Young Americans for Liberty
www.YALiberty.com (http://yaliberty.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f1340031d3e25504f5712bcb1&id=4e54f350bf&e=9edca4a7b8)
Facebook.com/YALiberty (http://yaliberty.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=f1340031d3e25504f5712bcb1&id=f48ac79158&e=9edca4a7b8)

A Son of Liberty
06-14-2014, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHitXxH-us

devil21
06-14-2014, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't advocate to not support an organization of fellow travelers just because someone turned over a mailing list to them. Seems petty and counter-productive to the movement as a whole.

eta: That's not an endorsement of either group. Always do your homework before donating to anyone. Just seems petty as long as we're all working for the same goals.

CPUd
06-14-2014, 06:33 PM
LOL all your list are now belong to us.

Badger Paul
06-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Sounds like somebody from Team Mitt sold one of your lists. Come on Collins, you fellas should be happy at such private enterprise.

Krzysztof Lesiak
06-15-2014, 02:23 PM
TPUSA is an excellant organization. I live a few miles away from founder Charlie Kirk and I know him personally. He is a man of integrity and is doing great work. I plan on starting a TPUSA chapter at Harper College in the fall, which incidentally won the award for the best YAL chapter in 2013.

Who gives a shit about a fucking email list.

Matt Collins
06-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Who gives a shit about a fucking email list.Professionals do. Why don't you ask him how / why he attained the YAL list?

idiom
06-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Wait.... so they are on exactly the same page as YAL, in fact photocopying YAL's page... but definitely not people to associate with?

Should I also not associate with YAL? Are they creepy too? Should I stop using YAL's material?

mad cow
06-15-2014, 05:57 PM
TPUSA is an excellant organization. I live a few miles away from founder Charlie Kirk and I know him personally. He is a man of integrity and is doing great work. I plan on starting a TPUSA chapter at Harper College in the fall, which incidentally won the award for the best YAL chapter in 2013.

Who gives a shit about a fucking email list.

I do.I support YAL and would no doubt support TPUSA but I don't like orgs giving other orgs my email addy.

I donated $50 to the child who was flashed-banged through somebody called Change dot org.That was the org accepting money for the cause I supported.That was the first,last and only time I dealt with Change dot org.

Shortly thereafter,I got this email from Change dot org from this mercy for animals group.I don't support this.

By Mercy For Animals
West Hollywood, California

Sign Nathan's Petition

From the day they hatch until they are violently killed, the lives of Butterball turkeys are filled with misery and deprivation.
How do I know? Because I worked undercover at a Butterball turkey hatchery in North Carolina on behalf of Mercy For Animals — a national animal protection charity. At Butterball, I used a hidden camera to document horrors that few people could even imagine, including:
• Baby birds being callously tossed into a macerating machine to be ground up alive
• Workers roughly throwing and dropping newborn animals with no regard for their welfare
• Newly hatched birds regularly getting stuck in and mangled by factory machinery
• Turkeys having their sensitive toes and beaks cut or burned off without any painkillers
Unfortunately, these abuses are merely a sample of the ongoing cruelty and violence that turkeys are forced to endure at Butterball. Previous investigations by Mercy For Animals have exposed Butterball workers violently kicking and throwing turkeys, and bashing in their heads with metal pipes. One such investigation led to a raid of the Butterball factory farm by law enforcement and resulted in multiple criminal cruelty to animals convictions of Butterball workers, including the first-ever felony cruelty conviction related to factory-farmed poultry in U.S. history.
On top of all of this horrific violence, Butterball's turkeys endure selective breeding to grow so large, so quickly, that many of them suffer from painful bone defects, hip joint lesions, crippling foot and leg deformities, and fatal heart attacks.
This has got to stop.
Please join me, and Mercy For Animals, in calling on Butterball to end some of the cruelest factory farming practices.
Thank you.
Lidia

I have donated to a lot of politicians and have then gotten emails from other pols and groups that I wouldn't support if you paid me.
Somebody sold or gave away my email.I don't like it.

dannno
06-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Why don't you ask him how / why he attained the YAL list?

I dunno, but however they did it, it probably isn't as bad as some of the stuff Rand is doing to get elected.

Of course either one is fine with me as long as we get more liberty. Like I would even care if somebody "cheats in politics" if the end result means the mob gets off people's backs.

devil21
06-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Does Saber/Rothfeld control the fundraising for YAL?

kathy88
06-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Does Saber/Rothfeld control the fundraising for YAL?
Good question. If not I will look into them.