PDA

View Full Version : The U.S. spent $3 million on boats for landlocked Afghanistan

Suzanimal
06-13-2014, 01:50 PM
SMH...Afghanistan's a money pit, it's way past time to GTFO.

The United States spent more than $3 million on eight patrol boats for the Afghan police, according to an internal audit released Thursday.

That sentence is surprising for a few reasons:

1. Afghanistan is landlocked.
2. Not a single boat has arrived in Afghanistan, even though the purchase was made in 2010.
3. That works out to be more than $375,000 per boat. Similar boats in the United States are typically sold for about $50,000.

According to the report from the U.S. Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), the boats were meant to be used to patrol the Amu Darya River running between Afghanistan and Uzbekistan. They were bought to move government supplies and “to deter smuggling and illegal entry into Afghanistan,” according to Gen. Harold Greene.

But nine months after the boats were purchased, U.S. and NATO forces decided that the boats wouldn’t be necessary after all. By then, though, it was too late. The U.S. government had already spent $3 million on the boats. Nearly four years later, they are still sitting in storage at a Virginia naval base.

It remains a mystery why the boats were deemed unnecessary so soon after they were bought.

“The list of unanswered questions is particularly troubling given the fact…that this program had been an important national security priority for the Afghan National Security Forces prior to its cancellation,” John Sopko, the inspector general, said in a letter to U.S. military officials.

Millions in U.S. government funds have been misspent in Afghanistan, as the inspector general has noted in a slew of reports over the past year. There was the $34 million military headquarters that sat empty as soon as it was completed — no longer needed because Marines had departed the area. There was the $80 million consulate deemed too unsafe to use after it was finished.

But the boats seem a particularly odd expense. Afghan security forces continue to struggle to maintain basic military equipment and locate spare parts. It’s unclear how they would have managed to fix broken boats. The nearest port is about a thousand miles away, in Pakistan.

Perhaps even more bizarrely, the United States had provided boats to Uzbekistan to patrol the same river years earlier.

According to a WikiLeaks cable, Uzbekistan had acquired 19 boats from the United States in 2004 to secure the Amu Darya River. Four years later, a State Department official wrote to U.S. Central Command that some of the boats had broken and asking whether the military could send over two more, along with two additional motors.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/06/12/the-u-s-spent-3-million-on-boats-for-landlocked-afghanistan/?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email

Zippyjuan
06-13-2014, 04:06 PM
It does say they were intended for rivers, not the ocean.

1. Afghanistan is landlocked.

, the boats were meant to be used to patrol the Amu Darya River running between Afghanistan and Uzbekistan.

oyarde
06-14-2014, 12:16 AM

No marine motor mechanics, no parts.Sounds crazy to me.I will give them $100 for one of those boats :)

Spikender
06-14-2014, 12:20 AM

Indeed, so six times market price for these boats seems fair enough. Especially since they never arrived.

It seems to me that if you drill down into each and every expense that the federal Government makes, there is corruption and money being siphoned somewhere. I don't think there is a fictional dystopian Government in any work of fiction that can properly convey just how deeply corrupt our current Government is in all facets and at all levels.

Anti Federalist
06-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Indeed, so six times market price for these boats seems fair enough. Especially since they never arrived.

It seems to me that if you drill down into each and every expense that the federal Government makes, there is corruption and money being siphoned somewhere. I don't think there is a fictional dystopian Government in any work of fiction that can properly convey just how deeply corrupt our current Government is in all facets and at all levels.

Perhaps even more bizarrely, the United States had provided boats to Uzbekistan to patrol the same river years earlier.

Meh, don't worry, they'll pass 'em out under the 1033 provision and they'll up being put to use by some clam cops here in the US.

So that you see more of this keeping you safe while trying to relax on your boat.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IhVbLUIc4-4/T4LnpPSxE6I/AAAAAAAABN0/zgwCzZw-QoQ/s1600/Hwy-Patrol-Boat+(1).jpg

Spikender
06-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Meh, don't worry, they'll pass 'em out under the 1033 provision and they'll up being put to use by some clam cops here in the US.

So that you see more of this keeping you safe while trying to relax on your boat.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IhVbLUIc4-4/T4LnpPSxE6I/AAAAAAAABN0/zgwCzZw-QoQ/s1600/Hwy-Patrol-Boat+(1).jpg

I feel safer already.

Seems like everywhere I turn there's someone with a costume and a gun. Waiting at the corner. Waiting in a lot. Waiting on an emergency turn off on the Interstate. Waiting on the river. Waiting in the mall. Waiting in the school. Waiting in the sky.

At this rate, I'm going to wake up and we're all going to have our own personal officer patrolling our lawns making sure nothing is amiss. Hopefully more money, boats, and equipment will "appear" in the hands of our local law enforcement. Better it's used on American soil than elsewhere, right? All-American.

Anti Federalist
06-14-2014, 12:55 AM
I feel safer already.

Seems like everywhere I turn there's someone with a costume and a gun. Waiting at the corner. Waiting in a lot. Waiting on an emergency turn off on the Interstate. Waiting on the river. Waiting in the mall. Waiting in the school. Waiting in the sky.

At this rate, I'm going to wake up and we're all going to have our own personal officer patrolling our lawns making sure nothing is amiss. Hopefully more money, boats, and equipment will "appear" in the hands of our local law enforcement. Better it's used on American soil than elsewhere, right? All-American.

Got pulled over just a little while ago, dropping off mail so it would get out in the morning, for "not dimming my high beams fast enough".

'Murica.

Spikender
06-14-2014, 01:01 AM
Got pulled over just a little while ago, dropping off mail so it would get out in the morning, for "not dimming my high beams fast enough".

'Murica.

Anyone who thinks that the police were created to deal with criminals in any way, shape, or form is deluding himself. They're here for us, not to handle criminals. The police have never been about crime prevention, only about code enforcement.

And you have been enforced, motherfucker.

And I'm proud to be an American, we're at least I know I'm free...

Anti Federalist
06-14-2014, 01:06 AM
Anyone who thinks that the police were created to deal with criminals in any way, shape, or form is deluding himself. They're here for us, not to handle criminals. The police have never been about crime prevention, only about code enforcement.

And you have been enforced, motherfucker.

And I'm proud to be an American, we're at least I know I'm free...

Updated:

Relax at the beach? Beach cops.
Hike a hill? Park cops.
Waste time online? Internet cops.
Take a drive? Highway cops.
Fly off for vacation? Airport cops.
Do some fishing? Clam cops.
Cruise your boat? Marine cops.
Like to hunt? Game cops.
Take in some target shooting? Gun cops.
Do some home improvements? Code cops.
Maybe work at your business? Regulation cops.
Clean the house? Recycling cops.
Get out of the country? Border cops.
Try to blow your brains out at the insanity of it all and fail? Hospital cops.

Spikender
06-14-2014, 01:12 AM
Great list.

Don't forget School Cops though. Those poor fellas, always so under-appreciated...

alucard13mm
06-14-2014, 02:28 AM
Great list.

Don't forget School Cops though. Those poor fellas, always so under-appreciated...

Holy mother of god... pony :p... hahaha. broof high five.

Spikender
06-14-2014, 02:34 AM
Holy mother of god... pony :p... hahaha. broof high five.

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.12440302.6493/sticker,375x360.u2.png

Spikender
06-14-2014, 02:35 AM
Stupid double posting...

oyarde
06-14-2014, 12:02 PM

'Murica.

I got that once , about 6 yrs ago pulling out of a place I was sent for work . Fri night , after midnight , empty parking lot for a warehouse in a commercial district. I figured it was bull and he was just taking a look see , never even looked at my license or registration , big snow storm brewing .Only people on the road were he and I . Mine were on and I did not dim them . I had left them on when I had shut it off , evidently from the night before, but I had just pulled out of the lot onto the road .