PDA

View Full Version : Black Man Car Seized for Being "Illegal Cab" was driving wife to work.

Mani
06-13-2014, 01:44 AM
Is there not enough crime in NYC that they need investigators and resources to sniff out people moonlighting as cab drivers? Worse yet....Dude driving his wife to work!?!?!

Please tell me the Taxi and Limousine Commission have a SWAT team. That would just make my day.

So this is how a monopoly works? If anyone dares to pay cash for getting a ride the TLC will spy on them and seize their car and send them to court???

So when I carpooled with a friend a few times and I gave him 30 bucks in gas did I just commit a crime?

As a side note:
My cousin in Singapore uses an app that allows people to hook up with drivers. So if you sign up as a driver, and you get notified someone on your way home from work is in need of a ride, you can flag that you will do it, and you can take them home. The driver gets a credit in the app and the ride gets some funds deducted. And they rate drivers and give feedback. He said it's pissing off the cab drivers there but he says when it's busy the cab lines can be 20-30 minutes long. He said it's taking off like crazy in other cities and some cab agencies are freaking out.

Glad to see NYC has a plan in place for this kind of stuff. Just investigate, spy, and snatch cars away from people and let the courts find out they are guilty later.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/black-mans-car-siezed-illegal-cab-driving-wife-work/

John Vibes
June 12, 2014

Married couple Dan Keys Jr., 66, and Symone Palermo, 53 were recently investigated by a New York City government agency because Dan was under suspicion of running an illegal cab service.

The agency had no good reason to assume that Dan was running a cab service, but because he, a black man, was seen on multiple occasions driving around with his wife, a biracial woman who appeared white, the agency felt that it would be appropriate to open up an investigation and follow Dan throughout his day to day activities.

If this violation of privacy is not bad enough, their Lincoln Town Car was seized and held in the impound for over 8 days. The couple immediately attempted to get their car out of the impound lot and explain the misunderstanding, but when they did they both received a summons to appear in court.

Now the couple is filing a racial discrimination lawsuit which states that minorities are specifically targeted in a citywide program to crack down on cab services that haven’t paid to join the local government protection racket.

“Upon information and belief, when attempting to identify illegally operated taxis, it is the official policy or custom of the city to instruct its employees to target and single out vehicles operated by minorities with white passengers,” the lawsuit states.

“We think there was no basis for the TLC to have pulled over my clients in the first instance,” the couple’s lawyer, David Haber, told DNAinfo New York.

“Once they pulled over my clients, they had many opportunities to let them go and to realize they pulled over the wrong people. Instead they doubled down on their mistake. I believe that they flat-out lied in their summonses.” David added.

The government agency in question is Taxi & Limousine Commission, a regulatory agency that helps to monopolize the cab industry and stomp out competition for dominant corporations. This is a perfect example of “regulatory capture”, the process by which government mandated regulatory agencies eventually come to be dominated by the very industries they were charged with regulating.

Regulatory capture happens when a regulatory agency, supposedly formed to act in the public’s interest, eventually acts in ways that benefit the industry it is supposed to be regulating, rather than the public. This is one of the many ways that governments and corporations have been working together to stifle market competition and maintain monopolies since the guild systems that existed in the age of mercantilism.

He's suing for racism. Black guy, giving white woman or what looks to be a white woman...a ride...MUST be an illegal cab...

http://gothamist.com/2014/06/11/black_man_claims_racist_taxi_inspec.php

kcchiefs6465
06-13-2014, 01:53 AM
Upwards of a million dollars for a medallion; yes, they will not let people pay you to give them a ride.

dannno
06-13-2014, 03:03 AM
Ya checkout Lyft and Uber.

http://www.independent.com/news/2014/jun/02/cabbies-take-uber-drivers-task/

Cabbies Take Uber Drivers to Task

Taxi Companies Protest Outside City Hall on Friday
Monday, June 2, 2014
By Kelsey Brugger

Disgruntled taxi drivers gathered outside City Hall last Friday afternoon to argue companies like Uber and Lyft are violating Santa Barbara law. Congregating on the sidewalk and holding signs above their heads, several cabbies contended the drivers hailed by taxi apps get an unfair advantage because they are not bound by the same regulations that the 68 taxi companies here must adhere to. Murmurs from frustrated taxi drivers have circulated since Uber landed in town last fall — Lyft launched a couple of months ago — but Friday marked the first coordinated protest, as cab drivers claimed their revenue has since dropped by 60 percent.

One of Lois Capps (D) employees went to a function that served alcohol several months ago, he got hammered and killed a off duty bartender who was walking with her friends across the street. He got 20 years.

I've been saying, hey, if everybody is so worried about drunk driving, why have these horrible regulations where all the cabs are nearly twice as expensive here as many other towns?? If you're going to tax something related to alcohol, at least tax the alcohol and not drunk people's alternative safe ride home!!

Spikender
06-13-2014, 03:05 AM
Ya checkout Lyft and Uber.

http://www.independent.com/news/2014/jun/02/cabbies-take-uber-drivers-task/

Real solution: stop the bullshit and let me be a fucking freelance cabby if I want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS1A8t34Cg0

dannno
06-13-2014, 03:16 AM
Real solution: stop the bullshit and let me be a fucking freelance cabby if I want to.

I suppose so, but Uber and Lyft make it so much easier to be a freelance taxi. That guy would probably sign up for it if it is in his town, if he hasn't already. The drivers use their own cars and go online whenever they want, no schedules.

For Uber at least how it works is somebody makes a request for a ride on their uber app, it goes to the closest 'online' driver and they have 15 seconds to accept the ride. Then all the Uber driver has to do is drive to the address, and Uber uses the GPS and automatically sends the rider a text message when they arrrive. The payment is all handled online so it is a cashless transaction (I'm sure they could set it up to use bitcoin really easily). No tip required, and the drivers I hear are pretty happy.

Mani
06-13-2014, 03:28 AM
I suppose so, but Uber and Lyft make it so much easier to be a freelance taxi. That guy would probably sign up for it if it is in his town, if he hasn't already. The drivers use their own cars and go online whenever they want, no schedules.

For Uber at least how it works is somebody makes a request for a ride on their uber app, it goes to the closest 'online' driver and they have 15 seconds to accept the ride. Then all the Uber driver has to do is drive to the address, and Uber uses the GPS and automatically sends the rider a text message when they arrrive. The payment is all handled online so it is a cashless transaction (I'm sure they could set it up to use bitcoin really easily). No tip required, and the drivers I hear are pretty happy.

Ya, it sounded like a pretty free market, free lance situation the way my cousin described it. He said it's cheaper, the people are friendlier, it's easier to get a ride, and the drivers have all feedback on a 5 star rating, so the customer service is really good. Which sounds fantastic since in Singapore it's a very mixed affair you can get really angry taxi drivers to really friendly.

He said it's really helpful afterwork or when it's raining and tough to get a taxi, a lot of people are on their way home from work and just make themselves available.

Spikender
06-13-2014, 03:39 AM

That sounds fair enough to me.

I wasn't actually speaking about Uber or Lyft anyway, I was talking about the taxi drivers who were stuck working the old fashioned day. They should adapt instead of whine.

osan
06-13-2014, 07:04 AM
You have to give these ultra progressive bastions of liberalism credit for nerve. They spew their "love speak" as they act in perfect non-congruence, all the while missing no beat. It is a skill that fully perplexes me as to how they pull it off. They utter "we're all equal while their actions say "gotta keep an eye on them niggrahs because they are always up to something".

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-13-2014, 08:00 AM
obviously the solution is just to give people free rides on your ride home, and make the whole system fume until it implodes on itself. It's not illegal to be kind to strangers, is it?

asurfaholic
06-13-2014, 08:47 AM
obviously the solution is just to give people free rides on your ride home, and make the whole system fume until it implodes on itself. It's not illegal to be kind to strangers, is it?

Your post is confusing.

We're talking about people who want to make a few side dollars using thier personal vehicles and time as the tool.

That alone should be enough to send the libs and progressive asshats into spasms.