PDA

View Full Version : Dave Brat: “The government holds a monopoly on violence.”

TaftFan
06-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Well, we know he has been reading libertarian literature, and writing it.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/380280/david-brat-right-charles-c-w-cooke

supermario21
06-12-2014, 07:47 PM
His piece about the state having a monopoly on violence made me think he was writing for LRC it was that good.

Guitarzan
06-12-2014, 08:53 PM
That's a beautiful thing.

I'm getting revved up about this guy.

kathy88
06-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Hope this guy puts his votes where his mouth is.

Working Poor
06-12-2014, 09:53 PM
cool

Kotin
06-12-2014, 09:59 PM
And THIS guy replaced cantor???? The presumed speaker of the house??

This could be really good.

specsaregood
06-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Well let's not start ******* each others ***** just yet.

I suspect the GOP establishment has not played their last card in order to keep him out of the seat.

RoC
06-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Well, we know he has been reading libertarian literature, and writing it.]
Or maybe he has been watching old Interviews of Barack Obama, who said that a nation state is a monopoly on violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D64KcZsD82E

idiom
06-12-2014, 11:02 PM
It is a monopoly granted by the people. It can be rescinded by the people at a moments notice.

fr33
06-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Watch the progressives abandon their so called "intellectualism" when it comes to philosophy. "he's a terrorist!"

thoughtomator
06-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Tea Party claimed him but he's one of ours. I mean, economics professor? Surely he knows the what's what, if he's also running as a Republican.

Vanguard101
06-12-2014, 11:19 PM
So how many people can we say are basically with us or ron paul endorsed in the House?

Henry Rogue
06-13-2014, 06:47 AM
Tea Party claimed him but he's one of ours. I mean, economics professor? Surely he knows the what's what, if he's also running as a Republican.
He is Chicago School.
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2014/06/david-brats-campaign-manager-is-lew.html

Henry Rogue
06-13-2014, 06:51 AM
His piece about the state having a monopoly on violence made me think he was writing for LRC it was that good.
Do you have a link to his piece? I would like to read it.

Todd
06-13-2014, 06:59 AM

8 years ago I would have laughed at the suggestion

http://media0.giphy.com/media/rl0FOxdz7CcxO/giphy.gif

Aratus
06-13-2014, 03:52 PM

he's an academic who loathes fatcat money... and who it often buys

torchbearer
06-13-2014, 05:00 PM
No More Monopoly on Violence moneybomb!

boneyard bill
06-13-2014, 05:27 PM

It's hardly a controversial statement that you would only expect to see on LRC. As the NR article points out, it's a completely neutral statement. In my college days I learned that "the state is an institution with a monopoly of legitimate violence." That's simply how the state was defined, and there was no argument about this from my liberal political science professors. This statement is only controversial for a bunch of dim-witted reporters who can't see what's right in front of their face.

boneyard bill
06-13-2014, 05:32 PM
That's a beautiful thing.

I'm getting revved up about this guy.

He got a lot of grass-roots support from the Tea Party, but as far as I can see he's pretty much libertarian. What I like about him is that he finally gives us a candidate who is willing to campaign against corporate welfare. That seems to me to be a natural issue for liberty movement people to embrace and one with great populist appeal as well as one that many Democrats are vulnerable on.

boneyard bill
06-13-2014, 05:36 PM
He is Chicago School.
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2014/06/david-brats-campaign-manager-is-lew.html

If you wait for Robert Wenzel's endorsement, you will never vote for anyone not name Murray Sabrin. Chicago School is way better than what most of our politicians are being sucked into. Besides, even many Austrians don't buy into the "Rothbard is never wrong school" of Wenzel.

NewRightLibertarian
06-13-2014, 05:49 PM
As long as he isn't a big time war hawk like some of those Ayn Randers and Chicago School disciples tend to be, he should be excellent.

boneyard bill
06-16-2014, 10:18 PM
As long as he isn't a big time war hawk like some of those Ayn Randers and Chicago School disciples tend to be, he should be excellent.

He criticized Cantor for voting for "two un-funded wars." That's not exactly an anti-war statement since it implies that Cantor's votes would have been OK if the wars had been funded, but I don't think that's what the casual listener would get out of it. It's not the kind of statement that I would expect from a war hawk.