PDA

View Full Version : Dave Brat -The dragon slayer from VA District 7

devil21
06-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Just starting a thread for the dragon slayer from VA! He must win the seat. Any Tea Party guy that can land a historic primary win like that with so little general coverage needs to be heavily supported by this community. Everyone will be trying to get to him.

http://www.davebratforcongress.com

We Believe…

That the free enterprise system is the most productive supplier of human needs and economic justice,
That all individuals are entitled to equal rights, justice, and opportunities and should assume their responsibilities as citizens in a free society,
That fiscal responsibility and budgetary restraints must be exercised at all levels of government,
That the Federal Government must preserve individual liberty by observing Constitutional limitations,
That peace is best preserved through a strong national defense,
That faith in God, as recognized by our Founding Fathers is essential to the moral fiber of the Nation.

Issues:

Obamacare
Obamacare has proven to be an economically disastrous law and an unconstitutional power grab by our Federal Government. The government cannot and should not be permitted to run and regulate nearly 20% of our nation’s economy. We must restore the relationship between doctor and patient. We must restore the relationship between price and service in medicine or we will continue on the Road to Serfdom. I support a plan to defund the law and replace it with free-market solutions that lower costs, improve quality, and increase access to care.

Fiscal Responsibility
Our national debt has skyrocketed, reaching over $17 trillion dollars. What our leaders in Washington fail to mention is the $127 Trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities (see U.S. Debt Clock). This lack of leadership on both sides of the aisle threatens our nation’s stability and long term growth and forces an undue burden on our children and grandchildren. We must balance the federal budget by reducing spending. I will support a balanced budget amendment which will force Congress to reign in the out of control federal spending and to restore confidence in the American economy.

Immigration
When addressing the issue of immigration, we must start by securing our border. An open border is both a national security threat and an economic threat that our country cannot ignore. I reject any proposal that grants amnesty and undermines the fundamental rule of law. Adding millions of workers to the labor market will force wages to fall and jobs to be lost. I support proposals that will secure our border, enforce our current laws, and restore an orderly and fair process to allow law abiding individuals to work towards becoming citizens of this great nation.

Term Limits
I am a strong proponent of term limits for members of Congress. Career politicians and special moneyed interests have corrupted our democratic system. I pledge to support and submit legislation that enforces term limits. Ideally, Congressional term limits would be for 12 years total, across both The House and The Senate. Thus, I pledge to term limit myself to 12 years in Congress.

2nd Amendment
I will oppose any efforts to undermine or limit the Constitutional right to bear arms.

I am a strong supporter of gun rights. The right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right enshrined in the constitution for a reason - it provides the people with the ultimate guarantee of sovereignty. I will oppose any back door attempts to confiscate guns or create a national gun registry. All too frequently the knee jerk reaction to tragedies by the media and chattering class is to move to restrict our rights. In Congress, I will be a steady and firm supporter of our 2nd amendment rights at all times - not just when it is convenient. Our founding documents make it clear that our inalienable rights come from God and that the job of the government is to ensure and protect those God given rights. I intend to keep it that way.

Education
As an economist and educator for eighteen years, I understand the value of a good education. This is why I oppose top down approaches by the Federal Government such as Common Core and No Child Left Behind. I will support efforts to place Virginia’s teachers, parents, and local officials, who best understand the needs of the community, in control of our education system.

National Security/Foreign Policy
Ronald Reagan said it best: “Peace through strength.” A strong military is essential to the success of our nation. We must secure our borders, support the Armed Forces, both at home and abroad, and maintain a strong national defense in order to secure our country’s future. In addition, I support a full investigation into the Benghazi attacks.

Federal Reserve
I support a full audit of the Federal Reserve System.

Energy
I support a broad-spectrum energy approach that relies on the free market. The private sector must be set free to invest in natural gas, wind, solar, oil, nuclear, and other forms of energy as we move forward. Ending our reliance on foreign oil and moving toward energy independence is vital to the future welfare of America.

10th Amendment
The federal government has grown far too large. Our Founders envisioned a nation in which the federal government’s powers were explicitly listed and limited. I fully support the Constitution and enforcing the 10th Amendment and getting the government out of the way of economic growth. I will work to bring power back to the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Individual Freedoms
The federal government’s abuse of our freedoms has spun out of control. Whether it is the NSA violating our 4th Amendment Rights by collecting phone records, the IRS violating our 1st Amendment rights by targeting conservative organizations, or President Obama violating our 5th Amendment rights with the indefinite detention of American citizens, our freedoms have been under attack and they must be restored.

Uphold Human Life
Human life is sacred, as proclaimed by our founding documents, and I will always support laws that protect life. Our fundamental rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness precede the existence of government and come from God, the Author of Nature. These core constitutional rights have been usurped by the Judicial and Executive Branches and must be returned to the people and their representatives.

Todd
06-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Where is it said he was backed by the "tea party".

CPUd
06-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Front page everywhere.

devil21
06-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Not sure what you mean. Did you read the issues section above?

Brat's FP section sounds a tad more hawkish than I'd usually prefer but I'll let that slide considering the rest.

Carlybee
06-11-2014, 01:36 PM
http://video.lauraingraham.com/Who-is-David-Brat-26250636?playlistId=993#.U5iuudq9KK1

Todd
06-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Brat's FP section sounds a tad more hawkish than I'd usually prefer but I'll let that slide considering the rest.

I'm just wondering if he identifies with that label.

Lucille
06-11-2014, 05:39 PM
The War Street Journal is upset.

WSJ Breathlessly Suggests: Was David Brat's Defeat of a Jewish Congressman Somehow Related to His Hitler-Shall-Rise-Anew Agenda?
http://ace.mu.nu/archives/349749.php

All of this is interesting -- hey, I learned something; I had no idea David Brat was a full-on libertarian -- but the piece is written as if to suggest the excerpts here constitute Dangerous Thoughts and therefore Campaign Fodder.

David Brat, the Virginia Republican who shocked House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R., Va.) Tuesday, wrote in 2011 that Hitler’s rise "could all happen again, quite easily."

And?

Mr. Brat's remarks, in a 2011 issue of Interpretation: A Journal of Bible and Theology, came three years before he defeated the only Jewish Republican in Congress.

What?

They're suggesting Brat is pro-Hitler? How else can one read their noting that Brat said that Hitler could rise again, and then mention that in reference to the defeat of the GOP's only Jewish Congressmen as if they're linked?

‘Just nasty’: What exactly is WSJ trying to suggest with this piece on Dave Brat?
http://twitchy.com/2014/06/11/just-nasty-what-exactly-is-wsj-trying-to-suggest-with-this-piece-on-dave-brat/

As Twitchy reported, lefties lamely tried to paint GOP Rep. Eric Cantor’s primary loss last night as evidence that the Tea Party is anti-Semitic. And for many conservatives, this Wall Street Journal piece by Reid Epstein isn’t much better

More Facts About The Tea-Party's "Goliath-Slayer" David Brat
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-11/more-facts-about-tea-partys-goliath-slayer-david-brat

Slowly but surely, more is being revealed about Eric Cantor's unknown until now (so unknown that his Wikipedia entry was only two sentences before Tuesday night) nemesis, the anti-big business, anti-Wall Street, anti establishment "Goliath-slayer" David Brat. In addition to our profile from this morning, here is the latest compilation of biographical factoids about the suddenly uber-famous tea party activist, who has written about the role of religion in economic growth. He is also a fan of the pro-capitalist novelist Ayn Rand. Here are some facts about Brat from Reuters.
[...]
Further on Brat from The Hill

Good stuff. I like this guy.

RonPaulMall
06-12-2014, 01:25 AM
He's definitely one of the brightest stars of the Liberty movement. His campaign is the blueprint to follow for any Liberty candidate that wants to get elected. Spot on focus and messaging.

cjm
06-12-2014, 07:31 AM

Front page everywhere.

Jamie Radtke distinguishes between the national tea party organizations and the local groups:

http://thebullelephant.com/can-next-dave-brat/

What can you do next for Dave Brat?
By Jamie Radtke | 17 Comments

Let me first share what you should NOT do – give to the national organizations who are claiming credit for Eric Cantor’s defeat! Laura Ingraham has it partially correct, the national tea party organizations did not lift a finger to help. They are now trying to financially benefit from a race they refused to publicly support. They were Dave Brat’s biggest closet cheerleaders. I can testify to the fact that they prefer this role. Behind closet doors they tell you they are pulling for you and want you to win. They were always promising to jump in the race and help, but they sat on the sidelines and did nothing. Don’t reward organizations that did nothing and want to take credit and your money.

The only edit I would make to Ingraham’s comments is that an overwhelming majority of the credit goes to the LOCAL tea party grassroots. Hundreds of volunteers worked tirelessly the last four months for yesterday’s upset. They did it without a dime of compensation. As Dave Brat said in his victory speech last night, “they have the worn shoe leather to prove it!”

I'm just wondering if he identifies with that label.

He does not. He repeatedly identifies himself as "Republican." He acknowledges the tea party support he has received but has continuously asked media to stop portraying the primary as tea party vs establishment.

That being said, he stumped for E. W. Jackson so he's probably got some tea party ties whether he identifies as tea party or not.

Vanguard101
06-12-2014, 09:51 AM
He seems like one of us. Probably somewhere in between paul and cruz

CaptUSA
06-12-2014, 10:49 AM
I think it's time he had his own forum. Anyone want to second the proposal?

cjm
06-12-2014, 11:07 AM
I think it's time he had his own forum. Anyone want to second the proposal?

second.

Aratus
06-12-2014, 01:06 PM
the HACKs are stunned. both sets of 'em in D.C
and if he's into Hayek, then the call for a LIBERTY
forum for him here makes total sense. otherwise
WONKETTE is going to keep on ahhh boasting in the
bloggo~sphere that its not the GOP by its lonesome
that got him elected, its BHO's people in tandem...

RandallFan
06-15-2014, 11:44 PM

If I was running in a primary against Cantor I wouldn't attack him on FP. Cantor's campaign has attacked his previous primary opponents before as anti-semitic. Especially if he was to come out with some sort of geographical gaffe.

I don't think foreign policy would have been a major issue unless Obama acted in Syria with the help of Boehner and Cantor.

At least when Brat goes in to congress, he is not the leader. He may be a bit hawkish but with a weakened GOP leadership it is harder for them to push war.

thoughtomator
06-16-2014, 01:35 AM
If I was running in a primary against Cantor I wouldn't attack him on FP. Cantor's campaign has attacked his previous primary opponents before as anti-semitic. Especially if he was to come out with some sort of geographical gaffe.

Yes. People are going to have to be satisfied with liberty candidates eliding over foreign policy issues and feigning obeisance to typical emotional rituals for now. The public won't be willing to confront its own culpability in a failed foreign policy strategy for quite some time now, so it's best - if you want to win elections - to handle that when we have more strength and can deal with the issue more than symbolically.

RonPaulMall
06-16-2014, 04:36 PM
He seems like one of us. Probably somewhere in between paul and cruz

From the things he has been saying and the screenshots of the books in his office, I'm anticipating that he is going to be way better than either Cruz or Paul. I think he is right up there with Amash and might even rival Paul the Elder. This makes up for the disappointment over Brannon and Broun.

devil21
06-17-2014, 01:53 AM
bump for thread and this fine new subforum :)

Aratus
06-17-2014, 02:00 AM
its a totally sweet, reet & neat lil forum! it also
looks like Tom McMillin has a new forum, too!!!