PDA

View Full Version : BlimpCam

GoSlash27
12-01-2007, 12:31 PM
There's a cheap addition to the webpage that will help the effort tremendously:
A webcam in the hangar.
It will allay any fears that the blimp is a hoax/ scam as well as build a buzz as everyone gets excited while following it's decorating progress.

Just a thought, but IMO a good one and cheap to execute as well.

Kalash
12-01-2007, 12:42 PM
The only downside I can see is that the artwork may not be produced on site.

If they're just putting decals on the blimp there won't be much to see yet.

But... it'd definitely lend credibility and excitement to the fairly bland page.

kutibah
12-01-2007, 12:44 PM
How about in addition to this we have a camera attached to the bottom of the blimp that is broadcast in real time? Watching the blimp fly would be really awesome!

Kalash
12-01-2007, 12:47 PM
How about in addition to this we have a camera attached to the bottom of the blimp that is broadcast in real time? Watching the blimp fly would be really awesome!

That sounds good too - but like a logistical nightmare.

How are you going to get internet access (with a decent upload speed) on a blimp?

Cell phones don't work well starting at 1,000 - 1,500 feet - and stop completely above that.
A wireless card isn't going to be an option.

I'm all for it - maybe having some kind of link to a ground unit with internet access to broadcast...

I dunno.
What tech. is on the blimp already?

kutibah
12-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Verizon offers Nationwide broadband access for $60/monthwith 1.5 MPbs speed. Problem is, like you said, I'm not sure if the coverage will reach beyond 1000 feet.

Or it can be broadcast to a ground unit like you said. Isn't that how news helicopters broadcast their video live on TV?

moberley
12-01-2007, 12:50 PM
That sounds good too - but like a logistical nightmare.

How are you going to get internet access (with a decent upload speed) on a blimp?

Cell phones don't work well starting at 1,000 - 1,500 feet - and stop completely above that.
A wireless card isn't going to be an option.

I'm all for it - maybe having some kind of link to a ground unit with internet access to broadcast...

I dunno.
What tech. is on the blimp already?

How do those justin.tv hat cams work? Would they work from a blimp?

Kalash
12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
How do those justin.tv hat cams work? Would they work from a blimp?

They use the wireless cards mentioned in the post above yours.

From the ground, they're GREAT!

From the air you run into problems.

If the blimp is going to be above 1,500 feet, a wireless cell card isn't going to work.

If it's between 1,000-1,500 - it would be VERY intermittent at best.

Cell networks are fairly flat. They don't bounce around the stratosphere like AM radio waves.

michael.byrne
12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Satellite Internet Access should work

Kalash
12-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Satellite Internet Access should work

That's an option - but not cheap.

And for uploads, generally requires a stable position.

I want to know what the blimp comes equipped with.
If the military was using it, there should be some goodies on board.

I don't think this will be a problem - we're coming up with consumer solutions for a professional problem - that may already be solved.

I don't wanna ride in the blimp - I just want to play with it's on-board toys ;)

GoSlash27
12-01-2007, 01:20 PM
All,
I wasn't thinking that far ahead I guess. I'm just thinking a cheap webcam that can send a slow updating (like once a minute) image from inside the hangar while the blimp is being prepped.
This is something that should be easily accomplished with a coding update and a quick trip to Best Buy. Of course, somebody up at the hangar would have to rig it up.

AFA the technical details involved in streaming video from the blimp, I'd leave that to those more network-savvy than myself.

Mckarnin
12-01-2007, 01:33 PM

Wasn't there some mention of a truck with lights and cameras driving after the blimp the whole way?