PDA

View Full Version : WV - Cops pepper spray and beat fellow cop.

Anti Federalist
06-07-2014, 10:18 PM
From an incident in 2012, just being reported now, as far as I can see.

Wonder how one of us Mundanes would have fared.

Charleston officer sues Huntington police over alleged attack

http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20140602/GZ01/140609903/1419

By Kate White, Staff writer

A Charleston police officer says a Huntington police officer attacked him in downtown Huntington -- pepper-spraying him, smashing his face into concrete and punching him in the head.

Charleston Police Cpl. Steven Matthew Webb has sued Patrolman Richard Kern, the city of Huntington and the Huntington Police Department. Webb claims in the lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court in Huntington, that his civil rights were violated.

The alleged incident is the latest in a pattern of civil rights violations for the Huntington department, Webb’s attorneys, Richard Weston and Courtenay Craig, wrote in the complaint.

No one at the Huntington Police Department or the city was immediately available for comment Monday.

On June 2, 2012, Webb, a Cabell County resident who has been a Charleston police officer for 15 years, was walking down 4th Avenue in Huntington with several friends when he saw Huntington police signal a car playing loud music to pull over.

Webb and his friends stopped about 20 yards away from the traffic stop in order to watch “and provide assistance to a brother police officer if needed,” the complaint states. Webb had assisted Huntington police in the past, according to the lawsuit.

While Webb was standing on the sidewalk “doing nothing else,” Kern began walking quickly toward him, yelled a profanity and told him to keep walking down the street, the complaint states.

“Before, Corporal Webb could react to Kern’s unlawful command to leave the area, Kern maced Mr. Webb with his pepper spray,” the lawsuit states.

Webb, disoriented but alert, according to the complaint, identified himself as a police officer and asked Kern “what in the world he was doing.”

Kern grabbed Webb’s arm, as Webb began pulling out his photo identification and police badge.

“You’re going to badge me? You’re going to badge me? You’re not a police officer any longer!” the lawsuit claims Kern told Webb.

Webb pulled away and told Kern he was one of the “good guys” and simply watching the traffic stop.

That’s when other Huntington police officers rushed to aid Kern, the complaint states.

“Before he realized what had happened, the gang of officers slammed Corporal Webb to the pavement smashing his face into the concrete causing a bleeding wound,” the lawsuit states. “Patrolman Richard Kern also punched Corporal Webb int he head with a closed fist during this altercation.”

Huntington police realized they had no reason to arrest Webb and scattered, but an officer still took him to their headquarters and placed him in a holding cell, the lawsuit says.

After some time, Kern’s supervisor came to Webb and said “if he was in Charleston, and Webb asked him to move along, he would do so,” the complaint states. Webb replied he was never given the chance to move along before he was maced. Webb was then allowed to leave.

Not long after the alleged incident, during a Fraternal Order of Police convention, the lawsuit states, Kern approached a ranking Charleston Police officer and repeatedly apologized. Kern told the Charleston officer that he had “blacked out” during the incident, according to the complaint.

Several months later, Webb was pulled over by police in Huntington. Fifteen minutes later, Kern showed up at the scene, the lawsuit states, and arrested Webb for DUI. Webb was found not guilty of the charge after a trial, according to the suit.

Webb is suing for medical expenses and lost wages. He also wants a judge to award punitive damages.

The lawsuit claims that the Huntington Police Department “has engaged in a patter and practice of civil rights violations and retaliates against those that watch them perform their job functions.”

The department suppresses hides its transgressions “through a systematic plan of citizen intimidation, censorship and secrecy, the lawsuit states.

“Corporal Webb was simply watching HPD officers perform a traffic stop and was prepared to offer backup if needed. Instead, he was treated as a

criminal and had his civil rights violated by patrolman Richard Kern,” the complaint states.

Occam's Banana
06-08-2014, 12:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aZCYnsG--c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aZCYnsG--c

invisible
06-08-2014, 01:00 AM
This is going to be a really good one to watch unfold! Cops always lie, and claim that the citizen did something that they didn't to attempt to justify their actions ("he moved, and I feared for my life", "stop resisting", etc). And of course the judge always believes the cop, their word is always worth more than that of the citizen in court. But what happens when a cop claims that a cop lies? What happens when the word of the victim is magically and suddenly just as credible to the judge as that of the attacker? For some reason, I can't see this ever actually being heard in a courtroom, and fear they'll probably find a way to settle it quietly with no charges being filed against the attacker, and sweep it under the rug.

coastie
06-08-2014, 04:19 AM
Leviathan eats it's own.

tod evans
06-08-2014, 04:22 AM
Leviathan eats it's own.

No tears here..

JK/SEA
06-08-2014, 07:24 AM
i swear........ALL cops must be checked for rabies....pretty sure its epidemic...

Suzanimal
06-08-2014, 07:32 AM
No pity here.

Webb, disoriented but alert, according to the complaint, identified himself as a police officer and asked Kern “what in the world he was doing.”

http://i.imgur.com/QLKl0Wct.jpg

otherone
06-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Leviathan eats it's own.

http://www.mrconservative.com/files/2014/01/2014.01.09-mrconservative-52cf263279275.jpg

PaulConventionWV
06-08-2014, 08:23 AM
That is some weird and wild stuff.

The Huntington guy claims he "blacked out" during the incident. How is that even possible? Does he mean consumed by rage to the point of losing all self-control?

If that is the case, then I would suggest he is not fit for such a position as he holds. Very telling how the two communicated. It doesn't matter who you are; if you piss off a police officer for any reason, get ready to be beat. They truly are violent psychopaths, and if they think you are a mundane hassling them, then attempts to calm their frazzled nerves will be in vain. The red comes over them whenever they are questioned and there's no going back when that happens. The police officer reacted how he would to anyone else he "felt threatened" by, and the innocent bystander who happens to be a police officer from another department will claim he is on your side because, y'know, this is war, and we have sides.

Honestly, though, it is probably advisable to stay the hell away from both Charleston and Huntington, seeing as they are the two biggest cities in WV and the state police around here are dicks as it is. I can only imagine what it would be like in those places. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with those biggish-small cities and live in a much smaller area.

ghengis86
06-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Lol, this should be good! Popping some popcorn and sitting back to watch the idiocy, hypocrisy and general cop/state ******ry.

ETA: F a g g o t is censored? Who knew?

Schifference
06-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Maybe it would be advisable for all citizens to dress in riot gear whenever out of their comfort zone. With helmets, shields, batons, bullet proof vests.... on the back & on the breast the word CITIZEN

Spikender
06-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Maybe it would be advisable for all citizens to dress in riot gear whenever out of their comfort zone. With helmets, shields, batons, bullet proof vests.... on the back & on the breast the word CITIZEN

Sad that we as a society have degraded so far on this issue that this joke even has to be made.

I hope all the police involved are seen for the animals that they are in this case. Fuck all 'em.

osan
06-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Leviathan eats it's own.

If only...

Schifference
06-08-2014, 08:51 AM
It actually was not even a joke. We should wear protective gear whenever there is a threat of physical harm. Football players wear it & cops do to. I would bet that if someone was walking down the street in a citizen version of riot gear carrying his shield and baton they would get apprehended and be considered a threat or terrorist. It would probably then or already is against some law to dress in protective gear.

Origanalist
06-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Lol, this should be good! Popping some popcorn and sitting back to watch the idiocy, hypocrisy and general cop/state ******ry.

ETA: F a g g o t is censored? Who knew?

You are now in a politically correct zone.

limequat
06-08-2014, 09:00 AM
The best thing that could happen is that this turns into a Charleston PD vs Huntington PD gang war.
Would be nice if we had some folks in WV willing to run some false flags. Even a cleverly placed phone call could escalate things.

jkr
06-08-2014, 09:39 AM
he should have wore his stuper hero costume...

ghengis86
06-08-2014, 10:06 AM
The best thing that could happen is that this turns into a Charleston PD vs Huntington PD gang war.
Would be nice if we had some folks in WV willing to run some false flags. Even a cleverly placed phone call could escalate things.

Who will SWAT the SWATTERS?

Anti Federalist
06-08-2014, 10:41 AM
That's what I took away from this story as well.

That is some weird and wild stuff.

The Huntington guy claims he "blacked out" during the incident. How is that even possible? Does he mean consumed by rage to the point of losing all self-control?

If that is the case, then I would suggest he is not fit for such a position as he holds. Very telling how the two communicated. It doesn't matter who you are; if you piss off a police officer for any reason, get ready to be beat. They truly are violent psychopaths, and if they think you are a mundane hassling them, then attempts to calm their frazzled nerves will be in vain. The red comes over them whenever they are questioned and there's no going back when that happens. The police officer reacted how he would to anyone else he "felt threatened" by, and the innocent bystander who happens to be a police officer from another department will claim he is on your side because, y'know, this is war, and we have sides.

Honestly, though, it is probably advisable to stay the hell away from both Charleston and Huntington, seeing as they are the two biggest cities in WV and the state police around here are dicks as it is. I can only imagine what it would be like in those places. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with those biggish-small cities and live in a much smaller area.