PDA

View Full Version : CA-Family calls 911 for help with 18 y/o "special needs" daughter. Cops show up and kill her.

Anti Federalist
06-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Old news these days.

Do Not Call Cops.

Very little hard information yet.

Conflicting Stories Emerge About Fatal San Mateo Co. Officer-Involved Shooting

By Brian Shields

Wed Jun 4th, 2014 8:43am America/Los_Angeles

http://news.kron4.com/news/video-conflicting-stories-emerge-about-fatal-san-mateo-co-officer-involved-shooting/

SAN MATEO COUNTY (KRON) — Authorities and the family of a woman shot and killed by San Mateo County sheriff’s deputies are telling far different stories about the moments leading up to the shooting.

The family tells KRON 4′s Mike Pelton the woman who was shot was 18-year old Yanira Serrano.

Authorities say they got a call about an armed woman in the street in the Moondridge Housing Complex.

“Deputies arrived on scene,” Sheriff’s department spokeswoman Rebecca Rosenblatt tells KRON 4. “Shortly thereafter there was a confrontation where the deputy was in fear for his life and as a result he fired his weapon.”

Serrano’s family tells a different story. They say the woman who was shot has special needs and was refusing to take her medication so the family members called 911 hoping paramedics would show up instead of armed law officers.

“She has special needs and we just want answers,” the woman’s brother, Tiny Serrano says. “Who are we supposed to call now when we need help when who is supposed to help us is killing our kids?”

The deputy who opened fire is now on paid administrative leave. The D.A’s office and sheriff’s detectives are now investigating the shooting.

Stay tuned to KRON 4, the KRON 4 Mobile App, and KRON4.com for the latest on this developing story.

Schifference
06-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Don't call 911!

Anti Federalist
06-04-2014, 11:09 PM
“Who are we supposed to call now, when we need help, when who is supposed to help us is killing our kids?”

“Who are we supposed to call now, when we need help, when who is supposed to help us is killing our kids?”

Dr.3D
06-04-2014, 11:26 PM
If the cops weren't such pussies and always fearing for their lives, they might be good at their jobs.

Anti Federalist
06-04-2014, 11:29 PM
If the cops weren't such pussies and always fearing for their lives, they might be good at their jobs.

They're not.

All that talk about "fearing for my safety" is just that, talk.

It's the Qualified Immunity "get out of jail free card" so they skate when they light one of us up.

phill4paul
06-05-2014, 04:48 AM
Not quite the way it used to be........

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?453163-Interfacing-with-the-Mentally-ill-Police-Training-Video-(1960)

I bet their new training video is a dozy.

Spikender
06-05-2014, 07:39 AM
A mentally ill woman was a threat to the officer's life?

An armed officer's life?

This is becoming almost grimly comedic at this point. I knew 100% I'd see "the officer is on paid administrative leave while some bullshit cover up is invented" at the end of the article too.

The pattern is here. The killings are real. Wake up motherfuckers, they are moving up from dogs to your kids.

Soon, it's just gonna be you.

Philhelm
06-05-2014, 11:42 AM

...Ghostbusters?

Philhelm
06-05-2014, 11:44 AM

The problem is that they are doing a good job.

Christian Liberty
06-05-2014, 11:58 AM

They're not.

All that talk about "fearing for my safety" is just that, talk.

It's the Qualified Immunity "get out of jail free card" so they skate when they light one of us up.

lol! I'm guessing its some of both. There are probably cops who are genuinely overly paranoid, which would be a powerful motivation to take a job where "officer safety" is a high priority, and where one can get away with not taking any risks to one's life. On the other hand, I think a lot of them just want to kill people.

A mentally ill woman was a threat to the officer's life?

An armed officer's life?

This is becoming almost grimly comedic at this point. I knew 100% I'd see "the officer is on paid administrative leave while some bullshit cover up is invented" at the end of the article too.

The pattern is here. The killings are real. Wake up motherfuckers, they are moving up from dogs to your kids.

And most people will still "support their local law enforcement."

Anti Federalist
06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
...Ghostbusters?

I had resolved to give rep to the first person that came back with that.

Alas, I am out of ammo.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Bump

Philhelm
06-06-2014, 12:46 PM
I had resolved to give rep to the first person that came back with that.

Alas, I am out of ammo.

The servants of the state would bust ghosts if the could. Take your life then your spirit. One hell of a prison planet that would be.

Teenager For Ron Paul
06-06-2014, 02:25 PM
"They say the woman who was shot has special needs and was refusing to take her medication so the family members called 911 hoping paramedics would show up"

"Authorities say they got a call about an armed woman in the street in the Moondridge Housing Complex."

....how the fuck did that get mixed up?

Special needs woman refuses to take medication, family calls 911 for paramedic.

Armed police show up, supposedly responding to a call about an armed woman in the street?

Seriously, what?

Anti Federalist
06-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Give 'em time...they're working on getting their bullshit straight.

However it comes out, it'll be "justified" of course.

"They say the woman who was shot has special needs and was refusing to take her medication so the family members called 911 hoping paramedics would show up"

"Authorities say they got a call about an armed woman in the street in the Moondridge Housing Complex."

....how the fuck did that get mixed up?

Special needs woman refuses to take medication, family calls 911 for paramedic.

Armed police show up, supposedly responding to a call about an armed woman in the street?

Seriously, what?

Anti Federalist
06-13-2014, 12:38 PM
More info from Police State USA.com

Police shoot teenage special-needs girl within 20 seconds of arriving to ‘help’

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/yanira-serrano-garcia/

HALF MOON BAY, CA — A family was crushed and a community is outraged after a call for help turned into a hasty death sentence for a disgruntled teenage girl with special needs.

On June 3rd, 2014, the Serrano family was having difficulty with a young female family member who suffers from a mental illness and depression. Yanira Serrano-Garcia, 18, had apparently gone off of her medication and became agitated and hard to control.

http://www.policestateusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Yanira-Serrano-Garcia-210x300.jpg

During past episodes, the Serrano family had called medical personnel to help them control Yanira. That Tuesday evening, they called the fire department for help once again.

This time, however, police officers arrived instead of paramedics.

The family had instructed the dispatcher that the girl was acting erratically and wouldn’t put down a kitchen knife. San Mateo County deputies responded to the scene expecting to confront an armed suspect.

Deputy Mehn Trieu was among the first responders to the housing complex at roughly 9:23 p.m. Trieu exited his vehicle and found Yanira outside. Within 20 seconds of arriving, he determined she was a threat and opened fire, confirmed department spokeswoman Deputy Rebecca Rosenblatt.

Trieu, a 9-year-veteran, claimed that he feared for his life and had to shoot the “knife wielding woman” nearly immediately after arriving. A family friend, however, described the object she was holding as a “butter knife.”

Yanira was struck and killed. No one else was injured. Deputy Mehn Trieu was put on paid administrative leave.

The shooting sparked outrage across the community. Yanira’s friends and family described her as having “special needs” and that police officers may not have the training to deal with people with health issues such as hers.

“[Yanira] wanted to be normal. She wanted to stop taking her medication, and I get it. Sometimes when my feet hurt I just want to be normal. I don’t want to take pills. I get her…all we want is justice,” said a friend of Yanira’s during a community march. “Sadly, they mistook her for something she didn’t do, and a cop decided to get his gun out when he could have gotten out his taser, his pepper spray,” she said.

“I feel bad for her for what happened,” said Saul Miramontes, Yanira’s cousin. “I don’t know why this officer couldn’t understand what was going on through her life, or could have done at least something better than try to take her life away, you know?”

“She has special needs and we just want answers,” said Yanira’s brother, Tiny Serrano. “Who are we supposed to call now when we need help when who is supposed to help us is killing our kids?”

This incident represents yet another example of how calling the government to intentionally confront family members, particularly those with mental illness, often ends in unnecessary tragedy and death. It may prove wiser to find other ways to deal with such situations, avoiding the unnecessary introduction of armed strangers who are trained to use violence to eliminate any perceived threats — real or imagined.

green73
06-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Ban butter knives.

jclay2
06-13-2014, 11:04 PM
I am pretty sure that the world is in a never ending loop of ground hog day. Special needs child shot after wielding a butter knife:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?357608-Yet-again-file-under-don-t-call-the-cops-quot-Autistic-Teen-Fatally-Shot-by-Police-at-Home-quot

libertyjam
09-10-2014, 11:51 AM
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/federal-lawsuit-filed-police-murder/#BqUckL52C7FJGqZa.99

A federal civil lawsuit was filed today against San Mateo county and a deputy, on behalf of the family of mentally ill 18 year old Yanira Serrano who was fatally shot by a County Sheriff’s deputy outside the family home on June 3.

In the newly released 9-1-1 tape, her brother is heard requesting medical help, as Serrano was schizophrenic and off of her medications. He is heard in the tapes stating that it was not an emergency.

Within minutes Deputy Mehn Trieu arrived. Lorenzo Serrano was still on the phone with 9-1-1 as the gun shot rang out- despite dispatch stating paramedics were en route.

The lawsuit states,

“With deliberate indifference to his own safety and the safety of others, he stopped his patrol car along the side of the Serrano home and immediately existed his patrol car. He knew he was the only unit there and that he was the only deputy there. He knew, or should have known, the standard police training required him to wait for other units to arrive, including a responding supervisor. He knew, per the dispatcher’s information, that the calling parties were not in danger and that there was no imminent threat to life or serious bodily injury. He knew, or should have known, that inserting himself blindly into the circumstances would escalate the emotions present at the time and contribute to the deterioration of Yanira Serrano’s state of mind.”

His teenage sister had allegedly charged at the officer with a kitchen knife. The problem with this allegation is that due to a birth defect, she walked with a limp and was allegedly unable to run.

“She was born with a congenital defect of her left calf and foot; causing both to be significantly atrophied. Because of her obese condition and her atrophied left foot/leg, she could not meaningfully run and limped badly.” the lawsuit reads.

“Officers are required to take a look at the whole circumstance when they arrive on scene,” attorney Jonathan Melrod told Mercury News. “Was he really afraid of a slight, 18-year-old girl who was not even able to run? Or did he pull the trigger without adequate attempts to deescalate the situation?”

As the young girl bled out in the street, her mother and brother were kept away from her at gun point, despite pleading with the officer to go comfort their dying loved one.

Lawyers for the family maintain that Serrano would still be alive had the officer undergone Crisis Intervention Training, and knew how to interact with someone showing symptoms of schizophrenia.

A study released this year by the American Psychiatric Association found that CIT-trained officers “had sizable and persisting improvements in knowledge, diverse attitudes about mental illnesses and their treatments, self-efficacy for interacting with someone with psychosis or suicidality, social distance stigma, de-escalation skills and referral decisions.”

According to one estimate, in approximately 40 percent of officer-involved shootings in California, the victims have shown signs of mental illness. In San Mateo county’s six fatal officer-involved shootings since 2010, four involved people who were mentally ill.

Unfortunately, with such a low percentage of California police being CIT certified, they are rarely qualified to be the first responders.

Last month the district attorney declined to file criminal charges against the officer and called the murder “justified”.

SeanTX
09-10-2014, 11:56 AM
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/federal-lawsuit-filed-police-murder/#BqUckL52C7FJGqZa.99

As the young girl bled out in the street, her mother and brother were kept away from her at gun point, despite pleading with the officer to go comfort their dying loved one.

I wonder if they kept paramedics away too -- they have been known to do this , usually by saying "the scene is not secured" as an excuse. And always at scenes they created, and where they were the only real "danger."

MelissaWV
09-10-2014, 12:01 PM
“She has special needs and we just want answers,” the woman’s brother, Tiny Serrano says. “Who are we supposed to call now when we need help when who is supposed to help us is killing our kids?”

This should prod people --- whether they believe the police would help or not --- to think this over. Even the paramedics are not likely to be equipped to deal with your particular medical case in this instance. Is there a doctor, on-call nurse, or other medical resource that would have access to the girl's medical history and current medications? Is there a number for a local resource that could help out with this? These are excellent questions to ask the moment you receive a diagnosis coupled with extensive pharmaceutical intervention.

aGameOfThrones
09-10-2014, 12:15 PM
If you don't go ferguson on them... it won't get that much attention.

tangent4ronpaul
09-10-2014, 12:22 PM
San Mateo county’s six fatal officer-involved shootings since 2010

cops kill 500 civilians in an average year. That should be about one murder per department every 4 years. This department manages to kill 1.5 per year. That's obviously a problem. I'd be willing to bet a single cop was involved in more than one of these executions.

-t

AuH20
09-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Lawyers for the family maintain that Serrano would still be alive had the officer undergone Crisis Intervention Training, and knew how to interact with someone showing symptoms of schizophrenia.

ROFL. People are really deluded. Does TV really rot your brain?

Anti Federalist
09-10-2014, 02:26 PM

MelissaWV
09-10-2014, 03:37 PM
I normally don't pay attention to something until it's stated in bold, for the third time, in large enough font to read without my glasses/contacts.

(Seriously, when did you start doing that multiple times in a thread?)