PDA

View Full Version : Chiquita aggressively lobbying against 9/11 victims' bill – report

Natural Citizen
06-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Banana giant Chiquita has spent around $780,000 in the past year and a half to block a 9/11 victims’ bill in the US Congress. The legislation aims to aid victims and families in their claims against supporters or sponsors of terror attacks.

Chiquita, the world’s largest banana producer, has lobbied in opposition to the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA), The Daily Beastreported (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/03/exclusive-chiquita-is-blocking-a-9-11-victims-bill.html). The bill would attempt to impose civil liabilities on those found to have aided and abetted US-designated terrorist groups overseas. Saudi financiers of the World Trade Center attacks are the main target of the bill, as families of victims of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks seek an avenue to hold terror funders accountable in American civil courts.

Though Chiquita is not associated with the 9/11 attacks, it pleaded guilty in 2007 to making over 100 payments beginning in 1997 to the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (AUC), a right-wing paramilitary group the United States considered a terror organization. Chiquita, which has operated in Colombia for over 100 years, handed AUC $1.7 million in cash and checks before ending the practice in February 2004.

Chiquita, in acknowledging payments made to terrorists, fears JASTA would subject it to civil claims against the company.

JASTA was conceived after a group of 9/11 victims’ families ran into roadblocks in their efforts to sue sponsors of terrorism, as various federal courts disagreed on whether those aiding or abetting terror groups could be found civilly liable. The group, known as the 9/11 Families United for Justice Against Terrorism, consists of about 6,500 family members of those killed or injured in the attacks.

“It would also make it clear that victims of terrorist attacks both outside and inside the US could seek damages against perpetrators,” said Matt House, a spokesman for Sen. Chuck Schumer, of New York, the top sponsor for the JASTA in the Senate.

The lead sponsor in the House is Rep. Peter King.

Other lawmakers have refused to comment on the status of the bill.

Continued - Chiquita aggressively lobbying against 9/11 victims' bill – report (http://rt.com/usa/163424-chiquita-terrorism-victim-bill/)

otherone
06-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Continued - Chiquita aggressively lobbying against 9/11 victims' bill – report (http://rt.com/usa/163424-chiquita-terrorism-victim-bill/)

LOL. No Blood for Bananas.

vita3
06-04-2014, 07:15 AM
I don't know about this Chiquita craziness.. but when I personally attented 911 health hearings for the original bill, I found out that

American Enterprise Institute (AEI) lobbied heavily against it.

asurfaholic
06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Friggin terrorists everywhere

Acala
06-04-2014, 08:16 AM
If Schumer is for it, I'm agin' it. The definition of "terrorist" is far too malleable for my liking.

FloralScent
06-04-2014, 08:30 AM
If Schumer is for it, I'm agin' it.

Words to live by.