PDA

View Full Version : Woman Who Tried To Cut Vermont Cop's Throat is Aquitted on All Charges

SeanTX
06-03-2014, 02:17 PM
My headline's wrong, she did cut his neck, she just didn't succeed in killing him, if that's what she wanted (no proof of such intent may be why she got off on the attempted murder charge, but doesn't explain getting off on agg assault).

I don't know what to think about this, just putting it out there. However, when I think of the Kelly Thomas verdict, etc, my give-a-f*** meter pegs near zero.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-slit-throat-aqcuitted-attempted-murder-article-1.1815198

Vermont woman shown on video cutting cop’s throat with knife acquitted of attempted murder
Jennifer Berube, 40, was caught on security cameras attacking Officer Damon Nguyen's with a knife during an arrest in Rutland in December 2012. She was acquitted of second-degree murder, as well as a lesser charge.
BY Philip Caulfield
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, June 3, 2014, 10:53 AM

A Vermont woman who sneaked up behind a police officer while under arrest and allegedly tried to slit his throat with a knife was found not guilty of attempted murder.

Jennifer Berube, 40, was acquitted of attempted second-degree murder and a lesser charge of attempted aggravated assault on Friday by a jury in Rutland, a city in western Vermont about 60 miles south of Burlington.

snip

Surveillance footage from inside the station house showed Berube grabbing Nguyen by the neck with a 2-inch blade in her hand before getting overpowered by several other officers.

Nguyen suffered a cut near his jugular vein and was treated at a hospital.

He has since recovered and was back on the job.

It took the 12-man jury less than two hours to acquit Berube.

snip

PaulConventionWV
06-03-2014, 02:39 PM
This is very strange. Very strange, indeed. I don't believe this has anything to do with police brutality or corruption, but it is very strange that she would be acquitted, especially since what she did really was wrong and against a legitimate law, and against an anointed one, no less. Methinks there must be something else going on here.

From the article: She apparently did it to try to get somebody to save her husband, who she thought was hanging himself in another cell. She's a RN.

It still seems strange that she would get off on all charges. The jury must have really felt sorry for her or something because she definitely assaulted someone, whether the intent was to kill or not.