PDA

View Full Version : Man Arrested For Boating While Intoxicated Fall Off Police Boat While Handcuffed, Drowns

SeanTX
06-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Thank god his benevolent protectors saved him from himself, otherwise he might have drowned! I doubt the life jacket was really on him, the cop probably just draped it over him and called it good (meanwhile, do that yourself and you're going to get a ticket).

Officer tried to save handcuffed Clive man who drowned
Regina Zilbermints, rzilbermin@dmreg.com 8:04 p.m. CDT June 2, 2014

How a life jacket came off of a Clive man who was handcuffed when he went off a police boat and drowned will be a key part of the Missouri Highway Patrol's investigation into the incident, officials said.

Brandon Ellingson, a 20-year-old Valley High School graduate and Arizona State University student, went into the water at the Lake of the Ozarks Saturday evening while being transported for a boating while intoxicated arrest. He stood up in the police boat and officials are still trying to determine whether he fell or jumped in the water.

His body was recovered Sunday morning, 80 feet under the water in the same spot where he went in, officials said.

The incident remains under investigation and the officer who arrested Ellingson is on paid administrative leave, which is standard policy for major incidents, said Missouri State Patrol Sgt. Paul Reinsch.

Missouri State Highway Patrol policies require anyone arrested to be placed in handcuffs and anyone being transported by boat to have a life vest on.

Ellingson was handcuffed behind his back, officials said. Reinsch said the trooper placed a standard "Level 3" life jacket – the type that resembles a vest and buckles three times in the front – on Ellingson. It came off in the water.

"That is a big part of our investigation," Reinsch said. "To determine how it came off after it was placed on him."

The officer jumped into the water and made several attempts to save Ellingson but couldn't reach him, Reinsch said.

snip
Ellingson was a 2012 graduate from Valley High School in West Des Moines, where he was on the honor roll, and studied business at Arizona State University. He was planning on working with his father at Glacier Properties in Clive after graduation, said his grandmother, Gloria Ellingson.
snip

Gloria Ellingson declined to discuss her grandson's death, saying the family may pursue a lawsuit. Reinsch said it will be a few days before a more detailed report of the incident is available.

limequat
06-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Thank god his benevolent protectors saved him from himself . I doubt the life jacket was really on him, the cop probably just draped it over him and called it good (meanwhile, do that yourself and you're going to get a ticket).

More likely, he was pushed into the water and the life jacket was thrown in after. Dead men tell no tales.

Anti Federalist
06-03-2014, 09:35 AM
The way things are going in Idiot AmeriKa, we'll be required to wear crash helmets and seat belts while being transported to the concentration camps.

SeanTX
06-03-2014, 09:48 AM
The way things are going in Idiot AmeriKa, we'll be required to wear crash helmets and seat belts while being transported to the concentration camps.

Except they will "forget" to button the chin straps on the helmets, and half-ass buckle the seat belts -- just going through the motions to pretend they are safeguarding the prisoners that they (of course) could care less about. Then when the bus or train crashes and the prisoners are all trapped and burned alive, they will say "the officers tried to save them!".

Just like I'm sure this boat cop didn't properly secure the guy's life vest -- it's no skin off his nose if some piece of trash prisoner falls in the water and drowns. It should be good for a nice paid vacation though -- before that they determine that the guy "jumped" and it's ruled a suicide.

tod evans
06-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Hoo Rah!

USA!

USA!

USA!

AuH20
06-03-2014, 11:03 AM
The perils of youth. Thinking that you're invincible.

surf
06-03-2014, 11:30 AM
as a boater and swimmer that only wears a (illegal) vest when wakeboarding, I have a tough time figuring out how this could happen, even if the officer didn't buckle him up.

speculating it was a fat cop that probably can't swim worth a shit.

Suzanimal
06-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Ellingson was handcuffed behind his back, officials said. Reinsch said the trooper placed a standard "Level 3" life jacket – the type that resembles a vest and buckles three times in the front – on Ellingson. It came off in the water.

Impossible, unless he was Houdini.

SeanTX
06-03-2014, 11:42 AM
The perils of youth. Thinking that you're invincible.

I think this has more to do with the perils of having a nanny state protect us.

I don't think it's a good idea to drink and drive a boat, but I'm sure this kid would still be alive right now if he hadn't had his life protected and served out of him. Most likely he would have finished up his day of boating without hurting himself or anyone else, and he would have went on to live his life.

It's quite possible that he wasn't even being reckless or endangering anyone else, they may have just boarded his boat for a random nanny inspection and smelled alcohol on his breath -- something that became a death sentence for him.

pcosmar
06-03-2014, 11:44 AM
His body was recovered Sunday morning, 80 feet under the water in the same spot where he went in,

Did the "life jacket" look anything like this?

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/26/97/99/0002269799422_300X300.jpg

tod evans
06-03-2014, 11:53 AM
There are cops patrolling the rivers too.

The days of a cooler full of beer and a leisurely float down the river are gone...

Thanks big-gov....:mad:

JK/SEA
06-03-2014, 11:57 AM
alrighty then...a new way to murder mundanes...uh...''thats what he gets for drinking alcohol, then drive a boat''...death sentence....hope thats clear enough....

Anti Federalist
06-03-2014, 12:13 PM
There are cops patrolling the rivers too.

The days of a cooler full of beer and a leisurely float down the river are gone...

Thanks big-gov....:mad:

They are everywhere.

Can't turn around without running into an "officer" of some sort or another.

Hike a hill? Park cops.
Waste time online? Internet cops.
Take a drive? Highway cops.
Fly off for vacation? Airport cops.
Do some fishing? Clam cops.
Cruise your boat? Marine cops.
Like to hunt? Game cops.
Take in some target shooting? Gun cops.
Do some home improvements? Code cops.
Maybe work at your business? Regulation cops.
Try to blow your brains out at the insanity of it all and fail? Hospital cops.

acptulsa
06-03-2014, 12:20 PM
He was wearing a vest type life jacket while his hands were cuffed behind his back and it came off?

Can we start a campaign to make it a criminal offense for government officials to insult our intelligence? I don't think a constitutional amendment to that effect would be too much to ask in a republic...

Philhelm
06-03-2014, 12:23 PM
They are everywhere.

Can't turn around without running into an "officer" of some sort or another.

Hike a hill? Park cops.
Waste time online? Internet cops.
Take a drive? Highway cops.
Fly off for vacation? Airport cops.
Do some fishing? Clam cops.
Cruise your boat? Marine cops.
Like to hunt? Game cops.
Take in some target shooting? Gun cops.
Do some home improvements? Code cops.
Maybe work at your business? Regulation cops.
Try to blow your brains out at the insanity of it all and fail? Hospital cops.

Too bad there aren't any (real) cop cops.

jtap
06-03-2014, 03:31 PM
His body was recovered Sunday morning, 80 feet under the water in the same spot where he went in,

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/26/97/99/0002269799422_300X300.jpg

I'm betting on a Danforth anchor over the mushroom.

Anti Federalist
06-03-2014, 08:50 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jtap again.

JK/SEA
06-03-2014, 08:52 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jtap again.

got it

specsaregood
06-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Silly girl, if handcuffed prisoners can pull out concealed guns on their person after being searched and put in the back of a squad car and use it to shoot themselves in the head then surely they can extricate themselves from a simple little life jacket.

aGameOfThrones
06-04-2014, 10:55 AM
You can still shoot yourself in the head while you are Handcuffed behind your back and after you were frisked. This is version 2.0.

coastie
06-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

I'm betting on a Danforth anchor over the mushroom.

In that depth of water, correct.

Mushrooms are good for rafts on lakes.

Anyway, as someone who is qualified to speak on such matters....the only way a Type 3 PFD "slipped" off of him is if it:

a: wasn't put on correctly, or

b: wasn't USCG approved device, or

c. all of the above.

My bet is on a.

bunklocoempire
06-04-2014, 05:27 PM
The Handbook of Missouri Boating Laws and Responsibilities

The Official Boating Handbook of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Water Patrol Division

Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)
http://www.boat-ed.com/missouri/handbook/page/40/Personal-Flotation-Devices-PFDs

All vessels 16 feet in length or longer must carry one wearable U.S. Coast Guard–approved PFD (life jacket) for each person on board or being towed. Vessels less than 16 feet in length must carry one wearable or one throwable USCG–approved PFD for each person on board or being towed. Under federal law, however, a wearable PFD is required for each person on board regardless of vessel length.

Children under 7 years of age must wear a USCG–approved PFD at all times while on board any vessel, unless the child is confined in a totally enclosed area of the vessel such as the cabin area of a houseboat or day-cruiser.

One USCG–approved Type IV personal flotation device must be on board vessels 16 feet or longer and readily accessible, in addition to the above requirements.

Each person riding on a PWC must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.

Besides being USCG–approved, all PFDs must be:
•In good and serviceable condition.
•Readily accessible, which means you are able to put the PFD on quickly in an emergency. PFDs may not be stowed in closed or locked compartments.
•Of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.

Because a 7 year old can't swim well? How about a guy in the "care of adults" with no use of his arms?

phill4paul
06-04-2014, 07:40 PM
You're insane if you ever let these idiots cuff and incarcerate you. I'd rather die fighting.

kcchiefs6465
06-04-2014, 07:44 PM
In that depth of water, correct.

Mushrooms are good for rafts on lakes.

Anyway, as someone who is qualified to speak on such matters....the only way a Type 3 PFD "slipped" off of him is if it:

a: wasn't put on correctly, or

b: wasn't USCG approved device, or

c. all of the above.

My bet is on a.
His hands were behind his back.

They wrapped the fucking thing around him.

End of that story.

Danke
06-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Thing have changed so much through the years? Are boating fatalities on the raise recently due to drunk boating?

I can see a little policing on busy waterways like some rivers.

But can I not now drink beer on a lake while fishing and peeing off the side of the boat? Fishing is just not that interesting in Northern Minnesota unless you are drinking.

Anti Federalist
06-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Thing have changed so much through the years? Are boating fatalities on the raise recently due to drunk boating?

I can see a little policing on busy waterways like some rivers.

But can I not now drink beer on a lake while fishing and peeing off the side of the boat? Fishing is just not that interesting in Northern Minnesota unless you are drinking.

No.

Just like in other areas, the rise of "copland" has little, if anything to do with public safety.

Accidents and fatalities remain roughly the same.

https://www.americanboating.org/images/2012table29.JPG

http://www.americanboating.org/boating_fatality.asp

limequat
06-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Thats a clear downward trend that our overlords are sure to take credit for.

'Course they won't be happy until we sit in front of the TV for 24 hrs straight because we're afraid to go outside. Oh wait...

Spikender
06-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Well, at least he wasn't shot.

That's a comforting thought... right?

limequat
06-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Well, at least he wasn't shot.

That's a comforting thought... right?

I think I'd rather be shot than trying to save my own life by swimming with my hands cuffed behind me while some porcine motherfucker looks on.
In fact, I think this is my new worst nightmare.

Spikender
06-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I think I'd rather be shot than trying to save my own life by swimming with my hands cuffed behind me while some porcine motherfucker looks on.
In fact, I think this is my new worst nightmare.

I wasn't talking about that scum who drowned.

I was talking about the brave officer who had to watch as that criminal committed suicide rather than face justice. Thank God the criminal didn't shoot himself in the back of the head and then drown himself, that would've been a double whammy and too much for that officer's innocent and heroic mind.