PDA

View Full Version : TX-Child forgets to close door, sets off alarm. Cops show up and shoot the family dog.

Anti Federalist
05-31-2014, 05:29 PM
Owners have questions after police shoot dog in home

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/05/30/owners-have-more-questions-after-dog-is-shot-in-their-home-by-round-rock-police/9797413/

Kris Betts, KVUE 11:25 p.m. CDT May 30, 2014

ROUND ROCK -- A family is mourning the death of their 8-year-old dog, after it was shot and killed by Round Rock Police officers inside their home on Friday morning.

According to Round Rock police, the officers were responding to a call from an alarm company informing them the home's security system had been activated.

Round Rock homeowner Hope Lane tells KVUE that their door had blown open after their young granddaughter left for school Friday morning and forgot to shut it all the way.

When police arrived at the home in the 1700 block of Parkside Circle, the front door was open. The officers went inside and shouted several verbal warnings.

While searching the home, they came across a 120 pound Rottweiler. Police considered the dog aggressive, and the dog made threatening actions towards the officers, police say.

One officer fired once, and another office fired six times. The dog was pronounced dead at the scene.

The dog, Bullet, was a gift to Lane from her husband eight years ago around Valentine's Day.

"Unfortunately we lost our dog, I want to say our son," said Lane.

When Lane arrived home to see what had happened, Bullet was gone.

"I thought my dog would still be there, I may have wanted to bury my dog in my backyard. Who told you to take my dog away?" she asked.

The blood had also been cleaned up by police.

"That tells me something is not right. Whatever's not right, I can't speculate what's not right, but something is truly not right," said Lane.

There are still two bullet holes in the wall and another bullet ripped through the futon Bullet slept on.

Lane says her dog has never acted aggressively.

"My dog is in his home, in his room, laying down chilling like he does. And he takes a long time, anybody can come in the house and be like 'I thought you had a dog?' and I do, but he's not an aggressive dog."

Bullet also had hip dysplasia and Lane says it was hard for him to get up quickly.

"He slept on the futon, so when he came down he had to get his little hips together."

Officers met with family Friday afternoon to explain what happened.

Now Lane and her family say they want to see change.

"I just hope and pray that the Round Rock Police Department looks into better training for the residents in the area that have dogs and have alarm systems."

Round Rock police are still investigating and would not appear on camera.

Occam's Banana
05-31-2014, 06:12 PM
[Police responded] to a call from an alarm company informing them the home's security system had been activated.

Round Rock homeowner Hope Lane [said] that their door had blown open after their young granddaughter left for school Friday morning and forgot to shut it all the way.

When police arrived at the [scene], the front door was open. The officers went inside and [...] came across [Bullet,] a 120 pound Rottweiler. Police considered the dog aggressive, and the dog made threatening actions towards the officers, police say.

One officer fired once, and another office fired six times. The dog was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hope Lane's granddaughter did this to Bullet ...

"The person I blame in this whole thing is the person selling the drugs who didn't shut the door," (Habersham County Sheriff Joey) Terrell Officer Friendly said. "Wanis Thonetheva Hope Lane's graddaughter, that's the person I blame in all this. They are no better than a domestic terrorist, because they don't care about families animals - they didn't care about the family animal, the children dog living in that household - to be selling dope out of it, to be selling methamphetamine out of it leaving the door unlocked like that. All they care about is making money going to school.

"They don't care about what it does to families animals," Terrell Friendly said. "It's domestic terrorism animal cruelty and I think we should treat them as such. I don't know where we can go with that, but that's my feelings on it. It just makes me so angry! I get so mad that they don't care about what they do, they don't care about the families or the people they're selling to animals or dogs."

Anti Federalist
05-31-2014, 06:15 PM

Compliance apparatuses cannot hurt anybody.

JK/SEA
05-31-2014, 06:21 PM
those alarms work pretty good.....

good job fellas.

Henry Rogue
05-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Should charge her with the animals death. She is like a "domestic terrorist", ya know.

Inkblots
05-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Home security! Peace of mind! Armed police response guaranteed!

... people actually pay for this "service"?

DamianTV
05-31-2014, 06:27 PM
There are still two bullet holes in the wall and another bullet ripped through the futon Bullet slept on.

They most likely shot the dog while it was sleeping. More evidence that cops make shit up to cover their own asses. Of course, not that the would be held accountable anyway... Procedure was followed: Enter Home, Shoot Suspect, Shoot Dog, File Paperwork.

Unaccountable Authority.

Anti Federalist
05-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Appreciate the comments...

Usually, these stories just die off anymore.

After all, dog killings by cops are pretty passé nowadays.

Hard to compete with chucking grenades at toddlers.

Inkblots
05-31-2014, 06:28 PM
They most likely shot the dog while it was sleeping. More evidence that cops make shit up to cover their own asses. Of course, not that the would be held accountable anyway... Procedure was followed: Enter Home, Shoot Suspect, Shoot Dog, File Paperwork.

Unaccountable Authority.

I still find it amazing that so many of our "brave" LEOs are such enormous pansies. "BIG SLEEPING DOG ohshitohshitoshit BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM. ... BLAM"

GunnyFreedom
05-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Questions. Why stop at questions? Why not at least move on to actual concerns...

Anti Federalist
05-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Questions. Why stop at questions? Why not at least move on to actual concerns...

Quite right.

I think they are concerned, and therefore have some questions.

Nothing a SWLOD can't solve.

Occam's Banana
05-31-2014, 06:40 PM

Toddlers ... dogs ... to-may-to ... to-mah-to ...

Henry Rogue
05-31-2014, 06:41 PM

Holy crap, I am in the presence of a Master Satirist.

Anti Federalist
05-31-2014, 07:09 PM
I still find it amazing that so many of our "brave" LEOs are such enormous pansies. "BIG SLEEPING DOG ohshitohshitoshit BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM. ... BLAM"

That's only part of it...they are "scared" because they have had it drummed into their heads that every one of us is "the enemy".

But the other part, the larger part, I think, is simply because they can.

They can light us up whenever and wherever and for whatever reason, or no reason at all, without any reasonable expection of accountability.

That includes wasting our pets.

SeanTX
06-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Hopefully the officers will both suffer from permanent hearing loss from firing so many shots inside a house (assuming this is a "bad shoot", as it sounds like it may well be).

Of course, the officer's accounts make it sound as if they were cornered by a vicious animal and had no other choice but to kill it -- but for some reason it's hard to take them at their word anymore. Especially when they do things to cover up evidence (like stealing the dog's carcass and cleaning up the blood).

If I had one of these alarm systems I'd set it up to where they call me first, instead of the police. Then I could decide whether I wanted to handle it myself , or (very hesitantly) call the police. At least if I called them myself I could explain that I had a dog inside the house or in the back yard, and hopefully that info would get passed on and then *maybe* the officers responding would show a little restraint (yes, I know, wishful thinking).

There have been cases where cops responding to burglar alarms have shot dogs that were in their own backyards, with the cop on the OTHER side of the fence, in no danger at all. Some of them shoot out of cowardice, and some shoot just because they know they can do whatever they want. And there are sometimes when it is justified, though those are much more rare than they would have you believe.

In any event, AF's "never call the police" applies --- or if you do, or have an "alarm service" do it for you -- don't be surprised if bad things happen. These "public servants" aren't accountable for anything (unless you decide to take care of that yourself). Maybe they will do the right thing, maybe they won't -- and if they don't it's "oh, well, sucks to be you!".

If you sign up for an alarm service you have to realize that anytime that alarm goes off you are giving armed .gov agents permission to come onto your property and do whatever they want to do, with no consequences whatsoever for them.

phill4paul
06-01-2014, 12:52 PM
The fact that someone installed an alarm in a household with an 120 pound Rottweiler says much about the dogs demeanor if you ask me.