PDA

View Full Version : John Boehner’s friends plot tea party crackdown

No1butPaul
05-29-2014, 07:39 PM
POLITICO:

A group of his closest allies — including fellow Ohio Republicans like Pat Tiberi — are discussing tactics such as trying to change GOP Conference rules to punish members who do not support the party’s nominee during a floor vote. A lawmaker who bucks the Republicans’ choice for speaker could lose committee assignments — or worse. Boehner’s allies have already stripped some Republicans of their committee assignments for straying too far from the team.

In a sign of force, some of Boehner’s friends are considering releasing a letter with the names of several dozen GOP lawmakers pledging to vote for no one else besides the speaker — making the election of a more conservative rival logistically impossible.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/john-boehner-allies-tea-party-107189.html?hp=f2

Mr.NoSmile
05-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Everyone always wants their person to win. Step out of line and you're a gorram turncoat. Pledges here sound like the unity slates. But at this point, Boehner has so much power that he'd easily get away with this.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2014, 08:14 PM
So Boehner, who regularly violates the Hastert (Party Unity) Rule, wants 100% Party compliance when it's his ego on the line? Hypocrisy from cry-baby Boehner? Who would have thought?

HOLLYWOOD
05-29-2014, 09:06 PM
GOPolitburo...

I wonder how Ronald Reagan felt in 1976 & 1980? There won't be any individualism in America! ...party unity before Constitution, no matter how corrupt!

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F_D2gocaxWXUg%2 FSqywjMFTwjI%2FAAAAAAAAAD8%2FwhXF0ot1jpY%2Fs400%2F politburo.bmp&f=1

jtap
05-30-2014, 07:11 AM
"friends", interesting choice of words. Does he really have any friends or just people he exchanges favours with at the taxpayer's expense?

nobody's_hero
05-30-2014, 07:38 AM
I hate to say this but:

Any chance our guys in Ohio would throw Boehner's re-election to the democrats? Take one for the team, so to speak. We've got to get that man out of office.

CaptUSA
05-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Any chance our guys in Ohio would throw Boehner's re-election to the democrats? Take one for the team, so to speak. We've got to get that man out of office.

Yeah, unfortunately, the problem is larger than just one person. This is a structural problem in the GOP. They have been fighting the democrats for power so long, that this is the only thing that matters to them. "If we just had more power, THEN we could do awesome stuff!" What they have forgotten is that you do awesome stuff first and the people will reward you with the power to do more awesome stuff.

I don't really see the benefit in cutting off our nose to spite our faces just to teach them a lesson. They're not going to learn the right lesson, anyway. They'll just work that much harder to keep us out of the party.

JK/SEA
05-30-2014, 08:40 AM
the terrorists are winning.

nobody's_hero
05-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, the problem is larger than just one person. This is a structural problem in the GOP. They have been fighting the democrats for power so long, that this is the only thing that matters to them. "If we just had more power, THEN we could do awesome stuff!" What they have forgotten is that you do awesome stuff first and the people will reward you with the power to do more awesome stuff.

I don't really see the benefit in cutting off our nose to spite our faces just to teach them a lesson. They're not going to learn the right lesson, anyway. They'll just work that much harder to keep us out of the party.

I don't know if it's possible to work any harder to keep us out. Unless they're gonna start summarily executing anyone who even poses a question to the current leadership.

I'm just gonna sit back and wait to see if any of the TP gets mad enough about the piss in their cheerios to rock the GOP's foundation. I really doubt that this country can be saved politically, but it's seeming even more farcical that it can be changed via the vehicle that is the GOP. If I were in the Tea Party, I'd be thinking long and hard about re-teaching the GOP the lesson they've forgotten since the 2010 tsunami that hit the House, which at the very least means staying home in November. The lesson is that the GOP needs small-gov't supporters more than small-gov't supporters need the GOP, if they want to win.