PDA

View Full Version : UCSB Student Arrested For Firing Gun in Isla Vista - 4 Days After Elliot Rodger Tragedy

dannno
05-29-2014, 10:55 AM
UCSB Student Arrested for Firing Gun in Isla Vista
Originally published 5:00 p.m., May 28, 2014
By Kelsey Brugger

Four days after 22-year-old Elliot Rodger shot and killed three people and injured several others on the streets of Isla Vista, authorities arrested a UCSB student for negligently firing his handgun in his Pardall Road apartment. Kevin Tym, 21, was arrested Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. He told deputies that he was playing with his handgun — a 9 mm Glock 17 — when he accidentally fired it through his neighbor’s wall.

The bullet went through a wall that connects two apartment units, deflected off a TV stand, and lodged into an adjacent wall, narrowly missing a person in the next unit. Authorities searched Tym’s apartment and found seven firearms and 1,000 rounds of ammunition. They also found high capacity assault rifle magazines. Authorities seized the firearms — which were all legally owned — ammunition, and magazines, and arrested Tym for negligently discharging a firearm and possessing high capacity magazines, which are illegal in California unless purchased before January 1, 2000. His bail is set at $2,500.

The incident occurred the same day that more than 20,000 people packed Harder Stadium for a memorial service, where one of the victims’ fathers, Richard Martinez, spoke out against gun violence and led students and attendees in a chant — “Not One More”— that has since gone viral throughout social media.

http://media.independent.com/img/photos/2014/05/28/10294461_822686307759037_7209645898785624073_n.jpg

This is weird. I mean, I'm sure there are always some amount of guns in IV, but for the most part nobody has them. I never saw a gun in the four years I was there or any time I have been there after. In fact, I don't think I've personally ever seen a gun in this entire county. IV and especially the surrounding area has an incredibly low violent crime rate and women have other options for protecting themselves such as pepper spray.

So while I'm not surprised that there are some amount of guns in IV, I am surprised this happened now, on the same day as the memorial of the Elliot Rodger shooting spree victims where they were calling for more gun control. Very suspicious.

Here's the thread about the Elliot Rodger mass shooting in IV:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?452727-Mass-Shooting-in-Isla-Vista-next-to-UCSB-Virgin-Shoots-Up-Sexually-Attractive

tod evans
05-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Outlaw apartments!

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2014, 11:35 AM
That is a bit strange for a college apartment. Two or three is normal (rifle, shotgun, pistol), especially at rural colleges, but seven?

First off, this would be an issue for the Apartment owner. It was an accident, but the owner would be well within their rights to take issue with it.

The charges by the Police are just trumped up nonsense. But considering recent events, if there is any real evidence that this guy may be a loon, then it might warrant further investigation. Is he under treatment? Taking any prescription drugs for mental illness? Then get a warrant. And it should not be a fishing expedition! No more trumped up charges because a dried up mushroom is found under the bed.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Philhelm
05-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Two or three is normal (rifle, shotgun, pistol), especially at rural colleges, but seven?

Maybe he's a forum member? :toady:

phill4paul
05-29-2014, 12:01 PM
There are many videos in which Police Officers "accidentally" discharge their weapons. I've never heard of one of them being charged with negligently firing their weapons.

Brian4Liberty
05-29-2014, 12:36 PM
There are many videos in which Police Officers "accidentally" discharge their weapons. I've never heard of one of them being charged with negligently firing their weapons.

Who said that? Was that a mundane? There are trumped up charges just waiting for you too, peon.

dannno
05-29-2014, 02:58 PM
A house about a mile or two from Isla Vista near a school just got Swatted

www.independent.com/news/2014/may/29/shooting-noleta-school-lockdown/

Possible Shooting in Noleta, School on Lockdown

Details emerging; students safe at Vieja Valley.

[UPDATE: 1:40 P.M.]

“It’s an incredibly cruel trick to play, especially in light of what our community has been through,” said Kelly Hoover, spokesperson for Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office, of the hoax call claiming a family had been killed in Noleta. The call, which came from a 661 area code at 11:30 a.m., is being investigated, she said, and was made by a male caller to an officer at his desk.

Reverse 9-1-1 calls to immediate neighbors told them to stay inside, and Vieja Valley Elementary School and the Learning Center were placed on lockdown for the duration. San Marcos High School, deemed far away enough, remained open.

ORIGINAL STORY

Authorities are investigating a potential murder in the Noleta area between Goleta and Santa Barbara, where a man called to report that he had murdered his wife and children and was planning to kill himself.

The incident is said to be occurring on the 300 block of Arroyo Road. Sheriff’s deputies are actively looking for the suspect.

The nearby Vieja Valley school is on lockdown, with students and teachers reportedly safe inside. Parents have been asked to stay out of the area until the incident is cleared.

Anti Federalist
05-29-2014, 03:09 PM
A house about a mile or two from Isla Vista near a school just got Swatted

www.independent.com/news/2014/may/29/shooting-noleta-school-lockdown/

"You see?? If you civilians didn't have guns, we wouldn't have to do all this!" - Officer Friendly

dannno
05-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Kinda scary being in a town that has been seemingly false flagged 4 times in the last month.

-Isla Vista Riots
-Elliot Rodger Shooting Spree
-UCSB Student "accidentally" fires off live round, officers find huge weapon stockpile
-Family gets Swatted nearby next to a school