PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Cops suing DOJ...Breaking News...

JK/SEA
05-28-2014, 06:02 PM
SEATTLE — More than 100 Seattle police officers have filed a private lawsuit in federal court against the U.S. Justice Department and Seattle city officials, alleging use-of-force policies instituted as part of a federal court consent degree endanger them, it was confirmed Wednesday.

The Seattle Times first broke the story.

Defendants in the U.S. District Court suit include Attorney General Eric Holder, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes, the Seattle police chief, and federal monitor Merrick Bobb.

“Defendants have promulgated and imposed new use of force (UF) policies and practices in reckless and deliberate indifference to the protections afforded plaintiffs by the Constitution,” the pro se suit says.

“The UF policies and practices unreasonably restrict and burden plaintiffs right to use force reasonably required, to protect themselves and others, from apparent harm and danger in violation of the Second, Fourth, Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments of the Constitution,” it reads.

The suit seeks an immediate injunction against the use-of-force policies that went into effect Jan. 1, and seeks unspecified punitive damages “based on Defendants misinformation about and ungrounded maligning of, the good work of the SPD’s patrol officers…”
In an exclusive interview on Q13 FOX News, Mayor Ed Murray said he had just learned of the suit and had no comment on it. But then added, “The Justice Department and the federal courts say we need to deal with issues of use of force as well as other issues in our police department. We are under a federally mandated court order. We will follow that court order. We will fulfill that court order. We will not fight the Justice Department and we will not fight the federal government. This is not the 1960s.”

Asked if the new use of force policies are making police officers’ job tougher, Murray said there “are probably issues that need to be worked out,” as there is with the implementation of any new policy. “The issue that we’re going to change it is not up for debate,” Murray said.

This is a breaking story and will be updated as soon as more information becomes available.

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2014/05/28/seattle-police-officers-file-suit-against-doj-city-officials-over-use-of-force-policies/#ixzz333fODbT7

JK/SEA
05-28-2014, 06:06 PM
meanwhile....

SEATTLE — Lawyers for Dustin Theoharis, an Auburn man who was shot 16 times in his bed by a sheriff’s deputy and a DOC officer, say they are filing a $20 million lawsuit against the state Department of Corrections.

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2013/07/10/shot-16-times-innocent-man-files-20-million-suit/#ixzz333ghau6m

DamianTV
05-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Nobody forced them to become Cops.

HOLLYWOOD
05-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Oh that's so synonymous with government, esp. the JUST US department...

Use of Force...

aka

Green Light to forced brutally and even death upon the American taxpaying slaves.

We all know the other half of this story... big fat paychecks, benefits, and retirements, it's so lucrative that you must stay onboard for the duration to maximized the riches.

Government the privileged class

Occam's Banana
05-28-2014, 06:47 PM
“The [use of force] policies and practices unreasonably restrict and burden plaintiffs right to use force reasonably required, to protect themselves and others, from apparent harm and danger in violation of the Second, Fourth, Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments of the Constitution,” [the suit] reads.

Oh, that's just rich ...

meanwhile....

SEATTLE — Lawyers for Dustin Theoharis, an Auburn man who was shot 16 times in his bed by a sheriff’s deputy and a DOC officer, say they are filing a $20 million lawsuit against the state Department of Corrections.

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2013/07/10/shot-16-times-innocent-man-files-20-million-suit/#ixzz333ghau6m

Sorry! No Second, Fourth, Fifth or Fourteenth Amendment rights for YOU, mundane!!

aGameOfThrones
05-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Anyone want any Brawndo?

Henry Rogue
05-28-2014, 06:55 PM
New protocol infringes on their Constitutional right to abduct, torture and murder.

Henry Rogue
05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Anyone want any Brawndo?
It's got what plants need.

acptulsa
05-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Well, regardless of what certain King County deputies and jailers are up to, this suit by Seattle city cops is beautiful. It looks to expose the Constitutional violations that the federal government is forcing localities to commit, and that makes it one of the strongest Ninth and/or Tenth Amendment cases I've heard tell of in a long, long time.

This is an action to watch! I'm into it.

surf
05-28-2014, 07:20 PM
see the whittler....

they are ignoring weed though.

FindLiberty
05-28-2014, 08:55 PM
The O.P. was never really about the good guys versus the bad guys, or even the bad guys versus the good guys, it's just all bad...

We're the only good ones!

P3ter_Griffin
05-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Well, regardless of what certain King County deputies and jailers are up to, this suit by Seattle city cops is beautiful. It looks to expose the Constitutional violations that the federal government is forcing localities to commit, and that makes it one of the strongest Ninth and/or Tenth Amendment cases I've heard tell of in a long, long time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding it. The way it reads to me is that they are suing because the feds provided more restrictions on their (the Seattle PD's) use of force, presumably opening to door to more lawsuits or other legal action against the PD in instances of force.

fisharmor
05-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding it. The way it reads to me is that they are suing because the feds provided more restrictions on their (the Seattle PD's) use of force, presumably opening to door to more lawsuits or other legal action against the PD in instances of force.

That is also what I ultimately got out of it.
I had trouble with the first part of it: it does kind of sound like the way acptulsa took it.
However, if you remember the indisputable fact that there isn't a single decent cop in the entire country, that they're all on war footing, and THEN read it, then yeah, it shows that they're filing suit to be able to knock heads.

Henry Rogue
05-28-2014, 09:32 PM

I read through the complaint. I wonder why the police union lawyers didn't include the Ninth or Tenth Amendments in the complaint. Seems the only time government, federal, local or otherwise pays any attention to the Constitution is when it is in the interests of those who prey on society.

Anti Federalist
05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
“The UF policies and practices unreasonably restrict and burden plaintiffs right to use force reasonably required, to protect themselves and others, from apparent harm and danger in violation of the Second, Fourth, Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments of the Constitution,” it reads.

I'll remember that the next time some inncoent person is SWAT raided, has their blood forcibly taken, has their home ransacked, has no warrant shown to them, has their possessions "forfeited", has their head caved in from a beating, has their pet killed and is shot 377 times.

Henry Rogue
05-28-2014, 11:05 PM
I'll remember that the next time some inncoent person is SWAT raided, has their blood forcibly taken, has their home ransacked, has no warrant shown to them, has their possessions "forfeited", has their head caved in from a beating, has their pet killed and is shot 377 times.
F'ing A right.

coastie
05-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Nobody forced them to become Cops.

Nor did anyone force them carry out the use of force policy to the "t".

They have no case.

ETA:

I must be tired, looks like they're complaining the new policy restricts them somehow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6TCtKBhBxA

JK/SEA
05-29-2014, 07:43 AM
uhhhh....did i just see the word CUNT before the Union reps name in that vid?....yes...yes i did...

phill4paul
10-24-2014, 04:08 PM
UPDATE:

Well, 125 of those police officers affected by these new policies were not happy with this compromise. They brought a lawsuit (civil rights complaint) against Attorney General Eric Holder, the city of Seattle, the Mayor, their Police Chief, the city attorney, and the Police monitor. In it they say the policies violate their constitutional rights guaranteed by the Second, Fourth, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments.

The good news is it was just thrown out of court. With "prejudice." Follow me below the fold to read some highlights from Chief U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman's denial of their case.

The officers' arguments were unsupported by the Constitution or case law, Chief U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman said in an opinion issued Monday.
The Seattle Police Department adopted a new policy concerning the use of force under a 2012 settlement agreement with the U.S. Justice Department, which found that Seattle police routinely used excessive force, especially in low-level situations that might otherwise have been defused.

"It would be at least surprising if allegations of such a pattern or practice did not lead to the adoption of stricter standards for use of force by officers," Pechman wrote.

Think Progress also notes that the 125 officers:
They represent about ten percent of the Seattle Police Officers’ Guild membership. The police union itself declined to endorse the lawsuit.

Pechman dismissed the case "with prejudice, which means that the officers cannot amend or refile their claim.

A few more highlights:
The judge also dismissed the officers’ constitutional arguments, saying that while the Second Amendment ensures the right to keep and bear arms, it doesn’t protect the right to use the weapons.
Nor did she agree with the officers’ insistence that the policy violated a “right of self-defense as embedded in the Fourth Amendment,” which protects against unreasonable search and seizures. Pechman said the argument grossly misconstrued Fourth Amendment law.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/23/1338625/-Seattle-cops-trying-to-sue-for-their-constitutional-right-to-use-excessive-force#

dannno
10-24-2014, 04:22 PM
We will not fight the Justice Department and we will not fight the federal government. This is not the 1960s.

okkk....