PDA

View Full Version : CA-Man receiving poor treatment at VA hospital tries to leave. Cops beat him to death.

Anti Federalist
05-27-2014, 02:23 AM
Widow Claims Veterans' Hospital Police Beat Her Husband to Death

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/05/25/68182.htm

By ROBERT KAHN

SANTA ANA, Calif. (CN) - After waiting for 4 hours for dialysis with a shunt in his arm, a veteran told a Veterans Administration hospital he was leaving, whereupon VA police beat the hell out of him and stomped on his carotid artery, giving him a stroke that killed him, and they lied to his wife about it, the widow claims in court.

Norma Montano sued the United States of America in Federal Court, for the death of her husband of 44 years, Jonathan Montano. The Montanos' son and daughter also are plaintiffs.

The lawsuit comes as veterans hospitals nationwide are under investigation for lying about wait times to which they subjected patients. News reports have not yet linked the long waits to any deaths. Norma Montano does not attribute her husband's death to the long wait, but to the needless beating.

Jonathan Montano died on June 11, 2011, after VA police brutalized him at the VA hospital in Loma Linda on May 25 that year, his widow claims in the lawsuit.

Jonathan, who was 65, had a shunt put in his arm by the VA hospital staff that day, and waited with his wife for treatment "for approximately four hours, without being treated," Norma Montano says in the complaint.

"This greatly frustrated Jonathan Montano, who then decided that he didn't want to wait any longer at the VA Hospital in Loma Linda and decided to leave the hospital and to go to the VA Hospital in Long Beach," the complaint states.

Jonathan told his wife to get the car to take him to Long Beach. As she went to get it, her husband "was told by the nursing staff not to leave the hospital," the complaint states.

It continues: "Jonathan Montana told the nurse that he was leaving and was going to the VA Hospital in Long Beach, California, [and that] he wanted to leave the needle apparatus in his arm, so they wouldn't have to put a new one in at the Long Beach VA Hospital.

"In response to Jonathan Montano's attempt to leave the VA Hospital in Loma Linda, California, the nursing staff called VA Police Department to stop Jonathan Montano from leaving the hospital.

"The summoned VA Police Department police officers then stopped Jonathan Montano from leaving the VA Hospital in Loma Linda, by tackling him to the floor, slamming his head on the floor, and kneeing and stomping on his neck, and otherwise brutalizing and restraining him.

"This kneeing and stomping on his neck by the VA Police Department police officers caused the dissection of his carotid artery, that resulted in immediate (or very soon thereafter) blood clotting, which resulted in [his] suffering a stroke. Moreover, the brutalization of Jonathan Montano resulted in him suffering other serious physical injuries, and associated physical, mental and emotional pain, suffering and distress." (Parentheses in complaint.)

Norma Montano, wondering why her husband had not come to the car, went inside to look for him. Inside the hospital, she says, "she was told by a member of the nursing staff that Jonathan Montano suffered a stroke," and was in the emergency department.

When she sought him there, "she was told by the emergency room doctor that her husband had fallen down and suffered a stroke, an untrue statement," she says in the complaint.

It continues: "Later on, one of the nurses at the VA Hospital in Loma Linda took Norma Montano aside, and told her that her husband didn't fall, but was slammed to the ground by the VA Police, that Norma Montano was being lied to, and that it wasn't right what the VA Police did to Jonathan Montano.

"On June 11, 2011, Jonathan Montano died from the stroke(s) that he suffered from being slammed to the floor and having his neck stomped on / pinned to the floor at the VA Hospital in Loma Linda on May 25, 2011."

She claims the VA police brutalized her husband without any reasonable suspicion that there was "criminality afoot" or that he had committed a crime.

She seeks damages and punitive damages for wrongful death, assault and battery, false imprisonment, constitutional violations, negligence, loss of consortium and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

DamianTV
05-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Illness is a crime. Being a Vet is a crime. Trying to decline shitty medical services for being shitty is a crime. What exists today terrifies me. What will exist tomorrow I lack a sufficient word to describe it.

Ten bucks says the Officers will not be held accountable.

Unaccountable Authority.

DamianTV
05-27-2014, 04:21 AM
<double post>

tod evans
05-27-2014, 05:05 AM
USA

USA

USA

Czolgosz
05-27-2014, 05:15 AM
His master put him down. This is a nonstory in Human history. Next.

moostraks
05-27-2014, 05:27 AM
So lesson to be learned, hospital owns patients when they enlist their services and there are serious consequences for refusal of service at that point? And to think some of us were infuriated by the website that sued for bad reviews.

It's like some violent form of contract enforcement.

DamianTV
05-27-2014, 05:36 AM
So lesson to be learned, hospital owns patients when they enlist their services and there are serious consequences for refusal of service at that point? And to think some of us were infuriated by the website that sued for bad reviews.

It's like some violent form of contract enforcement.

Contract Law supercedes Human Rights.

mrsat_98
05-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Illness is a crime. Being a Vet is a crime. Trying to decline shitty medical services for being shitty is a crime. What exists today terrifies me. What will exist tomorrow I lack a sufficient word to describe it.

Ten bucks says the Officers will not be held accountable.

Unaccountable Authority.

You listed no crimes but they all constitute probable cause.

http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/programevaluation/files/2012/02/hammer-and-nail-2.jpg

phill4paul
05-27-2014, 05:51 AM
TIL: That even the VA has it's own murder squad. SMDH.

amy31416
05-27-2014, 06:18 AM
I hope they sue the shit out of the nurse who called them too.

DamianTV
05-27-2014, 06:23 AM

Ditto. So much for "Do no harm". I swear every day modern medicine seems hell bent on doing as much harm as possible. Dont even get me started on the cops. "Oh he wants to leave? Tough! Thats his choice! Sir, if you need us to protect you from them, feel free to ask."

The thing most people dont get about calling the Cops is that the Cops leave when the Cops are damn good and ready to leave, not when anyone wants them to go. Advice: appear boring.

Thor
05-27-2014, 06:37 AM
ObamaCare....

https://i.imgur.com/TKg8Hr6.jpg

phill4paul
05-27-2014, 06:52 AM
Enhanced methodology and incident solutions (including advanced interpersonal communication, conflict resolution, and problem solving skills) are required by their officers to be successful; as in addition to the full range of incidents and calls for service one might normally associate with police work, the VA Police also often encounter trained military veterans suffering from medical and psychological traumas. Beyond normal law enforcement contact with the general public, VA Police officers also work in an environment which includes an extremely high percentage of individuals (to include patients and even other VA employees) who are military trained veterans (with an increasingly large number of individuals who are returning combat veterans).

The agency's motto is "Protecting Those Who Served".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Veterans_Affairs_Polic e

tod evans
05-27-2014, 07:01 AM
I was stationed at NRMCGLAKES (navy hospital) and as one who's worked in that environment I find the behavior off all staff abhorrent.

Everyone involved needs strung up....:mad:

oyarde
05-27-2014, 08:07 AM

I hope so too .

oyarde
05-27-2014, 08:08 AM
I was stationed at NRMCGLAKES (navy hospital) and as one who's worked in that environment I find the behavior off all staff abhorrent.

Everyone involved needs strung up....:mad: Yep.

JK/SEA
05-27-2014, 08:43 AM
those bastards better have told him 'thanks for your service'. before he died...

ChristianAnarchist
05-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Another terrorist bites the dust!!!

Anti Federalist
05-27-2014, 10:22 AM
////

Brian4Liberty
05-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Airports, hospitals, prisons...there seems to be a pattern there.

tod evans
05-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Airports, hospitals, prisons...there seems to be a pattern there.

Everything government gets involved in.....................

Cissy
05-27-2014, 12:42 PM
those bastards better have told him 'thanks for your service'. before he died...

Carter, is that you?

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Carter

Henry Rogue
05-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Someday I will log on to RPFs and find a news story about the VA acquiring SWAT teams and MRAPs.

Anti Federalist
05-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Someday I will log on to RPFs and find a news story about the VA acquiring SWAT teams and MRAPs.

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/vapolice/page22.html

tod evans
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM

Fie! :mad:

Cissy
05-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Carter, is that you?

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Carter

Found the video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fl4ClB6dGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fl4ClB6dGE

Anti Federalist
05-27-2014, 09:35 PM

What branch of government doesn't anymore?

Out on the water, I can't keep track of all the LEO boats, hut hutting around (at full speed burning huge amounts of fuel of course) anymore.

Just this weekend..."Memorial Day"...on Sunday and Monday I observed the following, one or more, in two 12 hour periods:

USCG cop boats.
State cop boats.
Parish cop boats.
Local cop boats.
Harbor cop boats.
Game warden or "clam cop" boats.
Homeland Security cop boats.
ICE cop boats.

And one, that was obviously some sort of "authority", gray go fast hull, about 32 feet long, blue lights, 800 hp of taxpayer funded Mercury horsepower on the stern, and three goons dressed up in SWAT gear and camo, but I could not, for the life of me, identify what brand of asshole water cops those guys were.

Henry Rogue
05-27-2014, 09:47 PM
That didn't take long.

phill4paul
05-27-2014, 09:54 PM

Out on the water, I can't keep track of all the LEO boats, hut hutting around (at full speed burning huge amounts of fuel of course) anymore.

Just this weekend..."Memorial Day"...on Sunday and Monday I observed the following, one or more, in two 12 hour periods:

USCG cop boats.
State cop boats.
Parish cop boats.
Local cop boats.
Harbor cop boats.
ICE cop boats.

And one, that was obviously some sort of "authority", gray go fast hull, about 32 feet long, blue lights, 800 hp of taxpayer funded Mercury horsepower on the stern, and three goons dressed up in SWAT gear and camo, but I could not, for the life of me, identify what brand of asshole water cops those guys were.

Well, it is good and past time. On land and sea. And every one around doesn't even speak of rebellion. They have no clue. There is no comparison now for what transpired at our nations founding. Those that first came and their children realized freedom. Liberty. Apart from an enemy to that on another shore. No more. No more. We are well an truly fucked. Best just to lay low and live our lives. Even the children are a part of it. SMDH.

Mani
05-27-2014, 09:55 PM

USCG cop boats.
State cop boats.
Parish cop boats.
Local cop boats.
Harbor cop boats.
ICE cop boats.

Probably one of those NEW alphabets.

I'd never heard of BLM before so maybe they were BWM (Bureau of Water Management...).

Well I'm glad the VA was able to reduce their wait list...One by One...just stomp on enough necks and the list will begin to shrink and everyone in Washington can take credit for solving the VA wait list problem.

Henry Rogue
05-27-2014, 10:00 PM

I'd never heard of BLM before so maybe they were BWM (Bureau of Water Management...).

Well I'm glad the VA was able to reduce their wait list...One by One...just stomp on enough necks and the list will begin to shrink and everyone in Washington can take credit for solving the VA wait list problem.

My guess is EPA out hunting carbon offenders. Wouldn't that be ironic? Blowing through the fuel with those 800 ponies.

kcchiefs6465
05-28-2014, 01:21 AM

The BLM has been fucking people for quite some time. The General Land Office was giving away prime estate for worthless plots in the early 1900's. Their entire history has been corruption, bureaucratic mismanagement, and fraud. They are one of those agencies where generally speaking, only those who get pillaged by them knows their name. 264,000,000 acres of land is an absurd figure.

Most likely, if I had to guess, it was the Fish and Wildlife Service. They do have their own SWAT team. Or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and/or National Marine Fisheries Service.

Being short on Honduran regulations regarding lobster length is a serious offense. Seriously. (and the case is much more than simply that)

They're fucking fascists.

WASHINGTON — When his Caribbean Clipper chugged into an Alabama port with a shipment of Honduran lobsters, David Henson McNab never could have imagined the magnitude of crimes that federal prosecutors would accuse him of committing.

Some of McNab's lobsters were too small, prosecutors said, and all had been packed in plastic bags instead of the cardboard boxes required under Honduran fishing regulations. Viewing the shipment as an illegal import, they prosecuted McNab, a Honduran, under some of the toughest statutes in U.S. criminal law.

Although high-ranking officials in the Honduran government would insist that McNab, 52, had done no wrong, he was convicted in federal court in 2000 of money laundering and conspiracy and sentenced to 8 years in federal prison. He is jailed in Arkansas.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-02-08/news/0402080256_1_justices-honduran-supreme-court

kcchiefs6465
05-28-2014, 01:29 AM
So as it turns out, even the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has its own SWAT team.

You don't need to know. You can't know." That's what Kathy Norris, a 60-year-old grandmother of eight, was told when she tried to ask court officials why, the day before, federal agents had subjected her home to a furious search.

The agents who spent half a day ransacking Mrs. Norris' longtime home in Spring, Texas, answered no questions while they emptied file cabinets, pulled books off shelves, rifled through drawers and closets, and threw the contents on the floor.

The six agents, wearing SWAT gear and carrying weapons, were with - get this- the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Kathy and George Norris lived under the specter of a covert government investigation for almost six months before the government unsealed a secret indictment and revealed why the Fish and Wildlife Service had treated their family home as if it were a training base for suspected terrorists. Orchids.

That's right. Orchids.

By March 2004, federal prosecutors were well on their way to turning 66-year-old retiree George Norris into an inmate in a federal penitentiary - based on his home-based business of cultivating, importing and selling orchids..

Mr. Norris ended up spending almost two years in prison because he didn't have the proper paperwork for some of the many orchids he imported. The orchids were all legal - but Mr. Norris and the overseas shippers who had packaged the flowers had failed to properly navigate the many, often irrational, paperwork requirements the U.S. imposed when it implemented an arcane international treaty's new restrictions on trade in flowers and other flora.

The judge who sentenced Mr. Norris had some advice for him and his wife: "Life sometimes presents us with lemons." Their job was, yes, to "turn lemons into lemonade."

Or just wait for the inevitable SWAT team to come and smash them for you.
http://reason.com/blog/2009/10/05/federal-swat-raid-over-orchids

Millions of dollars on some goddamn orchid investigation.

Mani
05-28-2014, 03:33 AM
http://reason.com/blog/2009/10/05/federal-swat-raid-over-orchids

Millions of dollars on some goddamn orchid investigation.

Well I'm glad they kept us safe...From Orchids...:confused: :eek:

Anti Federalist
05-28-2014, 08:54 AM
The judge who sentenced Mr. Norris had some advice for him and his wife: "Life sometimes presents us with lemons." Their job was, yes, to "turn lemons into lemonade."

A polite form of "Fuck You, that's why".

If there was any justice to be had in the land...

phill4paul
06-04-2014, 08:49 PM
http://www.policestateusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Jonathan-Montano.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2013/04/19/hi-thank-you-rtxysxf.jpg

phill4paul
06-04-2014, 08:53 PM
http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/jonathan-montano/#prettyPhoto

LOMA LINDA, CA — When a 65-year-old veteran tried to discharge himself from a VA hospital, he received a fatal beating from police, his widow alleges in a federal lawsuit.

Jonathan Montano, 65, survived the Vietnam War, but he did not survive the Department of Veterans Affairs. His widow, Norma Montano, has come forth with a complaint against the VA describing how beating by police caused him to die an untimely death.

Mr. Montano was a dialysis patient who sought care at the VA hospital in Loma Linda, California. However, the long wait times proved impossible for him to endure. On May 25th, 2011, After waiting 4 hours without receiving his treatment, he became “frustrated” and “decided to leave the hospital and to go to the VA Hospital in Long Beach,” the complaint states.

As Norma went to fetch the car, Mr. Montano was told by nurses that he may not leave. Hospital staff summoned the on-site enforcers from the Department of Veterans Affairs Police Department. They were told to physically prevent him from leaving.

A few minutes later, when Norma returned, she discovered her husband was bruised and bloodied. A staff member held up her arms and said, “all I know is he fell and had a stroke,” Norma recalled.

But Norma remained suspicious about how one fall could have caused so many cuts and bruises. The next day, a different nurse told Norma what really happened. According to the account, police threw Mr. Montano to the floor when he insisted on leaving. Five officers violently restrained him. During the scuffle, Montano’s head struck the floor.

“‘I’m the one who cleaned all the blood off of his face,” the nurse confessed to Norma. The nurse’s version of events directly contradicted what Norma had been told earlier.

“Why are they lying? What are they covering up?” asked Norma Montano to KTTV. “All these bruises, cuts. That wasn’t from the fall.”

Mr. Montano was in no condition to explain what happened. He struggled to survive for the next 2 weeks. On June 11, 2011, he succumbed to his injuries. Norma became a widow after 44 years of marriage.

Attorney Jerry Steering explained Mr. Montano’s injuries after an autopsy had been performed: “Somebody put enough pressure on the left side of his neck to crush the inside part of the carotid artery. It broke off into little pieces, and formed the blood clot, that formed the stroke, that killed Mr. Montano.”

A federal lawsuit was filed in May 2014. It alleged that police assaulted Montano by “tackling him to the floor, slamming his head on the floor, and kneeing and stomping on his neck, and otherwise brutalizing and restraining him.”

The agency investigated itself and declared itself clear of wrongdoing. The $18 million lawsuit seeks to send a message to the VA and compensate the family for their loss.

With the recent VA scandal involving the agency’s infamously long waiting lists, it seems that if the treatment delays don’t kill the veterans, the VA police just might.