PDA

View Full Version : Blimp Artwork

leipo
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
*Please do not move this to the Blimp forum as this needs some serious attention, IMO.*

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/BostonRevolution.jpg
http://ronpaulideas.com/images/BostonWhois.jpg

This is the final design of the blimp and i don't like it at all.
The artwork contest was conducted in timespan of 2 days(!!) with a grand total of 5 submissions (of which 3 were one minute MSPaint jobs). I think we can do better than that. I'm not a graphic artist but i assume there are more than 2 people on here who'd like to submit something. So that's why i'm posting this in the main forum.

Some critiques: First, there is no indication that Ron Paul is running for President(?).
Then there is no mention of any of his stanches that sets him apart from the rest and which might attract unlikely voters.
The "Who is Ron Paul" is not very effective anymore, IMO. And seeing Google on the same side might give people the impression he's the new CEO of Google or something.
And lastly, "Google" is not a common verb among non-internet users (isn't this our main target group?).

paulpwns
12-01-2007, 11:39 AM
these suck..

I thought the blimp was stupid before, now its just retarded

fletcher
12-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Not to mention that the Ron Paul Revolution isn't very effective either. After a friend saw my Ron Paul sticker on my car they told me they had seen a revolution sign on an overpass on the interstate. They thought is was a WWF thing.

Naraku
How many people are going to try and read a blimp? Many people will know and those who don't will be intrigued and confused!

That's the point!

leipo
Also, the bottom is not being used for advertisement as far as i understand.

http://nnsw.com.au/inverell/images/blimp01.jpg

twdahm
12-01-2007, 11:57 AM
not thrilled with these, tell me what you guys want it to say and i wll design something for you....

foofighter20x
12-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Sorry... Blimp stuff goes in the blimp forum so your threads don't get filled with detractor's comments (unless they go into the blimp forum themselves to be mean)...

*move thread*

leipo
12-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry... Blimp stuff goes in the blimp forum so your threads don't get filled with detractor's comments (unless they go into the blimp forum themselves to be mean)...

*move thread*

Well, one of the reasons the artwork contest only got 2 serious submissions is that not that many people browse the blimp forum (or know it exists).

GoSlash27
12-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Having voted "no", I think it's important to keep in mind that the artwork is already being prepped and it's almost certainly too late to change it now without jeopardizing the entire project.
I'm not happy with the art, but I'd rather have that floating over Boston on the 16th than nothing at all.

My $0.00001 (adjusted for inflation)

Mastiff
12-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't know anyone (out here in the real world) who really likes the Re-LOVE-ution thing. Maybe it's just the crowd I hang around in, but it's a turn-off to those who associate with some retro-hippie thing or something. Given that, why not pick something half the people don't dislike?

I guess it's too late, but I also think it should say "President 2008" and "Republican" somewhere. Don't underestimate how tuned out people are.

Wolfgang Bohringer
12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm not donating any more unless they paint over the "Who is?" before its launched.

I was one of the first $25 donations last night when the site went up, but my blimp enthusiasm has been punctured and is deflating rapidly.

LeeRP
12-01-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't know anyone (out here in the real world) who really likes the Re-LOVE-ution thing. Maybe it's just the crowd I hang around in, but it's a turn-off to those who associate with some retro-hippie thing or something. Given that, why not pick something half the people don't dislike?

I guess it's too late, but I also think it should say "President 2008" and "Republican" somewhere. Don't underestimate how tuned out people are.

If you haven't noticed the majority of the Republican Party is hated

Kalash
12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I think it's staying as is for now.

As for changing the artwork - after a month...
That shouldn't be too huge of an issue.

We need to let it ride for now.

For another month, the whole, "Who is" thing could work.

After the thing flies over NYC on new years - we'll need something fresh.

Get started on new designs - and as a new years present - we'll see about getting ourselves either A) a new blimp or B) a new blimp coverart.

leipo
12-01-2007, 03:04 PM
I think it's staying as is for now.

As for changing the artwork - after a month...
That shouldn't be too huge of an issue.

We need to let it ride for now.

I guess that's a good compromise for all the people who don't like the current design/wording.

michael.byrne
12-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Check the Message/Artwork session
http://ronpaulblimp.com/Message.php

It's utterly nonsense IMHO. When did those guys decide something important as the messages without going through a voting process? Seems like a top-down approach to me.

leipo
12-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Check the Message/Artwork session
http://ronpaulblimp.com/Message.php

It's utterly nonsense IMHO. When did those guy decide something important as the messages without going through voting process? Seems like a top-down approach to me.

I don't understand that either. Big mistake, IMO.

Hook
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Well, if they don't change their graphics to something like what was promised before, they ain't gonna get half of the pledges.
Maybe they better take that into consideration before they get started.

Wolfgang Bohringer
12-01-2007, 03:33 PM
They're not getting any more from me until they chip off that ridiculous "Who is?" that looks like it was penciled in afterwards anyways.

seapilot
12-01-2007, 03:48 PM
What happend to the one with the red strips on the bottom that said Ron Paul For president? Thought that one won the contest? That looked pretty sharp IMO.

jrich4rpaul
12-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm saying this in every thread...

Not everyone can go home and Google Ron Paul.

People need to know right away what the message is. And the message is "Ron Paul for President 2008"

Ball
12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I also think they should have been more inclusive for choosing the graphics. It's not like one guy with $300k chose them--then I wouldn't care.

However, I understand what they're aiming for (assuming it's a 'they' and not one dime-a-dozen idea-man in an armchair). They definitely need the toll-free number on it, and quotes around "Ron Paul" as in:

Google "Ron Paul"

or else it doesn't make sense.

It would kind of suck if Google had that pulled due to trademark issues, also.

They also need to show what the RonPaulBlimp web page will look after launch, since that's the only refer on the blimp.

The whole "Who is" thing looks lame. "We support" would be better by far, then put it on both sides.

We Support
RON PAUL
1-877-RON-PAUL

Yea, that means the r3VOLution banner would go, but it just isn't the same as, say, my huge rear window decal since people can ask me what the hell it means.

justinc.1089
12-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I like what you said with We Support Ron Paul. Some posts say we can't endorse Paul with the blimp, and I assume that means we can't put Ron Paul for President on it, so putting something like We Support Ron Paul would be the way to go I think.

I love the R[EVOL]UTION slogan, but its not one that is really great for advertising. For example, I wanted a bumper sticker like that on my car, but I also put a normal bumper sticker so that everyone knows Paul is running for president that sees it, and so that it appeals to everyone also.

BUT if its too late to change the artwork without delaying the blimp for a long period of time then its too late. We'll just have to pray google is not an issue.

So until I have these questions answered I don't know how I want to vote:

1. Can we or can we not say something like Ron Paul for President?
2. How long will changing the artwork delay the blimp?