PDA

View Full Version : Cops don't shoot man but take him to store for mothers day flowers.

mrsat_98
05-25-2014, 09:04 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/25/two-cops-didnt-have-a-choice-after-learning-what-an-adamant-elderly-man-planned-to-do/

They didn’t have a choice.

Two police officers in Little Rock, Arkansas were left with only one option after finding a missing elderly man diagnosed with Alzheimer’s wandering the streets earlier this month — they had to help complete his mission.

Sgt. Brian Grigsby and officer Troy Dillard told the CBS Evening News that often deal with calls of Alzheimer’s patients wandering aimlessly, but Melvyn Amrine one was different.

Image source: CBS Evening News
According to the two officers, the “adamant” man was in a “moment of clarity” and simply out on a mission to purchase Mother’s Day flowers for his wife, as he had done every year since the birth of their first child — and he was not returning home until he had completed his task.

“He was pretty adamant,” Dillard told the CBS Evening News.

“He wasn’t going home until he got those flowers,” Grigsby added. “That’s what he wanted. He wanted flowers for his wife, because tomorrow was Mother’s Day.”

The officers had to help.

“We had to get those flowers,” Grigsby said. “We had to get them. I didn’t have a choice.”

“I didn’t have a choice.”
Share:
So, after radioing dispatch and notifying them that Amrine had been found, they secretly took him to the grocery store.

Surveillance store footage captured the moments the officers assisted him select the bouquet, up until they loaned him some cash to pay for the flowers.

It was then time for him to surprise his wife of more than 60 years, Doris.

“As he came up those steps, and I saw those roses and the smile on his face, I just broke inside,” Doris told the CBS Evening News. “I just said, ‘Thank you, thank you.’ Because I saw his heart.”

She added that the act of love offered proof that “even though the mind doesn’t remember everything, the heart remembers.”

William Tell
05-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Beautiful story.

SeanTX
05-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Another psy-ops / damage control story to paint the police in a good light. If they were doing these things just out of the goodness of their hearts there wouldn't be a press release every time this happened.

If the old man had so much as waved a pen at them or touched them he would have been tased and bean-bagged to death (like the 93-year-old WW2 vet in the nursing home a few months back).

William Tell
05-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Another psy-ops / damage control story to paint the police in a good light. If they were doing these things just out of the goodness of their hearts there wouldn't be a press release every time this happened.

If the old man had so much as waved a pen at them or touched them he would have been tased and bean-bagged to death (like the 93-year-old WW2 vet in the nursing home a few months back).
Do you really believe that all cops are the same?

mrsat_98
05-25-2014, 09:43 AM

Oh no, some suck less than others.

Henry Rogue
05-25-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm glad they didn't taze, beat or shoot the old man. Interesting that it is new worthy when LE performs an act of kindness. It suggests such acts are the exception rather than the norm.

William Tell
05-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Oh no, some suck less than others.

Well said.

moostraks
05-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Whatever motivation the officers had aside, what a touching story. Made me cry to think of the love this couple have for each other.

luctor-et-emergo
05-25-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm glad they didn't taze, beat or shoot the old man. Interesting that it is new worthy when LE performs an act of kindness. It suggests such acts are the exception rather than the norm.

They are, not just in regard to LE but society in general. They should be noted and I feel better every time I read one of these stories.

Anti Federalist
05-25-2014, 12:34 PM

It does not matter.

There are plenty of cops that help kittens out of trees, old ladies across the street and old men get flowers for their wife.

That is not the point.

I know it chaps everybody's ass to "collectivize" but the fact of the matter remains, when you don the uniform, you have collectivized yourself and have become, before anything else, an enforcer of the rules and edicts of a, for all intents and purposes, rogue regime.

An enforcer who, either through himself or his fellow cops, or both, enforce those edicts with increasing brutality and force.

Fuzzy snuggle duck stories of cops doing this or that, are nothing more than the online version of the local newz and their "human interest stories".

They tug at the heart and fog the mind.

William Tell
05-25-2014, 01:05 PM
It does not matter.

There are plenty of cops that help kittens out of trees, old ladies across the street and old men get flowers for their wife.

That is not the point.

I know it chaps everybody's ass to "collectivize" but the fact of the matter remains, when you don the uniform, you have collectivized yourself and have become, before anything else, an enforcer of the rules and edicts of a, for all intents and purposes, rogue regime.

An enforcer who, either through himself or his fellow cops, or both, enforce those edicts with increasing brutality and force.

Fuzzy snuggle duck stories of cops doing this or that, are nothing more than the online version of the local newz and their "human interest stories".

Of course it matters. You can say whatever you want about a group, I don't care about that false definition of 'collectivising' but when it comes to actually holding someone morally responsible, you need address a man's actual actions. There are thousands of so called 'law enforcement agencies' they enforce different rules, but are in theory supposed to follow the Constitution. Most all of them break their oaths, I know that. Actions matter, not uniforms, many spies have worn the enemies cloths.:D

LibForestPaul
05-25-2014, 01:25 PM
It does not matter.

That is not the point.

I am sure Stalin treated his daughter fine, and Hitler was great with puppies. I care why?

kcchiefs6465
05-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Of course it matters. You can say whatever you want about a group, I don't care about that false definition of 'collectivising' but when it comes to actually holding someone morally responsible, you need address a man's actual actions. There are thousands of so called 'law enforcement agencies' they enforce different rules, but are in theory supposed to follow the Constitution. Most all of them break their oaths, I know that. Actions matter, not uniforms, many spies have worn the enemies cloths.:D
Their oath requires certain people who do not, nor would they ever, use their "services" to be robbed to pay their exorbitant salaries, benefit packages, and retirement.

I could rob someone too, pick up a homeless man, and buy him some McDonald's. Who would be the first to proclaim me as a moral and upstanding guy?

The difference being, the common thief isn't going to use the charity that may come from his crimes for a photo-op. They aren't going to be so brazen as a state sanctioned thug, taking pictures of their crimes, bragging about their exploits, and acting with virtually no real oversight to speak. But to be clear, even if there was "oversight" the fact remains the same that all are stolen from so some people can sleep soundly (as they aren't aware of response times, and the general incompetency/mental instability of a bunch of wounded warriors from illegal wars). That is immoral.

And as Pcosmar has pointed out time and time again, the police are unconstitutional. It is an authoritarian attempt to keep people docile and subservient. Whether it is the paddy rollers of yesteryear or the paddy wagons making slaves of drug users today (of which, said using-stolen-money-to-purchase-flowers-hero is a part of); it never really changed.

William Tell
05-25-2014, 01:32 PM
I am sure Stalin treated his daughter fine, and Hitler was great with puppies. I care why?

Nobody here is defending Cops violating peoples rights.

Anti Federalist
05-25-2014, 01:35 PM

Precisely right.

So turn them in.

;)

William Tell
05-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Precisely right.

So turn them in.

;)

I support that.

Anti Federalist
05-25-2014, 01:42 PM

I think we all realize that.

It's a just a question of understanding "police" as a whole, as a concept, rather than individuals, some of whom I'm sure are upstanding folks who have a real desire to "help".

Again, that does not change the fact that you are delivering that "help" through an authoritarian construct that should not even exist in a free society.

William Tell
05-25-2014, 01:48 PM
I think we all realize that.

It's a just a question of understanding "police" as a whole, as a concept, rather than individuals, some of whom I'm sure are upstanding folks who have a real desire to "help".

Again, that does not change the fact that you are delivering that "help" through an authoritarian construct that should not even exist in a free society.
I assume you did not mean to say 'you' as I am not a cop.
Police departments should be abolished, I think electing guys like Richard Mack as County Sheriffs would be a good step.

kcchiefs6465
05-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Take into consideration that no matter how anonymous a given survey is said to be, some will still be hesitant to answer honestly. Also take into consideration that some would never place their profession in a negative light. Then you have the actual sociopaths (unlike the ones who feed off of group energy) who see it literally as "us vs. Them" and have no qualms whatsoever about shattering testicles, blinding the elderly, murdering people, drawing guns on children etc. (and that's a literal etc., I could probably fill the greater of two pages with examples)

http://www.graphs.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/police-brutality-statistics.jpg

Anti Federalist
05-25-2014, 03:00 PM
I assume you did not mean to say 'you' as I am not a cop.
Police departments should be abolished, I think electing guys like Richard Mack as County Sheriffs would be a good step.

That is correct.

It should read "they" or "the means by which that help is delivered".