PDA

View Full Version : As many as 60 deceased Veterans stuck at LA County Morgue for past year and a half

No1butPaul
05-24-2014, 09:49 AM
VIDEO SEGMENT: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/05/23/bodies-of-28-veterans-at-la-county-morgue-will-finally-receive-proper-burial/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The bodies of 28 veterans at the L.A. County Morgue were finally moved Friday for burial to the Riverside National Cemetery.

CBS2/KCAL9 pressed the L.A. County Coroner’s Office Thursday to find out why the bodies had not yet received a proper burial after a source indicated there may have been as many as 60 veterans at the morgue for the past year and a half.

The morgue says the bodies were unclaimed and they don’t know how long the veterans were there.

The law states veterans are supposed to receive a proper burial.

The Veterans Administration says they were never notified the bodies were processed and ready to be buried.

More than two dozen bodies were transported to the Riverside National Cemetery Friday afternoon and more could be moved as they are identified.

On Friday evening, KCAL9′s Stacey Butler reported the LA County Morgue and the Veteran’s Administration were blaming each other for the mistake.

Butler reported from the National Ceremony where the bodies are scheduled for burial.

She spoke to citizens who were outraged at how the deceased vets were treated.

“I think its incomprehensible,” said Richard Burns, a Marine veteran.

“It’s kinda sad that these people don’t get the proper care that they deserve,” Burns said. “Even after death.”

Every Wednesday morning, Butler reports former Marine Corporal Burns goes to the Riverside National Cemetery and volunteers to lead memorial services for the unclaimed and often indigent vets.

Often Burns and a handful of volunteers are the only people in attendance.

By email, a spokesperson for the LA County Morgue pointed the finger at the VA.

They wrote, “…there are about 60 decedents of probable veteran status that have awaited disposition for about a year as a result of a personnel change in the Veterans Affairs office and stringent identification/eligibility processes required by the VA.”

Cindy Van Bibber, a VA spokesperson said, “There’s personnel changes every day but that certainly doesn’t take away from the service that we provide any veteran.”

She says “at no point” did the City Morgue contact the VA and tell them about the bodies piling up there.

“We definitely weren’t contacted or we would have had a service for the veteran,” she added.

Van Bibber said the process to get a proper burial should take about three days, not a year and a half.

Anti Federalist
05-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Every Wednesday morning, Butler reports former Marine Corporal Burns goes to the Riverside National Cemetery and volunteers to lead memorial services for the unclaimed and often indigent vets.

Often Burns and a handful of volunteers are the only people in attendance.

Support The Troops...

angelatc
05-24-2014, 01:24 PM
You know, my family just went through this with my late brother-in-law. He died suddenly, and wanted a military funeral. We did not have his SSN or his DD-214 (or whatever) and had to rely on my husband's memory as for the dates involved.

I was convinced it would take months for us to get the paperwork we needed, but they pulled it together in less than 2 days. Compared to what my husband went through when he needed his discharge papers 20 or so years ago, it was as smooth as silk.

Based only on my anecdotal evidence, I would be reluctant to climb on this particular soapbox, only because their experience doesn't match mine. But I certainly have to admit that it's quite probable that their efficiency was an exception, and not the norm.

donnay
05-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Support The Troops...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt_IUGUNypQ

No1butPaul
05-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Based only on my anecdotal evidence, I would be reluctant to climb on this particular soapbox, only because their experience doesn't match mine.

So everyone else is just on their soapbox because you had a good experience with the VA? That's just a weird comment. Read the news. And thanks for the rude and profane negative rep because you didn't like where I posted one of the threads.

angelatc
05-24-2014, 07:06 PM
So everyone else is just on their soapbox because you had a good experience with the VA? That's just a weird comment. Read the news. .

That's not even close to what I said. But you can't figure out that serial killer videos (which have already been posted) don't belong in "General Politics" either so we have pretty much established that your reading comprehension is quite abysmal.

But honestly, that's not important to me right now. What has me floored at this particular moment is your particular brand of narcissism.

Let me get this straight. My brother in law died recently. I told the story here for the first time, because it contained a relevant experience.

Normal people would say "I'm sorry for you loss."

You, on the other hand, negged me and pitched a public about it, apparently because you didn't like the suggestion that maybe, just maybe we aren't getting the whole story.

No, everybody else is not rude. You, on the other hand ...

Stay classy, RPF.

No1butPaul
05-24-2014, 07:40 PM
No, everybody else is not rude. You, on the other hand ...

Stay classy, RPF.

Just to remind you, this was your classy note to me: "not a fucking thing to do with politics" with a negative rep. I don't think that's what negative reps were meant for. Perhaps I did post the thread in the wrong place, although I do believe these mass killings are relevant as they almost always lead to a gun control debate, which is political as it threatens our 2nd amendment rights, but I won't argue the point. You just had a very nasty way of sharing your opinion with me. As far as your experience, it is always sad when family passes, yes I am sorry about that, but your input was that you had a good experience and suggested people didn't get on their soapbox about 60 vets being kept at the L.A. morgue for up to a year and a half, really? That wasn't appropriate in my opinion, but I'm not going to stoop down to your level and use profanity...oh, or call you names.

2young2vote
05-24-2014, 10:34 PM
My step-dads treatment at the VA hospital has been slightly better than terrible. Coming soon to a nationalized hospital near you!

LibertyEagle
05-24-2014, 10:57 PM
It must depend upon how busy the VA hospital is. I've always heard the negative stuff and expected it to be universal, but a good friend of mine says his experience with VA medical facilities has always been great.

oyarde
05-25-2014, 10:25 AM
It must depend upon how busy the VA hospital is. I've always heard the negative stuff and expected it to be universal, but a good friend of mine says his experience with VA medical facilities has always been great.
I think that is the case. There are a couple local clinics within an hour of me that have good reputations among veterans and then the large hospital which has a good rep for surgeons but overall lousy rep for service , wait times etc.

oyarde
05-25-2014, 10:28 AM
This particular case sounds like the county morgue did indeed not notify , until a worker tipped off the local news .No idea why .

angelatc
05-25-2014, 12:33 PM
My step-dads treatment at the VA hospital has been slightly better than terrible. Coming soon to a nationalized hospital near you!

Yeah. My late MIL was in a VA hospital until it was discovered that she had a really rare form of blood cancer. She was terminal, and the cancer hospital wanted to study her disease..give her some experimental treatments and such. They picked up the tab while she got to be a lab rat. (And she was a medical professional - she was perfectly fine with the deal.)

I don't have any comments on the quality of care she got. There wasn't much that anybody could do. But the difference between the facilities was striking, The VA was dingy and dirty looking, while the private facility was modern and clean looking.

BUt I think that's the way government should be. The inverse - where the government has all the shiny new toys - is a far worse indicator of a liberty failure.