PDA

View Full Version : Russia may build eight nuclear reactors for Iran

orenbus
05-23-2014, 05:08 AM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/MOX_Z1.f0sn0l2Y42WMb6Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2014-05-22T083458Z_1775672756_GM1EA5M19YB01_RTRMADP_3_IRAN-NUCLEAR.JPG

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia plans to sign a contract with Iran this year to build two more nuclear reactors at its Bushehr power plant as part of a broader deal for up to eight reactors in the Islamic state, a source close to the negotiations told Reuters on Thursday.
Related Stories

It was not immediately clear how this might affect six global powers' talks with Iran addressing disputed aspects of its nuclear program. Iran has resisted demands for cuts in its uranium enrichment capacity, pointing to plans for a future network of nuclear power stations.

Western powers want any lasting agreement with Iran to put to rest suspicions that it could develop nuclear weapons-making ability through enrichment. Iran denies any such intent.

The talks ended last week with little progress; they are to resume in Vienna in June.

Russia, one of the six powers, built Iran's only operating nuclear power reactor, at Bushehr.

"Russia and Iran may sign an intergovernmental agreement this year on building from four to eight nuclear reactors, and, under the deal, the contract for the construction of the first two reactors as additions to Bushehr," the source said.

Russian state nuclear corporation Rosatom said earlier it was in talks with Iran on the potential construction of more reactors there but revealed no details. Rosatom officials could not immediately be reached for comment on Thursday.

Longstanding Western fears that the Bushehr project could yield spent fuel of use in nuclear weapons - something it denies it is seeking to do - receded after Iran promised to send the material back to Russia.

Moscow voted for four rounds of U.N. Security Council sanctions against Iran over its contested nuclear activity but has sharply criticized additional measures imposed by the United States and European Union, calling them a hindrance to diplomacy in search of a permanent settlement with Tehran.

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-may-build-eight-nuclear-reactors-iran-134635604.html

vita3
05-23-2014, 07:04 AM
& an American Company started Iran's first back in the 70's

But don't tell the Sheep that, they will get very confused.

eduardo89
05-23-2014, 07:22 AM
& an American Company started Iran's first back in the 70's

But don't tell the Sheep that, they will get very confused.

That's not true. It was Siemens, a German company.

specsaregood
05-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Good for them. Maybe if our govt weren't such hypocritical douches an American company could have gotten the contract.

Article IV: 1. Nothing in this Treaty shall be interpreted as affecting the inalienable right of all the Parties to the Treaty to develop research, production and use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes without discrimination and in conformity with Articles I and II of this Treaty.

2. All the Parties to the Treaty undertake to facilitate, and have the right to participate in, the fullest possible exchange of equipment, materials and scientific and technological information for the peaceful uses of nuclear energy. Parties to the Treaty in a position to do so shall also co-operate in contributing alone or together with other States or international organizations to the further development of the applications of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, especially in the territories of non-nuclear-weapon States Party to the Treaty, with due consideration for the needs of the developing areas of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Non-Proliferation_Treaty#Key_articles

DamianTV
05-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Ready to go in just 20 years... those things take a while to build.

vita3
05-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Siemens was involved in the 70's, American companies started before that. Look it up

Zippyjuan
05-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Even before the sanctions, Iran relied on oil exports for their government revenues and for a significant portion of their economy. But their domestic consumption was reaching their own domestic production so they need to free up more oil by seeking other energy sources. That is why nuclear energy is so important to them (and why I think they were not necessarily totally focused on getting nuclear weapons- that was a side use).

HOLLYWOOD
05-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Control the oil & gas, control the economy, control the region, control the world... Half the world's NATGAS reserves are held between Russia and Iran.

I thought Halliburton sold nuclear reactor supporting equipment to Iran under the cloak of crude oil gear/refinery parts? You know Dick Cheney's boys.

oldie but goodie... Ad by US utility association/Public Gas & Electric companies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8b/Shah_of_Iran_building_two_nuclear_plants.jpg/428px-Shah_of_Iran_building_two_nuclear_plants.jpg

Brian4Liberty
05-23-2014, 01:23 PM
With the neoconservatives dominating foreign policy, it wouldn't be a surprise if Russia gave Iran nuclear missiles. The neocons long for their glory days. Thanks neocons, for bringing back the Cold War.

Ronin Truth
05-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Yep, I'd sure want the Chernobyl folks building eight nuclear reactors in my country. You betcha!

Brian4Liberty
05-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Yep, I'd sure want the Chernobyl folks building eight nuclear reactors in my country. You betcha!

You prefer GE/Fukushima?

eduardo89
05-23-2014, 03:09 PM

Well that's an ignorant comment.

DamianTV
05-23-2014, 05:35 PM

You know what SARCASM is, right?

Ronin Truth
05-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Unlike your's. :rolleyes: :p