PDA

View Full Version : What country is wikileaks going to say the NSA monitored?

UWDude
05-22-2014, 12:36 AM
Greenwald said it will cause violence if the name is released.
I find this interesting:
Either he is an agent of said country, and when the news is released, nothing will happen, and he will be exposed, or

He is serious, and there will be hell to pay.

Here is a list of my suspects
Switzerland - not known for being violent, but many of the bankers may become furious, and it follows the reasoning of the Bahama outing.
Nigeria - if the US monitored every call, why couldn't they do anything about Boko Haram?
The Vatican - this could mean serious breeches of trust and cause worldwide anger
Israel - already lots of anti-US sentiment building there
Ukraine - perhaps he is afraid Ukraine will completely destabilize, after they find out the US was spying on all of them.

I think the worst may be if it was the Vatican or Ukraine.

I would suspect this story may be related:
http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-hosts-senators-for--bizarre--secret-foreign-policy-meeting-211842750.html

White House hosts senators for ‘bizarre’ secret foreign policy meeting

twomp
05-22-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm gonna go with North Korea. I'm pretty sure someone's gonna die if they say it's North Korea.

coastie
05-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Russia or Israel.

I bet Russia....it fits the overall narrative of late....

I seriously doubt there will be violence in this country. I mean, didn't you hear? Jack Bauer is back. That's right bitches...24 is back on.

Nothing short of cutting the food supply(read:stamps) will bring the real violence.

kcchiefs6465
05-22-2014, 01:01 AM
It's been three days, hasn't it?

CPUd
05-22-2014, 01:12 AM
There was already a story last summer about spying on the Vatican. North Korea has a mostly isolated infrastructure- they wouldn't need to tap the whole country, and whatever the U.S. wants to know about them can be found via South Korea.

I would also guess Switzerland, although a number of countries in western Africa use an Israeli satellite as a communications provider. The violence could be directed at the ISP if it came out they were compromised.

kcchiefs6465
05-22-2014, 01:20 AM
There was already a story last summer about spying on the Vatican. North Korea has a mostly isolated infrastructure- they wouldn't need to tap the whole country, and whatever the U.S. wants to know about them can be found via South Korea.

I would also guess Switzerland, although a number of countries in western Africa use an Israeli satellite as a communications provider. The violence could be directed at the ISP if it came out they were compromised.
I was figuring Japan myself. Okinawa in particular. Having not seen or heard Greenwald's quote, simply going off of the OP I'd say Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Qatar, Kyrgyzstan... hell even Yemen. And there's a bunch of countries south of here that could become annoyed by such a revelation.

It's been three days, I believe. Not that I think Wikileaks is an organization to blow smoke.

MRK
05-22-2014, 01:59 AM
Pakistan.

Demigod
05-22-2014, 02:19 AM
Mexico

HOLLYWOOD
05-22-2014, 03:02 AM
3 Amigos have released this report for a starter.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/05/19/data-pirates-caribbean-nsa-recording-every-cell-phone-call-bahamas/

http://kwout.com/cutout/f/r8/dr/wdc_bor.jpg

Data Pirates of the Caribbean: The NSA Is Recording Every Cell Phone Call in the Bahamas - The Intercept (https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/05/19/data-pirates-caribbean-nsa-recording-every-cell-phone-call-bahamas/)

The Intercept decided not to publish the name of the second country where 100 percent of phone calls are recorded on the grounds that the authors have “specific, credible concerns that doing so could lead to increased violence.” In a subsequent post on Twitter, Greenwald said that the NSA and Director of National Intelligence “urged us aggressively” to suppress the names of all countries in question. Greenwald further claimed that the journalists at The Intercept were convinced that “innocent people would die” if the name of the fifth country was released.
In response to The Intercept’s abstention from publishing the second country, however, WikiLeaks announced yesterday that it would reveal the name within the next days. WikiLeaks wrote that the population of the world should be apprised of the details of the government’s spying operation, regardless of specious claims by the NSA that leaks put human life at risk.

“We will reveal the name of the censored country whose population is being mass recorded in 72 hours,” read a message posted Tuesday morning on WikiLeaks’ twitter account. Another tweet added: “It is not the place of Firstlook [ the Intercept ] or [the Washington Post ] to decide how a people will chose to act against mass breaches of their rights by the United States.”

Occam's Banana
05-22-2014, 03:46 AM
Greenwald said it will cause violence if the name is released.

Either he is an agent of said country, and when the news is released, nothing will happen, and he will be exposed, or

He is serious, and there will be hell to pay.

Or he could simply be wrong.

Natural Citizen
05-22-2014, 03:47 AM
I say India. :)

BucksforPaul
05-22-2014, 04:12 AM
Pakistan.

This for a lot of reasons but the main one being the case of the dog and the tail.

ClydeCoulter
05-22-2014, 07:20 AM
I think the 3 days was to allow persons involved with a particular company in that country to get out of town. I thought I saw a tweet that referred to a company being at risk within the country.

kathy88
05-22-2014, 08:10 AM
This reminds me of when Drudge kept hinting at a McCain scandal.... which turned out to be nothing, 'member that? We were so excited then it sucked.

limequat
05-22-2014, 01:40 PM
I think the 3 days was to allow persons involved with a particular company in that country to get out of town. I thought I saw a tweet that referred to a company being at risk within the country.

A company or THE company?

Christian Liberty
05-22-2014, 01:46 PM
I hope its Israel, and that it will result in Israel cutting off its relations with the United States.

Well, freedom-lovers can dream, can't they?

TonySutton
05-22-2014, 01:50 PM
I am thinking Saudi Arabia. My guess is Greenwald does not want to be tagged with all of the deaths that would occur.

thoughtomator
05-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I believe the "country" in question is Bermuda.

UWDude
05-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Wikileaks said 72 hours 54 hours ago. Tomorrow, Fri. 23, at 6:53 EST.

I am quite interested to see where Greenwald goes with this. To claim "deaths will be caused" is a claim oft made by officials afraid of the truth coming out, no matter how petty. He also may be thinking this story is causing more outrage than it actually is, since he is in the middle of it.

I wonder if it is Belgium. Recording everything in Brussels could definitely wake some people up, that is the seat of the EU. However, Assange called the assumption racist, so it is probably a brown or Muslim country.

So Mexico might be it.

jkob
05-22-2014, 11:51 PM
http://wikileaks.org/WikiLeaks-statement-on-the-mass.html

It's Afghanistan.

UWDude
05-23-2014, 12:04 AM
http://wikileaks.org/WikiLeaks-statement-on-the-mass.html

It's Afghanistan.

Hmm, this means greenwald is a shill?

I mean, Afghanistan? Duh. People are gonna die? people have been dying there for ten years.

Trust in Greenwald flailing.

However:

But we also reject the implication that it is the role of the international press to protect US assets from arrest for the mass infringement of the rights of another nation’s people.

Julian Assange
Editor in Chief

Wow

thoughtomator
05-23-2014, 12:11 AM
Ultimately the point of this tease is to get every country wondering "are we it?" and assess the chances of that being a realistic possibility. Strategically excellent.

Anti Federalist
05-23-2014, 12:29 AM
What country is wikileaks going to say the NSA monitored?

Ummm, all of them?

Somebody is going to "preempt" us, one of these days.

Demigod
05-23-2014, 01:30 AM
I was close but who could have guessed that the Bahamas were so important that they would gather every data possible.And what are they even monitoring in Afghanistan ,smoke signals and goats/little boys.Most of the country can't even ride/write.

UWDude
05-23-2014, 01:31 AM
Also, interesting in the press release, wikileaks basically says they viewed a ton of files with names redacted from them, and used patterning and the process of elimination to recognize which country it was in this instance.

In essence, with tools for mass scanning and data mining of documents, you can deduce what the redacted word was by patterning, maybe even a bayesian filter method. Ironically, mass Government redactions have caused a security breach.

Tywysog Cymru
05-23-2014, 07:19 PM
I hope its Israel, and that it will result in Israel cutting off its relations with the United States.

Well, freedom-lovers can dream, can't they?

"More proof that Obama is not pro-Israel enough, probably because he's a Kenyan Muslim:rolleyes:!"