PDA

View Full Version : Declining LG's New Ad-friendly Privacy Policy Removes Features From Smart TVs

DamianTV
05-21-2014, 04:08 PM
http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/14/05/21/1456206/declining-lgs-new-ad-friendly-privacy-policy-removes-features-from-smart-tvs

"Techdirt and Consumerist posted articles about a user in the UK who, after a firmware update to his 2-year old LG Smart TV, declined their new Privacy Policy, only to find that most Internet-connected features (e.g. BBC iPlayer, Skype) of the TV now no longer work. From the Techdirt article: 'Does a manufacturer have the right to "brick" certain integral services just because the end user doesn't feel comfortable sharing a bunch of info with LG and other, unnamed third parties? LG certainly feels it has the right to do this. In fact, it makes no secret of this in its long Privacy Policy — a document that spends more time discussing the lack thereof, rather than privacy itself. The opening paragraph makes this perfectly clear.' To add, even declining the policy still results in non-specified information being sent to LG. LG's policy of spying on the viewing habits of customers, along with sending filenames of videos stored on USB devices connected to TVs, was previously discussed on Slashdot."

Posted in General Politicis because Privacy is Political.

Really, how long until you cant use a can opener unless you agree to tell not only the can opener maker, but an unknown plethora of third parties everything you are using that can opener for? General concensus seems to be "theyre only spying on you", like it will cause no one any harm what so ever.

for device in internet_ready Do | woods, throw |

Im afraid to even ask but would anyone even object to having mandatory cameras in your home filming you 24/7?

LibForestPaul
05-21-2014, 04:21 PM
TV's who would have thunk it. UEFI HDMI region locking, for certain it would have been computers first.

dannno
05-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Oh good to know, smarttv is off the list of things I will ever by buying.

DamianTV
05-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Oh good to know, smarttv is off the list of things I will ever by buying.

Right now, we still have an option to do that. But what about in the far future? Not 6 months, but 60 years? Will anyone be able to buy and / or use anything that doesnt fully self disable if the piece of shit cant "phone home"? That dystopian future is not quite here, yet, but it is definitely coming.

I have two major problems with this. #1 companies think they can do this. #2 people that eat this shit up

ClydeCoulter
05-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Right now, we still have an option to do that. But what about in the far future? Not 6 months, but 60 years? Will anyone be able to buy and / or use anything that doesnt fully self disable if the piece of shit cant "phone home"? That dystopian future is not quite here, yet, but it is definitely coming.

I have two major problems with this. #1 companies think they can do this. #2 people that eat this shit up

I am in agreement with you on this.
I also do not give any permission to use any cpu, memory or storage device on my premises without my explicit permission, and then only for the purpose that I intend. That includes any type of device and regardless of anyone's privacy policy. The only privacy policy that counts is mine.

DamianTV
05-21-2014, 05:14 PM

The only privacy policy that counts is mine.

^^^ THAT ^^^