PDA

View Full Version : Drudge: NAT HENTOFF: I'm for Rand 2016...

jllundqu
05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
http://www.wnd.com/2014/05/my-pro-constitution-choice-for-president/

Sen. Rand Paul’s unexpected March 6-7, 2013, 13-hour filibuster speech against the appointment of John Brennan as head of the CIA was widely seen and reported. But, as customarily happens in this digital age, it was out of the media after a few days.

Few of our kids, watching Facebook or texting, were aware of it, except in the very rare schools with class discussions and debates on contemporary issues relating crucially to citizenship.

For me, Paul made real a fantasy I’d long held: that someone running for the presidency, as he clearly is, would focus insistently on what it means under our Constitution to be an American – with basic individual rights and liberties no government has the authority to suspend or erase.

During that crisply related filibuster, for example, he told a sizable, but briefly attentive nation:

“Your government was given a few defined powers (by the Constitution), enumerated powers. … But your liberties are many. … When you read the Ninth and 10th Amendment(s), it says that those rights not explicitly given to government are left to the states and the people. They’re yours, not to be disparaged.”

Hearing that, I wondered how many Americans know what is in the Ninth and 10th Amendments. Do you?

Then Paul pounced: “They say that the United States is the battlefield (against terrorism) now. … This battlefield being here at home means you don’t get due process at home. …

“The question is, if the government’s to decide who are sympathizers (with terrorists) and people who are politicians with no checks and balances are to decide who is a sympathizer, is there a danger really that people who have political dissent could be included in this?”

Edward Snowden’s leaks on how relentlessly the government is spying on us have already answered that question.

I had already commented on the 13-hour filibuster (“Rand Paul: Teacher of the year” March 20, 2013), in which I urged teachers to bring Paul’s illumination of the dangers to individual Americanism into their classrooms. As far as I know, that hasn’t happened.

Paul’s filibuster speech also referred caustically to how the media is treating “bipartisanship” in Congress: “They see us not getting along on taxes and spending, but they fail to understand that on something very important, on whether an individual has a right not to be restrained indefinitely, there is quite a bit of partisanship, usually in the wrong direction.”

Like Congress passing and Obama signing the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which empowers the military to indefinitely imprison American citizens without a trial for “supporting” (not defined) terrorism.

Where did Congress find the authority for endless “restraining” in the Constitution? As for the president, he has made it clear that he has a pen, and having been re-elected, he is the Constitution.

A further sign of Paul’s libertarianism appeared on the front page of the New York Times a few weeks ago: “Paul Diverges From His Party Over Voter ID.” Speaking in Memphis, “a mostly black and Democratic city,” he spoke of the increasing difficulty in voting with stricter regulations in at least 30 states.

“The bigger issue, actually,” he said in the Times, “is whether you get to vote if you have a felony conviction. There’s 180,000 people in Kentucky who can’t vote. And I don’t know the racial breakdown, but it’s probably more black than white because they’re convicted felons. And I’m for getting their right to vote back, which is a much bigger deal than showing your driver’s license” (“Paul Diverges From His Party Over Voter ID,” Jeremy W. Peters, New York Times, May 9).

And with a growing presence of government drone planes in the skies right here at home, Paul said as plainly as possible at the start of his filibuster: “I will speak as long as it takes, but until the alarm is sounded from coast to coast that our Constitution is important, that your rights to trial by jury are precious, that no American should be killed by a drone on American soil without first being charged with a crime, without first being found to be guilty by a court.”

How many other presidential candidates of either party will be stressing that during their campaigns?

jllundqu
05-21-2014, 03:15 PM
http://riotandfrolic.typepad.com/.a/6a015431fc4e55970c017ee5e35b15970d-800wi

specsaregood
05-21-2014, 03:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Hentoff

eduardo89
05-21-2014, 03:35 PM

At the bottom it already says that he supports Rand.

jllundqu
05-21-2014, 04:09 PM

So? It's on Drudge and getting lots of circulation... are you inferring this is somehow not relevant or something?

eduardo89
05-21-2014, 04:12 PM
So? It's on Drudge and getting lots of circulation... are you inferring this is somehow not relevant or something?

Where did he say that?

jllundqu
05-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Where did he say that?

I'm confused why he just posted the wiki of Nat... I didn't say he said anything.... that's why I asked

jllundqu
05-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Where did he say that?

In my experience. When people post a quick wiki of a person's BIO in response to a thread or article, it is usually derogatory.

helmuth_hubener
05-21-2014, 04:15 PM
No idea who this guy is, but it's a nice article.

francisco
05-21-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm confused why he just posted the wiki of Nat... I didn't say he said anything.... that's why I asked

To make it easy for those not familiar with who Nat Hentoff is, to find out. One-stop shopping.

I already knew that he was a prominent civil-libertarian, but I checked the link to learn more.

specsaregood
05-21-2014, 05:34 PM

When I saw the headline, I said, "Who the hell is that?" so I looked it up and shared the link to save other people a freaking step.

georgiaboy
05-21-2014, 06:15 PM
When I saw the headline, I said, "Who the hell is that?" so I looked it up and shared the link to save other people a freaking step.

thank you

boneyard bill
05-22-2014, 10:50 PM
It's not a surprising endorsement given Henthoff's record on civil liberties and abortion. What is surprising to me is his apparent shift to the right. He was always known, despite his opposition to abortion, as figure of the left, but now he is writing for the CATO Institute and World Net Daily. I suppose his support for the Iraq War may also have made him unpopular in some leftist quarters as well. But, of course, the left never really did anything significant about Iraq.

angelatc
05-23-2014, 09:33 AM

I assumed it was because he was like me, in that he had no idea who this guy is. So he looked it up and posted a link so that when the next one of us strolled in, we could just click through and have that question answered.

I gave him a plus rep for that, actually. This name was not familiar to me at all.

AParadigmShift
05-23-2014, 02:23 PM
What is surprising to me is his apparent shift to the right.

Nat Hentoff fell out of favor with the left over the issue of abortion.

I would urge everyone to read Hentoff; of his numerous works, one stands out to me as a must: Free Speech for Me - But Not for Thee (http://www.amazon.com/Free-Speech-Me--But-Not-Thee/dp/006019006X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400876230&sr=1-1&keywords=free+speech+for+me+but+not+for+thee)

ctiger2
05-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Racist ! Anti-Semite !