PDA

View Full Version : Mainstream Media Out to Disprove Gluten Sensitivity

dannno
05-21-2014, 11:01 AM
The mainstream media has been hyping a study recently that they say shows that removing gluten from the diet does not improve digestive problems by looking at a group of people with IBS.

Don't buy it - all they did was give people pills of gluten and completely discounted the fact that other proteins in gluten items, like gliadin, are more prevalent and are primarily responsible for a lot of the digestive issues - not necessarily gluten itself. People just say gluten sensitivity as a catch-all because it is less confusing, but if you are a regular reader of articles that people like me and donnay post, you would know all this already.

One way for people to avoid these problems is by making or buying bread made from a starter dough with wild yeasts and bacterias, they actually digest a lot of the proteins in the process of making the bread.

Read more about the problems with the study here and see other studies that back these claims:

http://chriskresser.com/is-gluten-sensitivity-real

Zippyjuan
05-21-2014, 11:38 AM
There are people who think they might be allergic to a lot of things including gluten even though in reality they are not.

helmuth_hubener
05-21-2014, 12:03 PM
There are people who think they might be allergic to a lot of things including gluten even though in reality they are not.

It does make sense, though, that because for a long, long, long time humans were not eating grains in any large amounts, it may be best to go back to that kind of a diet. Our bodies just may not be designed for grains.

"Allergic" is probably not the right word.

dannno
05-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Actually I think I'm not sensitive to gluten at all, my body handles it quite well (maybe my genes evolved to process it better than others). I generally avoid it most of the time because I think it may cause problems down the line and it is not a low-carb food and I eat a pretty low carb diet. But I do know people who have seen some pretty dramatic improvements in their health by removing gluten.

donnay
05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
The mainstream media has been hyping a study recently that they say shows that removing gluten from the diet does not improve digestive problems by looking at a group of people with IBS.

Don't buy it - all they did was give people pills of gluten and completely discounted the fact that other proteins in gluten items, like gliadin, are more prevalent and are primarily responsible for a lot of the digestive issues - not necessarily gluten itself. People just say gluten sensitivity as a catch-all because it is less confusing, but if you are a regular reader of articles that people like me and donnay post, you would know all this already.

One way for people to avoid these problems is by making or buying bread made from a starter dough with wild yeasts and bacterias, they actually digest a lot of the proteins in the process of making the bread.

Read more about the problems with the study here and see other studies that back these claims:

http://chriskresser.com/is-gluten-sensitivity-real

Good info. I have a friend who started out with IBS which evolved ulcerated colitis and near death. She had to have almost all of her colon removed but a tiny bit. She did tons of research, stopped all gluten and corrected all the problems she was having.

Zippyjuan
05-21-2014, 12:24 PM
People who reduce gulten also are often reducing other things like sugars.

helmuth_hubener
05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
People who reduce gluten also are often reducing other things like sugars. True. In fact, it would probably be very difficult (and expensive!) to eliminate gluten and not reduce sugar/carb intake.

The other thing to keep in mind, Zippy, is that the placebo effect is real. It gets a somewhat bad rap, but why shouldn't we use it and take advantage of it? When people do something they think is healthy, like eliminating gluten -- even if it's indifferent -- they will actually feel more healthy and even become more healthy.

donnay
05-21-2014, 12:37 PM
People who reduce gulten also are often reducing other things like sugars.

Grain carbohydrates (including the gluten grains) convert to sugar in your body...
http://www.squidoo.com/glutensensitivity

Zippyjuan
05-21-2014, 01:08 PM
http://www.squidoo.com/glutensensitivity

It is true that complex carbs do get broken down to sugars but the body responds differently to complex carbs like grains than simple ones like sugars. Complex carbs also add fiber and important nutrients like B vitamins while sugars only add calories. Complex carbs also include fruits and vegetables.

People get too obsessed on either only eating one type of food or completely avoiding another. This leads to an unbalanced diet and shortages of some nutrients. You need variety. We aren't natural carnivores either so a high meat diet isn't healthy or natural either.

Fox McCloud
05-21-2014, 02:19 PM
About 1 in 100 to 1 in 1,000 people should actually *truly* avoid gluten, but the health crowd and company hoping to cash in on this latest wave, are pushing it that you'd think it's a super common occurrence. The only thing gluten is, is a protein, and the people who suffer from eating it don't have a way of digesting that protein, so it can cause a few digestive issues.

UtahApocalypse
05-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Saw an interesting graph awhile back, wish I could find it. It was an almost IDENTICAL parabolic curves showing Cases of "Gluten intolerance" and the use of GMO in Wheat.

Cleaner44
05-21-2014, 02:43 PM
My wife has a very real problem with gluten. People that think it is someone's head is ignorant. Call it whatever you want, but gluten causes her real pain.

Lucille
05-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Saw an interesting graph awhile back, wish I could find it. It was an almost IDENTICAL parabolic curves showing Cases of "Gluten intolerance" and the use of GMO in Wheat.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/

Modern wheat is a "perfect, chronic poison," according to Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist who has published a book all about the world's most popular grain.

Davis said that the wheat we eat these days isn't the wheat your grandma had: "It's an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the '60s and '70s," he said on "CBS This Morning." "This thing has many new features nobody told you about, such as there's a new protein in this thing called gliadin. It's not gluten. I'm not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I'm talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year."

dannno
05-21-2014, 03:08 PM
About 1 in 100 to 1 in 1,000 people should actually *truly* avoid gluten, but the health crowd and company hoping to cash in on this latest wave, are pushing it that you'd think it's a super common occurrence. The only thing gluten is, is a protein, and the people who suffer from eating it don't have a way of digesting that protein, so it can cause a few digestive issues.

Your numbers are way off, I would say it is closer to the 1 in 10 or 1 in 3 range and sometimes the effects don't show up right away.

Davis said that the wheat we eat these days isn't the wheat your grandma had: "It's an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the '60s and '70s,"

There is also gliadin, not just gluten. The amount of gluten increased quite a bit, but the amount of gliadin increased dramatically in these new plants.

helmuth_hubener
05-21-2014, 03:08 PM

http://www.tylervigen.com/correlation_project/correlation_images/per-capita-consumption-of-cheese-us_number-of-people-who-died-by-becoming-tangled-in-their-bedsheets.png

ClydeCoulter
05-21-2014, 03:33 PM
http://www.tylervigen.com/correlation_project/correlation_images/per-capita-consumption-of-cheese-us_number-of-people-who-died-by-becoming-tangled-in-their-bedsheets.png

That's why I hate sliding graphs. This one shows less than 10% overall change. But, zoomed in (slid or starting at 29) it looks large. Graphs, depending on their setup, can be deceiving.

If you zoomed in to just 2007-2009 it would suggested an inverse reaction.

Kotin
05-21-2014, 03:36 PM
I actually don't believe it's gluten, I think it's gliadin( a new protein created through industrial breeding) and the new breed of industrial wheat that was created in this country however many years ago.. I don't do well and my mother doesn't do well with a lot of wheat from America but when I'm in Europe like Italy or France the wheat is great and gives us no digestive problems whatsoever.. Our wheat is the problem.

Fox McCloud
05-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Your numbers are way off, I would say it is closer to the 1 in 10 or 1 in 3 range and sometimes the effects don't show up right away..

The absolute worst of the worst is about 3 out of 50, and that's those with the supposed "sensitivity" COMBINED with those with celiac's disease (and there's some concern/doubt over the so called sensitivity), which would push the number clear back down to 1 in 100 again.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy/2014/05/06/are-you-really-gluten-intolerant-maybe-not/

Natural Citizen
05-21-2014, 07:56 PM
( a new protein created through industrial breeding)

What do you mean by this?.. "industrial breeding".

HVACTech
05-21-2014, 08:03 PM
It does make sense, though, that because for a long, long, long time humans were not eating grains in any large amounts, it may be best to go back to that kind of a diet. Our bodies just may not be designed for grains.

"Allergic" is probably not the right word.

that makes perfect sense to me. eat what your ancestors ate.

but, the earl of Sandwich was right you know....

TheCount
05-21-2014, 10:09 PM
that makes perfect sense to me. eat what your ancestors ate.

Except that's not really what they are doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

Acala
05-22-2014, 09:38 AM
It is true that complex carbs do get broken down to sugars but the body responds differently to complex carbs like grains than simple ones like sugars. Complex carbs also add fiber and important nutrients like B vitamins while sugars only add calories. Complex carbs also include fruits and vegetables.

People get too obsessed on either only eating one type of food or completely avoiding another. This leads to an unbalanced diet and shortages of some nutrients. You need variety. We aren't natural carnivores either so a high meat diet isn't healthy or natural either.

There are NO nutrients in grain that cannot be had from less toxic, carb-laden sources. In fact grain contains anti-nutrients that block the absorption of essential minerals. See phytates.

Acala
05-22-2014, 09:45 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

This video is a failure. First and foremost, this woman fails to understand the program she purports to be debunking. She seems to think that the paleo diet is all about eating meat. In fact it is not at all. The average American converting to a paleo diet would not increase their meat consumption much at all. What they WOULD increase is vegetable consumption. Dramatically. And eliminate grain and sugar consumption. Because she starts with a false assumption, her entire argument is nothing but knocking down a straw man.

She does make the point that it is not possible to exactly duplicate a true paleo diet in today's world. She is correct. So what? Nobody ever said it was. The point is to try as much as possible to approximate the diet we evolved with. The fact that we can't get there exactly is not an argument for simply abandoning the attempt and eating whatever the hell the ag industry puts on a billboard.

I find TED talks to often be glib and amusing, but weak on substance. This is among the worst.

specsaregood
05-22-2014, 10:22 AM
This video is a failure. First and foremost, this woman fails to understand the program she purports to be debunking.

I tend to ignore anything using the word debunk in its title. Its just an inflammatory device; one of those annoying things about the internet.

I find TED talks to often be glib and amusing, but weak on substance. This is among the worst.
YEah, never been a fan of them.

Zippyjuan
05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
WebMD says true gluten allergies effect about one percent of the population and one estimate says about six percent may be "gluten sensitive".

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120220/gluten-sensitivity-fact-or-fad

Gluten Sensitivity: Fact or Fad?

Feb. 20, 2012 -- Move over fat, salt, and sugar. There’s a new dietary villain in town and its name is gluten.

Scan the grocery aisles and it’s impossible to miss the proliferation of products proclaiming that they are “gluten-free.”

sliced bread and caution tape

Pick up a magazine or go online and you are likely to read about yet another celebrity or athlete who has banished gluten from their diet.

By one estimate, as many as 18 million Americans have some degree of gluten sensitivity, but a new analysis raises questions about the claim and the benefits of a gluten-free diet for most people.

What Is Gluten?

Gluten is a protein in wheat, rye, and barley that is commonly found in bread, beer, pasta, and a wide range of other processed foods containing these grains.

For about 1% of the population, eating gluten causes celiac disease, an intestinal condition characterized by the inability to absorb nutrients from food.

Celiac disease is diagnosed through blood and bowel tests, but there are no good tests to determine non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and there has been considerable debate about whether the condition even exists.

In their essay published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, Celiac researchers Antonio Di Sabatino, MD, and Gino Roberto Corazza, MD, of Italy’s University of Pavia, explored what is and is not known about gluten sensitivity and addressed the growing hype about the benefits of gluten-free eating.

“Claims [about gluten-free diets] seem to increase daily, with no adequate scientific support to back them up,” they write. “This clamor has increased and moved from the Internet to the popular press, where gluten has become the new diet villain.”

Gluten May Not Be to Blame

The researchers noted that many symptoms attributed to gluten may actually be caused by sensitivity to other components of wheat flour or other ingredients found in wheat-based foods like bread, pasta, and breakfast cereals.

Symptoms that have been attributed to gluten sensitivity include diarrhea, abdominal cramping, bloating, headaches, fatigue, and even those associated with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Di Sabatino and Corazza write that some people may experience these symptoms when they eat foods containing gluten simply because they believe these foods will make them sick.

dannno
05-22-2014, 12:32 PM

You know, I've seen that video and it makes a great argument for the paleo diet even though the person giving the argument has no idea that is what they are actually doing. It's kind of pathetic.

They are basically saying that we didn't have much in the way of fruit and veggies back then like what we have today so the fruit and veggies that paleo dieters eat today are not what our ancestors ate... but the veggies are still low carb and have some good nutrients, the fruit is a little bit sweeter but paleo says not to eat a ton of fruit anyway and there were still no grains.. So paleo diet is the closest thing we have to what our ancestors ate, though it may not replicate it, there is still no excuse to eat a lot of carbs which were largely unavailable back then.

dannno
05-22-2014, 12:34 PM
WebMD says true gluten allergies effect about one percent of the population and one estimate says about six percent may be "gluten sensitive".

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120220/gluten-sensitivity-fact-or-fad

Ya they are about 10 years behind on many health issues, they don't realize the extent of the diseases and problems gluten sensitivity causes.... including mental issues... we have all these people medicating on SSRIs who may simply be gluten sensitive, does WebMD account for that? There are many other common conditions that gluten sensitivity causes that they are not taking into account.

donnay
05-22-2014, 12:36 PM
The Mainstream Media Declares: Gluten Sensitivity A Myth -- Who Cares?

Written By: Sayer Ji

A profound change in worldwide consumer behavior has taken hold around the issue of wheat's status in the human diet (to the tune of a burgeoning multi-billion dollar 'gluten free' products industry), and lately, a battery of mainstream articles have come out claiming that the only population legitimately entitled to identify wheat as a cause of their malaise are those with classically defined and diagnosed celiac disease – albeit, an increasingly expanding population.

With articles titled, "Study: Gluten "sensitivity" may not exist," (http://fox43.com/2014/05/19/study-gluten-sensitivity-may-not-exist/#axzz32TFPzFCH) "Study says non-celiac gluten sensitivity may not be real," (http://wqad.com/2014/05/19/study-says-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-may-not-be-real/) "Gluten Sensitivity Probably Not a Real Condition, Study Says," (http://wgno.com/2014/05/19/gluten-sensitivity-probably-not-a-real-condition-study-says/) proliferating wildly, what is the truth?

The study referred to in the above articles was published in 2013 in the journal Gastroenterology and was lead by an Australian professor of gastroentology who first identified an expanded category of gluten sensitive disorders labeled 'non-celiac gluten sensitivity' (NCGS). His original study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21224837), published in the American Journal of Gastroentology in 2011, found that gluten caused significant gastrointestinal distress in patients without celiac disease (CD), and was lauded as strong evidence that gluten avoidance may benefit a larger population than those suffering with CD.

His more recent study (http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085%2813%2900702-6/abstract?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.go v%2Fpubmed%2F23648697?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nc bi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpubmed%2F23648697), a double-blind cross-over trial of 37 subjects with NCGS and irritable bowel syndrome, but not celiac disease, randomly assigned participants to groups given a 2-week diet of reduced dietary reduction of fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates, known by he acronym FODMAPs (fermentable, oligo-, di-, monosaccharides, and polyols), and were then placed on high-gluten (16 g gluten/d), low-gluten (2 g gluten/d and 14 g whey protein/d), or control (16 g whey protein/d) diets for 1 week, followed by a washout period of at least 2 weeks.

The researchers assessed serum and fecal markers of intestinal inflammation/injury and immune activation, and indices of fatigue. Twenty-two participants then crossed over to groups given gluten (16 g/d), whey (16 g/d), or control (no additional protein) diets for 3 days. Their symptoms were then evaluated by visual analogue scales.

Continued... (http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/mainstream-media-declares-gluten-sensitivity-myth-who-cares)

Zippyjuan
05-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Ya they are about 10 years behind on many health issues, they don't realize the extent of the diseases and problems gluten sensitivity causes.... including mental issues... we have all these people medicating on SSRIs who may simply be gluten sensitive, does WebMD account for that? There are many other common conditions that gluten sensitivity causes that they are not taking into account.

Can you share facts to support that?
1) that those things are really soaring and that
2) they are caused by wheat?

Zippyjuan
05-22-2014, 01:25 PM
The Mainstream Media Declares: Gluten Sensitivity A Myth -- Who Cares?

Written By: Sayer Ji

A profound change in worldwide consumer behavior has taken hold around the issue of wheat's status in the human diet (to the tune of a burgeoning multi-billion dollar 'gluten free' products industry), and lately, a battery of mainstream articles have come out claiming that the only population legitimately entitled to identify wheat as a cause of their malaise are those with classically defined and diagnosed celiac disease – albeit, an increasingly expanding population.

With articles titled, "Study: Gluten "sensitivity" may not exist," (http://fox43.com/2014/05/19/study-gluten-sensitivity-may-not-exist/#axzz32TFPzFCH) "Study says non-celiac gluten sensitivity may not be real," (http://wqad.com/2014/05/19/study-says-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-may-not-be-real/) "Gluten Sensitivity Probably Not a Real Condition, Study Says," (http://wgno.com/2014/05/19/gluten-sensitivity-probably-not-a-real-condition-study-says/) proliferating wildly, what is the truth?

The study referred to in the above articles was published in 2013 in the journal Gastroenterology and was lead by an Australian professor of gastroentology who first identified an expanded category of gluten sensitive disorders labeled 'non-celiac gluten sensitivity' (NCGS). His original study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21224837), published in the American Journal of Gastroentology in 2011, found that gluten caused significant gastrointestinal distress in patients without celiac disease (CD), and was lauded as strong evidence that gluten avoidance may benefit a larger population than those suffering with CD.

His more recent study (http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085%2813%2900702-6/abstract?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.go v%2Fpubmed%2F23648697?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nc bi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpubmed%2F23648697), a double-blind cross-over trial of 37 subjects with NCGS and irritable bowel syndrome, but not celiac disease, randomly assigned participants to groups given a 2-week diet of reduced dietary reduction of fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates, known by he acronym FODMAPs (fermentable, oligo-, di-, monosaccharides, and polyols), and were then placed on high-gluten (16 g gluten/d), low-gluten (2 g gluten/d and 14 g whey protein/d), or control (16 g whey protein/d) diets for 1 week, followed by a washout period of at least 2 weeks.

The researchers assessed serum and fecal markers of intestinal inflammation/injury and immune activation, and indices of fatigue. Twenty-two participants then crossed over to groups given gluten (16 g/d), whey (16 g/d), or control (no additional protein) diets for 3 days. Their symptoms were then evaluated by visual analogue scales.

Continued... (http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/mainstream-media-declares-gluten-sensitivity-myth-who-cares)

The claim is not that those do not exist but rather that the incidence is really not so common as the internet and media may make it seem.

If I was to say there seems to be a lot of red cars on the road today and posted a couple of articles about that, you would start noticing red cars and think "wow- there do seem to be more red cars on the road today!" even if the number did not really change. You would just be looking for them more.

dannno
05-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Can you share facts to support that?
1) that those things are really soaring and that
2) they are caused by wheat?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-breakthrough-depression-solution/201105/is-gluten-making-you-depressed

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/60-years-research-links-gluten-grains-schizophrenia

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/potential-benefits-of-a-gluten-free-diet

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2014/01/31/food-for-thought-can-the-paleo-diet-heal-mental-disorders

Zippyjuan
05-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the links. Article One does say that one person who was depressed did have celiac disease but does not say how common that is. (I perhaps should add that both my brother and father have celiac).

Article two says it may be associated with schizophrenia but is not common.

Reports of the resolution of emotional disturbances after the institution of a "gluten free" diet exist in medical literature at least as far back as 1951.[i] In 1954, Sleisenger reported to have found three schizophrenics among a group of thirty-two adults with celiac disease,[ii] and in 1957, Bossak, Wang and Aldersberg reported discovering 5 psychotic patients among 94 patients with celiac disease.
If one percent of people have celiac disease, then schizophrenics with celiac disease would be about five to ten percent of those or less than one in a thousand.

Article three:

As many as two million Americans may have celiac disease, though only 300,000 or so have been diagnosed with it.
Two million out of 300 million Americans would be less than one percent.

dannno
05-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Did you not read the Harvard article??

But there is now good evidence that a condition called nonceliac gluten sensitivity causes similar symptoms

So again, people with the above conditions who cannot be diagnosed with celiac disease may have a nonceliac gluten sensitivity that is being largely undiagnosed, so the amount of people being affected is much higher than the estimates you are seeing.

Just a theory, but it is possible that the nonceliac gluten sensitivity may simply be a sensitivity to gliadin. If that is the case, then if you group all of those people together I would imagine that 90+% are sensitive to gliadin, and only a small percentage are sensitive to gluten and can be diagnosed with celiac. That is why the rate of people who are sensitive to products containing gluten is about 10 times higher or maybe more than the amount of people with celiac, because they are actually developed allergies to gliadin.

helmuth_hubener
05-22-2014, 04:49 PM

TheCount, I watched that video quite a while ago (probably around the time the talk was given). I could find nothing particular to disagree with, and indeed she seemed unable to find anything in particular in the beliefs of the paleos/primals she disagreed with. So... "debunking" is probably very much the wrong word.

Cleaner44
05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
I realize this is long, but if you are serious about understanding the problem, this is worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU6jVEwpjnE&feature=youtu.be

Fox McCloud
05-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Did you not read the Harvard article??

So again, people with the above conditions who cannot be diagnosed with celiac disease may have a nonceliac gluten sensitivity that is being largely undiagnosed, so the amount of people being affected is much higher than the estimates you are seeing.

But the studies that are done find roughly 5% (check the forbes article); many are hopping on the gluten bandwagon or attribute their digestive issues to gluten because it's the hot topic of the day; when people are more closely scrutinized, most of the self-diagnosed "gluten intolerant" individuals disappear.

Just a theory, but it is possible that the nonceliac gluten sensitivity may simply be a sensitivity to gliadin. If that is the case, then if you group all of those people together I would imagine that 90+% are sensitive to gliadin, and only a small percentage are sensitive to gluten and can be diagnosed with celiac. That is why the rate of people who are sensitive to products containing gluten is about 10 times higher or maybe more than the amount of people with celiac, because they are actually developed allergies to gliadin.

Only this astounding number you claim doesn't hold up or show up when more closely analyzed.

Cleaner44
05-22-2014, 06:41 PM
But the studies that are done find roughly 5% (check the forbes article); many are hopping on the gluten bandwagon or attribute their digestive issues to gluten because it's the hot topic of the day; when people are more closely scrutinized, most of the self-diagnosed "gluten intolerant" individuals disappear.

Only this astounding number you claim doesn't hold up or show up when more closely analyzed.

I see the hot topic or trend of the day is ignorant people saying that gluten sensitivity is a fad and that is in people's head. It is a very real problem and more people everyday are discovering their problems come from gluten.

Suzanimal
05-22-2014, 06:49 PM
I actually don't believe it's gluten, I think it's gliadin( a new protein created through industrial breeding) and the new breed of industrial wheat that was created in this country however many years ago.. I don't do well and my mother doesn't do well with a lot of wheat from America but when I'm in Europe like Italy or France the wheat is great and gives us no digestive problems whatsoever.. Our wheat is the problem.

I asked my Endocrinologist about diet for someone like me (low thyroid) and he suggested gluten-free. He explained it the way you did, I came home and looked it up and sure enough.:)

The reason gluten may be problematic if you have an autoimmune thyroid condition is because the molecule gliadin, which is the protein part of gluten, resembles the protein in your thyroid gland. If you are intolerant to gluten, your body develops antibodies against gluten. By definition, an autoimmune condition results from your own body attacking and destroying one of your own organs or tissues. The antibodies that your body develop against gluten may mistakenly attack your thyroid gland because of its similar structure, causing you to develop an autoimmune form of thyroid disorder, often called Hashimoto's thyroid disease or Grave's thyroid disease.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/538694-does-gluten-affect-the-thyroid/

dannno
05-22-2014, 07:07 PM
But the studies that are done find roughly 5% (check the forbes article); .

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy/2014/05/06/are-you-really-gluten-intolerant-maybe-not/

Dude, the entire point of the link in the OP is to debunk the study from the forbes article, I guess you didn't even read it.

Not to mention the author of the forbes article clearly knows very little about the issue and diet in general. They should stick to economics.

Listen and learn.

They say in the forbes article that many of the people were actually allergic to FODMAPS and so instead of avoiding gluten those people should avoid FODMAPS instead. FODMAPS are found in...... WHEAT....Now look at the list of foods below that contain gluten:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/gluten-free-diets/what-foods-have-gluten.html

Now tell me the only god damn food on that list that you eat isn't WHEAT. You are not eating fucking kamut, semolina or spelt. What the fuck is the point of not being clear in the article FODMAPS are in wheat and giving out FODMAP free items with gluten in them like the list above other than they don't know wtf they are talking about or they are spouting propaganda?

Then they say that people who remove gluten may be missing out on fiber and B12... God dammit, there are PLENTY of great sources of fiber and B12 that aren't even grains, but you can still eat all sorts of other grains that don't contain gluten. The article is just so retarded. Then on top of that you can also believe, like me, that eating grains decreases your body's ability to uptake those kind of nutrients in the first place so they should be avoided.

As for the rest who are not allergic to gluten or FODMAPS, they are likely allergic to gliadin, which is in wheat, as I've said at least 5 times now, but they didn't test for that..

donnay
05-22-2014, 07:21 PM
I asked my Endocrinologist about diet for someone like me (low thyroid) and he suggested gluten-free. He explained it the way you did, I came home and looked it up and sure enough.:)

Bromine, Fluroide and Chlorine are all Endocrine disruptors. Potassium Bromate is a dough conditioner found in many of the commercial bakery products. Fluoride is another halide, and drinking fluoridated water, using fluoride toothpaste and other products containing fluoride, your thyroid cannot tell the difference. Along with Fluoridation of the water, they also chlorinate the water-- all these halides have toxic effects on the thyroid except for Iodine. Your thyroid needs Iodine to properly function.

Thyroid

Bromine disrupts the thyroid gland and interferes with the production of thyroid hormones. The thyroid gland relies on iodine obtained through the foods you eat to produce thyroid hormones that are essential for normal growth, development and metabolism. Because it’s so similar to iodine, bromine can take the place of iodine, which results in less iodine for the thyroid gland. This interferes with the thyroid’s ability to function and can lead to hypothyroidism. Bromine may also increase the elimination of iodine from the body, which also lowers the amount of iodine available for the thyroid gland.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/554803-food-additives-bromine-and-thyroid-disorder/

Bromides are a common endocrine disruptor. Because bromide is also a halide, it competes for the same receptors that are used in the thyroid gland (among other places) to capture iodine. This will inhibit thyroid hormone production resulting in a low thyroid state.

Iodine is essential for your body, and is detected in every organ and tissue. There is increasing evidence that low iodine is related to numerous diseases, including cancer. Various clinicians and researchers have found iodine effective with everything from goiter to constipation.

Bromide can be found in several forms. Methyl Bromide is a pesticide used mainly on strawberries, found predominantly in the California areas. Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO) is added to citrus drinks to help suspend the flavoring in the liquid.

Potassium Bromate is a dough conditioner found in commercial bakery products and some flours.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/05/another-poison-hiding-in-your-environment.aspx

Americans and Brazilians, who are more exposed to fluoride than other populations, have a desperate need for more iodine. Taking iodine in its nascent form is not only the best way to increase iodine levels in the safest and most effective way possible for adults and children whose thyroids are already compromised, but it will also greatly aid in ridding the body of dangerous fluoride, bromide, chlorine, perchlorates and heavy metals.
http://drsircus.com/medicine/iodine/iodine-protects-fluoride-toxicity

dannno
05-22-2014, 07:45 PM
This whole thing really pisses me off. My ex is gluten free and when we go out to eat, all the servers and wait staff everywhere were actually good at being accommodating and understanding what gluten free meant, etc.

Now this propaganda is going to make a lot of people think that it is not important to understand and accommodate people who choose to be gluten free for health reasons when it really is.

Acala
05-23-2014, 08:52 AM
This whole thing really pisses me off. My ex is gluten free and when we go out to eat, all the servers and wait staff everywhere were actually good at being accommodating and understanding what gluten free meant, etc.

Now this propaganda is going to make a lot of people think that it is not important to understand and accommodate people who choose to be gluten free for health reasons when it really is.

Monsanto and Michelle Obama want you to eat wheat, so EAT IT and stop whining!

donnay
05-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Monsanto and Michelle Obama want you to eat wheat, so EAT IT and stop whining!

Yes and Big pHARMa waits in the wings to treat your IBS, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerated Colitis, and a host of other wheat related chronic illnesses and problems.

amy31416
05-23-2014, 11:27 AM
After the food pyramid fiasco, why the hell would anyone trust the government/MSM for dietary advice? There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to diet or medical issues.

Suzanimal
05-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Donnay's post is correct, I was just addressing Gluten but my Dr did advise me to avoid all the things she mentioned.

Bromine, Fluroide and Chlorine are all Endocrine disruptors. Potassium Bromate is a dough conditioner found in many of the commercial bakery products. Fluoride is another halide, and drinking fluoridated water, using fluoride toothpaste and other products containing fluoride, your thyroid cannot tell the difference. Along with Fluoridation of the water, they also chlorinate the water-- all these halides have toxic effects on the thyroid except for Iodine. Your thyroid needs Iodine to properly function.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/554803-food-additives-bromine-and-thyroid-disorder/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/05/another-poison-hiding-in-your-environment.aspx

http://drsircus.com/medicine/iodine/iodine-protects-fluoride-toxicity

TheCount
05-23-2014, 08:41 PM
You know, I've seen that video and it makes a great argument for the paleo diet even though the person giving the argument has no idea that is what they are actually doing. It's kind of pathetic.

I don't think it's making an argument against the diet, just that the diet isn't what it claims to be.

Personally, I think the 'paleo' diet is great, and I've seen many people use it to great results. The BS about the diet is not whether or not it works, but why it works.