PDA

View Full Version : New York increases Minimum Age To Buy Cigarettes To 21

DamianTV
05-19-2014, 04:41 PM
http://newswatch.us/new-york-increases-minimum-age-buy-cigarettes-21/

New York raised the minimum age to buy cigarettes to 21 on Sunday, in its latest initiative to encourage healthier behavior among residents.

The law, signed November 19 shortly before former mayor Michael Bloomberg finished his second term, had a six-month waiting period before it came into effect — but its impact can already be clearly felt.

“Under 21, no tobacco,” warned a small sign at the entrance of a small shop that sells smokes, newspapers, candy, coffee and cakes, in the Nolita neighborhood (North of Little Italy).

No tobacco, either, for anyone who can’t present a valid ID proving their age. Shopkeeper scan IDs to test their authenticity before handing over the box of cigarettes.

The measure — unprecedented among America’s big cities — raises the legal age to buy cigarettes from 18. It also applies to other forms of tobacco and to e-cigarettes.

It’s the latest of New York’s efforts to reduce smoking in the city, which bans cigarettes and, as of April 29, e-cigarettes in restaurants and bars, in parks or squares, and at the city’s public beaches. Some private residential buildings have also banned smoking.

Cigarette taxes in the city are also the highest in the country: $5.85 a carton, which brings the overall price to around $12. In addition, the city has established a minimum price of $10.50 a box for cigarettes.

So why not 25? Why not 30?

Now for the bolded text. Why not require that an ID be scanned to simply buy ANYTHING? We know who you are and what you buy so we can fine anyone who buys something that is legal, like Bacon, not just tobacco.

The more they know about you, the more power they have to dictate every action of every day life. The distinction between Legal and Illegal or Unlawful is quickly becoming a mute point. How dare you sign that contract with a PENCIL, or take that test with a PEN.

ZENemy
05-19-2014, 04:44 PM
lol, oh government will you ever stop trying to validate your existence? *leave it to beaver tone*

Keith and stuff
05-19-2014, 04:47 PM
New York was already the state with the highest percentage of smokes were smuggled into it. It's just going to get worse/better. This is great news for the New Hampshire economy. Thank you statists! Please continue to pass nonsense that drives shoppers to stores in the Granite State.
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/1383496_697688770274372_1160271247_n.jpg

dannno
05-19-2014, 04:48 PM
I don't recall the kids in my high school who wanted to smoke having much trouble getting cigarettes.

It may encourage younger kids to buy vaporizers online though, which isn't that horrible, until they start cracking down on it some how.

Root
05-19-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't recall the kids in my high school who wanted to smoke having much trouble getting cigarettes.

It may encourage younger kids to buy vaporizers online though, which isn't that horrible, until they start cracking down on it some how.
Universal Internet ID will solve that "problem".

dannno
05-19-2014, 04:54 PM
New York was already the state with the highest percentage of smokes were smuggled into it. It's just going to get worse/better. This is great news for the New Hampshire economy. Thank you statists! Please continue to pass nonsense that drivers shoppers to stores in the Granite State.
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/1383496_697688770274372_1160271247_n.jpg

You know how you can print photos on birthday cakes?

That would be a cool photo to print on a birthday cake and then send it to Bloomberg on his birthday. Along with a birthday card about how retarded he is for making people smuggle things into the state instead of going through more efficient and taxable (unfortunately) legal channels.

kathy88
05-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Smokes here are under 5 bucks a pack in NY they are over ten. I live 15 miles from the border :) WINNING.

DamianTV
05-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Smokes here are under 5 bucks a pack in NY they are over ten. I live 15 miles from the border :) WINNING.

Im just using Pipe Tobacco and making my own. Pipe Tobacco is the same damn thing as Cigarette Tobacco, just cut slightly different, and doesnt have all the Cigarette Tobacco taxes on it. Brings my price down to about a buck a pack.

---

I still have to ask, why not make the Smoking and Drinking age 25 or 30?

Anti Federalist
05-19-2014, 05:43 PM
So why not 25? Why not 30?

Now for the bolded text. Why not require that an ID be scanned to simply buy ANYTHING? We know who you are and what you buy so we can fine anyone who buys something that is legal, like Bacon, not just tobacco.

The more they know about you, the more power they have to dictate every action of every day life. The distinction between Legal and Illegal or Unlawful is quickly becoming a mute point. How dare you sign that contract with a PENCIL, or take that test with a PEN.

We both know where this is going.

Prohibition.

It's just a matter of time.

And it will not be long before you will be required to scan your ID for any purchase.

All purchases will be cross checked against any number of databases to determine if you are prohibited from purchasing them.

dannno
05-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Why not roll an entire carton for $5-$8, pack them in some blank or custom packs and really pull in a healthy profit margin?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?356663-A-carton-of-cigarettes-costs-me-5-8

You could probably even sell them for the same amount as the branded ones, just say how they don't have all the hundreds of added chemicals.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-19-2014, 05:44 PM
just make being an adult 21 already and extend high school by 4 years, masquerading it as college. Oh wait...

green73
05-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Land of the Free. Can't smoke at 18 but feel free to go murder families for the empire.

juleswin
05-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Problem: high % of cigarette smoked in NY smuggled into New York. New York losing out on cigarette tax revenue
Reaction: Cigarette sale people and politicians asking for a clamp down to increase sales and tax revenue
Solution: Create customs check points at every entry point into New York to inspect every cargo coming into the state.

Sound crazy? I can see a New York pol trying it out. Thank god I don't live in New York and that is a s a non smoker.

DamianTV
05-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Problem: high % of cigarette smoked in NY smuggled into New York. New York losing out on cigarette tax revenue
Reaction: Cigarette sale people and politicians asking for a clamp down to increase sales and tax revenue
Solution: Create customs check points at every entry point into New York to inspect every cargo coming into the state.

Sound crazy? I can see a New York pol trying it out. Thank god I don't live in New York and that is a s a non smoker.

Unauthorized Big Gulp! Dont you know NY has to tax Super Big Gulps while your neighboring states do not! Smuggler! Smuggler! Quick, apply the Death Sentence! Now, just swap out Big Gulp for Happy Meal from out of state, or anything else insane that NY wants to ban. Does that food have Unauthorized Salt? We need to inspect your car "for your own protection"!

All the while, just fine with everything being manufactured in China or anywhere else out of country.

Anti Federalist
05-19-2014, 06:31 PM
All the while, just fine with everything being manufactured in China or anywhere else out of country.

When you don't produce anything, you don't have many jobs.

When you can't find a job, you end up on government relief.

When you are on government relief, you are under government control.

Simple.

phill4paul
05-19-2014, 06:37 PM
It's for "the children."

dannno
05-19-2014, 06:44 PM
It's for "the children."

Why do I have the feeling this is going to cause the vape/smoking rate of 18-21 yr olds in NY to increase?

The cheap black market cigs can't hurt.

euphemia
05-19-2014, 06:44 PM
The point is not the taxes. This is a stupid law. Telling people they have to be a certain age to *purchase* a product does not give any limits on how old a person has to be to *use* a product.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-19-2014, 07:02 PM
The point is not the taxes. This is a stupid law. Telling people they have to be a certain age to *purchase* a product does not give any limits on how old a person has to be to *use* a product.
wanna buy a can of compressed air? show me some ID

euphemia
05-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Again, kids are not prosecuted for *owning* compressed air. They need to be a certain age to *purchase* it.

I have four grandkids. I have to show ID to buy spray paint for an art project. It has nothing to do with prohibiting the use of the product. It's all for show to act like they care whether kids smoke or purchase certain things. It doesn't control anything. It makes a cashier a criminal for not checking IDs.

James Madison
05-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Too late to call up the Dutch?

phill4paul
05-19-2014, 07:12 PM
No alcohol. No cigarettes. No Selective service. Young adults could make a change. If they considered themselves adults.

DamianTV
05-19-2014, 07:56 PM
It's for "the children."

Children being defined as anyone under the age of 65...

phill4paul
05-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Children being defined as anyone under the age of 65...

As it stands. Next year it depends on what regulations are passed.

Paulbot99
05-19-2014, 10:48 PM
They don't understand why people would smoke even though it's bad for them and they're bombarded with enlightened education about the evils of smoking. Thus, new laws are necessary to make things difficult for those peasants.

MRK
05-19-2014, 11:05 PM
hahahahahaha

nobody's_hero
05-20-2014, 03:29 AM
Boy NY is on a roll.

Supersize soda ban? Check.
Gun magazine ban? Check.
E-cig ban in public places? Check.
Face soap ban? About to pass!

This is so exciting! Soon you won't be able to do anything in New York! It'll be a great tourism boost. 'Come to the land where you can't do anything, say anything, or even think anything. We've stolen the title of Ban Capital of the World from San Francisco. Oh wait, don't come, we just banned tourism. Isn't it wonderful? Oh wait, don't give your opinions, we' just banned those too.'

Anti Federalist
05-20-2014, 06:08 AM
Boy NY is on a roll.

Supersize soda ban? Check.
Gun magazine ban? Check.
E-cig ban in public places? Check.
Face soap ban? About to pass!

This is so exciting! Soon you won't be able to do anything in New York! It'll be a great tourism boost. 'Come to the land where you can't do anything, say anything, or even think anything. We've stolen the title of Ban Capital of the World from San Francisco. Oh wait, don't come, we just banned tourism. Isn't it wonderful? Oh wait, don't give your opinions, we' just banned those too.'

@1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZFeyf3NwHPc#t=81

specsaregood
05-20-2014, 06:21 AM
So this only affects sales? Not possession?

Anti Federalist
05-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Patience Comrade, we'll get to that.

DamianTV
05-20-2014, 06:36 AM

Gasp! A new law that can be used to generate money (IE, rob people) for even more Govt revenue? You know they'll be all over that like white on rice.

Root
05-20-2014, 07:07 AM
Gasp! A new law that can be used to generate money (IE, rob people) for even more Govt revenue? You know they'll be all over that like white on rice.
Racist :rolleyes::p

MadelineJ
05-20-2014, 03:35 PM
this prohibition does not solve the problem...

DamianTV
05-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Racist :rolleyes::p

Yeah, it kind of is. What is sad is the reality of racism. How many "offenders" or "victims" of such a potential law will be children of minority ethnic groups?

---

Madeline is right, although acct is semi questionable at this point, but is even this level of prohibition going to create a black market for tobacco?

mad cow
05-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it kind of is. What is sad is the reality of racism. How many "offenders" or "victims" of such a potential law will be children of minority ethnic groups?

---

Madeline is right, although acct is semi questionable at this point, but is even this level of prohibition going to create a black market for tobacco?

The black market already exists,please see map in post #3.

This might send the percentage of black market cigs sold in NY over 75% though.
Good for Virginia.