PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Lee & Paul Broun Op-Ed: End the Blank Check for War

TaftFan
05-19-2014, 01:56 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-barbara-lee/end-the-blank-check-for-w_b_5353038.html

This week, the House of Representatives will have the opportunity to erase the most dangerous sentence in American history.

It's the Authorization for the Use of Military Force, or the "AUMF." Passed immediately after September 11, 2001, it contained only 60 words, yet its overly broad language handed the president -- any president -- a blank check for war. Congress passed this joint resolution nearly unanimously, even though the language failed to specify the enemy, set geographical boundaries, or indicate a timeline.

Reflecting on the nearly 13 years that have passed since Congress voted for the AUMF, the warning bells that few were ringing now appear prescient. In addition to providing the president the authority to wage war against anyone, anywhere, at any time, the single sentence of the AUMF serves as the legal justification for some of the most troubling U.S. policies. It is because of the AUMF that the government can conduct broad, warrantless wiretapping. It is because of the AUMF that nearly anyone, including American citizens, can be targeted for assassination by drone strike. And it is in part because of the AUMF that individuals can be indefinitely detained.

Read the rest at the link.

francisco
05-19-2014, 02:31 PM
This is an important first step toward restoring the balance of power between the executive and legislative branches.

Anyone with information on the prospects for this legislation?

From the article:

This is why we have gathered a broad, bipartisan coalition to introduce the War Authorization Review and Determination Act (WARD Act). This bill would require the president to report to Congress precisely what activities are being conducted pursuant to the AUMF. It would then allow Congress to continue any of those activities it determines necessary before ultimately sunsetting the overly broad AUMF language. The WARD Act does not affect the president's many other war powers, and it re-engages the constitutional framework through which the president may seek more authorization from Congress.

NIU Students for Liberty
05-19-2014, 07:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Lee was the lone opponent against AUMF in 2001.

charrob
05-19-2014, 08:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Lee was the lone opponent against AUMF in 2001.

Yep, she was.

nobody's_hero
05-20-2014, 03:12 AM
Today is primary day in Georgia. Initially, I was having trouble choosing between Dr. Paul Broun and TMOT.

With all due respect to TMOT, I really think going from a youtube channel manager to U.S. Senate is a bit ambitious. I would absolutely love to see TMOT try for a state seat, clean up Atlanta, and then build the groundwork for a federal office run. As of now, he's a very distant last place candidate with very little name recognition among mainstream GA voters.

Of the others, my vote goes to Dr. Broun. Whereas the establishment for the most part simply ignores TMOT (not seen as serious competition in their eyes), they absolutely despise Dr. Broun. Couple that with an endorsement from Ron Paul, and we've got ourselves a candidate here in Georgia with a chance.

RandallFan
05-20-2014, 04:27 PM
TMOT is Derrick Grayson?

nobody's_hero
05-21-2014, 06:36 AM
TMOT is Derrick Grayson?

Yes

Cissy
05-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Today is primary day in Georgia. Initially, I was having trouble choosing between Dr. Paul Broun and TMOT.

With all due respect to TMOT, I really think going from a youtube channel manager to U.S. Senate is a bit ambitious. I would absolutely love to see TMOT try for a state seat, clean up Atlanta, and then build the groundwork for a federal office run. As of now, he's a very distant last place candidate with very little name recognition among mainstream GA voters.

Of the others, my vote goes to Dr. Broun. Whereas the establishment for the most part simply ignores TMOT (not seen as serious competition in their eyes), they absolutely despise Dr. Broun. Couple that with an endorsement from Ron Paul, and we've got ourselves a candidate here in Georgia with a chance.

I'm not familiar with the acronym TMOT. What do you mean by it?

nobody's_hero
05-23-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm not familiar with the acronym TMOT. What do you mean by it?

'The Minister of Truth.' A handle he gave himself. He's a great guy. I met him back at the GOP state convention in 2012 when we all went in for Ron Paul and got slaughtered by the establishment (which I would do again in a heartbeat, because for once in politics it felt like I was really fighting for something).

But I don't think TMOT was ready for U.S. Senate. If you don't have the funds (like Purdue, who basically bought himself the nomination for the senate seat), you have to have name-recognition, and the way to do that is start in local office.