PDA

View Full Version : Uruguay to sell marijuana tax-free to undercut drug traffickers

CaseyJones
05-19-2014, 08:27 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/19/us-uruguay-marijuana-idUSBREA4I0CJ20140519

Uruguay will exempt marijuana production and sales from taxes in a bid to ensure prices remain low enough to undercut competition from black market pot smuggled in from Paraguay, according to consultants advising the government on a legalization plan.

Congress approved a law allowing the cultivation and sale of marijuana in December, making Uruguay the first country to do so, with the aim of wresting the business from criminals.

"The principal objective is not tax collection. Everything has to be geared toward undercutting the black market," said Felix Abadi, a contractor who is developing Uruguay's marijuana tax structure. "So we have to make sure the price is low."

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Or how about not having a government monopoly on the sale of marijuana? That would help.

Uruguay will auction up to six licenses to produce cannabis legally in the next weeks. The government is also considering growing marijuana on a plot of land controlled by the military to avoid illegal trafficking of the crop.

And allowing anyone to grow it without needing government permission.

CaseyJones
05-19-2014, 07:33 PM
according to a fellow I am speaking with from Uruguay right now you can grow it as long as you are not selling

Thor
05-19-2014, 08:15 PM
according to a fellow I am speaking with from Uruguay right now you can grow it as long as you are not selling

I saw something though about "approved strains" that I assume were taxed (but maybe not.) And if they tested what you were growing and it was different, then you could be "criminally punished."

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2014/05/03/uruguay-president-mujica-says-colorado-pot-law-is-fiction/

Uruguay plans to create clones of approved marijuana plants, so that police can test weed possessed by licensed users and ensure that it's bona fide. Possession of marijuana lacking the genetic markers of approved plants will be criminally punished.

So I wonder what will be "bona fide"... only X% THC maximum, only Y% CBD... only strains they like....

CaseyJones
05-19-2014, 08:24 PM
here is the law

http://www.presidencia.gub.uy/comunicacion/comunicacionnoticias/promulgacion-regulacion-cannabis

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 08:26 PM
La norma también permite la plantación, el cultivo y la cosecha domésticos de plantas de cannabis psicoactivo destinadas a consumo personal o compartido en el hogar. El máximo de plantas para ese fin son seis y en cuanto al producto de su recolección, un máximo de 480 gramos anuales.
You can have a maximum of 6 plants and harvest no more then 480 grams per year of marijuana.

También queda exceptuada de aquella prohibición, y por ende habilitada, la plantación, el cultivo y la cosecha de plantas realizados por clubes de membresía, que funcionarán bajo control del IRCCA y deberán estar autorizados por el Poder Ejecutivo, de acuerdo a la legislación y en las condiciones definidas por la reglamentación que se dicte.
Private clubs can grow marijuana, but they must operative under whatever IRCCA is and be authorised by the executive branch. They're also subject to whatever laws and regulations are in place.

Estos clubes deberán tener un mínimo de quince y un máximo de cuarenta y cinco socios. Podrán plantar hasta noventa y nueve plantas de cannabis de uso psicoactivo y obtener como producto de recolección un máximo de acopio proporcional al número de socios.These private clubs can have between 15 and 45 members. They can plant a maximum of 99 plants.

El IRCCA otorgará licencias de expendio de cannabis psicoactivo a las farmacias, conforme a las condiciones establecidas por la legislación. La venta de este producto para consumo personal, solo podrá hacerse a partir de la acreditación en un registro (que esta ley crea) y no podrá superar los 40 gramos mensuales por usuario.
IRCCA will give licenses to pharmacies which meet certain conditions. They can sell to the general public for personal consumption, as long as the person is registered. Individuals are limited to purchasing 40 grams per month.

Toda plantación no autorizada, deberá ser destruida con intervención del Juez competente.
All non-authorised plants shall be destroyed after a court order is issued by a competent judge.

I quoted from the summary. Here's the actual text of the law: http://archivo.presidencia.gub.uy/sci/leyes/2013/12/cons_min_803.pdf

Thor
05-19-2014, 08:52 PM
All non-authorised plants shall be destroyed after a court order is issued by a competent judge.

I assume that is those without the genetic marker....

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I assume that is those without the genetic marker....

As well as those above the quotas allowed (6 per person, 99 per private club).

kcchiefs6465
05-19-2014, 09:20 PM
You can have a maximum of 6 plants and harvest no more then 480 grams per year of marijuana.

Private clubs can grow marijuana, but they must operative under whatever IRCCA is and be authorised by the executive branch. They're also subject to whatever laws and regulations are in place.

These private clubs can have between 15 and 45 members. They can plant a maximum of 99 plants.

IRCCA will give licenses to pharmacies which meet certain conditions. They can sell to the general public for personal consumption, as long as the person is registered. Individuals are limited to purchasing 40 grams per month.

I quoted from the summary. Here's the actual text of the law: http://archivo.presidencia.gub.uy/sci/leyes/2013/12/cons_min_803.pdf
You act as if you are unimpressed with "freedom."

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 09:22 PM
You act as if you are unimpressed with "freedom."

"Freedom" isn't impressive.

fr33
05-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Or how about not having a government monopoly on the sale of marijuana? That would help.

And allowing anyone to grow it without needing government permission.

He probably has political reasons for doing it that way. I mean, it's more decriminalization than Rand Paul says that he supports.

kcchiefs6465
05-19-2014, 10:11 PM
He probably has political reasons for doing it that way. I mean, it's more decriminalization than Rand Paul says that he supports.
Uruguay's laws are on track with states such as Colorado or Washington.

Rand Paul supports those state's 'rights.'

fr33
05-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Uruguay's laws are on track with states such as Colorado or Washington.

Rand Paul supports those state's 'rights.'
He supports those states to have those rights but says he doesn't support it in his own jurisdiction. He just wants the penalties of smoking pot to be a little less than what they are now.

kcchiefs6465
05-19-2014, 10:22 PM
He supports those states to have those rights but says he doesn't support it in his own jurisdiction. He just wants the penalties of smoking pot to be a little less than what they are now.
I suppose he differs from the Uruguayan 'majority' little.

fr33
05-19-2014, 10:36 PM
I suppose he differs from the Uruguayan 'majority' little.

Uruguay: using marijuana does not = state molestation

Rand Paul's potential presidency (judging by his own words): using marijuana = state molestation.

I just don't know why some here want to criticize Uruguayan officials for slightly progressing freedom while defending Rand Paul while he slightly progresses freedom even less on the topic at hand.

I certainly won't criticize Coloradans for supporting an imperfect measure.

MRK
05-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Is it colorado or washington where you are not allowed to grow cannabis without getting a permit for the plants first? If I recall correctly, it's colorado.

That's rather similar to the major flaw in this Uruguayan law. You have to get permission to grow each plant or a license to grow in general, and if I'm understanding the responses to this thread correctly, it has to have a verifiable genetic DNA pattern?

I'm hesitant to call that an improvement, given that it's probably better for any government not to have a list of people who they could easily turn into and demonize as criminals.

fr33
05-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Is it colorado or washington where you are not allowed to grow cannabis without getting a permit for the plants first? If I recall correctly, it's colorado.

That's rather similar to the major flaw in this Uruguayan law. You have to get permission to grow each plant or a license to grow in general, and if I'm understanding the responses to this thread correctly, it has to have a verifiable genetic DNA pattern?

I'm hesitant to call that an improvement, given that it's probably better for any government not to have a list of people who they could easily turn into and demonize as criminals.

Must be Washington. In Colorado each person can grow 6 plants without a permit.

kcchiefs6465
05-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Uruguay: using marijuana does not = state molestation

Rand Paul's potential presidency (judging by his own words): using marijuana = state molestation.

I just don't know why some here want to criticize Uruguayan officials for slightly progressing freedom while defending Rand Paul while he slightly progresses freedom even less on the topic at hand.

I certainly won't criticize Coloradans for supporting an imperfect measure.
I criticize them all.

I simply don't find much difference in you being free from a cage for up to six plants in one state versus you being free from a cage for up to six plants in another country. It's not some grand refreshment for liberty.

Rand Paul's imperfect semi-'endorsement' of two states nullifying the federal government's fascist decrees means about as much as the Uruguayan government's authoritarian, tax driven inclinations.

Difference being, I do think Rand Paul ultimately would wish to end the regulations on marijuana.

fr33
05-19-2014, 11:34 PM
I criticize them all.

I simply don't find much difference in you being free from a cage for up to six plants in one state versus you being free from a cage for up to six plants in another country. It's not some grand refreshment for liberty.How about being free from a cage or fines if one decides to ingest the plant? I do see progress in that. Again, Uruguay vs Rand Paul. See below.

Rand Paul's imperfect semi-'endorsement' of two states nullifying the federal government's fascist decrees means about as much as the Uruguayan government's authoritarian, tax driven inclinations.

Difference being, I do think Rand Paul ultimately would wish to end the regulations on marijuana.

And you are wrong unless Rand Paul is lying. Judging from his own words he doesn't support legalizing it federally and does support punishing (through state-revenue). If he became president, marijuana users would still face punishment. http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Rand_Paul_Drugs.htm

I'll see your Rand Paul and raise you a Mujica.

politics
05-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Plus, to be able to be registered - in order to acquire it- you have to be an uruguayan citizen, or at least you need to be a legal resident according to the law.
HOWEVER, it is not a crime not to be registred, in the worst case scenario, people have to face a fine, but not jail.

eduardo89
05-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Plus, to be able to be registered - in order to acquire it- you have to be an uruguayan citizen, or at least you need to be a legal resident according to the law.
HOWEVER, it is not a crime not to be registred, in the worst case scenario, people have to face a fine, but not jail.

I can't find any mention of possession by unregistered users at all, so it seems like there is no fine or jail time.

Unauthorized growing or processing will result in a jail sentence of 26 months - 10 years according to the law.
The same penalty shall be applied to those who import, export, transport, distribute marijuana.
Possession other than for personal use shall result in a jail sentence of 26 months - 10 years as well.

All advertising and promotion of marijuana products is illegal.

Source: http://archivo.presidencia.gub.uy/sci/leyes/2013/12/cons_min_803.pdf (the actual law)

Danke
05-20-2014, 06:42 PM
eduardo sure knows a lot about drug laws...

CaseyJones
05-20-2014, 06:44 PM

ya apparently he seems to think he knows more than a lawyer from Uruguay

mrsat_98
05-20-2014, 06:45 PM

Animals have to be trained.

eduardo89
05-20-2014, 06:53 PM
ya apparently he seems to think he knows more than a lawyer from Uruguay

Or I just read the actual law...

http://archivo.presidencia.gub.uy/sci/leyes/2013/12/cons_min_803.pdf

The entire thing is less than 20 pages. And it's in a large font.

politics
05-20-2014, 06:59 PM
I can't find any mention of possession by unregistered users at all, so it seems like there is no fine or jail time.

Unauthorized growing or processing will result in a jail sentence of 26 months - 10 years according to the law.
The same penalty shall be applied to those who import, export, transport, distribute marijuana.
Possession other than for personal use shall result in a jail sentence of 26 months - 10 years as well.

All advertising and promotion of marijuana products is illegal.

I guess maybe I was not clear enough

If you are a person that consumes it, and you have an allowed amount you are not committing a crime.

Indeed, given the new law, there are cases of people released for this reason

The brand new law states that a person can carry up to 40 grams of marijuana. Anyone who is arrested more than 40 grams, the judge may determine that it is not for personal use, but to sell it, which is prohibited. translated by google
http://www.republica.com.uy/primer-preso-liberado-por-ley-de-marihuana/

CaseyJones
05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Or I just read the actual law...

http://archivo.presidencia.gub.uy/sci/leyes/2013/12/cons_min_803.pdf

The entire thing is less than 20 pages. And it's in a large font.

do you have a headache now?

eduardo89
05-20-2014, 07:03 PM
I guess maybe I was not clear enough

If you are a person that consumes it, and you have an allowed amount you are not committing a crime.

Indeed, given the new law, there are cases of people released for this reason

http://www.republica.com.uy/primer-preso-liberado-por-ley-de-marihuana/

Yes, you're right. The registration is only to buy it, not to posses it. Personal possession of marijuana was already legal in Uruguay even before this bill was passed, however what there was no legal definition of 'personal amount' until now, so it was entirely up to a judge's discretion. It's set at 40 grams now.