PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine: "Conservatives Inc" - story sound familiar?

mosquitobite
05-19-2014, 06:52 AM
hxxp://time.com/23001/conservatives-inc/

Marketing wizards make millions off the movement. Is it money well spent?

The National Draft Ben Carson for President Committee, which paid for the paraphernalia and drummed up the frenzy, is an unlikely juggernaut. It has no headquarters, few paid staffers and no known affiliation with Carson, who shows little sign of wanting to become a candidate. Yet the group has raked in $2.8 million from 47,000 donors during its first six months.

In 2013, 'The National Draft Ben Carson for President Committee' raised $1.2 million from donors -- and kept $920,000 (more than 90%) of it for themselves.

Can we get a tag called "shysters" so we can keep all of this information organized?

Suzanimal
05-19-2014, 06:56 AM
hxxp://time.com/23001/conservatives-inc/

Can we get a tag called "shysters" so we can keep all of this information organized?

I second that tag...along with Barrex's bacon and beer tag requests.:)

Matt Collins
05-19-2014, 11:29 AM
The forum must be filled with liberal statists lately... there is nothing wrong with raising money, and if you are good at it and in demand, there is nothing wrong with getting (well) paid to do so :rolleyes:

Seriously, why all of the leftie "money is bad" attitudes around here

Anti Federalist
05-19-2014, 11:43 AM
The forum must be filled with liberal statists lately... there is nothing wrong with raising money, and if you are good at it and in demand, there is nothing wrong with getting (well) paid to do so :rolleyes:

Raising money is one thing.

In 2013, 'The National Draft Ben Carson for President Committee' raised $1.2 million from donors -- and kept $920,000 (more than 90%) of it for themselves.

Ripping them off is another.

ETA - That being said, Time published this.

Being a government media organ, it makes sense that they would attempt to throw cold water on any effort that could possibly threaten government's entrenched power.

angelatc
05-19-2014, 11:55 AM
The forum must be filled with liberal statists lately... there is nothing wrong with raising money, and if you are good at it and in demand, there is nothing wrong with getting (well) paid to do so :rolleyes: Seriously, why all of the leftie "money is bad" attitudes around here

I hate this, but I agree entirely. This place is not the same animal it was in 2007.

The liberals can't wait to put this on the front page, but a story about their wing of the party leading the charge amend the Constitution to stifle free speech (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?4488-Harry-Reid-Wants-to-Amend-the-Constitution) got little to no attention.

Because their war is against conservatives and corporations, not government. They've openly admitted as much.

Last week or so, I seem to recall an expose' on the way that TEA Party Patriots spends money was making the rounds. This week, they've expanded their messaging to incude a lot more PACs, but only on the right? This isn't a coincidence. They're using the media to brainwash people into thinking that their donations to Republican PACs are entirely a waste of money.

Matt Collins
05-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Raising money is one thing.

Ripping them off is another.
Need more details on the Carson group in order to know what was really going on there...

mosquitobite
05-19-2014, 02:27 PM

:rolleyes:

There used to be this idea that false advertising, you know - selling SNAKE OIL - was considered unethical.

Apparently this place has filled with greedy corporatists who see nothing wrong with pretending to be associated with a candidate (a BRAND) that they are NOT associated with in any way nor do they care if he wins. :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
05-19-2014, 03:17 PM

There used to be this idea that false advertising, you know - selling SNAKE OIL - was considered unethical.

Apparently this place has filled with greedy corporatists who see nothing wrong with pretending to be associated with a candidate (a BRAND) that they are NOT associated with in any way nor do they care if he wins. :rolleyes:I don't see anyone doing that.

jjdoyle
05-19-2014, 05:42 PM

Apparently this place has filled with greedy corporatists who see nothing wrong with pretending to be associated with a candidate (a BRAND) that they are NOT associated with in any way nor do they care if he wins. :rolleyes:

You just run around trying to sell things, like morality and treating people with respect, and clearly don't know what you're talking about.
Just because this group has no affiliation with Dr. Ben Carson (Read one of his books as a kid, and really enjoyed it. His movie is on Netflix still I think, which was based on the book.), doesn't mean what they did was wrong.

WHO CARES IF THEY RAISED MONEY, and that was REALLY their only goal? You act like you care about the 40,000+ people that gave them money, ACTUALLY thinking it would be used to try and get him to run.

If anything, this fundraising group was a COMPLETE FAILURE. They should learn from Ron Paul 2012 on how to do it.
While, "kept $920,000 (more than 90%) of it for themselves", keeping 90% is good, and incredibly awesome, for them, it's horrid they couldn't end it with more than a million, at the very least.

Ron Paul 2012 did just that, and that is why WE have the professionals on our team, and the others don't. It's why we will win in a landslide in 2016, and it will only cost us another $60 million JUST for the primary season. IF you don't like that price tag, you should check your priorities. Sell your house. Your car. Start eating Ramen now, NOT then. Make the sacrifices you need to do so NOW, so in 2016 you can make as big of a contribution as possible.

OH, and if you don't want to sacrifice now, you can always apply for some credit cards, and just charge it up.

If a PRESIDENTIAL campaign sends out emails saying "every dime" would be spent to win the nomination, and it wasn't, WHO CARES?! You act like being lied to is a bad thing...and it's beyond pathetic you have expectations of campaigns (and people) in the liberty movement to operate in truth. If the other side doesn't do it, why should we?
If the government is nothing but waste, why shouldn't "our" campaigns be?

Get it, while the getting is good.

#GoesToSetupDRAFTRONPAUL2016Group #StartsStampingEnvelopes #Million+IsTheGoal #Winning #Profiting #MakingFriends #HavingFunAtTheExpenseOfOthers

kathy88
05-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Doyle, let's start a PAC...

jjdoyle
05-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Doyle, let's start a PAC...

I'm game. We can even use PAC as the acronym for our PAC.

Maybe meaning something like, Pieces (of) Acidic Chickens. And when people ask us what that means, we'll offer them a ticket to let them find out, and also give them lots of insider information (2 things, for the price of one!). When they finish their meal that is included with the ticket price, we will then explain the chicken was a bit more rancid than normal, because we (the PAC) wanted to keep as much profit for ourselves as possible, and found old, outdated, rancid, chicken meats to feed them.

Badger Paul
05-20-2014, 05:32 AM
"They're using the media to brainwash people into thinking that their donations to Republican PACs are entirely a waste of money."

If you gave money to a charity to feed starving children and most of your money went to "administrative overhead" instead of actually feeding starving children, you would consider your funds ill used.

But you don't consider your money ill used when campaign consultants spend it on themselves instead of the candidate you support and the election they're supposed to be trying to win? Strange.

mosquitobite
05-20-2014, 06:59 AM
You've probably all seen this making the rounds. As I read it, it sounded eerily similar to the farce that have become political campaigns. By ignoring it, we're all helping to keep the artificial bubble of money in politics.

http://www.tickld.com/x/angry-graduate-just-wrote-this-letter-to-his-university-its-hard-not-to-agree-

Matt Collins
05-20-2014, 09:16 AM
"They're using the media to brainwash people into thinking that their donations to Republican PACs are entirely a waste of money."

If you gave money to a charity to feed starving children and most of your money went to "administrative overhead" instead of actually feeding starving children, you would consider your funds ill used.

But your don't consider your money ill used when campaign consultants spend it on themselves instead of the candidate you support and the election they're supposed to be trying to win? Strange.

It takes money to make money.

Badger Paul
05-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Yes, especially for youself.

angelatc
05-20-2014, 02:10 PM

OH look, a liberal chimes in.

We aren't talking about charity, we're talking about a PAC. If the article had said that a lot of political organizations are run shabbily, then nobody would disagree that it is important to look at where your money is going and ensure that what you hope to accomplish with it is the same thing they are actually accomplishing with it.

But you don't consider your money ill used when campaign consultants spend it on themselves instead of the candidate you support and the election they're supposed to be trying to win?

This has nothing to do with my money. I didn't send any money to draft Ben Carson - he's a gun grabber.

Anyway, that's not what I said and you bloody well know it. What I said is that there is no Earthly reason to believe that the conservatives are the only people running PACs that raise a lot of money with only questionable spending. Therefore we should be aware that the media is only reporting about the conservative PACS, and speculate about what purpose their messaging really is designed to accomplish.

Strange.

Obtuse.

jjdoyle
05-20-2014, 05:30 PM
OH look, a liberal chimes in.

We aren't talking about charity, we're talking about a PAC. If the article had said that a lot of political organizations are run shabbily, then nobody would disagree that it is important to look at where your money is going and ensure that what you hope to accomplish with it is the same thing they are actually accomplishing with it.

I would disagree. I don't know any political organization that is run shabbily. The ones I know, have been run, and are run exactly as designed. All about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
And saying that nobody would disagree it's important to look where your money is going, is completely a defeatist statement. WHY would anybody, giving money to a PAC, charity, or political campaign, REALLY care where the money is going? They give money to feel better about themselves. I know almost every donor to Ron Paul 2012 feels extremely good about how much was accomplished. Fewer votes than Rick Santorum. Delegates run over by the Romney bus. But OUR experts were employed for months, accomplishing so little. AND for THAT, it was worth the nearly $40 million.

Who cares if emails/stated goals are not being accomplished, or even tried for? Not me! If you are questioning where the funds go, and what they are being used for, YOU might be the PROBLEM.

This idea of looking where the money is going, is nothing more than being a backseat driver, trying to have more say, and is generally just not helpful. Are you on the same level of some of these experts? I doubt it...

What's your level of education? Job? Political experience? Have you ever gotten fewer votes than Rick Santorum in a national election, after raising more money than he did, and remaining in the race longer than he was? No?! Didn't think so...

*BTW, tickets to the first monthly PAC PAC event in D.C. next year, should be going on sale soon. Only $10,000 a ticket, and you will gain you lots of information you didn't already know, as well as a chicken dinner! If you don't attend, well then we know who isn't serious about winning.

#AlwaysPromoting #AlwaysFundraising #AlwaysBuildingAList