PDA

View Full Version : New York Calls for Ban on Face Scrub Microbeads

DamianTV
05-18-2014, 03:59 PM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/new-york-calls-for-ban-on-face-scrub-microbeads/

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/microbeads-640x480.jpg

If you've ever used a face- or body-scrubbing product, it's likely that it contained plastic microbeads. These microbeads work to slough away dead skin, but just like other plastic products they represent an environmental hazard. For this reason, efforts are being made in New York to ban this plastic pollution from products.

Microbeads are tiny spherical beads made out of polyethylene or polypropylene ranging in size from 0.004mm to 1.24mm. They can be found in products including Clearasil, Clean & Clear, L'Oreal and Neutrogena exfoliating face and body washes as well as some toothpastes. A study estimates that nearly 19 tons of microbeads are potentially discharged into the wastewater stream of the State of New York alone each year.

The problem with these microbeads is that they are just washed down the drain. Because they are so small and buoyant, many escape capture by wastewater treatment plants, which tend to filter water through screens that have holes bigger than the microbeads.

The beads go on to act as "sponges for toxic chemical pollutants" and are mistaken for food by aquatic organisms. This means that the pollutants can enter the food chain and contaminate fish that humans eat, as well as birds, turtles and mammals.

More on link.

05-18-2014, 04:25 PM
I'm generally against product bans, but this one does make sense.

angelatc
05-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm generally against product bans, but this one does make sense.

States' rights. No problem with NY banning anything they want to ban.

proudclod229
05-18-2014, 09:18 PM
They dont work anyway--hemp soap all the way.

What is so damned wrong with society that we don't have HUGE distillation chamber anyway...

aiaiai

Anti Federalist
05-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Not a day in AmeriKa unless something is being banned.

Tod
05-18-2014, 09:39 PM
I hereby ban myself from buying these products. As for the rest of you, do as you like.

kpitcher
05-18-2014, 09:50 PM
These microbeads are a huge environmental issue. But you can tell this company doesn't have a strong lobby. BP can spray oil dissolvers that are worse than just oil, cause lots of cleanup worker problems and community issues, and it's business as usual.

Anti Federalist
05-18-2014, 09:55 PM
These microbeads are a huge environmental issue. But you can tell this company doesn't have a strong lobby. BP can spray oil dissolvers that are worse than just oil, cause lots of cleanup worker problems and community issues, and it's business as usual.

Not to discount the chain of stupidity behind the chain of events that caused the Horizon/Macando spill, but the oil dispersants were no more harmful than commercially available "Gunk" engine cleaner.

It was basically the same stuff.

nobody's_hero
05-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Hmm . . . defeat acne or save the planet. Defeat acne . . .Or save the planet.

Guess you'll have to go outside of New York to wash your face.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Hmm . . . defeat acne or save the planet. Defeat acne . . .Or save the planet.

Guess you'll have to go outside of New York to wash your face.
lmao

oyarde
05-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Never heard of this stuff before . The selling that much of it in NY ?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Global warming AND microbeads?!

Oh nose--I just shit myself!

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-18-2014, 11:16 PM
They dont work anyway

I was thinking that too. I'm guessing it's cheaper to bottle up this stuff than natural, which probably means a more symmetrical product. Sand probably works better than some of this crap.

Cheapening any lousy product to an even cheaper degree means less effectiveness, which--in turn--eventually results in fewer customers. The pendulum would swing back in the natural equilibrium cycle. That cycle is never fast enough for the self-important and others who make these issues their religion.

Barrex
05-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Numbers are confusing...

Cost of enforcing this regulation few millions (or add few 0 at the end)...What is number for "few"?
Number of people using this thingy in New York? Less than a million?
Number of these "toxic thingies" that end up in sea? 1000?
Documented fishes that eat these thingies? 0
Documented dead fishes because of this product? so far 0. But some day that number could climb to 1!!!

Only logical explanation is that in future ginger people and acne people plan to have some sort of ritual where they will daily sacrifice "Scrub Microbeads" to "Sea god" to get them rid of their curse. Apparently they will cover themselves in fish food and "cleanse" themselves with "Scrub Microbeads" and then throw it into the sea"."

*this theory makes as much sense as this ban

DamianTV
05-19-2014, 06:37 AM
So my current question is: If Banberg wants to ban these products, how did they get on the market to begin with?

tod evans
05-19-2014, 06:48 AM
So my current question is: If Banberg wants to ban these products, how did they get on the market to begin with?

The same way those shifty dopers skirted the drug laws initially...:eek:

This will require analog laws in regards to micro-beads, and soda, and cigarettes, and, and, and.......

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 07:25 AM

What does this have to do with Bloomberg? He's not mayor of NYC anymore and this is being contemplated by the state government.

Keith and stuff
05-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Acne treatment may soon be illegal in New York. Yet another reason leading to the theory that New York is by far the least free state in the nation.

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Acne treatment may soon be illegal in New York.

Source?

Keith and stuff
05-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Source?

Perhaps saying many products used to treat acne may soon be illegal in New York would be more accurate? :toady:

Thor
05-19-2014, 08:54 AM
The problem with these microbeads is that they are just washed down the drain. Because they are so small and buoyant, many escape capture by wastewater treatment plants, which tend to filter water through screens that have holes bigger than the microbeads.

Ummm... add another smaller holed screen after the screen with bigger holes? Or ban the product...

donnay
05-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Ummm... add another smaller holed screen after the screen with bigger holes? Or ban the product...

Right get microscreens to capture the microbeads and any other micro-toxins...but we all know that is just too easy, banning things and petty power is what these people love. Then they will create a black market for these products and it will still continue...

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 10:00 AM

You do realise the cost involved in this, right?

Carlybee
05-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Lava soap and alcohol will burn the acne right off your face. I personally don't have acne but use coconut oil and raw sugar for a scrub.

donnay
05-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Honey works well to rid acne.

Suzanimal
05-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Never had acne, when I was a teen I used a rough washcloth and Ivory soap. If a pimple popped up I just dabbed rubbing alcohol on it.

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 11:16 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3685436/zit-pop-o.gif

ZENemy
05-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Persistent acne comes from WITHIN and will not be helped by this snake oil product anyhow. Still though people should be free to get ripped off.

jtap
05-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Bizarre that "tiny spherical beads made out of polyethylene or polypropylene ranging in size from 0.004mm to 1.24mm" are cheaper to make than to put some sand particles in there.

MadelineJ
05-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Bizarre that "tiny spherical beads made out of polyethylene or polypropylene ranging in size from 0.004mm to 1.24mm" are cheaper to make than to put some sand particles in there.
live is also very harmful:o everybody die:eek:

eduardo89
05-19-2014, 11:58 AM
live is also very harmful:o everybody die:eek:

interesting article

good thread :D

absolutely agreed

I already own the book, it's cool!!!
I haven't seen it!

This account does not seem suspicious at all.

VIDEODROME
05-19-2014, 12:07 PM

They probably originate as the by-product of manufacturing some other plastic product somewhere else such as a stamping plant. The beads are scooped up from the factory and resold to put in these face scrub products.

devil21
05-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Makes sense. Now that Wall Street has been cleaned up and NY's huge budget deficits are resolved, they have to find something to do.

2young2vote
05-19-2014, 05:24 PM
The article conveniently leaves out any actual negative side-effects of the beads being released into the water. There were a lot of "cans" and "coulds" in that article. This is one of those times that the court system should be used rather than legislation. If someone can prove damages to themselves and others they then should be able to sue.