PDA

View Full Version : “I wanted power to use it. And I’m going to use it.”

Anti Federalist
05-18-2014, 03:40 PM
And here we are, 50 years later, pretty much my lifetime to the day: 18 trillion dollars in debt, more people in prison than any other nation on earth, by any definition living under a police/surveillance state the scope and size of which Orwell could not have imagined, the states effectively castrated in their dealings with the FedGov, regulation without representation as hundreds of alphabet soup agencies write millions of regulations that have the force of law and arm to the teeth against the people, hair-trigger, out of control militarized cops armed by the Feds that will shoot you, your loved ones or your pets if you so much as twitch funny, the black family utterly destroyed and young black men living fatherless under perpetual unemployment and threat of prison, other ethnic groups, including whites, following close behind...

I could go on and on.

You get the point.

The bloody coup of 1963 has, by the perspective of the PTB that really run this train wreck, been wildly successful.

Mission Accomplished...you destroyed the last remaining obstacle to world government and the world wide surveillance state AKA The Prison Planet.

Fuck you Lyndon, for all that we know you did, and for all that we think you did.

Fuck you.

LBJ’s unprecedented and ambitious domestic vision changed the nation. Half a century later, it continues to define politics and power in America.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/05/17/the-great-society-at-50/?tid=pm_pop

<snip>

“We are living in Lyndon Johnson’s America,” said Joseph A. Califano Jr., who was LBJ’s top domestic policy adviser from 1965 through the end of his presidency. “This country is more the country of Lyndon Johnson than any other president.”

<snip>

“I never thought I’d have the power,” Johnson told Goodwin and Moyers. “I wanted power to use it. And I’m going to use it.”

<snip>

The irony, of course, is that while Reagan and other presidents tried to eradicate Great Society programs, nearly all survived in some form, and spending on them continued to rise. The federal government has grown even larger — more than five times as big as it was in 1960, in real dollars — while public faith in it stands near all-time lows.

<snip>

The economy was booming, ginned up by a big tax cut. America was mourning a slain president who had ignited its idealism. The civil rights movement had awakened its conscience. The nation was led by a president of unmatched legislative skills. And confidence in Washington was as high as pollsters have ever seen it.

Back then, when Americans were asked how often they trusted the federal government to do what is right, nearly 80 percent said just about always or most of the time, according to data compiled by the Pew Research Center.

That confidence would begin to erode dramatically in the mid-1960s as Vietnam and social disruption surrounding the Great Society shook Americans’ faith in the government that had brought them through the Depression and World War II.

By the end of 1966, their favorable view of Washington had declined sharply, to 65 percent — and it had a lot farther to go. It stood at 19 percent after last year’s government shutdown.

(Oh how wish that 19 percent meant something. It means nothing, other 81 percent of Idiot AmeriKa is pissed that the Feds are not spending more, handing out more, and tyrannizing both at home and abroad, more. - AF)

Anti Federalist
05-18-2014, 03:48 PM
And no topic on LBJ is complete without this gem, quoted when trying to "sell" the Great Society plan to skeptical governors.

“I’ll have those ******s voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” — Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One.

Quote in the book, “Inside The White House” by Ronald Kessler.

http://patdollard.com/2014/02/flashback-lyndon-johnson-on-phony-war-on-poverty-ill-have-those-*******-voting-democratic-for-the-next-200-years/#lahgV7Wg4u3S8Ozu.99

AuH20
05-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Wilson, FDR, & Johnson moved the pendulum so far that they changed the political status quo with each completion of their terms.

acptulsa
05-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Wilson, FDR, & Johnson moved the pendulum so far that they changed the political status quo with each completion of their terms.

Yeah. But after Wilson the voters were able to sneak a conservative in there to swing the pendulum back.

He and his veep did just that--and we haven't seen a conservative in the White House since.

Anti Federalist
05-18-2014, 09:18 PM
////

kcchiefs6465
05-18-2014, 09:55 PM
In February 1964, George Papandreou was elected prime minister by a huge majority. He tried to remain on friendly terms with the Americans, but President Lyndon Johnson's White House was pressuring him to sacrifice Greek interests on the disputed island of Cyprus in favor of Turkey, where the United States was also building military bases. Both Greece and Turkey has been members of NATO since 1952, but by the mid-1960s the United States seemed more interested in cultivating Turkey. When the Greek ambassador told President Johnson that his proposed solution to the Cyprus dispute was unacceptable to the Greek parliament, Johnson reportedly responded. "Fuck your parliament and your constitution. We pay a lot of good American dollars to the Greeks. If your prime minister gives me talk about democracy, parliament, and constitutions, he, his parliament, and his constitution may not last very long." And they did not.
This is an excerpt from, Sorrows of Empire by Chalmers Johnson, pg. 205. In the book he attributes this quotation to Killing Hope: U.S. Military and C.I.A. Interventions since World War II by William Blum. I don't have that book handy to check the source of William Blum. It was mentioned in Chapter 35 (of Killing Hope).

The quote appears elsewhere and was attributed to a book by the title I Should Have Died by Philippe Gigantès. I am not sure that that is who Blum quoted (for one, the quote is completely different).

In any case, regardless of whether Johnson ever explicitly said that or not, it is undoubtedly how he felt. He carried himself like a mobster and it really isn't hard to see why.