PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Peter King Would Run in 2016 Just to Prevent President Paul

RonPaulFanInGA
05-17-2014, 08:23 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rep-peter-king-would-run-in-2016-just-to-prevent-president-cruz-or-paul/

Republican Senators Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Marco Rubio get thrown around a lot as possible GOP presidential candidates for 2016. One prominent Republican who does not get mentioned much in that context is Rep. Peter King (R-NY). But during one of his frequent interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Friday, King said he is seriously considering making a run at the nomination, if only to prevent those younger, more right-wing candidates from becoming president.

Asked by Blitzer about his 2016 plans, King said he’s “certainly looking at” the possibility, which will include a trip to New Hampshire next month. He said when he ran into Hillary Clinton yesterday he told her to “get ready.”

“I’m looking at this because I see people like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, and to me, I don’t want the Republican Party going in that direction,” King said. Whether it’s him or someone else, he said he would do what he can to make sure the “realistic foreign policy wing” or “national security wing” of the party “does not give in to the isolationists.”

Rep. King has clashed with the younger generation of Republicans repeatedly over the last several years, recently saying Sen. Paul would make a “disastrous president” and acting as the leading critic of the Sen. Cruz-led government shutdown last fall.

malkusm
05-17-2014, 08:27 PM
https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/hostedimages/1380943210/3438941.jpg

Kords21
05-17-2014, 08:31 PM
That's just as likely as me entering a marathon to prevent a runner from Africa winning it. Keep dreaming King, you'll be laughed off the stage soon.

amy31416
05-17-2014, 08:38 PM
I bet that if he runs, the only result will be that he destroys his own political career.

libertyplz
05-17-2014, 08:54 PM
I think Peter King can only Make Rand look good in the eyes of the public, come debate time.

I'm not saying that in jest either! I truly think Peter King will unwittingly help Rand becuase Peter King is so absurdly ridiculous that I can't see anyone taking him seriously and will make Rand seem rational to even the most hawkish of hawks (okay maybe I'm pushing it there :p)

I think King will go far in discrediting his own wing of the party. (lets hope I'm not over estimating the public here >.<)

Crashland
05-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Please, Peter King, run for president. It's about time we see the blustering irrational face of the declining interventionist policing-the-world wing of the party, on full display. King is like a cross between Giuliani and Limbaugh

Brett85
05-17-2014, 09:46 PM
The ironic thing is that Peter King would actually help Rand if he ran. He would just divide the vote up among the neocons even more, (even though he would probably get about 1%) and he would just look ridiculous and make Rand look good.

Brian4Liberty
05-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Peter King is on The List (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?450257-Neoconservatives-The-List).

philipped
05-17-2014, 10:18 PM
This has to be a joke, as a millennial I'd label King as part of the "Old Guard", "Former Century", "Overly Aggressive" faction of the GOP that needs to go sit somewhere, and let the next set of generations lead the country from this point on. I think if Rand's front runner status stays and expands, it will be clear that Rand took what his father started and split the GOP by a generation line.

And if someone could paint the primary battle like that for my specifically for millennials, I really think SOME of the people in my age group that see themselves as Independents will side with the GOP long term. I really think these statists in the GOP are slowing down the imminent Randslide.

Matt Collins
05-18-2014, 01:05 PM
He'll do as well as Rudy did.

Kotin
05-18-2014, 01:06 PM
funny thing is, he really is one of the worst choices to do just that.. he will only serve to make Rand even more palatable..

devil21
05-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Another Gingrich/Adelson zombie campaign. He'll enjoy having Adelson, et al fill his bank account but past that he'll have nothing but hyperbole and fear to campaign on. People are war weary and growing increasingly aware of the Israel connection to our foreign policy. Go for it Peter. You'll make a great contrast to a non-interventionist message and also help lump Cruz and Rubio into the war party wing when they are put on the spot about their war for Israel views.

phill4paul
05-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Good. A debate with him in the mix against Rand would be worth popping the corn and a few bottle caps.

acptulsa
05-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Could work. If the moderator is careful to ensure that Rand Paul always speaks after King, people will still be laughing so hard none of them will hear a single word Paul says.

eduardo89
05-18-2014, 03:00 PM
I bet that if he runs, the only result will be that he destroys his own political career.
Moneybomb for King?

Deborah K
05-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Let the idiot run. He doesn't even know the difference between isolationism and non-interventionism. Rand will eat him alive on that topic.

FriedChicken
05-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Moneybomb for King?

At first I lol'd ... but then ... hmm... not a bad idea. :)

Realistically speaking, is there something we can do to make it more likely he runs? Him joining in the race would be AWESOME!

luctor-et-emergo
05-18-2014, 03:28 PM
FEAR.

They're talking about him...

Hyperion
05-18-2014, 03:35 PM
The ironic thing is that Peter King would actually help Rand if he ran. He would just divide the vote up among the neocons even more, (even though he would probably get about 1%) and he would just look ridiculous and make Rand look good.

Exactly correct.

anaconda
05-18-2014, 07:03 PM
That's just as likely as me entering a marathon to prevent a runner from Africa winning it. Keep dreaming King, you'll be laughed off the stage soon.

How many double shots of Bushmills were required for Peter King to taunt Hillary with "Get Ready!??"

anaconda
05-18-2014, 07:11 PM
With this in mind, shall we expect the RINO establishment GOP primary candidates to play to the "left" or to the "right" of Billary on "national security?" My guess is that they will play slightly to the "left" of Billary (to cash in on anti-interventionist sentiment). But this could backfire if Billary tries to go further "left" of the RINOS on the issue. Which could cause some form of competition for the most "leftist" position, which could push them dangerously close to the Rand Paul position...

anaconda
05-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Rudy had a big lead in the polls in 2007.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/26803/giuliani-solidifies-lead-republican-nomination-poll.aspx

angelatc
05-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Rep. Peter King Would Run in 2016 Just to Prevent President Paul (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?452211-Rep-Peter-King-Would-Run-in-2016-Just-to-Prevent-President-Paul)

I think Paul and Cruz are probably totally on board with this.

NewRightLibertarian
05-18-2014, 07:37 PM

He's way less formidable than Rudy, and the public support has shifted greatly since 2007-2008. King running would be great news because he's a caricature. With him and Santorum up there, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel for Rand

Christian Liberty
05-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Hold on... is Peter King calling Ted Cruz an isolationist? Wow.... I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. I probably need to do both simultaneously. I thought it was bad when they did it to Rand (or even Ron, for that matter) but Ted Cruz? Wow... Calling Ted Cruz an isolationist is kind of like calling Sola_Fide an Arminian...

NewRightLibertarian
05-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Hold on... is Peter King calling Ted Cruz an isolationist? Wow.... I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. I probably need to do both simultaneously. I thought it was bad when they did it to Rand (or even Ron, for that matter) but Ted Cruz? Wow... Calling Ted Cruz an isolationist is kind of like calling Sola_Fide an Arminian...

It's absurd. IMO, if you believe any of this nonsense, I think Cruz and maybe Scott Walker are the guys who Rand needs to be afraid of. They could steal away a lot of the hard-line conservative voters from him.

Tywysog Cymru
05-19-2014, 05:18 AM

Remember that according to the Weekly Standard, Obama is an isolationist.

TomtheTinker
05-19-2014, 09:51 AM
RUN PETE RUN!!!

acptulsa
05-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Moneybomb for King?

Don't give him a penny until he signs an ironclad contract to run for president.

Nobody wants to give the fool money for nothing.

05-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Peter King announces run, general public responds with "who?".

Congressmen don't win the presidency, didn't we all learn that lesson?

roho76
05-19-2014, 10:55 AM
I would love to watch him and Santorum freak out on stage over Rand foreign policy. I can't think of a better recruiting tool. Rand better have some witty, STFU, style backhands ready.

boat6868
05-19-2014, 03:12 PM
I think he would quickly find out that it seems that Fox News is the only one who seems to value his opinion and how irrelevant he is on the national stage. What a clown.

asurfaholic
05-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Its all mind games. They (the establishment) know that certain words or terms have a broad negative connection to a general population.

Like the term "conspiracy theorist" causes some people to start foaming at the mouth to call those people paranoid crazy lunatics, they probably learned during 2008/12 that calling someone isolationist was effective enough to sway public opinion a couple degrees.

Strongly worded letters should put an end to this travesty.

JK/SEA
05-19-2014, 03:34 PM
gotta admit, he has a very marketable name....just rolls off the tongue like a turd.

Matt Collins
05-19-2014, 11:58 PM
rolls off the tongue like a turd.uhhh... I've never had that happen before :(

fr33
05-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Another Gingrich/Adelson zombie campaign. He'll enjoy having Adelson, et al fill his bank account but past that he'll have nothing but hyperbole and fear to campaign on. People are war weary and growing increasingly aware of the Israel connection to our foreign policy. Go for it Peter. You'll make a great contrast to a non-interventionist message and also help lump Cruz and Rubio into the war party wing when they are put on the spot about their war for Israel views.

I kind of doubt that Adelson would give money to an IRA supporter. King would be more like Perry last election. Quick to fizzle out.