PDA

View Full Version : ‘Hump Day’ event cancelled, students claim bringing camel to campus was racist

Origanalist
05-17-2014, 06:05 AM
A student group planned to bring a camel to campus for "Hump Day" event.

The event was cancelled after students complained that the camel could be considered racist.

http://www.campusreform.org/img/CROBlog/5623/HUMP-DAY.jpg

Students at the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota have cancelled an event to celebrate the end of the year after complaints that bringing a camel on campus could offend those of Middle Eastern cultures.

The “Hump Day” event, put on by the Residence Hall Association (RHA), was supposed to be “a petting zoo type of atmosphere” in which students could hang out and take photos with a live camel. According to Aaron Macke, the group’s advisor, the camel is owned by a local vendor and trained for special events.

“It appears however, this program is dividing people and would make for an uncomfortable and possibly unsafe environment for everyone attending or providing the program. As a result, RHA has decided to cancel the event.” Tweet This

But the event was subsequently cancelled after students took to Facebook to proclaim their concerns. The students said they were concerned about the money spent on bringing the camel to campus—around $500—and the implication that it would be racially insensitive to Middle Eastern cultures.

The Facebook group called “Protest Hump DAAAAAAY!” had more than 100 RSVP’d attendees before it was deleted on Wednesday.

“RHA’s goal in programming is to bring residents together in a fun and safe environment where all people can enjoy themselves,” RHA president Lindsay Goodwin said in a statement on RHA’s Facebook page. “It appears however, this program is dividing people and would make for an uncomfortable and possibly unsafe environment for everyone attending or providing the program. As a result, RHA has decided to cancel the event.”

continued...http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=5623

tod evans
05-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Oh good grief!

Ban bananas and jalapenos too.............And rice!

specsaregood
05-17-2014, 06:12 AM
Students at the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota have cancelled an event to celebrate the end of the year after complaints that bringing a camel on campus could offend those of Middle Eastern cultures.
And yet, Australia has the largest wild camel population in the world.

Origanalist
05-17-2014, 06:17 AM

They're about due for a invasion...just saying....

tod evans
05-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Does camel taste like chicken?

Occam's Banana
05-17-2014, 06:28 AM

Not only that, the Aussies actually export camels to Saudi Arabia ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2038834.stm

green73
05-17-2014, 07:03 AM
The mind fucking is real, folks.

phill4paul
05-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Ah, the Hitler Youth has learned it's lessons well and has become all that was hoped for.

kahless
05-17-2014, 07:50 AM
The mind fucking is real, folks.

Exactly. Everyone knows it is not racist in anyway, this is about conditioning.

Matt Collins
05-17-2014, 08:24 AM
http://pppcatalog.com/store/image/cache/data/w17-1-speed-hump-sign-400x400.jpg

Danke
05-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Camels?

"...uncomfortable and possibly unsafe environment for everyone attending or providing the program" Wouldn't it be goats then that should be excluded?

FriedChicken
05-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Their is evidence of racism here ...

Whoever instantly thought - Camel? Muslim! Camel means Muslim! White people with a camel ... offensive to Muslims!

Is guilty of:
1. associating an animal with a people group.
2. making broad assumptions about said people group
*Muslims associate themselves with camels
*Muslims are offended if white people take pictures with camels
*Muslims are easy to offend
*Muslims wouldn't appreciate seeing a real life camel on campus
*Muslims won't take offense being associated, in the minds of the politically correct, with a camel petting zoo.

These things aren't proof that this person is a racist, but cause some questions. Why would a normal person see a picture of a camel and immediately assume it would offend someone?
Only someone who has made sweeping and shallow generalizations about said people group would come to this conclusion - revealing their shallow view of said people group.

phill4paul
05-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Whoever instantly thought - Camel? Muslim! Camel means Muslim! White people with a camel ... offensive to Muslims!

Is guilty of:
*Muslims won't take offense being associated, in the minds of the politically correct, with a camel petting zoo.

These things aren't proof that this person is a racist, but cause some questions. Why would a normal person see a picture of a camel and immediately assume it would offend someone?
Only someone who has made sweeping and shallow generalizations about said people group would come to this conclusion - revealing their shallow view of said people group.

+rep

Origanalist
05-17-2014, 08:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mYRztwi.jpg

jkob
05-17-2014, 08:57 AM
man something needs to be down about these zombies at these college campuses

ChristianAnarchist
05-17-2014, 09:04 AM
I swear I never even made the connection to Muslims until I read the article. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!! I'VE BEEN TRANSPORTED TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE !!!!

Anti Federalist
05-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Oh good grief!

Ban bananas and jalapenos too.............And rice!

Ban something goddamnit.

It's not a day in AmeriKa if something is not being banned, or someone's pussy being hurt over something.

SMMFH.

angelatc
05-17-2014, 12:37 PM
I am afraid of clowns.

Anti Federalist
05-17-2014, 12:48 PM
I am afraid of clowns.

Clownaphobe.

coastie
05-17-2014, 12:49 PM
What do you call an Arab doctor?

A Doctor, you fucking racists, what else would you call him?
:p

AuH20
05-17-2014, 12:54 PM
All camels need jockeys? Right? :)

juleswin
05-17-2014, 01:00 PM
I think people just ignore outrages like this. If you give in or even pay attention to them, they win and you dont want whinny snowflakes that these people winning anything.

Origanalist
05-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Clownaphobe.

Clown sensitivity training indicated.

Origanalist
05-17-2014, 01:02 PM
I think people just ignore outrages like this. If you give in or even pay attention to them, they win and you dont want whinny snowflakes that these people winning anything.

I think you're wrong. If you don't fight it they just get bolder. Ignoring it does not make it go away.

juleswin
05-17-2014, 01:12 PM
I think you're wrong. If you don't fight it they just get bolder. Ignoring it does not make it go away.

That too but we can agree that cancelling hump day in response to their protest is no way of fighting them, right? These people are like internet trolls, the want your attention and that is why ignoring or ridicule is the best response to them. Like my mom used to say "silence is the best answer for a fool" in this case, real life trolls

Origanalist
05-17-2014, 01:17 PM
That too but we can agree that cancelling hump day in response to their protest is no way of fighting them, right? These people are like internet trolls, the want your attention and that is why ignoring or ridicule is the best response to them. Like my mom used to say "silence is the best answer for a fool" in this case, real life trolls

I misunderstood your point, I couldn't agree more.

MelissaWV
05-17-2014, 01:26 PM
I would be more worried about MERS.

Incidentally, MERS is obviously also racist.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-17-2014, 02:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

John F Kennedy III
05-18-2014, 01:12 AM
I am afraid of clowns.

I'm afraid of people who are afraid of clowns.

rprprs
05-18-2014, 07:41 AM
I used to find this mildly amusing, despite realizing that it might be offensive to certain segments of the population.
Now that I know it's also racist, I call for nothing short of amputation!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm139/rprprs/cameltoe_zps6b155f1b.jpg

enhanced_deficit
05-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Is guilty of:

Seems like same mindset as that of handlers of disgraced swc dronegang:

Obama cancelled trip to Sikh temple for fear of looking moslem in photos (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?410133-Obama-cancelled-trip-to-Sikh-temple-for-fear-of-looking-moslem-in-photos)
"Barack Obama 'will not visit Golden Temple over Muslim photo fears'

Members of Mr Obama's White House team reportedly visited India last month and told Indian officials they were concerned that if the president wore the traditional headscarf during a visit to the Golden Temple, the photographs might be used to portray him as a Muslim, according to the New Delhi-based Indian Express.

Henry Rogue
05-18-2014, 09:19 AM
I used to find this mildly amusing, despite realizing that it might be offensive to certain segments of the population.
Now that I know it's also racist, I call for nothing short of amputation!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm139/rprprs/cameltoe_zps6b155f1b.jpg

Camel toe, that's not racist, that's sexist.

VIDEODROME
05-18-2014, 09:28 AM
http://tobaccotimeline.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joe-camel-phonebooth-19901.jpg

Origanalist
05-18-2014, 09:29 AM

Then why is the camel black?

enhanced_deficit
05-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Then why is the camel black?

Cuz white ink is never used for tattoos lol

Origanalist
05-18-2014, 09:36 AM

It's good to know people check their privilege at the tattoo parlor.

juleswin
05-18-2014, 09:43 AM

I don't get it, what is sexist about a black camel tattoo on a big toe?

FindLiberty
05-18-2014, 10:08 AM
There Oughta Be A [another] Law.

Paulbot99
05-18-2014, 11:31 AM

It's a camel toe.:cool:

John F Kennedy III
05-18-2014, 12:53 PM

More white privilege.

specsaregood
05-18-2014, 01:01 PM

I had a roommate years ago that had a tattoo that was only visible under a black light. It glowed pretty much white under those.

phill4paul
05-18-2014, 01:57 PM
I had a roommate years ago that had a tattoo that was only visible under a black light. It glowed pretty much white under those.

Now that is a pretty cool idea. Never heard of that. At least it would keep TPTB from documenting identifiable markings.

MelissaWV
05-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Now that is a pretty cool idea. Never heard of that. At least it would keep TPTB from documenting identifiable markings.

I hope it didn't say anything objectionable. There are parts of Disney that have black lights (btw, also racist, right?). It would be a shame if mommy forgot about that ink and her child said "Mommy why does it say 'Super Slut' across your shoulder?"

specsaregood
05-18-2014, 03:33 PM
I hope it didn't say anything objectionable. There are parts of Disney that have black lights (btw, also racist, right?). It would be a shame if mommy forgot about that ink and her child said "Mommy why does it say 'Super Slut' across your shoulder?"

fwiw: it was a potleaf tattoo.

MelissaWV
05-18-2014, 03:39 PM
fwiw: it was a potleaf tattoo.

Could still lead to an awkward situation or two lol

I know my mom used to hold "moon walk" events for preschool kids and their parents when she taught, and there were black lights involved. I can imagine that coming up.

Carson
05-18-2014, 03:40 PM
I think if I would have made it, it would have been for a chance to see some camel toe.

Hey if someone doesn't vote for someone because of his color, and someone else votes for him because of his color, is that good and bad racism or are they all just racist?

Henry Rogue
05-18-2014, 04:28 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_toe

juleswin
05-18-2014, 04:34 PM

So that is what it is. wink wink :)

Pauls' Revere
05-18-2014, 04:38 PM
I am afraid of clowns.

That may be, but do you finds them offensive?

Suzanimal
05-18-2014, 05:13 PM

So that is what it is. wink wink :)

Not sexist, thanks to skinny jeans men now get them too.

Henry Rogue
05-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Not sexist, thanks to skinny jeans men now get them too.
Three toed camel hoof?

Suzanimal
05-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Three toed camel hoof?

You want a pic? I have a collection.

phill4paul
05-18-2014, 06:03 PM
You want a pic? I have a collection.

Mods, ban Suzanimal. Now!

Henry Rogue
05-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Mods, ban Suzanimal. Now!
I learned a lesson today. Never ask Suzanimal a question you don't want the answer to.

WM_in_MO
05-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Spaghetti dinner cancelled, citing racism towards Italians.

alucard13mm
05-18-2014, 06:37 PM
This is why we cant have nice things ;p... My favorite character was speedy gonzales and pepe le pew ;P......... They aren't around anymore :<

otherone
05-18-2014, 06:47 PM
They should ban douche bags then, because they are a liberal stereotype.