PDA

View Full Version : 170 students suspended at once for violating dress code in one day

UWDude
05-17-2014, 12:12 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/texas-high-school-sends-170-students-home-for-violating-the-dress-code-204520268.html

Student Jose Marquez was suspended on Wednesday and said, “The teacher just calls me and tells me to lift my shirt up and I didn’t have a belt on. So [no] belt and ID and got kicked out.” Edward Ramirez, a junior with a 3.5 GPA said he had never been written up before the dress code sweep. He told KDFW, “The staff told me that my shirt was out of dress code despite the fact that it is a school spirit shirt.” The dress code does include an exception to the policy allowing principals to OK school spirit shirts like the one Ramirez wore, on stipulated days. Some students said that faculty allowed the spirit shirts on most days.

However, many of the students disagree with that statement saying that there are very few times that the dress code is enforced and the timing of this sweep couldn’t have been worse. The crackdown occurred right before the school’s scheduled final exams, which caused many students to miss critical reviews in classes. Smith, a second year principal at the school, said, “No day is a good day to send students home. We want students in the classroom…We want to teach them that they must meet the expectations not only here in school, but outside of school as well.”

Training the slaves. Making them fail finals, for their own good.

Maybe, in a cynical way, the staff believed this was a way to make sure the grades rose dramatically, as all the "rule followers" woudl only be taking hte tests... ....and get better federal funding?

I dunno, it's just crazy. The code required every male wear a belt, and nobody could wear shirts with words or pictures on them.

Yeah. Plain shirts only.

Anti Federalist
05-17-2014, 12:18 AM
Prisoners will comply with prison dress code at all times.

Anti Federalist
05-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Training the slaves. Making them fail finals, for their own good.

Pretty good at fucking up their life, since now your dang'an will reflect your non compliance.

Boss did his job in filling the school to prison quota.

kcchiefs6465
05-17-2014, 12:22 AM
It's gotten worse, it seems.

Quark
05-17-2014, 12:31 AM
My high school made us wear polo shirts, no label or words over 2 by 2 inches, and no jeans or sweat-pants (the latter must be worn in gym class.) Do you know what the effect of this was? A lot of wasted time bitching at students that they aren't in dress code that could've been spent actually teaching. And people wonder why education costs so much for so little in return.

dannno
05-17-2014, 12:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

fr33
05-17-2014, 01:24 AM
heh, I've seen the local news covering this story the past few days. As someone who went to school 70 miles from there, they have it easy. Boys can have long hair in Dallas. Maybe they're trying to catch up with the rural areas now. This shit reminds me of how some teachers were deathly afraid of Marilyn Manson t-shirts. We were like; "You're an adult and you're afraid of t-shirts?"

Spikender
05-17-2014, 01:40 AM
Student ID? Check.

Acceptable School Dress? Check.

No way to defend yourself? Check.

Compliant and docile behavior? Check.

No fishing knife left in your vehicle? Check.

Stands up during the Pledge of Allegiance? Check.

Sounds like good little Americans to me.

LibertyEagle
05-17-2014, 02:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

I always chuckle when someone from this forum posts a song by Rage Against the Machine and posing them as the good guys "fighting the man". Especially, when they appear to promote marxism. lol

Occam's Banana
05-17-2014, 03:07 AM
Smith, a second year principal at the school, said, “[...] We want to teach [students] that they must meet the expectations not only here in school, but outside of school as well.”

Mmm-hmmm. I do not doubt this in the slightest ...

http://themortalbath.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/thewall_161pyxurz.jpg

DamianTV
05-17-2014, 05:10 AM
The belt / t-shirt did this to itself.

acptulsa
05-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Well, the good part of this is that in another thirty years HR managers will be like, 'You went to public school and never once got suspended? What the hell is wrong with you?'

phill4paul
05-17-2014, 07:29 AM
One must be squared away to show that one is compliant.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/Ragnar009/dhs9_zps4bc26c6b.jpg

Root
05-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Student ID? Check.

Acceptable School Dress? Check.

No way to defend yourself? Check.

Compliant and docile behavior? Check.

No fishing knife left in your vehicle? Check.

Stands up during the Pledge of Allegiance? Check.

Sounds like good little 'MurKians to me.

fixed

Ender
05-17-2014, 07:50 AM
I always chuckle when someone from this forum posts a song by Rage Against the Machine and posing them as the good guys "fighting the man". Especially, when they appear to promote marxism. lol

Marxism? Don't think so-

Killing in the name of!
Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses
Huh!

Killing in the name of!
Killing in the name of

And now you do what they told ya
But now you do what they told ya
Well now you do what they told ya

Those who died are justified, for wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites
You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites

Uggh!

Killing in the name of!
Killing in the name of

And now you do what they told ya, now you're under control
And now you do what they told ya!

Come on!

Yeah! Come on!

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me
Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!
Motherfucker!
Uggh

Anti Federalist
05-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Marxism? Don't think so-

No, they are pretty left wing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_views_and_activism_of_Rage_Against_the_M achine

jkr
05-17-2014, 01:07 PM
but they are the best marxist band...

jkr
05-17-2014, 01:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55RDNlWnLI

angelatc
05-17-2014, 07:05 PM
I've changed my mind a little about dress code after seeing the clothes that some parents allow their female children to wear to school.

Carson
05-17-2014, 07:22 PM
A couple of years back people were starting let their hair grow.

One guys started getting good so the principle told him to get a hair cut. So the guy not only got one cut he shaved them all off. His head was beacon white like a big full moon walking through the school grounds. Some girl behind him drew a piece sign on his head with her lipstick.

Then I think he got sent home for a couple of days. When he came back he still had the piece sign but now it was there because it got sunburned in from the lipstick protection.

At least that's the way I'm remembering it today and I'm sticking to my story...

dannno
05-17-2014, 07:31 PM
No, they are pretty left wing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_views_and_activism_of_Rage_Against_the_M achine

They are more anti-authoritarian than left-wing. They see big corporations stealing indigenous people's land and so for whatever reason the best strategy they can come up with is to tax big corporations who get free resources and land from governments.

RickyJ
05-17-2014, 07:45 PM
You couldn't pay me to stay in such a school. A HS diploma today is practically worthless anyway.

euphemia
05-17-2014, 07:52 PM
I've changed my mind a little about dress code after seeing how seeing the clothes that some parents allow their female children to wear to school.

I'm not interested in a young man with his pants at half mast, either. One stiff breeze and I'll find out more about him than I ever wanted to know.

Ender
05-19-2014, 10:38 AM
They are more anti-authoritarian than left-wing. They see big corporations stealing indigenous people's land and so for whatever reason the best strategy they can come up with is to tax big corporations who get free resources and land from governments.

Yep- read the words to WAKE UP!

Come on!
Ugh!

Come on, although ya try to discredit
Ya still never edit
The needle, I'll thread it
Radically poetic
Standin' with the fury that they had in '66
And like E-Double I'm mad
Still knee-deep in the system's shit
Hoover, he was a body remover
I'll give ya a dose
But it'll never come close
To the rage built up inside of me
Fist in the air, in the land of hypocrisy

Movements come and movements go
Leaders speak, movements cease
When their heads are flown
Cause all these punks
Got bullets in their heads
Departments of police, the judges, the feds
Networks at work, keepin' people calm
You know they went after King
When he spoke out on Vietnam
He turned the power to the have-nots
And then came the shot

Yeah!
Yeah, back in this
Wit' poetry, my mind I flex
Flip like Wilson, vocals never lackin' dat finesse
Whadda I got to, whadda I got to do to wake ya up
To shake ya up, to break the structure up
Cause blood still flows in the gutter
I'm like takin' photos
Mad boy kicks open the shutter
Set the groove
Then stick and move like I was Cassius
Rep the stutter step
Then bomb a left upon the fascists
Yea, the several federal men
Who pulled schemes on the dream
And put it to an end
Ya better beware
Of retribution with mind war
20/20 visions and murals with metaphors
Networks at work, keepin' people calm
Ya know they murdered X
And tried to blame it on Islam
He turned the power to the have-nots
And then came the shot

Ugh!
What was the price on his head?
What was the price on his head!

I think I heard a shot
I think I heard a shot
I think I heard a shot
I think I heard a shot
I think I heard a shot
I think I heard, I think I heard a shot

He may be a real contender for this position should he
Abandon his supposed obedience to white liberal doctrine
Of non-violence and embrace black nationalism'
Through counter-intelligence it should be possible to
Pinpoint potential trouble-makers and neutralize them,
Neutralize them, neutralize them'

Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!
Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!

How long? Not long, cause what you reap is what you sow

coastie
05-19-2014, 10:43 AM
You couldn't pay me to stay in such a school. A HS diploma today is practically worthless anyway.

Not a recent thing.

I'm 37. I have NEVER been asked to see my HS Diploma to get a job. N-E-V-E-R. I've never even heard of someone I know of having to actually show it.

That includes when I joined the USCG in January 2002.

angelatc
05-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Not a recent thing.

I'm 37. I have NEVER been asked to see my HS Diploma to get a job. N-E-V-E-R. I've never even heard of someone I know of having to actually show it.

That includes when I joined the USCG in January 2002.

But I think that the end of those days is upon us. The national database will make it so cheap and simple to verify that it will be simply a matter of routine to do so. Credentials are going to be far more important in this brave new world than ever before. Working your way up the ladder will become more like a miitary experience, where you can be by far the most talented person in your position, but without the proper credentials you will be literally ineligible to rise to the next level no matter how good you are and how much people like you.

coastie
05-19-2014, 11:27 AM
But I think that the end of those days is upon us. The national database will make it so cheap and simple to verify that it will be simply a matter of routine to do so. Credentials are going to be far more important in this brave new world than ever before. Working your way up the ladder will become more like a miitary experience, where you can be by far the most talented person in your position, but without the proper credentials you will be literally ineligible to rise to the next level no matter how good you are and how much people like you.

LMAO.....Not so, in today's military, ma'am. How much people like you is DIRECTLY proportionate to where you end up both on the totem pole, and duty station.

Credentials nowadays are nothing more than a piece of paper saying so. Actual talent is not necessary, because as long as they like you....

jtap
05-19-2014, 11:55 AM
If I have to tuck my shirt in I like having a belt and feel a bit weird without one. Sometimes I forget my belt (maybe once or twice a year). Should someone be suspended for forgetting a belt if they forget at the same frequency as I do? That's pathetic.

As a kid I didn't like having a uniform in school but as I got older (high school) I started to like knowing what I was going to wear and not having to worry about having enough "cool clothes" to wear and items to fit in and impress others. :rolleyes:

DamianTV
05-19-2014, 04:28 PM
But but but not on your own property, school doesnt belong to you, and contracts n stuff and and and they has unlimited authority to tell you what ever the fuck they want to tell you!

RickyJ
05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
If I got suspended for something like this I would be happy, not sad. Any day I can be away from so many idiots I would count as a reward, not a punishment.

Quark
05-20-2014, 05:28 PM
But but but not on your own property, school doesnt belong to you, and contracts n stuff and and and they has unlimited authority to tell you what ever the fuck they want to tell you!

School property is not legitimately owned (it is funded by stolen property.) So the rules of property rights don't apply.

angelatc
05-23-2014, 04:28 PM
LMAO.....Not so, in today's military, ma'am. How much people like you is DIRECTLY proportionate to where you end up both on the totem pole, and duty station. Credentials nowadays are nothing more than a piece of paper saying so. Actual talent is not necessary, because as long as they like you....

Without a college degree, the highest you can go in the military is E-9 (http://www.defense.gov/about/insignias/enlisted.aspx).

DamianTV
05-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Without a college degree, the highest you can go in the military is E-9 (http://www.defense.gov/about/insignias/enlisted.aspx).

True, but, whose fault is that? Military? Low quality of education in order to upsell higher education? Those without the ability to afford a higher education? Sorry, but the military doesnt pay well enough to afford many degrees.