PDA

View Full Version : The Modern Parallels are striking

Cissy
05-16-2014, 11:33 PM
From Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe).

The Stranger has just finished speaking with a wicked slaveowner who just finished describing his treatment of his slaves.

The stranger turned away, and seated himself beside a gentleman who had been listening to the conversation with repressed uneasiness.

"You must not take that fellow to be any specimen of Southern planters," said he.

"I should hope not," said the young gentleman, with emphasis.

"He is a mean, low, brutal fellow," said the other.

"And yet your laws allow him to hold any number of human beings subject to his absolute will, without even a shadow of protection; and, low as he is, you cannot say that there are not many such."

"Well," said the other, "there are also many considerate and humane men among planters."

"Granted," said the young man; "but, in my opinion, it is you considerate, humane men that are responsible for all the brutality and outrage wrought by these wretches; because, if it were not for your sanction and influence, the whole system could not keep foothold for an hour. If there were no planters except such as that one," said he, pointing with his finger to Legree, who stood with his back to them, "the whole thing would go down like a millstone. It is your respectability and humanity that licenses and protects his brutality."

And that is why passages like this (and books like this) are classics: timeless, relevant to all generations.

Cissy
05-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Good read, if you've never taken the time to read it. Add it to your reading list.

ClydeCoulter
05-17-2014, 12:26 PM
While I get the point that you are trying to make...

The same could be said for anything. If it weren't for the responsible gun owners protecting the institution of gun ownership...

There are some things worthy of upholding regardless of those that abuse it, and there are some things that are not. Those that would subject men to their whims will use any and all emotional means to do so.

Tod
05-17-2014, 01:02 PM
While I get the point that you are trying to make...

The same could be said for anything. If it weren't for the responsible gun owners protecting the institution of gun ownership...

There are some things worthy of upholding regardless of those that abuse it, and there are some things that are not. Those that would subject men to their whims will use any and all emotional means to do so.

I took it more to be about freedom than about control. For example, it is all the "reasonable" uses for tax money that cons people into thinking that taxation is not theft. Taxation is another thing that is not worthy of upholding regardless of all the "reasonable" taxes that are imposed.